Old March 21st 04, 04:17 PM
Leigh

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in
:

For those of you who have the necessary technical
motivation to understand how things work, have become
interested in Ham Radio but are confused by the
attitudes and activities of those who are really no
more than CBers-Masquerading-As-Radio-Hams,
I append a short article explaining the difference.....

How about you widen the circulation of this article to more
rec.radio.amateur groups Gareth.

Tell everyone where they are going wrong.

Or are you too chicken?

Leigh...
Old March 21st 04, 04:22 PM
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

In article ,
says...

For those of you who have the necessary technical
motivation to understand how things work, have become
interested in Ham Radio but are confused by the
attitudes and activities of those who are really no
more than CBers-Masquerading-As-Radio-Hams,
I append a short article explaining the difference.....

snip destructive propaganda

For someone who claims such a broad base of knowledge, your
viewpoint is pretty short-sighted.

The Amateur Radio SERVICE has something to offer EVERYone, and
those licensed under its regulations each have the potential to
contribute in ways unique to the individual licensee. Recognizing that
no two people will ever contribute in the same way, and that some will
never contribute more than their presence on the airwaves, is simply
part of the hobby.

There is truth to some of what you're saying, in terms of the
service producing many fine engineers and engineering techs, and of it
being home to those who love to tinker (I know, because that's a big
reason why I got into it). However, it is not required that all of
amateur radio's participants be fully qualified to "design, build, and
operate," as you state.

I suggest you take a good hard look at this link:

http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...s/news/part97/

Pay particular attention to paragraphs a, c, and e.

Amateur radio's real enemy is not those who don't know an
oscilloscope probe from a soldering pencil. No, the real danger to
amateur radio comes from those, like you, who display nothing but
intolerance to newcomers who are interested in the hobby, but who may
never have picked up a multimeter in their lives.

So: Instead of responding to newcomers with elitism and arrogance,
try responding as an "Elmer." Inform them about the purposes behind the
service, and explain about the responsibilities that a license carries.
Also explain that the Amateur Radio service, like any other hobby, is a
mirror: The 'reward' one gets out is directly proportional to what one
puts into it.

Remember: People learn by example.

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"

Old March 21st 04, 04:26 PM
Phillip Jockell

Mr. Bean (no disrespect intended),

Well done. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Anecdotaly (sp ?) those very thoughts came to me a couple years
ago when a local Extra class operator (here in the colonies) was
on the two meter repeater desperately looking for someone to
repair his malfunctioning 12 volt DC power supply for him.

His highest-class-license meant nothing. Seems he had memorized
enough to pass his test and had no technical ability at all.
My thoughts at the time were that he was about 9 meters short
of where he belonged.

I know this thread will have a much longer life than it should
and it is close to being off topic (if not entirely), but I
couldn't resist agreeing with you.

73,

Phil - N4GWV

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in news:c3jtq9$27suha$3@ID-
217727.news.uni-berlin.de:

Old March 21st 04, 04:27 PM
Airy R. Bean

I hear what you say, but I disagree with you.
It is entirely relevant to homebrew, which is the
essence of Ham Radio.

"Michael Black" wrote in message
"Airy R. Bean" ) writes:
Is there some reason you see fit to cross-post your threads
to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew?
Cross-posting is bad enough, but we hardly need to hear how
amateur radio is a technical hobby when that's the main interest
of the newsgroup.
Stay out of rec.radio.amateur.homebrew if all you're doing is
crossposting Bean.

Old March 21st 04, 04:31 PM
Airy R. Bean

No. It is not short-sighted. Ham Radio is a technical
pursuit with technical privileges and I wish it to remain so.
Any sitting-on-the-sidelines while the Mongolian hordes
of turnip-brained CBers pour in is ill-advised because the
powers-that-be will come to perceive Ham Radio to have
become indistinguishable from CB Radio and the technical
privileges will be in danger of being withdrawn.

Far from being short-sighted, the viewpoint that I
express is long-sighted.

"Dr. Anton T. Squeegee" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Old March 21st 04, 04:36 PM
Airy R. Bean

I disagree with you there. To welcome and to encourage
newcomers who have already demonstrated their future relevance
by being technically motivated is one thing, but to
swell the ranks, just for the sake of swelling, with those
who are CBers, and who will always remain CBers, and
will never be more than CBers-Masquerading-As-Radio-Hams
is quite another.

BTW, It is CB Radio that is a "hobby". Ham Radio is a technical
pursuit.