Old July 14th 04, 07:29 AM
Gregg

Behold, nospam signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

There's just not enough VHF homebrew out there!

To the writer of this: very true!

Greg:
IMHO, we can thank that no-code licence that restricts you to
commercially-made equipment for this.

You are flat out wrong. I am nocode and an engineer that loves to
homebrew VHF gear. Wander up to 6m and catch me running QRP SSB some
time. I have five 6m rigs, only one is commercial.

rant
Our respective IC and FCC want all V/UHF HAM's to be glorified CB'ers
/rant

Watch that paint brush, you may smear a few people with muck that don't
deserve it.

Allison

Point taken. I was angry when I wrote. Apologies to the ones that don't
deserve the muck ;-)

--
Gregg
*It's probably useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old July 14th 04, 07:31 AM
Gregg

Behold, ehsjr signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Alex wrote:

I have had a good search around but couln't find what i was after, has
anyone come across any information about 6m homebrew or could someone
point me in the right direction web site wise

many thanks

Not strictly home brew - but Ten-Tec offers a transverter kit for 20
meteres to 6 meters. The kit is readily and easily modifiable for 10
meters to 6 meters - I did it, as have others. And there are 10 meter
all mode radios at hamfests typically about 125 - 150 bucks. I got one
that was broken for $50 - all it needed was an electrolytic capacitor.

Kits are a GREAT way, IMO, a new person can learn. Hey, when I was 6, I
learned from Heathkit! :-)

Old July 14th 04, 08:09 AM
Dieter Mayr

"Alex" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have had a good search around but couln't find what i was after, has
anyone come across any information about 6m homebrew or could someone

point
me in the right direction web site wise

many thanks

Hello Alex

Have a look at http://www.qsl.net/7n3wvm/
There u will find a 6m Trancceiver.
Maybe thats what ur lookig for ?

72
Dieter OE2CDM

Old July 14th 04, 10:33 AM
Gary S.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:43:12 -0400, "R J Carpenter"
wrote:

it would be illegal to use it. As an aside, I wonder what happens to a US
no-code ham with a homebrew transmitter who operates in Canada....

There are reciprocal privileges, but my interpretation is when
operating in Canada, one is required to follow (and be aware of) all
of the Industry Canada (equivalent of FCC) regulations.

If you see http://www.rac.ca/regulatory/rcip.htm

you will find the following:
"Americans operating in Canada, must abide by Industry Canada RIC-2

- A US amateur who is qualified to send and receive in Morse code at
a speed of at least 5 wpm may operate an amateur station in Canada in
accordance with the provisions applicable to the holder of an Amateur
Operator's Certificate with Basic, Morse Code (5 wpm) and Advanced
Qualifications.

- A US amateur who is not qualified to send and receive in Morse code
may operate an amateur station in Canada in accordance with provisions
applicable to the holder of the Amateur Operator's Certificate with
Basic and Advanced Qualifications."

Again, RIC-2 would be equivalent to Part 97.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA
Old July 14th 04, 10:38 AM
R J Carpenter

Sorry for the top-post, but good that a Canadian who understands their
system straightens this out.

Thanks.

bob

"Michael Black" wrote in message
"R J Carpenter" ) writes:

Yes and no. Agreed, code proficiency is not related to the ABILITY to

do
homebrew.

If, as I think is true , the authorities (Canadian) forbid you to use a
homebrew transmitter with a no-code licence, it is wrong to say that

code
proficiency doesn't come into it. OK, you could build the transmitter,

but
it would be illegal to use it. As an aside, I wonder what happens to a

US
no-code ham with a homebrew transmitter who operates in Canada....

73 de bob w3otc

No, code has nothing to do with it.

It's the written test that determines whether or not someone can build

their
own transmitter, or rather use it.

Up till 1990, there were two licenses, amateur and advanced, and each had
a code test. (Oh, there was also the digital license, introduced in 1978,
that required no code test, but was limited to only some VHF/UHF bands,
and the focus was for digital work. It barely got noticed after it was
introduced.) But then restructuring came along. The code test was spun
out, and the test for the entry level license was apparently simplified.
I've never really seen the new test, but the whole point of the
restructuring was to make it easier for newcomers to the hobby. And for
the basic license, it was decided that few were interested in building,
so there was no sense making the test to deal with such details. The

tradeoff
was that you cannot use a home made transmitter with that license.

The advanced test allows for building transmitters, and higher power (a
kilowatt instead of 250W), and I think it is needed to run a repeater.

The code test was not required for either license, but then you could not
operate below 30MHz. Hence, you could have an advanced license, but not
have passed the code test, and the result was you'd have full priviliges,
but only above 30MHz.

There were two levels of code test. 5wpm got you full privileges below
4MHz, ie 160 and 80 metres, but nothing else at HF. (I think that may

have
been changed, for more HF useage, but I can't remember.)

The 12wpm code test gave in effect full priviliges, minus the bits the
advanced test allowed.

So it was rather a mix and match system.

Michael VE2BVW

Old July 14th 04, 11:43 AM
Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH

Gregg wrote in news:Rm4Jc.43518$Rf.15803@edtnps84:

Funny thing is, CB'ers regularily communicate globally with 4W AM,
12PEP SSB

Since when? Speaking from experience in the field, if it comes from a CB
shop, it's not running 4W or less unless you bought it while wearing your
FCC Enforcement Division T-shirt. Most of the WalMart radio crowd isn't
DXing.

Old July 14th 04, 12:00 PM
Gregg

Behold, Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Gregg wrote in news:Rm4Jc.43518$Rf.15803@edtnps84:

Funny thing is, CB'ers regularily communicate globally with 4W AM,
12PEP SSB

Since when? Speaking from experience in the field, if it comes from a CB
shop, it's not running 4W or less unless you bought it..............

I think there is a 1/2 dozen "true" CB shops left in Canada. The one here
in Vancouver looks very low on those seeking their rig "Peaked", because
they view them as n00bs and not worth their time.

Those running "footwarmers" usually only do so in the mobile, because of
our mountains.
............while wearing your FCC Enforcement Division T-shirt.

Why does everyone automatically assume I'm an American?

Lookie my signature - ....scorpiorising.CA

*sigh*

Old July 14th 04, 04:06 PM
Michael Black

Gregg ) writes:

However, when I went to go for my no-code class licence here (Canada), I
was told:

- without my 5WPM, I was restricted to:

1) 50MHz and above and
2) commercially made equipment

*shrug*

Sometimes, I wish I didn't let my VE4 lapse, which I did because of the
HAM attitudes in Winnipeg in 1982 when I did let it lapse.

You don't read the rules very carefully, do you?

Your certificate of proficiency is good for life. Unless you voluntarily
return it or the DOC or whatever it calls itself these days cancels it (and
you'd have to do something quite serious for that).

It's only the station license that you had to renew.

All you need to do is apply for a station license. And since everyone who
had a license was grandfathered (well maybe not the few holders of the
"Digital license"), you've got full priviliges even if you'd never gone
for the Advanced license years ago.

Of course, I'm not sure what happens these days, since one no longer pays
for a station license, and it's all one piece of paper. But I can't see
them forcing you to retest simly because you never renewed your callsigne.

As for what's what now, you'd want to read RIC-24 (unless they renumber it as
things change). My copy dates from July 1990, right after the restructuring.
It clearly shows that the Advanced test gives you the ability to build
transmitters, but code has nothing to do with it.

Michael VE2BVW

Old July 14th 04, 05:02 PM
Roger Gt

"Gregg" wrote in message
:
: Why does everyone automatically assume I'm an American?

Because of your intelligent comments!

Old July 14th 04, 10:56 PM
Gregg

Behold, Roger Gt signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

"Gregg" wrote in message
news:9n8Jc.43709$Rf.18469@edtnps84... : : Why does everyone
automatically assume I'm an American?

Because of your intelligent comments!