Old July 14th 04, 11:06 PM
Tim Wescott

Gregg wrote:

Behold, Joe Bramblett, KD5NRH signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Gregg wrote in news:Rm4Jc.43518$Rf.15803@edtnps84:

Funny thing is, CB'ers regularily communicate globally with 4W AM,
12PEP SSB

Since when? Speaking from experience in the field, if it comes from a CB
shop, it's not running 4W or less unless you bought it..............

I think there is a 1/2 dozen "true" CB shops left in Canada. The one here
in Vancouver looks very low on those seeking their rig "Peaked", because
they view them as n00bs and not worth their time.

Those running "footwarmers" usually only do so in the mobile, because of
our mountains.

............while wearing your FCC Enforcement Division T-shirt.

Why does everyone automatically assume I'm an American?

Lookie my signature - ....scorpiorising.CA

*sigh*

Yes, but we just take that 'ca' to mean that you're from California.

After all, if we weren't so US-centric we'd remember that there's more
countries on the American continents than the USA, and 'American' would
mean something a little more global.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Old July 16th 04, 11:18 AM
Marty

"R J Carpenter" wrote in message

Sorry for the top-post, but good that a Canadian who understands their
system straightens this out.

Thanks.

bob

Agree - I was starting to get confuddled!!! And here I was thinking the
Australian system was/is/maybe confusing ;-)

Martin, VK2UMJ

PS - Our proposed Foundation Licence which should come in next year will
only permit the use of "unmodified transmitting equipment of commercial
manufacture" with 10W PEP, however antenna experimentation will still be
permitted....

"Michael Black" wrote in message
"R J Carpenter" ) writes:

Yes and no. Agreed, code proficiency is not related to the ABILITY to

do
homebrew.

If, as I think is true , the authorities (Canadian) forbid you to use

homebrew transmitter with a no-code licence, it is wrong to say that

code
proficiency doesn't come into it. OK, you could build the

transmitter,
but
it would be illegal to use it. As an aside, I wonder what happens to

US
no-code ham with a homebrew transmitter who operates in Canada....

73 de bob w3otc

No, code has nothing to do with it.

It's the written test that determines whether or not someone can build

their
own transmitter, or rather use it.

Up till 1990, there were two licenses, amateur and advanced, and each

had
a code test. (Oh, there was also the digital license, introduced in

1978,
that required no code test, but was limited to only some VHF/UHF bands,
and the focus was for digital work. It barely got noticed after it was
introduced.) But then restructuring came along. The code test was spun
out, and the test for the entry level license was apparently simplified.
I've never really seen the new test, but the whole point of the
restructuring was to make it easier for newcomers to the hobby. And for
the basic license, it was decided that few were interested in building,
so there was no sense making the test to deal with such details. The

tradeoff
was that you cannot use a home made transmitter with that license.

The advanced test allows for building transmitters, and higher power (a
kilowatt instead of 250W), and I think it is needed to run a repeater.

The code test was not required for either license, but then you could

not
operate below 30MHz. Hence, you could have an advanced license, but not
have passed the code test, and the result was you'd have full

priviliges,
but only above 30MHz.

There were two levels of code test. 5wpm got you full privileges below
4MHz, ie 160 and 80 metres, but nothing else at HF. (I think that may

have
been changed, for more HF useage, but I can't remember.)

The 12wpm code test gave in effect full priviliges, minus the bits the
advanced test allowed.

So it was rather a mix and match system.

Michael VE2BVW

Old July 16th 04, 05:54 PM
Tim Wescott

"Marty" wrote in message

PS - Our proposed Foundation Licence which should come in next year will
only permit the use of "unmodified transmitting equipment of commercial
manufacture" with 10W PEP, however antenna experimentation will still be
permitted....

Well, the difference in the US is that CB is now effectively
license-free (I think the legal side-stepping is that you have a license
by virtue of having the equipment). Makes it interesting when the FCC
wants to deal with a CB'er with a 1kW linear and "extra channels" up
into the VHF bands.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Old July 17th 04, 07:26 AM
Martin

"Airy R. Bean" wrote in message
And the difference between that and a CB licence is......?

No CB licence in Australia!!!

Seriously, the Aus. Foundation Licence will require limited Regs and similar
theory as the UK Foundation licence. It will give access to 80m (less DX
window), 40m, 15m, 10m, 2m and 70cm, at 10W PEP, voice or hand sent CW only
(umm, with no CW test that is..), unmodified commercial equipment only.

And, for those taht haven't heard yet but are interested (for whatever
reason):

Then we'll step up to the 'Standard' licence, which is our current Novice...
Some slight reduction in theory and again, no CW exam, but all bands for
foundation PLUS 20m, top half of 6m, 2m, 70cm, 23cm, 13cm and 6cm, at 100W
PEP, may construct own equipment.

Last will be our Advanced, which will be our current full call, limited and
intermediate. Again no CW but full regs and slightly more theory, all
bands, 400W PEP, etc, etc, etc...

Cheers

Martin, VK2UMJ

Old July 17th 04, 05:03 PM
Highland Ham

And the difference between that and a CB licence is......?

That the Foundation licensee is permitted to operate on some or most of the
amateur radio bands..............and that is quite a difference.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH