Old June 21st 05, 12:47 AM

Default Need schematic / documentation on 2 Heath items

I've got 2 hot hamfest finds so far this season and need documentation
both of them. If you have leads on schematics or mauals, I'd ppreciate
hearing from you.

Here are the items:

1. A Heath HA-201A 2 meter fm amplifier. A schematic would allow me to
figure out how to re-bias this amp for linear service. Please note that
this is quite different from the HA-201 (without the "A" suffix) for
which there IS documentation at the BAMA site.

3. A Heath IB-1102 nixie based frequency counter. It's currently in
working condition but it triggers poorly at high frequencies. A
schematic / manual would allwo me to re-adjust it / modify it for more
reiable opearation at 100 MHz.
A kind member of rec.radio.amateur.eqipment was able to get me a
schematic for the similar IB-1101, and it will help some, but one for
the IB-1102 would help more !

The commercial sources for documentation on these 2 items are
asking very high (way more than the cost of the items themselves)
prices for the paper work.

Thanks in advance for any leads.

73,
Lenny W2BVH

Old June 21st 05, 01:10 AM
Tim Wescott

[...]

As of 15 years ago you could still call up Heath/Zenith and get manuals
for much of the old equipment -- I was astounded when it worked for me.
I have absolutely no idea if they still support the old stuff, but
there's nothing they can do to you over the phone that makes it not
worth a call (unless you know for a fact they don't support the old
heathkit stuff any more).

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Old June 21st 05, 11:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I called Zenith (now LG Electronics) twice.
First to talk to "customer service" who never heard of Heathkit and
said they don't carry manuals. She had some trouble formulating a
complete English sentence, so I didn't trust her reply.
My second call was to "parts". After 15 minutes on hold, I decided it
wasn't worth any more time, given the (un) likelihood of a positive
response.
Well, I guess I'll try one more rec.radio.amateur subgroup and see what
happens. Hope springs eternal :-)

Old June 22nd 05, 07:11 AM
john graesser

The commercial sources for documentation on these 2 items are
asking very high (way more than the cost of the items themselves)
prices for the paper work.

Welcome to the boatanchor world, for old computers it is even worse,
documentation was rarely taken care of as well as radio docs. For my old
computer collection, I regularly expect to pay more for docs than the
computer.

Even setting up archives of this sort of material doesn't work past the
death of the collector. The cp/m computer world lost the person who was
collecting boot disks for all machines and now can't seem to get the disks
back.
thanks, John.
KC5DWD

Old June 22nd 05, 10:49 AM
Highland Ham

There's a www.heathkit.com that carries some of the same educational kits
that the old Heathkit used to, and it's in Michigan.

===========================
And even in the same place.
From the training kit on offer I recognise a similar design as the ET-3300
Laboratory Breadboard , I bought in kit form in the mid 1970s ,which I still
use on a regular basis.
Heathkit is definitely not dead,be it they now supply somewhat different
products,to suit today's world...................good to see that !

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old June 22nd 05, 07:12 PM
Steve Nosko

There at least two (ham) places on line that sell old manuals (copies).
Several places on line with free download. I ordered a Heath tube checker
manual from one - don't remember which, but it was a ham.

Here are my bookmarks (all work today):
http://www.sarrio.com/sarrio/products.html
Go down to "Vintage Manuals for radios and test equipment:"
He shows Both of these
Heathkit (C) HA-201A Amplifier $20
Heathkit (C) IB-1102 Freq Counter $32

HEATHKIT KEY
C = COMPLETE MANUAL (EVERYTHING)
F = (F) (Photo, Specs., Schematic)
P = PARTIAL MANUAL (No construction detail)

http://www.btinternet.com/~geoffrey.brown3/manuals/

http://bama.sbc.edu/free.htm
(Looks like you know about this one)

Do a Google on "manuals Ham radio vintage" and you'll get many hits.

73, Steve, K;9.D,C'I

ps.com...