Old August 21st 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Diamond Terrace

"Dave Heil" wrote in message

[snip]

: : I'm holding out for my name on the Men's Room at the
: : Madonna Inn between San Francisco and L.A. on the 101.
: :
: : Dave K8MN

Hey, I might well be passing there in a couple of months, shall I look out
for it..?!

73 Ivor G6URP

Old August 21st 07, 04:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Ivor Jones wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote in message

[snip]

: : I'm holding out for my name on the Men's Room at the
: : Madonna Inn between San Francisco and L.A. on the 101.
: :
: : Dave K8MN

Hey, I might well be passing there in a couple of months, shall I look
out for it..?!

The motel is easy to spot. It is pink and stone and looks like
something designed by a demented Playboy Bunny. Go down the stairs at
the right side of the main lobby. One of the Men's room fixtures must
be seen to be believed!

Dave K8MN

Old August 22nd 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Senior Member

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
I don't mind the idea that someone will be walking on bricks engraved with the
call of a silent key. I mind the idea that the League will take a 35 cent
brick, engrave it and charge someone a couple of hundred bucks to place it
someplace where the donor will likely never have a chance to enjoy his pricey
purchase.

Give a 5-dollar bill to a Legionaire, and they'll present you with a 3-cent
paper poppy. It's a "token" of your donation, just like the 35-cent brick.

The Man in the Maze
QRL at Baboquivari Peak, AZ

--
Iitoi

Old August 22nd 07, 06:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Iitoi wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote in message
I don't mind the idea that someone will be walking on bricks engraved with the
call of a silent key. I mind the idea that the League will take a 35 cent
brick, engrave it and charge someone a couple of hundred bucks to place it
someplace where the donor will likely never have a chance to enjoy his pricey
purchase.

Give a 5-dollar bill to a Legionaire, and they'll present you with a 3-cent
paper poppy. It's a "token" of your donation, just like the 35-cent brick.

Actually, the Legionaire will just say thanks. A VFW member will give
you a poppy--even for a dime or a quarter.

Dave K8MN

Old August 22nd 07, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Michael Coslo writes:

In the money raising game, it becomes difficult to come up with good
ideas to raise that cash. Membership fees are one way. But when extra is
needed, new ideas are needed. Sometimes a group will offer "lifetime"
memberships. These can generate a bit more spending money. Those are a
good deal for someone who became a lifetime member a long time ago,
(what did a lifetime membership cost in 1970?) but that money is long gone.

I think it was $170.00 that I paid in 1971...
--
A host is a host from coast to

Old August 22nd 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated
Senior Member

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
Those are a good deal for someone who became a lifetime member a long time
ago, (what did a lifetime membership cost in 1970?) but that money is long
gone.

The money isn't "long gone". Conventional practice for nonprofits is to invest
'life member' funds in a trust and withdraw based on an actuarial model.

The Man in the Maze
QRU on Baboquivari Peak, AZ

--
Iitoi

Old August 22nd 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

David Lesher wrote:
Michael Coslo writes:

In the money raising game, it becomes difficult to come up with good
ideas to raise that cash. Membership fees are one way. But when extra is
needed, new ideas are needed. Sometimes a group will offer "lifetime"
memberships. These can generate a bit more spending money. Those are a
good deal for someone who became a lifetime member a long time ago,
(what did a lifetime membership cost in 1970?) but that money is long gone.

I think it was $170.00 that I paid in 1971...

There ya go! Assuming that you joined at this time that year, your
membership has cost $4.72 per year, and can only get smaller! Not a bad
deal at all. My thoughts are that while that money was probably pretty
handy for them in 1971, it was just one time money, and then a sort of
deficit thereafter.

- 73 de mike KB3EIA -

Old August 22nd 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Aug 22, 1:44 pm, Michael Coslo wrote:
David Lesher wrote:
Michael Coslo writes:

In the money raising game, it becomes difficult to come up with good
ideas to raise that cash. Membership fees are one way. But when extra is
needed, new ideas are needed. Sometimes a group will offer "lifetime"
memberships. These can generate a bit more spending money. Those are a
good deal for someone who became a lifetime member a long time ago,
(what did a lifetime membership cost in 1970?) but that money is long gone.

I think it was $170.00 that I paid in 1971...

There ya go! Assuming that you joined at this time that year, your
membership has cost $4.72 per year, and can only get smaller! Not a bad
deal at all. My thoughts are that while that money was probably pretty
handy for them in 1971, it was just one time money, and then a sort of
deficit thereafter.

Those monies have been invested over the years and have become a
helluva wad.

- 73 de mike KB3EIA -

w3rv

Old August 22nd 07, 11:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:42:00 EDT, Michael Coslo wrote:

Around $815 at 5 percent annual interest. In itself not too bad, but
they didn't just invest all that money. Some percentage had to go toward
operating expenses.

My impression was that they invested the money and lived off the
interest without touching the principal.
--

73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest

Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon