Old September 17th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default The "Diamond Terrace"

Dave,

I understand the feelings, but I think that there is more to the
"Diamond Terrace" than just a bunch of bricks that folks walk on. I
believe that the point of this idea is to help fund the ARRL and not
just to put bricks on the ground. There are a number of ways to
donate to the ARRL, this diamond terrace thing is just the latest
fundraising idea. (Which by the way doesn't originate with the ARRL.
I've seen this, get a special brick made thing, used for a number of
years.)

I really don't think the intent was to offend anybody, only to provide
a means of raising money for the ARRL. To that end I'm OK with it,
though I am unlikely to participate for many of the same reasons you
don't like the idea.

-= Bob =-

On Sep 17, 9:23 am, David Stinson wrote:

The ARRL "Diamond Terrace:"
There are several people I'd like to commemorate,
but the idea of putting their names under foot,
where teenagers spit their gum
and people wipe excrement off their shoes
is appalling beyond words.

Old September 17th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"KC4UAI" wrote ...
I understand the feelings, but I think that there is more to the
"Diamond Terrace" than just a bunch of bricks that folks walk on. I
believe that the point of this idea is to help fund the ARRL and not
just to put bricks on the ground. There are a number of ways to
donate to the ARRL, this diamond terrace thing is just the latest
fundraising idea. (Which by the way doesn't originate with the ARRL.
I've seen this, get a special brick made thing, used for a number of
years.)

I really don't think the intent was to offend anybody, only to provide
a means of raising money for the ARRL. To that end I'm OK with it,
though I am unlikely to participate for many of the same reasons you
don't like the idea.

OTOH, many of us could think of someone (or something)
that would give us a satisfying feeling to think that people
were walking all over it. And to raise $$ for the ARRL is just
an additional bennefit! :-)

Do you think they would put "BPL" on a brick? (Or "FCC"? :-)

Old September 17th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

KC4UAI wrote:
I really don't think the intent was to offend anybody, only to provide
a means of raising money for the ARRL.

Isn't the ARRL supposed to be non-profit?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Old September 17th 07, 08:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Cecil Moore" wrote ...
KC4UAI wrote:
I really don't think the intent was to offend anybody, only to provide
a means of raising money for the ARRL.

Isn't the ARRL supposed to be non-profit?

"Non profit" doesn't mean "zero-budget" or
"no-income" or "can't raise money by selling
bricks". Does it?

Old September 17th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Cecil Moore" wrote ...
Isn't the ARRL supposed to be non-profit?

"Non profit" doesn't mean "zero-budget" or
"no-income" or "can't raise money by selling
bricks". Does it?

Did you answer a question with another question? :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Old September 17th 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Cecil,

If you mean 501C 3 "non-profit" organization like the Red Cross,
United Way and the like, then the answer is "yes".

But you don't really think that selling these bricks for "profit" to
raise funds is a problem do you? Donations to the ARRL necessary to
get a 'brick" on the terrace are tax deductible. Just like buying
hymnals or seats with your choice of inscriptions for your local
church would be too. The University I graduated from has a similar
program where alumni can "donate" sums of money and get their choice
of inscriptions put on various things around the campus. Donate
enough and they will name a building after you, while you get the tax
write off. I don't see any problem with the ARRL doing their diamond
terrace thing from a tax law perspective.

-= bob =-

Old September 17th 07, 09:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Cecil Moore" wrote in ...
Richard Crowley wrote:
"Cecil Moore" wrote ...
Isn't the ARRL supposed to be non-profit?

"Non profit" doesn't mean "zero-budget" or
"no-income" or "can't raise money by selling
bricks". Does it?

Did you answer a question with another question? :-)

OK, remove the last sentence and try it as a
declarative statement. :-)

Old September 18th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Cecil Moore wrote:
Richard Crowley wrote:
"Cecil Moore" wrote ...
Isn't the ARRL supposed to be non-profit?

"Non profit" doesn't mean "zero-budget" or
"no-income" or "can't raise money by selling
bricks". Does it?

Did you answer a question with another question? :-)

Non-Profit institutions raise money in many ways. Bake sales, hoagie
sales, donate a vehicle and have it auctioned off with the proceeds
going to the nonprofit. Volunteer Fire companies do it a lot, so do many
other non-profits. It's actually a pretty good thing.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -

Old September 19th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Michael Coslo wrote:

Non-Profit institutions raise money in many ways. Bake sales, hoagie
sales, donate a vehicle and have it auctioned off with the proceeds
going to the nonprofit. Volunteer Fire companies do it a lot, so do many
other non-profits. It's actually a pretty good thing.

Once upon a time, the ARRL was able to pay its bills with dues
income, magazine sales and book sales. The fact that is must now resort
to such "creative" fundraising simply underlines the fact that it is
gradually but inexorably moving toward extinction.

Old September 19th 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

| Once upon a time, the ARRL was able to pay its bills with dues
|income, magazine sales and book sales. The fact that is must now resort
|to such "creative" fundraising simply underlines the fact that it is
|gradually but inexorably moving toward extinction.

Or greedy or just plain too fat with paid employees for it's own good.