Old November 11th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Default Linux for Hams

Mike Coslo wrote:

The Ubuntu repositories have a lot of apps, There are Ham specific ones,
such as loggers, digital mode software (linux even has AMTOR/PACTOR
transmitting software) there are antenna modeling programs, even a Smith
chart program. Lots of developer apps too.

There are quite a few electronic apps, such as transmission line
calculators, and a whole lot of other stuff that I am just finding out
about. More Hams need to check it out - I think the whole Operating
system is in line with "Ham Spirit".

Well I don't really care for Ubuntu myself, but I can see where folks
would like it. Personally I dislike it because it goes to great lengths
to isolate you from the Unix stuff, most notable is that you cannot log
into the "root" account from the GUI. Of course that's not usually a
good idea, but there are times when it just makes sense to be "root" on
a box.

For the folks that don't want to care about the Unix stuff, Ubuntu does
a good job of hiding a lot of that. It also has a "run from the CD" mode
that's kind of nice. You can run it without installing anything and see
what you think. If you don't like it, just take the CD out.

Where do you find the HAM stuff though? I've got a Ubuntu install that
I play with and I'd like to see what's built for it.

-= bob =-
(AKA KC4UAI)

Old November 11th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

"Kc4uai" wrote in message

It also has a "run from the CD" mode that's kind of nice. You can run it
without installing anything and see what you think. If you don't like it,
just take the CD out.

The Fedora project just announced a "spin" of Fedora called "Fedora
Electronic Lab". This is a live CD loaded up with electronics stuff.
Fedora includes a set of LiveCD tools to encourage custom spins. So far no
ham app spin, tho.

The problem with these Live CDs is that you still need to have a bit of
Linux savvy if you want to use the Live CD and save some data. It isn't
hard, but if you are using the Live CD to try out some Linux distro that can
be a pretty big barrier to fully enjoying it.

Old November 13th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated

Kc4uai wrote:

For the folks that don't want to care about the Unix stuff, Ubuntu does
a good job of hiding a lot of that. It also has a "run from the CD" mode
that's kind of nice. You can run it without installing anything and see
what you think. If you don't like it, just take the CD out.

Where do you find the HAM stuff though? I've got a Ubuntu install that
I play with and I'd like to see what's built for it.

Under Symantec, you can open up some extra repositories. I think theere
is one more standard Ubuntu repository, and a "universal" one. There are
both finished apps and various engines for developers. There are a
couple more repositories that have proprietary drives also.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Ten Tec rx 320 on linux user[_3_] Shortwave 0 April 3rd 08 06:51 PM
Ten Tec rx 320 on linux RHF Shortwave 0 April 3rd 08 11:57 AM
Can't run TCP/IP through AX.25 using Linux [email protected] Digital 15 February 17th 06 03:05 PM
Linux among hams KØHB General 5 July 22nd 05 04:42 AM
New Linux Box ! Al Patrick Shortwave 1 March 10th 05 02:49 AM