Old September 29th 06, 05:16 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Default CW Code Reader recommendation

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:53:59 -0700, "Sal M. Onella"
spake thusly:

"Al Klein" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 01:46:40 GMT, Opus- wrote:

You also have to believe that a bunch of beeps on the speaker is real
exciting.

Or that a bunch of lit pixels on the screen is.

What a shame that we all have to agree on how to be a ham. Oh, wait -- we
don't.

Effective right now, everything legal that anybody wants to do for their
personal enter-ham-tainment (don't try to look it up) is OK with me.

Works for me.
--

(Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94)

"What, Me Worry?" A. E. Newman

Please note: All unsolicited e-mail sent to me may, at
my discretion, be posted in this newsgroup verbatim.
Old September 29th 06, 04:18 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

Opus- wrote:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:40:15 -0400, Al Klein
spake thusly:

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 01:46:40 GMT, Opus- wrote:

You also have to believe that a bunch of beeps on the speaker is real
exciting.

Or that a bunch of lit pixels on the screen is.

Nice strawman. The pixels form a full complete picture. Beeps are just
beeps. One dimensional. That they form a recognizable pattern does not
make them more. Humans are highly visual creatures. I have listened to
code for years. Being able to make out a few letters does nothing for
me.

It's just plain dull.

Then do what most people do with dull stuff. They blow it off!

Say good night, Gracie.

Old September 30th 06, 12:57 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:18:30 -0400, Dave wrote:

[piggybacking]
Opus- wrote:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:40:15 -0400, Al Klein
spake thusly:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 01:46:40 GMT, Opus- wrote:

You also have to believe that a bunch of beeps on the speaker is real
exciting.

Or that a bunch of lit pixels on the screen is.

Nice strawman. The pixels form a full complete picture. Beeps are just
beeps.

And speech is just noise if you don't understand it.

One dimensional. That they form a recognizable pattern does not
make them more. Humans are highly visual creatures.

Which is why it was said, for many centuries, I suppose, that it's
speech that separates us from the animals. (We're a lot less visually
oriented than a lot of other species.)

I have listened to
code for years. Being able to make out a few letters does nothing for
me.

I have listened to Turkish for years. Being able to make out a few
words does nothing for me.

But there are a lot of Turks who feel otherwise.

Your insularity is showing.

Old September 30th 06, 01:36 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

wrote in :

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:22:24 GMT, Slow Code wrote:

Mark,
If ever there was proof of the dangers of dumbing down ham radio, you're
it.

nope you are looking at the glare on pc you are dumbing down of ham
radio you and all those that worship cw

No Markie, being able to communicate is good. Can you say, "is good"?

SC

Old September 30th 06, 07:54 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 19:57:18 -0400, Al Klein
spake thusly:

Opus- wrote:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:40:15 -0400, Al Klein
spake thusly:
On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 01:46:40 GMT, Opus- wrote:

You also have to believe that a bunch of beeps on the speaker is real
exciting.

Or that a bunch of lit pixels on the screen is.

Nice strawman. The pixels form a full complete picture. Beeps are just
beeps.

And speech is just noise if you don't understand it.

Speech has infection. You can say the same sentence 10 different ways
and it can have 10 different meanings depending on the emotion invoked
in the speech. You know....the HUMAN element.

One dimensional. That they form a recognizable pattern does not
make them more. Humans are highly visual creatures.

Which is why it was said, for many centuries, I suppose, that it's
speech that separates us from the animals. (We're a lot less visually
oriented than a lot of other species.)

See above.

I have listened to
code for years. Being able to make out a few letters does nothing for
me.

I have listened to Turkish for years. Being able to make out a few
words does nothing for me.

But there are a lot of Turks who feel otherwise.

Bet you can easily tell what kind of a mood the speaker is in just by
his tone. I don't speak Ukrainian but I sure knew when my grandmother
was mad at me.

Your insularity is showing.

Not insularity...humanity.

Old September 30th 06, 07:55 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 00:36:29 GMT, Slow Code spake
thusly:

wrote in :

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:22:24 GMT, Slow Code wrote:

Mark,
If ever there was proof of the dangers of dumbing down ham radio, you're
it.

nope you are looking at the glare on pc you are dumbing down of ham
radio you and all those that worship cw

No Markie, being able to communicate is good. Can you say, "is good"?

And communicating with human emotion as opposed to emotionless beeps
is better.

Old September 30th 06, 09:57 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

wrote in :

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:22:24 GMT, Slow Code wrote:

Mark,
If ever there was proof of the dangers of dumbing down ham radio, you're
it.

nope you are looking at the glare on pc you are dumbing down of ham
radio you and all those that worship cw

No Markie, being able to communicate is good. Can you say, "is good"?

And communicating with human emotion as opposed to emotionless beeps
is better.
--

(Jim, single dad to Lesleigh [Autistic] 04/20/94)

"What, Me Worry?" A. E. Newman

Please note: All unsolicited e-mail sent to me may, at
my discretion, be posted in this newsgroup verbatim.

==

Opus, none of my concern, but I have a five dollar bill that says Mark will
somehow stick his unasked-for comments into this topic. Just as I did. But
rest assured I will post just this one comment whereas Mark will post ad
infinatum.

Old September 30th 06, 01:08 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

wrote:

SNIPPED

you can't comuicate with CW there is no one to tlak to that way
http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

Please define "TLAK" so we can try to understand you. Is TLAK touching the
paddles on a keyer? Is TLAK using a J38? Does TLAK mean touching that mysterious
button titled CW on you radio?

Old September 30th 06, 07:54 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 06:54:33 GMT, Opus- wrote:

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 19:57:18 -0400, Al Klein
spake thusly:
On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 11:18:30 -0400, Dave wrote:

Nice strawman. The pixels form a full complete picture. Beeps are just
beeps.

And speech is just noise if you don't understand it.

Speech has infection.

Not if you keep your saliva to yourself.

You can say the same sentence 10 different ways
and it can have 10 different meanings depending on the emotion invoked
in the speech. You know....the HUMAN element.

ANY communication you don't understand, including CW, is like that.
You can't tell us what candy tastes like if you're standing on the
street looking through the window of the store.

One dimensional. That they form a recognizable pattern does not
make them more. Humans are highly visual creatures.

Which is why it was said, for many centuries, I suppose, that it's
speech that separates us from the animals. (We're a lot less visually
oriented than a lot of other species.)

See above.

You're simply wrong. Humans are aural creatures. Argue with me when
you get enough education in the subject that you're qualified to
discuss it.

I have listened to
code for years. Being able to make out a few letters does nothing for
me.

I have listened to Turkish for years. Being able to make out a few
words does nothing for me.

But there are a lot of Turks who feel otherwise.

Bet you can easily tell what kind of a mood the speaker is in just by
his tone.

I can tell that on the air too - in CW. I can't tell it here, so I
guess you'll be leaving Usenet.

I don't speak Ukrainian but I sure knew when my grandmother
was mad at me.

Not by her words, though, which is what you're claiming. So tell me,
what mood am I in at the moment? Evidently, since Usenet is a visual
medium, you can tell.

Or you just don't know what you're talking about.

Your insularity is showing.

Not insularity...humanity.

Which has nothing to do with communication, which every life form
participates in - even those who have no analog of vision.