Old December 27th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default So who won the "when does NoCode happen" pool?

Dee Flint wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Dee Flint wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Robert Casey wrote:
Back a year or three, there was a thread asking for peoples'
predictions
on when the FCC would do no-code for all licenses. So who came
closest?
I know that I didn't.

Hello Robert,

I don't know if the Report and Order has been published in the Federal
yet. The new rules cannot become effective until at least 30 days after
that.
I have been told that because the Report and Order modifies an earlier
one
(the "omnibus" R&O), the delay will be 60 days rather than 30, but I'm
not
sure if that is true.

As of last Friday, it had not been published in the Federal Register.

Thanks, Dee.

That means Dec 26 at the earliest. Effective date Jan 26 at the
earliest.

Every day it's not in the Federal Register, the effective date moves a
day....

This
new Report and Order do not modify the "omnibus" R & O and stands
completely
on its own.

??

I thought it modifies the "omnibus" R&O by moving the automated data
segment on 80 meters to 3585-3600.

Whether that invokes a 60 day rule is another issue.

The way it reads sounds like it is being treated as a "new" ruling rather
than modifying the last R&O. But it is hard to say until it is published on
what they will do with the implementation date.

Agreed.

I'd bet on 30 days, not 60.

However, it could easily be 60 days from the announcement as it
may take up to 30 days to get published in the Federal Register and then
another 30 days for its implementation date.

Agreed.

In any event it's at least a month away. Maybe more.

However, I've got my VE team ready to handle extra applicants in Feb, Mar, &
Apr. It's better to have extra people on hand and not need them than to be
short.

Excellent!

There may also be a rush of folks in the next few weeks who want to
upgrade or be licensed *before* the changes take place.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old December 27th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dave Heil wrote:
Unfortunately, none of those things will help in obtaining an amateur
radio license of any kind. I'm likewise busting a gut, "John". There's
always someone who is up for a challenge.

"Gettysburg" Address, "John".

Dave K8MN

And, FINALLY, neither will an autistic talent like "code tapping" assist
one in gaining an amateur ticket. Finally, CW is consigned to the trash
heap with sword swallowing--CW, a skill whose time has come, and gone ...

And, indeed, it could be stated that I am jealous of those who can tap
code at high speed. However, it felt as if I was just learning it to
get the ticket, would immediately attempt to forget it after, would
certainly NEVER use it, and was darn "pi$$ed off" at being forced to do
it just to get the dern ticket!!!

Regards,
JS

Old December 27th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

John Smith I wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
Unfortunately, none of those things will help in obtaining an amateur
radio license of any kind. I'm likewise busting a gut, "John".
There's always someone who is up for a challenge.

"Gettysburg" Address, "John".

Dave K8MN

And, FINALLY, neither will an autistic talent like "code tapping" assist
one in gaining an amateur ticket.

Neither learning or using the Morse Code has ever been an "autistic
talent" in any way, "John". It is a developed skill, like typing,
shooting, batting, throwing or a myriad of other talents.

Finally, CW is consigned to the trash
heap with sword swallowing--CW, a skill whose time has come, and gone ...

Sorry, "John", Morse Code is not being consigned to any trash heap. It
is used daily in making thousands of contacts by radio amateurs.

And, indeed, it could be stated that I am jealous of those who can tap
code at high speed.

It could be.

However, it felt as if I was just learning it to
get the ticket, would immediately attempt to forget it after, would
certainly NEVER use it, and was darn "pi$$ed off" at being forced to do
it just to get the dern ticket!!!

Perhaps you just needed an attitude adjustment, "John". I learned it in
its most fundamental form, by the sound of each letter, in Scouting. I
learned higher speeds just in order to get an amateur ticket. I wasn't
going to let anything stand in the way of my obtaining an amateur radio
license. Finally, I used it, became better at it and enjoyed it. I've
been enjoying its use for over 43 years now. I'll be enjoying it long
after code testing goes away.

Regards,
JS

Dave K8MN
Old December 27th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dave Heil wrote:
Dave K8MN

May the unwashed masses of chicken banders forever overload your yagi
with massive bleed over and horrendous harmonics; may they forever coat
your garage doors and house siding with crudely scrawled 10-codes! Let
your children be taught cb-ebonics in school ...

straight face
Regards,
JS
Old December 27th 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

John Smith I wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
Dave K8MN

May the unwashed masses of chicken banders forever overload your yagi
with massive bleed over and horrendous harmonics; may they forever coat
your garage doors and house siding with crudely scrawled 10-codes! Let
your children be taught cb-ebonics in school ...

Which yagi?

Most of 'em see the hides of other notorious CB scofflaws hanging on the
side of the barn and give this place a wide berth.

I heard a couple of vanity callsigned newbies on 160m SSB last night.
They were discussing whether the low inverted vee or the low dipole of
one of them was the better antenna for topband. I lump these characters
with the guys who are using a tuner through 150 feet of coaxial cable to
load a 75 meter dipole on 10m. They really don't know what they're missing.

Dave K8MN
Old December 28th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
ups.com...
Robert Casey wrote:
Back a year or three, there was a thread asking for peoples' predictions
on when the FCC would do no-code for all licenses. So who came closest?
I know that I didn't.

Hello Robert,

SNIP
Here's an update on the "when will FCC drop Element 1?" pool.
This means the effective date of the FCC action that completely
eliminates Morse Code testing for any class of amateur radio
license in the USA.

Note how almost all the predicted dates and all of the *second*
predicted dates have already passed:

WA2SI: September 13, 2003 (first prediction)
KF6TPT: September 29, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004 (first prediction)
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004 (first prediction)
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
WA2ISE: August 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
WK3C: December 30, 2004
N4PGW: May 22, 2005
N8UZE: July 1, 2005 (first prediction)
N3KIP: December 31, 2005 (second prediction)
N8UZE: January 31, 2006 (second prediction)
N2EY: March 1, 2006 (second prediction)
KB9RQZ: April 1, 2006
K2UNK: July 1, 2006 (second prediction)
AB2RC: July 1, 2007
KB3EIA: July 5, 2007
W5TIT: June 1, 2008
WA2SI: Complete elimination not within the foreseeable future (second
prediction)

Right now it looks like AB2RC is the winner, with K2UNK a close second.

Even though K2UNK's date is closer to the announcement date, the rule
states "effective date of the FCC action that completely eliminates
Morse Code testing for any class of amateur radio license in the USA".
Which cannot be any earlier than January 19, 2007, and will probably be
late February or even early March 2007 if the 60 day rule is in effect.

Hi Jim and the few others that can still post a mmessage in RRAP that
indicates some common sense, logic and respect.

Hey, a close second... :-)

Who'd a thought the FCC would footdrag as long as they did.

Maybe I should start a new pool, in which people get to predict the
growth
or decline in the number of US amateurs by a certain date after the new
rules.....

How about a pool on when the inmates running the RRAP asylum will
finalkly wear themselves out. I can't believe these characters have
the time which they devooote to their infintile and sophmoric
postings.

Cheers to the goodguys like Jim who have stuck it out.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Bill K2UNK