Old January 1st 07, 07:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default So who won the "when does NoCode happen" pool?

John Smith I wrote in news:cGYlh.25$WW2.223285
@news.sisna.com:

The big question is why Len is so interested in changing the rules of
amateur radio,
when he's not involved with amateur radio in any other way.

Perhaps it just bothers him that someone is having fun?

Now I'd say that must be a trick question, as certainly, on the surface,
it appears only a moron would ask such a thing!

I'd say Len would do little or nothing to hinder anyone from having
"fun." Now, for instance, say they were hogging up all the radio freqs
for a good 'ole boys club, he'd be a ****ed as hell--and rightly so!

That is all you are seeing. Len don't give a chit about children having
fun ...

JS

I must admit he could be annoyed at a load of Morse code operators
monopolising a chunk of phone spectrum. I always was too, but only because
I wanted to use that spectrum. He apparently doesn't want to use it, which
is a little harder to understand.

BTW, Len, I have an EE degree and used to work in an EMC lab (EMC being
what most people call radio interference, approximately speaking). Some
people hear that and jump to the conclusion that I was in ham radio
enforcement, which makes me laugh, because I never was. I could just add
that I moved into the law, but the same people would probably think that I
was prosecuting interference cases (!) whereas in fact I am a patent agent.

My point is that many hams are (or were) radio professionals, but not all
of us drop references to our professional experience when we are talking in
a group of hams, except where it's actually relevant to the discussion. I
have met a few people who claim they could never be hams because they have
professional experience in radio, but I have never understood that point of
view.

Get a licence and try 'slumming' on the ham bands, Len. You won't be the
only one, you know!

73 de Alun, N3KIP
Old January 1st 07, 10:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Alun L. Palmer" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Very well put, Alun. I oft wonder whether Len, with his condescending
attitude, considers or takes into mind that there are many of us in these
groups that are fairly well educated.
Len quite obviously views himself as being a self-appointed, master
"wordsmith" and finds a great amount of smug pleasure jousting with licensed
Amateurs.
I once saw it written that Mister Len was a Master of Flatus. It was an
accurate descriptor. To date I've seen nothing to rebut that description.

Old January 1st 07, 01:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Alun L. Palmer" wrote:

Get a licence and try 'slumming' on the ham bands, Len. You won't be the
only one, you know!

Alun,

You have to understand... Lennie doesn't *WANT* to get a ham license. He has
pretty much been posting the same drivel to this newsgroup for a decade. I
refer you to the following posting I made *7* years ago on this very topic:

-=- Begin Dejanews Quote

From: (Mike Deignan)
Subject: Anderson proposes new licensing restrictions
Date: 1999/02/17
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.policy

In article ,
N2EY wrote:

LAAh yes, the warm-hearted convivial stormtrooper from central africa
LAMUST make his SUPERIORITY known! Four year olds who can beep (along
LAwith parents who have conned the VEs into passing them) are considered
LA"superior" to those who are not licensed in the amateur radio service.

Anderson is challenged to show that there were any irregularities in the
testing of the young people involved.

Actually Jim, the above quote summarizes Lennie's problem in a nutshell.
It ****es him off to no end that 4-year olds are able to get ham radio
licenses, and he, well, can't (or won't).

Lennie's vitrol is sometimes amusing, most of the time boring. A cursory
review of DejaNews will show that Lennie has never had a kind word for
amateurs, or the amateur radio service.

Almost 2 decades ago when I was in my teens, we had a grandmother living
with us. She used to constantly bitch, moan, and complain. She was a
lonely, bitter old woman whose time had passed by, and her goal in life
was to make everyone else equally as miserable as her. She couldn't be
happy, then by golly neither would anyone else.

That's pretty much the Lennie Anderson of today. As a CB Radio operator,
for decades he has been on the outside of ham radio looking in. That nasty
code test has been 'holding him back'. And, by golly, if *HE* can't be a
ham operator, and be worshiped by the masses (the intellectual giant he
is), well, then nobody should be able to enjoy ham radio.

That's pretty much my mental image of Lennie. A senile old fart, rocking
in his corner rocking chair, who occasionally wipes the drool of his face,
plugs in his telephone to his 300 baud acoustic-coupler modem, and uses
his VT100 green-screen to spread hate and discontent.

MD

-=- End Quote

So, as you see Alun, nothing has changed over the past 7 years, except the
email address he uses when he posts.

73
KH6HZ

Old January 1st 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dave Heil wrote:
Well, CB John, it seems to have aroused some interest in you.

"CB John?" Hey, I kinda like the ring to that, it has potential, thanks!

I'd say Len would do little or nothing to hinder anyone from having
"fun."

Really? Looks like Len knows how to have fun to me, I can almost hear
him snickering now--perhaps just my imagination ...

I'm of the opinion that attending a social event where Len was present
would virtually guarantee an absence of fun. He has a gift.

Really? Darn, his dry wit makes me bust a gut often ... wonder how you
could miss that?

Now, for instance, say they were hogging up all the radio freqs for a
good 'ole boys club, he'd be a ****ed as hell--and rightly so!

Len isn't involved in the use of amateur radio frequencies. How is it
his right to be upset? Len isn't a licensed radio amateur.

What does being an amateur radio operator have to do with deciding how
to use the peoples radio frequencies?

That is all you are seeing. Len don't give a chit about children
having fun ...

That's incorrect, "John". Len has told us that he has a problem with
children participating in what he sees as an adult activity.

Now that is just plain false, misleading and outrageous, look at all the
fun Len has here--playing with the children!

JS

Old January 1st 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

John Smith I wrote:

Len don't give a chit about children having
fun ...

Well, actually he does - and not in a positive way.

There's never been a minimum age requirement for a US amateur radio
license.

Len thinks there should be such a requirement. He thinks no one under
the age of 14 years
should be able to get any class of US amateur license, regardless of
their ability to pass the license tests.

That's not just from his postings here - he put such a proposal into
one of his official comments to FCC.

When asked what problems were caused by lack of such a requirement, he
could not name a
single case where the youth of a licensed radio amateur caused an
enforcement problem. (In fact, many of the worst violators of Part 97
are about Len's age....;-) )

Every so often, there's a mention of some youngster who earned an
amateur radio license at a very early age. One such news item caused
Len to claim here that there must have been some kind of fraud at the
VE session, because he somehow knew that the youngsters pictured could
not have passed the license tests honestly.

Looks like Len doesn't want anyone under 14 years of age to experience
the fun of amateur
radio, regardless of what other qualifications they have, tests passed,
etc.

Old January 1st 07, 05:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:

Actually youngsters and their parents need to be concerned about every
person the youngster comes in contact with. Look at the news reports of
teachers who have taken advantage of young people. Keeping youngsters out
of an activity because they *might* run into a pedophile basically means
keeping them locked up at home. That just isn't going to work.

Dee, N8UZE

Yes Dee, a proper balance is difficult to achieve. Being the product of
a two parent family, where one parent was always at home to supervise my
activities and assist in providing for my well being, I now look back
and see the advantages and safety I enjoyed. It is difficult to see
that at a young age! I certainly didn't, but now I know I may be here
and alive just because of it.

With two parents working the youth of this day and age will have much
more difficulty in obtaining such safety, advantages and head start.

And, not only that, the world just seems to filled with more evil ...

Regards,
JS
Old January 1st 07, 07:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote:

Len thinks there should be such a requirement. He thinks no one under
the age of 14 years should be able to get any class of US amateur
license, regardless of their ability to pass the license tests.

Len has a (small) point.

Generally speaking, 14 year olds lack the knowledgebase to properly pass the
theory elements in higher license classes -- that is, without "memorization"
or "association" of the question pool contents.

That's not to say there are not child prodigies who can do it. Certainly,
I'm sure there are. However, if you took your average 10 or 12 year old and
tried to teach him/her algebra, geometry, etc... it simply isn't going to
happen. Thus, the only real way such an individual -- again, generally
speaking -- can pass the theory examinations is thru a) fraud, b) rote
memorization, or c) associative learning of the questions to answers.

What would be nice is, perhaps, a license class with very little theory,
mostly regulations, which younger generations could "step into" the hobby
with, gives them a broad spectrum of operating modes on limited frequencies,
and as they mature, they can upgrade into higher a higher license class.
Oops. That almost sounds like the novice license. We know the FCC isn't
going to introduce any MORE license classes, the trend for the past 20?
years has been to REDUCE licensing requirements and make it easier for
anyone to get a ham license.

73
KH6HZ