Old December 28th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default So who won the "when does NoCode happen" pool?

Bill Sohl wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Robert Casey wrote:
Back a year or three, there was a thread asking for peoples' predictions
on when the FCC would do no-code for all licenses. So who came closest?
I know that I didn't.

Hello Robert,

SNIP
Here's an update on the "when will FCC drop Element 1?" pool.
This means the effective date of the FCC action that completely
eliminates Morse Code testing for any class of amateur radio
license in the USA.

Note how almost all the predicted dates and all of the *second*
predicted dates have already passed:

WA2SI: September 13, 2003 (first prediction)
KF6TPT: September 29, 2003
KC8EPO: December 31, 2003
K2UNK: January 1, 2004 (first prediction)
K2ASP: March 15, 2004
AA2QA: April 1, 2004
N2EY: April 15, 2004
N3KIP: May 1, 2004 (first prediction)
KC8PMX: July 1, 2004
WA2ISE: August 1, 2004
K3LT: September 15, 2004
WK3C: December 30, 2004
N4PGW: May 22, 2005
N8UZE: July 1, 2005 (first prediction)
N3KIP: December 31, 2005 (second prediction)
N8UZE: January 31, 2006 (second prediction)
N2EY: March 1, 2006 (second prediction)
KB9RQZ: April 1, 2006
K2UNK: July 1, 2006 (second prediction)
AB2RC: July 1, 2007
KB3EIA: July 5, 2007
W5TIT: June 1, 2008
WA2SI: Complete elimination not within the foreseeable future (second
prediction)

Right now it looks like AB2RC is the winner, with K2UNK a close second.

Even though K2UNK's date is closer to the announcement date, the rule
states "effective date of the FCC action that completely eliminates
Morse Code testing for any class of amateur radio license in the USA".
Which cannot be any earlier than January 19, 2007, and will probably be
late February or even early March 2007 if the 60 day rule is in effect.

Hi Jim and the few others that can still post a mmessage in RRAP that
indicates some common sense, logic and respect.

Hello Bill!

Hey, a close second... :-)

Very close - but each day it gets closer to AB2RC's date.

Who'd a thought the FCC would footdrag as long as they did.

Not me! Heck, my *second* predicted date was almost a year ago, and my
first prediction almost three years ago.

When the treaty changed way back in 2003, the announcement on the ARRL
website said the process could take as long as two years. I thought
that was way too long. Turns out it's already more than 3-1/2 years!

Maybe I should start a new pool, in which people get to predict the
growth
or decline in the number of US amateurs by a certain date after the new
rules.....

How about a pool on when the inmates running the RRAP asylum will
finalkly wear themselves out. I can't believe these characters have
the time which they devooote to their infintile and sophmoric
postings.

The moderated version of rrap will come on line soon. That will be a
different game entirely.

I suspect that, given the recent "omnibus" R&O and the code test R&O,
we will not see more changes to Part 97 for a long time.

Cheers to the goodguys like Jim who have stuck it out.

Thanks, but my time here is limited. I'll continue to post the ARS
license numbers and make some occasional comments, but the noise level
is so high that I read perhaps 2% of what is posted to rrap.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Agreed. And a better 2007!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old December 28th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Bill Sohl wrote:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Bill K2UNK

Hi, Bill. Merry RamaHannaQuanzMas and a Happy New Year to you!

Old December 28th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Who'd a thought the FCC would footdrag as long as they did.

indeed I assume it was someone pleasing the ARRL

More likely the FCC guys just ran out of other things to take care of,
and finally got around to it...
Old December 28th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in
ups.com:

Bill Sohl wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Robert Casey wrote:
[...]

license in the USA". Which cannot be any earlier than January 19,
[...]

Hey Jim,

Since I started using Xnews, rrap is nice and clean.

I'm curious about the "moderated" version of rrap. Will it be fun
enough for the members? I've seen enough in here to know that part of
the fun is in the namecalling. Even if one doesn't engage in it, they
probably get something out of it. It just got way out of hand the past
year.

And regarding the pool, I still say let's not call it finished
until its finished.

Have a great New Year!

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old December 28th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Mike Coslo wrote:
wrote in
ups.com:

Bill Sohl wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Robert Casey wrote:
[...]

If only I had specified "announcement date", Bill would have won.

[...]

Hello Mike

Since I started using Xnews, rrap is nice and clean.

I shall look for Xnews. Been using Googlegroups and searching by
various words and callsigns. Still an incredible amount of noise.

I'm curious about the "moderated" version of rrap. Will it be fun
enough for the members?

Depends on what the members consider "fun".

I've seen enough in here to know that part of
the fun is in the namecalling.

For some. Not for me.

Even if one doesn't engage in it, they
probably get something out of it.

There *is* a certain satisfaction to pointing out when someone's
statements
are unsupported by facts and/or logic.

It just got way out of hand the past
year.

What I saw happen was a war of words in which a few would take over
every thread.

And regarding the pool, I still say let's not call it finished
until its finished.

I didn't call it finished. I simply said that AB2RC looks like the
winner.

If the effective date is July 2, 2007, you and AB2RC will be tied.
After that date, you'll be the frontrunner.

But July is a ways off. Even if it takes FCC 60 days to get the R&O in
the Federal Register, and even if the rules don't become effective
until 60 days after that, we're still talking late April or so. I think
it will happen a lot sooner.

The really interesting thing will be how the license numbers will be
affected.

Have a great New Year!

You, too. Straight Key Night starts on Sunday evening.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old December 28th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Change in ARS numbers

My prediction is that on the one year anniversary of the implementation that
the total numbers of of ARS licenses (excluding the categories that N2EY
excludes for consistency) will not differ from the numbers on the
implementation date by more than 1% either direction (plus or minus).

Anyone else? You can pick either "+" or "-" or "+/-". It must also be a
whole percentage not a fraction.

N8UZE, +/- 1%

In addition, it is my belief that "growth" won't really occur until the
"cell phone substitute" hams have let their license expire. Although cell
phones have been around for awhile now, they didn't really get affordable on
a family basis until roughly the year 2000. So that means little to no
growth until roughly the year 2010 in my opinion. At that time we will also
see the last of the Novice licenses virtually disappear as they will either
have upgraded or allowed their license to lapse. There may be a few that
continue to renew at that level but it will be few and far between.

Dee, N8UZE

Old December 28th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:
My prediction is that on the one year anniversary of the implementation that
the total numbers of of ARS licenses (excluding the categories that N2EY
excludes for consistency) will not differ from the numbers on the
implementation date by more than 1% either direction (plus or minus).

Let's spell it out:

One calendar year after Element 1 is completely removed as a US amateur
license requirement, the change in the number of current, unexpired
amateur radio licenses issued by FCC will be the following:

N8UZE: Between 1% less and 1% more
N2EY: Between 1% more and 2% more

When the change becomes effective, my postings to "ARS License Numbers"
will include comparisons to the effective date.

Anyone else? You can pick either "+" or "-" or "+/-". It must also be a
whole percentage not a fraction.

N8UZE, +/- 1%

In addition, it is my belief that "growth" won't really occur until the
"cell phone substitute" hams have let their license expire. Although cell
phones have been around for awhile now, they didn't really get affordable on
a family basis until roughly the year 2000. So that means little to no
growth until roughly the year 2010 in my opinion. At that time we will also
see the last of the Novice licenses virtually disappear as they will either
have upgraded or allowed their license to lapse. There may be a few that
continue to renew at that level but it will be few and far between.

I think the loss of "honeydew hams" will be more gradual.

Around here, their numbers really became significant in the early
1980s. Some went on to become much more involved in amateur radio,
others did not.

And IMHO, cell phone prices really began to drop about 1995 or so.

There were probably other effects from changes in the test
requirements, etc.

What all this means is that the expiration dates will be all over the
map. And not all will simply let the license expire, because it's so
easy to renew.

The AH0A website has listings of new and renewed licenses per month.
Will be interesting to see how those numbers change, too.

It has been six years and eight months since FCC stopped issuing new
Novice and Advanced licenses. In that time, we've seen a much more
dramatic drop in the number of Novices than in the number of Advanceds.
Whether that is due to expirations or upgrades is a good question.

In the case of Novices, however, the number is far above what would be
expected if the licenses were all simply expiring. Perhaps some Novices
are renewing with the idea of upgrading "someday".

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old December 28th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dee Flint wrote:
My prediction is that on the one year anniversary of the implementation
that
the total numbers of of ARS licenses (excluding the categories that N2EY
excludes for consistency) will not differ from the numbers on the
implementation date by more than 1% either direction (plus or minus).

Let's spell it out:

One calendar year after Element 1 is completely removed as a US amateur
license requirement, the change in the number of current, unexpired
amateur radio licenses issued by FCC will be the following:

N8UZE: Between 1% less and 1% more
N2EY: Between 1% more and 2% more

When the change becomes effective, my postings to "ARS License Numbers"
will include comparisons to the effective date.

Sounds good to me. Shall I keep track of the people in the pool or would
you prefer to?

[...]

Still the Novice drop is pretty steep. Either way, I think the drop will be
pretty much done by 2010 one way or another. The "cell phone substitute"
hams are a little harder to get a handle on. In 1995, I knew a fair number
of people who had them BUT only one, not one for each family member. Of
course this could have varied in different parts of the country. Again, I
think that drop will be pretty much done by 2010 also. It could be earlier
though and that would be a good thing. I selected 2010 as a conservative
point in time in my opinion.

Dee, N8UZE

Old December 28th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Dee Flint" wrote

My prediction is that on the one year anniversary of the implementation
that the total numbers of of ARS licenses (excluding the categories that
N2EY excludes for consistency) will not differ from the numbers on the
implementation date by more than 1% either direction (plus or minus).

Anyone else? You can pick either "+" or "-" or "+/-". It must also be a
whole percentage not a fraction.

N8UZE, +/- 1%

Speroni doesn't have final figures for December. Using November as a
baseline, there are 657k hams.

Since April '03 (43 months) there has been a net loss of 30k hams, or
roughly 700/mo.

A 1% loss would be 6600. 700*12=8400. Or, 1.25%

I would conclude that, on the face, your guess is probably accurate. I would
guess more 0 to -1%. I doubt you will see a positive 1% growth.

In addition, it is my belief that "growth" won't really occur until the
"cell phone substitute" hams have let their license expire. Although cell
phones have been around for awhile now, they didn't really get affordable
on a family basis until roughly the year 2000. So that means little to no
growth until roughly the year 2010 in my opinion. At that time we will
also see the last of the Novice licenses virtually disappear as they will
either have upgraded or allowed their license to lapse. There may be a
few that continue to renew at that level but it will be few and far
between.

I do not think you will see any "growth" at all.

I think numbers will continue to decline, and then "bottom out" at a minimum
number. Once that point is reached, the number will remain relatively the
same, +/- a few thousand, depending on renewal/expiration cycles. I do not
think you will see this happen until sometime around 2012.

73
KH6HZ

Old December 28th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Dee Flint wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
Dee Flint wrote:
My prediction is that on the one year anniversary of the implementation
that
the total numbers of of ARS licenses (excluding the categories that N2EY
excludes for consistency) will not differ from the numbers on the
implementation date by more than 1% either direction (plus or minus).

Let's spell it out:

One calendar year after Element 1 is completely removed as a US amateur
license requirement, the change in the number of current, unexpired
amateur radio licenses issued by FCC will be the following:

N8UZE: Between 1% less and 1% more
N2EY: Between 1% more and 2% more

When the change becomes effective, my postings to "ARS License Numbers"
will include comparisons to the effective date.

Sounds good to me. Shall I keep track of the people in the pool or would
you prefer to?

Be my guest, Dee. I'll take care of the ARS license numbers.

[...]

When I first read that, 2010 seemed a long long way off.

Now I realize it's only three years!

The "cell phone substitute"
hams are a little harder to get a handle on. In 1995, I knew a fair number
of people who had them BUT only one, not one for each family member. Of
course this could have varied in different parts of the country.

Yup. Main point it that it's not some hard-line date, but a gradual
effect.

Again, I
think that drop will be pretty much done by 2010 also. It could be earlier
though and that would be a good thing. I selected 2010 as a conservative
point in time in my opinion.

We shall see!

73 de Jim, N2EY