Old January 19th 07, 07:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default One way to promote learning of code ...

From: on Thurs, Jan 18 2007 3:17 pm

wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:

If Len were to obtain a license, set up an amateur station and get it
on the air, he could change his "Inactive" status to "Slightly Active",
"Moderately Active" or "Very Active"

Welp, when we get to one amateur license for the ARS, we can measure
the ham by what he/she does, not by some false title "earned" by how
fast they can emulate a modem.

Heh heh...Jimmie is sure defending HIS Title ain't he? :-)

Jimmie VERY RADIO ACTIVE in newsgroup, not on air. He
making Mr. Geiger count too quickly.

Yet the way he writes, he thinks he's better than everyone and
anyone in amateur radio.

That has long been evident. Amateur radio makes Leonard angry. The
ARRL makes Len angry. The idea that some radio ham knows more about a
topic than him, makes Leonard angry.

Yep, he sure botched the distance to the moon a way back.

Well, that's how it goes. The ones who've NEVER worked
in aerospace "know all about it" and are "experts," while
those of us who HAVE worked in it "know nothing!" :-)

All have worked stations ON the moon...using CW, the
universal language of all moonmen. [cheese it...]

And a lot more things. For example, having someone he considers
inferior correct some
of his mistakes makes Len angry.

I recall the time he worked out of band Frenchmen on Six Meters. What
a blunder that was.

Yeah, Heil musta been on CB at the time...

A regular french tickler that Heil...

Snap, snap...

Len has problems with authority,
seniority, titles, the Morse Code (and those who use it) and with mere
amateurs who do something for the love of it.

Also the inclusion of children in amateur radio, changes in real estate
zoning initiated by those he considers outsiders, civilians daring to
comment or even be knowledgeable about military history....the list
goes on and on.

Like the time he flauted the necessity of having an amateur license at
all and set up his own spark gap transmitter - then blamed it on the
Scouts!

Hi, hi, what an idiot!

Let's see, was that before he joined the USAF and became
an instant MSgt (with no schooling)? Or was it when he
left his "hormonally charged" sweetie on the porch on
the night of the Big Prom to rush home to operate his
ham rig with the first license? Or the one with "seven
hostile actions?"

No, porchman was Katapult King Kelly who would later
shoot bears for Naval Intelligence...[getting difficult to
separate one morseman from another, they all sound alike]

That's what makes it all the more peculiar. Len likes to tell us that
he is a PROFESSIONAL writer and that he did BIG TIME radio over a half
century back. Did you know that Len belongs to the IEEE?

Really? ;-) I suppose some folks could have missed that, the first
couple of hundred times he mentioned it.

I figured that there were people who might have missed that or the story
of Len's "BIG TIME" in HF radio. For a guy who doesn't need status, Len
certainly takes every opportunity to remind us of his status.

That's not status - that's title.

Whatever are you discussing??? Please stick to amateur radio topics,
please.

Jimmie not know. Jimmie crack corn and he no care...

You have to read that post carefully. I don't think Len ever mentions that
*he* was on the receiving end of an artillery barrage. He just mentions
what allegedly happens to all sphincters in the area.

So, Jim, what's it like? You're the expert on all things military
(except for whatever Robesin happens to be saying at the moment).

Jimmie got a lifetime subscription to Soldier of Fortune
magazine...he KNOWS what real, he-man BATTLE and COMBAT
is all about!

Jimmie ready to Lock and Load at every opportunity!

Jimmie KILL!!!

He likewise clammed up when I
pointed out his denigration of a fellow military veteran (me),

Not just you. The sphincters post was aimed at a US Coast Guard radio operator,
whose experience as a *military Morse Code radio operator* is both
infinitely more extensive and far more recent than Len's.

And mine. I've never been a Coastie nor a Math Lecturer at a University.

Jimmie never be a Coastie.

Jimmie never be a "university lecturer" (i.e., instructor
at a Junior College).

Jimmie never be a "*military morse code radio operator.*"

Jimmie never be in military.

Jimmie prolly took a fambly trip to an Atlantic beach once?

There's also his denigration of your nonmilitary Government service.

Only the parts that were patently absurd.

The patent was never granted. Seems there already was "prior
art" on such inventions...several made by earlier REMFs.

yet he is
quick to wrap himself in bunting, mount the soapbox and rail against any
perceived slight to himself as a military veteran.

Any disagreement to his statements is considered an insult by Len.

When did the subject switch to Robesin?

Never any "switch." Robesin - Heil - Miccolis are all
interchangeable. All are morsemen, macho and mighty.

"All who look upon their works, despair..." [Tennyson]

Actually, rereading all of this makes me feel kinda sad for Len. Here's a guy
who insists on telling us how wonderful his life is and has been (after all,
he bought that R-70 receiver new for CASH) but seems very angry much
of the time.

He does?

Yeah...I'm some kind of immoral corrupt person for paying
CASH for things. [Jimmie is gathering stones for the
stoning even as we write...] Tsk, next I will be
"anti-American" for NOT using money-lenders!

I'm just sooooo vile. In 1969 I paid CASH for a
'70 Chebby Camaro and never bought a new car on
installments since. I may have to wash out my wallet
with lye soap as punishment. [white over green, nice
interior, 357 cubes, it was a great babe magnet...]

By the way that little Icom R-70 still works fine after
nearly two decades. Still needs a good antenna, though,
haven't bothered with a new long-wire for it in 9 years.
[another moral degeneration to those whose "new receivers"
were built from dumpster-diving (cost less than $100)
back in the '70s] [I am soooooo bad!]

He says he's interested in "all of radio-electronics" as a "hobby",
and has spammed ECFS with hundreds of pages of verbiage, but has never
become a ham. (He says he comments for altruistic reasons.) Despite his
efforts, FCC will soon eliminate the Morse Code test - yet Len's anger
continues and even grows.

Tomorrow it will be seven years since the classic "out of the box"
post.

Me thinks he doth protest too much.

You thinks? That should be a whole nother thread...

Jimmie NOserve, that oh-so-superior Anglophile, made a
"plain and simple" MISTAKE. In olde Elisabethan
English, the proper useage should be 'Methinks,' one
word, not two. Jimmie not have visit from Stratford-
on-Avon Lady? Jimmie ever have visit with lady? Tsk.
Jimmie know what "box" is? [doubtful] Jimmie ever IN
a box? Jimmie need slice of American Pie? :-)

Yeah...I've utterly failed in life by not joining the
Mighty Macho Morseman SERVICE, putting on their uniform
(tarnkappen) and parading around with all the League
medals on chest, punishing all who didn't salute their
mighty morsemanship achievements of serving their
country by pounding brass. Beep, beep, beep...

I'd hang my head in shame except that I'm laughing too
much! :-)

LA

Old January 20th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote:
From:
on Thurs, Jan 18 2007 3:12 am

Dave Heil wrote:
wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:

So Len will achieve neophyte status once if ever he should obtain a license?

No.

That is correct. I am not a "neophyte" in radio.

We're discussing amateur radio, Len. You are not a neophyte in amateur
radio--yet.

I've been a professional in radio-electronics for
55 years, had a Commercial radio operator license
since 1956, a PLMRS radio station, membership (now
Life status) in a professional association, and
have been both contributor and associate editor for
an amateur radio periodical.

....but you are not, after several decades of self-declared interest in
amateur radio, more than a decade of posting to an amateur radio
newsgroup and *seven years* after boasting of your going for "an Extra
right out of the box", a radio amateur. Happy Anniversary!

If Len were to obtain a license, set up an amateur station and get it
on the air, he could change his "Inactive" status to "Slightly Active",
"Moderately Active" or "Very Active"

Miccolis is WRONG. All that a US amateur radio
license grant to me would convey only the
AUTHORIZATION to emit RF within allocated
amateur radio bands. AUTHORIZATION from the
federal government, not "qualification" nor
any "inactive" or "active" labels. One either
has authorization or no authorization.

That isn't correct, Len. Jim wrote "if Len were to obtain a license,
set up an amateur station and get it on the air". If you did those
things, you status could be "inactive", "slightly active", etc. You'd,
of course, have to meet the qualifications for obtaining an amateur
radio license. You haven't done so. Keep waiting though; it is getting
easier and easier as the qualifications continue to drop.

Yet the way he writes, he thinks he's better than everyone and
anyone in amateur radio.
That has long been evident.

Tsk...only to prissy little pedants like Miccolis
and Heil trying to market their "expertise in
amateurism" as some kind of royal title. :-)

I don't have any royal titles, Len. I've never thought I did. I don't
think Jim thinks he has any royal titles either. Perhaps you meant that
we're radio amateurs and you aren't.

Amateur radio makes Leonard angry.

Miccolis is WRONG.

No, Len is wrong. I wrote the words to which you responded.

But, to his mind, morse code and
amteurism are all one and the same (another mistaken
notion) and it makes HIM "angry" that his desires
aren't obeyed. shrug

I agree. Amteurism is certainly a mistaken notion.

Get it right, Len. I wrote the words. We're aren't talking about
"amteurism" or even "amateurism" here. If you mean Morse Code and
amateur radio, say so. I don't believe that amateur radio and Morse
Code are the same thing.

The ARRL makes Len angry.

Miccolis is WRONG.

No, Anderson is wrong again. I wrote the words to which you responded.

The ARRL is very good at what
it does. It has succeeded in making many, many
amateurs think that a small group in New England
Knows What Is Best For Amateur Radio.

No, Len, that isn't what the ARRL does. It isn't small and though it
has a headquarters in New England, its directors come from all over the
country as do its vice-directors. It has Section Managers all over the
country as well. Those are all elected positions. It is my view that
the ARRL has a better handle on what is good for amateur radio than some
disgruntled California retiree who has never been a radio amateur. I
hope that puts things in perspective for you.

They play
to the wish-fulfillment of radio hobbyists who
want to more than just hobbyists. They have
succeeded in becoming a virtual monopoly of
published material for the specialty niche of
US amateur radio. I admire them for their
sheer chutzpah and ability to stay in BUSINESS
as a multi-million-dollar-a-year (reported
income) publishers.

See, Leonard? You DO have an ax to grind with the American Radio Relay
League.

I do NOT LIKE their approach of idolizing either
archaic technology or the (self-defined by them)
"leaders" of US amateur radio.

You know, a PROFESSIONAL writer could have put together a better
sentence. I've neither read nor seen anything which would indicate to
me that anyone at the League idolizes anything. Your "self-defined by
them" stuff is meaningless to me.

The ARRL is losing
its "touch" and membership is slowly falling, not
close to keeping up with the change in US
population.

By that token, amateur radio license numbers aren't keeping up with the
changes in population. There are still more radio amateurs per capita
than there were in the 1930's, 1940's and 1950's. You should find
yourself a valid rant.

The ARRL gives the impression that
is shuns the Technician class licensee which now
makes up half of ALL US amateur radio licensees.

I don't know how you see it that way. Give us an example, Len.

The idea that some radio ham knows more about a
topic than him, makes Leonard angry.

And a lot more things. For example, having someone he considers
inferior correct some of his mistakes makes Len angry.

Miccolis and Heil are both WRONG. By their common
implication THEY are "better" than others...which
just compounds their wrongness.

Since you aren't a radio amateur, I've got a decided advantage over you
in amateur radio, Len. I have more experience in HF radio operation.
I'm a better CW op than you. I've never seen you write anything about
playing the guitar so I'll wager I'm a better, more experienced guitar
player than you. I'm likely more traveled and I think I have a better
knowledge of world geography and world events. There are probably some
things in which you are better than me. That's the way the world works.
It'd be nice if you could learn to accept it in your eighth decade.

Len has problems with authority,
seniority, titles, the Morse Code (and those who use it) and with mere
amateurs who do something for the love of it.

Also the inclusion of children in amateur radio, changes in real estate
zoning initiated by those he considers outsiders, civilians daring to
comment or even be knowledgeable about military history....the list
goes on and on.

Yes, as a matter of fact. :-)

It has long been obvious, Len.

You got a problem with that, Jimmie NOserve?

I know that I have, Len.

That's what makes it all the more peculiar. Len likes to tell us that
he is a PROFESSIONAL writer and that he did BIG TIME radio over a half
century back. Did you know that Len belongs to the IEEE?
Really? ;-) I suppose some folks could have missed that, the first
couple of hundred times he mentioned it.
I figured that there were people who might have missed that or the story
of Len's "BIG TIME" in HF radio. For a guy who doesn't need status, Len
certainly takes every opportunity to remind us of his status.

That's not status - that's title.

Miccolis and Heil are both WRONG again. It was my LIFE
EXPERIENCE is all.

That'd be fine if you hadn't told it and retold it countless times, as
if no one had ever matched your range of experience.

I voluntarily joined the United
States ARMY in 1952 and lucked-out on my service
assignment by being sent to the third largest Army
network communications station in 1953.

Was that good luck or bad luck, Len. Why weren't you sent to the second
largest or the first largest?

Miccolis NEVER volunteered for any military service, was
NOT drafted, never even served the US government in any
official capacity.

Do you know that as a fact, Len?

Yet Miccolis tries to imply that he is
an "expert" on all things military. shrug

Please point us to an instance where he has done so. A single example
will do. I remember him correcting a few errors for a veteran posting
here. Is that something he shouldn't have done?

Heil volunteered for the USAF, quite possibly (like so
many) trying to avoid the Draft and "served in a country
at war."

Wasn't there a draft during the time you entered the service, Len?
Are we to suspect that you enlisted to avoid the draft?

So you think I might have gone to Vietnam to avoid the draft and that I
enlisted for four years to avoid doing two years?

Heil says NOTHING in detail of his duties or
involvement in radio in the USAF...

I've told you that there are web sites in which I've recounted my duties
in Vietnam. That you haven't or won't look, isn't my problem. I
haven't told you. That bothers you. As soon as you provide some
evidence that I owe you an explanation, I'll comply.

...probably because,
truth be told (by other than himself), he was a REMF.

There you go, denigrating the service of a military veteran.

You have to read that post carefully. I don't think Len ever mentions
that *he* was on the receiving end of an artillery barrage. He just mentions
what allegedly happens to all sphincters in the area.

That was as I was told by other soldiers who WERE in
actual combat.

You were told? The first person account that you provided is something
you were told by someone else?

Those whose words I could believe were
true.

Why do you accept those words and discount the military experiences of
others? Shouldn't your "sphincter post" have mentioned that you were
told by combat veterans what it was like to undergo an artillery
barrage, instead of giving the impression that *you* had gone through one?

But...the "critics" who dwell and dwell on
their "sphincter knowledge" imply that they "KNOW"
what the real truth is...

We now know that we didn't get the real truth from you.

...WITHOUT having their own
experience as a baseline.

Excuse me. Isn't that what you provided? Didn't you imply that you had
the experience of undergoing an artillery barrage WITHOUT having your
own experience as a baseline?

In other words, both
Miccolis and Heil are truly bull****ting everyone
with their "knowledge of battle." :-)

I won't speak for Jim. I can now say without fear of being proven wrong
that I have far more direct combat experience than Leonard H. Anderson.
The bull**** has been coming from you, Leonard.

Jimmie NOserve, CITE YOUR MILITARY EXPERIENCE to say
I was "wrong." You just don't have any such, do you?

There's also his denigration of your nonmilitary Government service.

One is "supposed" to "always respect" the United
States Department of State?!? guffaw Not
for me since George C. Marshall retired. Maybe
with Colin Powell but he saw what the bush league
was doing and quit.

So for many decades, you have had no respect for the arm of government
charged with carrying out United States Foreign Policy? That includes a
number of both Republican and Democratic administrations.

One is "supposed" to "always respect" a posting to
a small African country consulate post, a country
whose main export is cashew nuts?

You needn't have any respect for any of my postings, Len. I volunteered
for all of 'em except the first one.

One is "supposed" to "always respect" a State
radio officer for "using CW to synchronize his
RTTY skeds" in the 1980s? :-)

You needn't respect me for that either, Len.

Jimmie NOserve, ANY military veteran "earned
their chops" to talk to ANOTHER veteran. You are
NO veteran of military service.

....to your knowledge.

You want to make
nasty to someone by ruler-spanking their "behavior
to another vet," you better EARN THE RIGHT to do
that.

Okay, Len. I've earned the right. You continue to act like a horse's
patoot.

Any disagreement to his statements is considered an insult by Len.

Tsk. Miccolis and Heil are both WRONG again.

The facts say otherwise.

But, both are of a mindset that THEY are somehow
"superior" in all respects and that their amateur
radio license (amateur extra, gained when 20 WPM
testing was in effect) gives them "authorization"
for behaving like "superior" beings. :-)

That we know something--in fact a number of somethings which you don't
know--chafes you to no end. In amateur radio, we are superior to you.
You are a non-entity in amateur radio. The guy who got his first
license last week is your amateur radio superior.

Actually, rereading all of this makes me feel kinda sad for Len.

Poor baby. Got tissues?

Just when I was getting all misty eyed, you show yourself as a horse's
patoot.

Here's a guy who insists on telling us how wonderful his life is and has been (after
all, he bought that R-70 receiver new for CASH) but seems very angry much
of the time.

Miccolis is once again WRONG. [is there no end to
his mistakes?]

Okay, your life isn't wonderful; you made time payments on the receiver
and you're happy as a clam!

All in all, I've been fortunate in life. Not
overly so but enough for me. I've made some money
doing what I like, but no longer need to work to
keep a nice lifestyle. My wife is my high school
sweetheart (really, a fact known to our classmates
after our 50th high school reunion in 2001). I
began in radio communications at a large Army
radio station and that experience led me to change
majors to electronic engineering. No mortgage on
our house down south, none on the northern house.

So what makes you a bitter, old man?

So, I could pay cash for an Icom radio two decades
ago? No problem. I earned every penny of that cash.

No one accused you of theft, Len. What made you repeat the story a
number of times? Did you think that no one has ever paid cash for such
a purchase?

Wife and I bought a 2005 Chevy Malibu MAXX cash
(actually on a credit card!). I don't consider
that as any kind of "superiority."

Then why have you brought it up a number of times?

We both worked
for our money, earning all of it.

That's the way most folks get their money. They work for it and they
earn it. Yet on a number of occasions, you've mentioned "the fleecing
of America" when you've written about my work. Why did you do that?

The purchase via
credit card was a lark, something we could do...so
we did it! You really ought to make some insult
hay out of that...wow, must be some moral deficit
to you to actually spend money for anything! :-)

What makes you think that anyone here cares about your car or how you
paid for it?

He says he's interested in "all of radio-electronics" as a "hobby",
and has spammed ECFS with hundreds of pages of verbiage, but has never
become a ham.

Hello? Did you miss my "hundreds of postings" about
my First 'Phone Commercial license obtained in 1956?

That doesn't convey amateur radio privileges, Len. No one could miss
your numerous postings related to the fact that you obtained a First Phone.

That was 50 years ago, Jimmie Noserve, AFTER I'd been
three years active military service at Army station
ADA.

Who cares, Len?

Of WHAT PURPOSE would there be in "getting a
ham license before becoming professional?" Besides
the fun of having that hobby?

It is obvious that you aren't a "fun guy", Len.

Tsk, I guess having an amateur radio license is NOT
fun...it is something all have to work for...harder
than anything they've done in life? It's a "service
to the country" that ham hobby?

It is simply another thing for you to feel inferior about.

Oh, If I'd become a butcher, I would certainly have
gotten a ham license...which includes a beef license
and a fish license and all other good stuff
regulated by the FDA and LA Health Department. :-)

I believe you got the beef license. In over a decade here, you've had
one beef after another.

Dave K8MN
Old February 1st 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

wrote in message
ups.com...
Cecil Moore wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
What are we to make of it--that people generally take the
easiest route to something?

When one is dealing with a governmental licensing
bureau, there is no "easiest route". Only one route
is offered by the rule *makers* for each license
class.

Actually, that's not always true.

For example, from 1990 to 2000, there were medical waivers
for the 13 and 20 wpm Morse Code tests. Those who wanted
a General, Advanced or Extra class license had the choice
of passing the required test *or* getting a waiver. Depending
on the individual, one route could be easier than the other.

Similarly, for a couple of decades now the Morse Code test(s)
could be passed by either one-minute-solid-copy or fill-in-the-blank
route - whichever was easier for the individual.

The *takers* of the exam cannot be blamed
for the present licensing structure.

In general, that's true. However, if a particular individual worked for

changes in the licensing structure....

How can a new
general class ham be considered to be inferior to
an older general class ham when each ham took the
one and only exam available at his particular time
of testing?

One person's *knowledge* may be less than another's,
depending on what was on the tests at the time.

However, a test is simply one data point, not the whole picture.

There's a big difference between pointing out changes in the
license tests and making sweeping generalizations about those
who passed them.

Incidentally, mice that take the easiest route
to the cheese hidden in a maze are considered
to be the most intelligent. :-)
--

All mice take the easiest route.

Some just do it faster than others.