Old January 30th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

Default Quantity Over Quality (Was: Unwritten policy and the intent of the average amateur ...)

"Bob Brock" wrote:

Perhaps when HRO has the floor space of Radio Shack, you might have
a point.

HRO doesn't compete against Radio Shack in the same market. Radio Shack is
consumer goods, HRO sells in a niche market. Radio Shack is retail, HRO is
mainly mail order.

Old January 30th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:30:06 -0500, "KH6HZ" wrote:

"Bob Brock" wrote:

Perhaps when HRO has the floor space of Radio Shack, you might have
a point.

HRO doesn't compete against Radio Shack in the same market. Radio Shack is
consumer goods, HRO sells in a niche market. Radio Shack is retail, HRO is
mainly mail order.

And that was my point. If it reaches the stage where radio shack (or
Wal-Mart) has jumped on the band wagon, we may need to worry about
overpopulating the bands. As long as the only place to find equipment
is pretty much mail order to a "niche market," growth is good. BTW,
there was a time that Radio Shack targeted a "niche market." However,
those times are long past. IMO, their products were poorly made knock
offs of good equipment.

The other option is for the last ham to turn off the lights before he
dies out and the bands are sold to commercial interests.
Old January 30th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy

"Bob Brock" wrote:

And that was my point. If it reaches the stage where radio shack
(or Wal-Mart) has jumped on the band wagon, we may need to worry
about overpopulating the bands.

I just simply do not see it happening. Most RatShacks are too small to carry
a wide range of ham gear. Furthermore, the per-capita number of hams in most
areas is too small.

Certain RatShacks may do ok selling ham gear, but as a whole? I doubt it.

Heck, how much demand is there for RatShack's selling of FRS and CB Gear?
Not very much, I believe, based on the very limited (if any) selection I've
seen in the 4 stores I've frequented over the past few years.

73
kh6hz