RadioBanter

-   -   The First 13 Days of the Revolution (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/116269-first-13-days-revolution.html)

Dave Heil March 29th 07 05:34 PM

*What* Revolution? rip Van N2EY been asleep these past few years

From: on Wed, 28 Mar 2007 16:00:14 -0400

I have a much lesser view of "inertia" (failure to "get going"
on some problem) that is supposed to be in government. I see
such "inertia" as simply the time required in having to
consider ALL citizens' input, not just one group that thinks
they are the 'only' ones who can be righteous on some viewpoint.

I'm sure that your view was formulated based upon your own experience
with inertia: Decades of considering all things concerning GETTING INTO
amateur radio, better than ten years of posting in this newsgroup, your
false start over seven years ago and finally, waiting for the Morse code
test to disappear.

Newcomers are generally
younger and aren't buying "the old guy's club" stuff like the
old guys did when they were young.

Generally younger? Do you mean generally younger than yourself when you
became a newcomer some weeks ago? I became an ARRL member at 14. I
never considered it as "the old guy's club". When I became a member,
the ARRL was *my* organization too.

My opinion is that the FCC thinks LESS of the ARRL than it might
have two decades or more ago.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. That doesn't make it
factual; it just makes it your opinion.

deny him what you will but please garnt him his thae man can ramble
and roll on and on

YEAH he do! :-) Little nit-picky arguments over minutae, all
design to "prove" his opponents are "wrong." Argue with him on
those things and he will try to turn it around that the arguer
is always wrong. Jay-suss, that gets old fast...it got old years
ago.

I'll bet it got old for you, Len. You must have gotten tired of being
shown to be in error time after time.

I have some some my favoritie colections of his sentenced pulled out
of rapp in file for reading when I need help to sedate my mind after a
particualrly stresfull day

Whatever works for you, Mark. I don't pretend to be a guru.
I've been around the horn a few times in radio, mostly in other
radio services, so I speak from SOME experience. The only thing
"different" in amateur radio is the man-made jargon and procedure.
The theory, the electrons, fields and waves, all work the same
for EVERY radio service. No difference there. Real designers,
real theory folks KNOW this.

Other radio services have their own man-made jargon, procedures and
regulations.

Amateur radio is not solely about design and theory. Much of it is
about operating, the thing which an amateur radio license permits you to do.

The practitioners of amateur radio, at least some, will pound
on the table, get red in the face, hollering that the ONLY way
one can learn "radio" is to become an amateur licensee. That's
totally stupid emotional non-logic.

It surely is stupid, emotional non-logic. In fact, you're the only
fellow I've seen make such a statement.

Most of those just haven't
had any real experience in other radio services and the resent
those of us who have done so.

I wouldn't advise that you start off making such statements when you
first put your brand new amateur radio license to use in getting on the air.

Those practitioners want to SHUT
OUT any mention of other radio services as "not applicable" to
amateur radio.

That's not the case either, Leonard. You've been told that amateur
radio is not like other services when it comes to the use of Morse code.
It is still heavily used in amateur HF and VHF weak signal work.

That is just compounding the stupidity and
illogic.

It would be if your statement were true. It isn't. You've made another
factual error.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil March 29th 07 05:50 PM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 28, 7:18�pm, Dave Heil wrote:
AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:
They gave a war back in the day... ?Miccolis didn't show up then,
either.
� �True, but he KNOWS ALL ABOUT it. �Sigh...and isn't reticent
� �about chiding volunteer military veterans. �:-(

Neither are you or hot-ham-and-cheese, old sojer. �You two act like
you're super citizens whose military service has elevated you above others.

We HAVE served, robust oberst. We ARE a bit better than
those that NEVER served.

Just a couple of days ago you ridiculed someone who wrote about the
Vietnam War Memorial.

"Ridiculed?!?" NO.

That's incorrect. Anyone can read what you wrote. You ridiculed and
insulted.

Failed to heap gratuitous praise on some
emotional outburst by an UNIDENTIFIED person? YES.

No, Len, you ridiculed.

�You bleated something about Korea.

I didn't "BLEAT," robust oberst.

Yes, you did, Foghorn.

I simply stated that the
Korean War has NOT YET been settled. It is in an
almost perpetual state of truce since July, 1953.

"There WAS a real, shooting war in northeast Asia then. Were YOU
there? In Korea?"
--Len Anderson

You didn't serve in Korea during the Korean War.

I was assigned to the 8235th Army Unit, a signal
battalion attached to Army Central Command in the
Far East from late January 1953 to January 1956. The
Korean active War was from June 1950 to July 1953.

I see. You didn't serve in Korea during the Korean War.

You made up your classic tale of
what it is like to undergo an artillery barrage.

"Classic?!?" Hardly. The writing wasn't good enough for
the "classic" classification. :-)

No, it wasn't. The fantasy piece was still a classic. It developed a
cult following and was quickly dubbed "The Sphincter Post".

�Your embellishment of your military service is legend.

"Embellishment?!?" :-)

Yes, embellishment.

Are you going to write the
Department of the Army and demand they retract my
Good Conduct Ribbon award? :-)

No, Len. I'm going to rub your face in it every time you start to wrap
yourself in bunting and lecture anyone about their military service or
lack thereof.

What I did during my active US Army assignment is
described in the photo essay available at:

http://sujan.hallikainen.org/Broadca...s/My3Years.pdf

So we've been told on numerous occasions.

What WE do NOT have is the illustrious battle experience
of mighty warrior David Heil *IN* a country at war.

No, you don't, do you? Such material has been posted on the web pages
of at least two Vietnam veteran organizations. I can't be faulted for
your inability to find the information, nor am I obligated to provide
you with any such information.

Strangely
enough he is most reticent about saying anything on that.

I haven't been reticent at all. I simply haven't posted much about it
here. I've long observed your tactics which are evidenced by your
sentence below.

Chances are, those saying nothing detailed were just the
usual REMF trying to pad out their 'histories.'

Len AF6AY

ex-RA16408336, SSgt SigC, US Army (1952-1960)

NB: The "RA" in the old Army Service Number indicates
a voluntary enlistment. A "US" prefix denotes a draftee.

Dave K8MN
AF12832692

Note: The "AF" in the number indicates "Air Force". My number was
changed not too long after my enlistment to an "AF" number which was the
same as my Social Security Number. I'm not giving you that one.

Dave Heil March 29th 07 05:52 PM

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:
They gave a war back in the day... ?Miccolis didn't show up then,
either.
� �True, but he KNOWS ALL ABOUT it. �Sigh...and isn't reticent
� �about chiding volunteer military veterans. �:-(

Neither are you or hot-ham-and-cheese, old sojer. �You two act like
you're super citizens whose military service has elevated you above others.

We HAVE served, robust oberst.

Yes, we HAVE, Foghorn.

We ARE a bit better than
those that NEVER served.

Where in the U.S. Constitution might we find confirmation of your claim?

Which U.S. law provides such a statement?

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil March 29th 07 05:53 PM

AF6AY wrote:

Len AF6AY

ex-RA16408336, SSgt SigC, US Army (1952-1960)

NB: The "RA" in the old Army Service Number indicates
a voluntary enlistment. A "US" prefix denotes a draftee.

Note: The Air Force never drafted anyone at any time.

Dave K8MN

KH6HZ March 29th 07 06:36 PM

"Dave Heil" wrote:

I'm sure that your view was formulated based upon your own experience with
inertia: Decades of considering all things concerning GETTING INTO amateur
radio, better than ten years of posting in this newsgroup, your false
start over seven years ago and finally, waiting for the Morse code test to
disappear.

To think that someone would not get involved in amateur radio for over a
decade, if not longer, solely on the basis of a morse code examination
required for privileges 30mhz and below -- given the huge amount of
diversity in the ARS -- is probably one of the saddest, if not most
pathetic, things I've heard in my lifetime.

Why purposely deny yourself years of fun and enjoyment?

73
kh6hz

AF6AY March 30th 07 02:19 AM

On Mar 29, 3:08�am, wrote:
On Mar 29, 12:18 am, Dave Heil wrote:

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:
They gave a war back in the day... ?Miccolis didn't show up then,
either.

* *True, but he KNOWS ALL ABOUT it. *Sigh...and isn't reticent
* *about chiding volunteer military veterans. *:-(

Neither are you or hot-ham-and-cheese, old sojer. *You two act like
you're super citizens whose military service has elevated you above others.

Heil has no problem denigrating servicemen. *Why doesn't he mention
that?

Heil has a great number of problems. :-)

Just a couple of days ago you ridiculed someone who wrote about the
Vietnam War Memorial. *

Just a couple of days ago I thanked that individual for his service.
That doesn't mean that I approve of the memorial.

Ahem, one of those was super-patriot-phrase-shouting "No
Call Sign Given" who supposedly was "IN" the 101st
Airborne. It had all the earmarks of Major Dud, famous
for his gratuitous emotional phrase tossing. :-)

You bleated something about Korea. *

You bleated something about running for the Roanoke Division
Directorship. *How's your nomination coming?

He may have only 1 nomination vote. shrug

You didn't
serve in Korea during the Korean War. *

You didn't serve in Korea.

As far as I'm concerned, Heil hasn't shown us ANY proof
that He was in southeast Asia during his military service.

You made up your classic tale of
what it is like to undergo an artillery barrage. *

Did Len get it wrong? *Tell us what it's like.

I'd like to know what David "knows." I've been roughly
200 yards from an artillery fall...which was 300 yards
too close to the training group I was in.

Your embellishment of your military service is legend.

Dave K8MN

Your smugness is legendary.

It must be his training at the Fruenze Military Academy. :-)

Well, we've had Major Dud in here expostulating up a storm
about his "USMC career." We've had Heil telling all sorts of
things about "being in a country AT war." Those all blend
together, don't they?

Did David actually OPERATE any radios (other than a BC
receiver) in Vietnam? I must have missed one of his brags
about that because I don't recall him giving any information
on that. I really can't believe half of what he says in here.

When I was assigned to ADA, we actually OPERATED HF
radios...and VHF radios...and UHF radios...and some
microwave radios. Before the 1965 date that the DoD
says the USA "got involved" in the Vietnam War. Not
only that, I've got photo and text references to that on a
publicly-accessible website. shrug

But, David is passing a brick about my being a "newcomer
to radio" (after 54 years of that) and I guess we are supposed
to let him do that. [the pain must be excrutiating for him]

73, Len AF6AY

Dave Heil March 30th 07 02:38 AM

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:
[...]

It had no earmarks of anyone in particular, Leonard. Whoever the guy
was, he had a number of things right.

You can't let a post containing mention of military service pass without
donning your bunting, mounting your soapbox and attempting to belittle
that service. It is what you do.

You bleated something about Korea. �

You bleated something about running for the Roanoke Division
Directorship. �How's your nomination coming?

He may have only 1 nomination vote. shrug

I've not announced that I'm running for any ARRL office. If or when I
do, you'll not have a chance to vote for a candidate from the Roanoke
Division. I understand your error. You're a newcomer to amateur radio.

You didn't
serve in Korea during the Korean War. �

You didn't serve in Korea.

As far as I'm concerned, Heil hasn't shown us ANY proof
that He was in southeast Asia during his military service.

As far as you're concerned, I've repeatedly told you that I'm not
showing you anything. Report me to the Stolen Valor folks (and be sure
to tell them of my claims regarding my military service) or deal with it.

You made up your classic tale of
what it is like to undergo an artillery barrage. �

Did Len get it wrong? �Tell us what it's like.

I'd like to know what David "knows." I've been roughly
200 yards from an artillery fall...which was 300 yards
too close to the training group I was in.

Training group? Unless they were tired of your stories, I don't think
they were aiming at you, Len.

Your embellishment of your military service is legend.
Dave K8MN

Your smugness is legendary.

It must be his training at the Fruenze Military Academy. :-)

Well, we've had Major Dud in here expostulating up a storm
about his "USMC career."

There has been no one posting under that name, ever. If you mean Steve
Robeson, there is a freely accessible web site with information
confirming his time in the USMC. You've either never found it or never
bothered looking.

We've had Heil telling all sorts of
things about "being in a country AT war."

No, you haven't had me telling you much of anything. That seems to get
your goat.

Those all blend
together, don't they?

Actually, they don't.

Did David actually OPERATE any radios (other than a BC
receiver) in Vietnam?

I actually operated HF radio equipment on a daily basis.

I must have missed one of his brags
about that because I don't recall him giving any information
on that.

You've likely missed all of my brags regarding my military service in
Vietnam. I've never made any.

I really can't believe half of what he says in here.

You could take it all to the bank, Len. I can't force you to believe
anything.

When I was assigned to ADA...

Here we go again.

But, David is passing a brick about my being a "newcomer
to radio" (after 54 years of that) and I guess we are supposed
to let him do that. [the pain must be excrutiating for him]

You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to
make it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

Dave K8MN

[email protected] March 30th 07 02:52 AM

AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:
They gave a war back in the day... ?Miccolis didn't show up then,
either.

? ?True, but he KNOWS ALL ABOUT it. ?Sigh...and isn't reticent
? ?about chiding volunteer military veterans. ?:-(

Neither are you or hot-ham-and-cheese, old sojer. ?You two act like
you're super citizens whose military service has elevated you above others.

Heil has no problem denigrating servicemen. ?Why doesn't he mention
that?

Heil has a great number of problems. :-)

He's got a kook for a neighbor.

Just a couple of days ago you ridiculed someone who wrote about the
Vietnam War Memorial. ?

Just a couple of days ago I thanked that individual for his service.
That doesn't mean that I approve of the memorial.

Ahem, one of those was super-patriot-phrase-shouting "No
Call Sign Given" who supposedly was "IN" the 101st
Airborne. It had all the earmarks of Major Dud, famous
for his gratuitous emotional phrase tossing. :-)

Accepting thanks for a deed not performed shows not honor.

You bleated something about Korea. ?

You bleated something about running for the Roanoke Division
Directorship. ?How's your nomination coming?

He may have only 1 nomination vote. shrug

A Division of One!

You didn't
serve in Korea during the Korean War. ?

You didn't serve in Korea.

As far as I'm concerned, Heil hasn't shown us ANY proof
that He was in southeast Asia during his military service.

I believe him. Then there was the American Embassy in Tanzania. I've
wondered about his proximity during the bombing.

You made up your classic tale of
what it is like to undergo an artillery barrage. ?

Did Len get it wrong? ?Tell us what it's like.

I'd like to know what David "knows." I've been roughly
200 yards from an artillery fall...which was 300 yards
too close to the training group I was in.

Yeh, there's usuall one KIA on every FTX, but usually from a vehicle
accident or pushing a mast ito power lines or something usually
preventable. We had a round impact next to dmain - I think it was
moonsan during Winter Haze. They really shouldn't let those guys play
with those things. They could hurt someone.

Your embellishment of your military service is legend.

Dave K8MN

Your smugness is legendary.

It must be his training at the Fruenze Military Academy. :-)

Did they win the war?

Well, we've had Major Dud in here expostulating up a storm
about his "USMC career."

Curtailed career with no explanation whatsoever... VA hospital,
rehabilitation, and disability pension, but was never injured, save
for some grit that got in his eye once. Hmmmm?

We've had Heil telling all sorts of
things about "being in a country AT war." Those all blend
together, don't they?

So who hasn't? Most of the people I actually know have been
deployed. I don't actually know Jim, but I'm told he has served in
other ways.

Did David actually OPERATE any radios (other than a BC
receiver) in Vietnam? I must have missed one of his brags
about that because I don't recall him giving any information
on that. I really can't believe half of what he says in here.

All I can recall about his retelling of his Vietnam period was being
PO'd at not being permitted to be a ham over there.

When I was assigned to ADA, we actually OPERATED HF
radios...and VHF radios...and UHF radios...and some
microwave radios. Before the 1965 date that the DoD
says the USA "got involved" in the Vietnam War. Not
only that, I've got photo and text references to that on a
publicly-accessible website. shrug

Around 1965, I was operating my dad's Philips SW set from Athens,
Greece. The birthplace of "democraticia" had a King, but no
television broadcasts, and we got our news and entertainment from BBC
and VOA. The Dutch station had the best music, but who knew what they
were saying?

But, David is passing a brick about my being a "newcomer
to radio" (after 54 years of that) and I guess we are supposed
to let him do that. [the pain must be excrutiating for him]

73, Len AF6AY

Yikes! That's one rough gall stone!

Anyway, I've passed the 20 year mark in amateur radio, and in ham
years I'm still wet behind the ears... according to the coded
elitists.

[email protected] March 30th 07 02:58 AM

On Mar 29, 10:38 pm, Dave Heil wrote:
AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 29, 3:08?am, wrote:
On Mar 29, 12:18 am, Dave Heil wrote:

You bleated something about Korea. ?
You bleated something about running for the Roanoke Division
Directorship. ?How's your nomination coming?

He may have only 1 nomination vote. shrug

I've not announced that I'm running for any ARRL office. If or when I
do, you'll not have a chance to vote for a candidate from the Roanoke
Division. I understand your error. You're a newcomer to amateur radio.

Apparently not. Len understands that he cannot vote for you. You'll
have to look elsewhere for your one vote.

Best of luck on your nomination.

KH6HZ March 30th 07 03:09 AM

"Dave Heil" wrote:

You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license -- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left -- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.