RadioBanter

-   -   The First 13 Days of the Revolution (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/116269-first-13-days-revolution.html)

AF6AY March 31st 07 07:09 PM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

On Mar 31, 4:30�am, wrote:
On Mar 30, 2:47 am, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 29, 5:52?pm, wrote:
On Mar 29, 10:19 pm, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 29, 3:08?am, wrote:
On Mar 29, 12:18 am, Dave Heil wrote:
AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:
You didn't serve in Korea.

? ?As far as I'm concerned, Heil hasn't shown us ANY proof
? ?that He was in southeast Asia during his military service.

I believe him. ?Then there was the American Embassy in Tanzania. ?I've
wondered about his proximity during the bombing.

* *Well, let's just say that Heil's PROOF of service is a tad
* *scant. *:-)

I saw his web page. *He's not one of the nuts that claims to have been
in Vietnam and at Woodstock simultaneously.

Heil has a web page all his own? Interesting...

You made up your classic tale of
what it is like to undergo an artillery barrage. ?

Did Len get it wrong? ?Tell us what it's like.

? ?I'd like to know what David "knows." ?I've been roughly
? ?200 yards from an artillery fall...which was 300 yards
? ?too close to the training group I was in.

Yeh, there's usuall one KIA on every FTX, but usually from a vehicle
accident or pushing a mast ito power lines or something usually
preventable. ?We had a round impact next to dmain - I think it was
moonsan during Winter Haze. ?They really shouldn't let those guys play
with those things. ?They could hurt someone.

* *Right! *The cadre we had were mostly career officers of
* *the red (artillery) and were NOT happy about THEM being
* *so close to the fall zone.

Many officers lacked a sense of humor.

Ahem...the bunch of us doing PIP training were in FULL
AGREEMENT with those two first johns! :-)

Your smugness is legendary.

? ?It must be his training at the Fruenze Military Academy. ?:-)

Did they win the war?

* *Yes, they did! * [see private e-mail]

Not in my long-time account, and I just checked my hotmail account -
it was inactive and I had to start it up again. *No messages.

Roger that. Please let me know in private e-mail what
the correct account is...

? ?Well, we've had Major Dud in here expostulating up a storm
? ?about his "USMC career." ?

Curtailed career with no explanation whatsoever... ?VA hospital,
rehabilitation, and disability pension, but was never injured, save
for some grit that got in his eye once. ?Hmmmm?

* *Heh...but he finally got some RANK. *I looked in on his
* *home page. *A much newer flight suit, but less hair and
* *more pudgyness. *Still the familiar scowl. *He must think
* *that makes him look like a "tough guy." *:-)

When you're that short, you've got to use every angle to get a little
respect. *Have you visited any of his "other" web pages?

No. I don't expect anything different than his AOL home
page. :-)

? ?We've had Heil telling all sorts of
? ?things about "being in a country AT war." ?Those all blend
? ?together, don't they?

So who hasn't? ?Most of the people I actually know have been
deployed. ?I don't actually know Jim, but I'm told he has served in
other ways.

* *Serving is serving. *Who knows, he could have been a bus
* *boy at an O Club somewhere in PA when going to collitch.
* *Bus boys sometimes do serving.

For all we know Jim is blind or in a wheelchair and had a perfectly
legitimate reason for not serving. *Is Jim blind or in a wheelchair?

I have NO idea. I've only seen his brother's picture that
came up in a Search for other information of different
topics.

? ?Did David actually OPERATE any radios (other than a BC
? ?receiver) in Vietnam? ?I must have missed one of his brags
? ?about that because I don't recall him giving any information
? ?on that. ?I really can't believe half of what he says in here.

All I can recall about his retelling of his Vietnam period was being
PO'd at not being permitted to be a ham over there.

* *Really? *I thought he ran the Vietnam MARS stations all
* *by himself! * I was mistaken. * :-)

That was Robesin - eavesdropping on phone patches with the wives...

From Oki. :-)

Back in '55 there was a regular "soap opera" on the Okinawa
SSB radio circuit over the second voice channel. Between
1 AM and 2 PM local (Japan and Oki) time, a Major in Tokyo
would call up his Captain nurse girlfriend in Okinawa and
generally babble all about how she ought to marry him when
he got rid of his current wife. Not bad technique he had but
I have no idea what happened afterwards. That lasted for about
a month and I doubt the Major (who must have had some
comms authority) was aware that 20 to 30 guys were listening
in at various places on the circuit. Made the midnight shift a
bit entertaining, dull as it normally was locally. :-)

* *Hilversum's PCJ is world famous and Eddie Starz was still
* *alive in 1965. *Terrific linguist, could handle most of the
* *languages himself! *"Peace, Cheer, Joy" is what he called
* *PCJ. *Difficult for me to get Holland directly so I tune for
* *their Netherlands Antilles repeater station.

I imagine that's where my interest in radio came from. *Hey, that old
radio had tubes!

Sunnuvagun! :-)

? ?But, David is passing a brick about my being a "newcomer
? ?to radio" (after 54 years of that) and I guess we are supposed
? ?to let him do that. ?[the pain must be excrutiating for him]

Yikes! ?That's one rough gall stone!

* *He's a big guy, ruff and tuff...he can take it.

He should seek medical help.

I nominate "doctor robeson" since he is up on all that medical
stuff and has all those certificates and training, etc. :-)

Anyway, I've passed the 20 year mark in amateur radio, and in ham
years I'm still wet behind the ears... ?according to the coded
elitists.

* *Nobody "better" than the coded elitists. *Ask any one of them.

* *Sigh...there'l be no peace for them until the last coder's key
* *is pried from their cold, dead fingers. *I'll be helping with the
* *pry bar when it happens. *:-)

I've already got one; don't need another. *For all I care they can be
buried with them. *Hopefully it's not one of those $400 jewels and the
grave robbers leave them alone. *RIP, I say!

Well, some of those keys have beautiful mechanical and plating
workmanship. Saw one at the local HRO outlet in Burbank, CA,
the other day...imported from Sweden! :-) I got a kick out of
that "imported" remark...being of Swedish descent and Burbank
having more-than-average Scandinavians who once worked at
Lockheed Aircraft. So nicely made that I doubt the morse code
on it had any Swedish accent. :-)

73, Len AF6AY

AF6AY April 3rd 07 06:34 PM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

On Mar 29, 6:24�pm, Dave Heil wrote a typical
warm, wonderful "welcome" message of:
KH6HZ wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:

You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. *I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license...

It doesn't matter whether he's jealous or not, Mike. *He can fill up his
years with getting on 75m and telling hams who have been in the game for
decades about his experiences at ADA in the 1950's.

Ah, but I DID have those experiences, proven by several
publicly-accessible references and documented
licenses. :-)

Tsk, that seems to **** off some "club call" collectors
and civilian government service "careerists." :-)

Does having been granted a Commercial radiotelephone
operator license 51 years ago NOT count? Of course it
"doesn't count" sinc AMATEUR RADIO is the ONLY WAY
one can "get experience" according to the snipers and
general cat-callers.

-- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left...

I don't intend to keep reminding him of his remaining time on the
planet. *Any of us could easily go before Len does. *All it takes is a
traffic accident (Roger Wiseman's death wish for me: failing brakes,
sharp curves, twisting road) or a sudden illness. *The fact is that I've
already enjoyed 43 years in amateur radio.

Practice safe and defensive driving, Sir Heil.

I've enjoyed 54 years in MANY different radio services...and
51 years of those NOT paid for directly the US government.

-- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

If he gets busy and hones his skills, he could get it done. *I made over
that number in my nearly sixteen years overseas though it wasn't really
that long since I was typically in the U.S. for two to three months
between assignments and usually burned a month or so of leave in the
U.S. or elsewhere each year. *I've submitted nearly 30,000 QSOs to LOTW
but I still have years of contest logs from the paper logging days which
have yet to be entered into the computer logging database. *It'd be nice
to have a half million or so QSOs logged before departure time.

I don't recall that U.S. government regulations REQUIRE
all that CONTACT collection. [looking through Title 47
again...] Nope, NOTHING in the regulations about that...

So, nearly a quarter million [transitory] CONTACTS via
amateur radio. What does that prove? The capability of
making lots of [transitory] contacts? Yes, but doing so
many is little more than accumulating some self-logged
contacts that take a relatively long time to ascertain.
There are collectors who have amassed great quantities
of pennies, string, and other items.

If Len Anderson wants to pretend that he is part of some revolution, let
him play.

Tsk, tsk, I *AM* part of the revolution... :-)

*He'll unbox his JA transceiver, hook it to a vertical antenna
and have all the fun he is capable of having.

Already done. :-)

Marie, I know you want to give cake to the peasants, but
don't lose your head in excoriating them...

73, Len AF6AY

[email protected] April 4th 07 01:29 AM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

myname @juno.com

[email protected] April 4th 07 02:27 AM

On Apr 2, 1:35 pm, wrote:
On 29 Mar 2007 18:58:44 -0700, wrote:

On Mar 29, 10:38 pm, Dave Heil wrote:
AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 29, 3:08?am, wrote:
On Mar 29, 12:18 am, Dave Heil wrote:

You bleated something about Korea. ?
You bleated something about running for the Roanoke Division
Directorship. ?How's your nomination coming?
He may have only 1 nomination vote. shrug

I've not announced that I'm running for any ARRL office. If or when I
do, you'll not have a chance to vote for a candidate from the Roanoke
Division. I understand your error. You're a newcomer to amateur radio.

Apparently not. Len understands that he cannot vote for you.

Gee I thought Len could Vote for Dave if I he wnated to file some kind
of statemetement declaring that area his real home area something like
that

I don't know anything about that. Maybe Dave the keeper of the rules
can expand on it.

[email protected] April 4th 07 02:35 AM

On Mar 29, 11:24 pm, Dave Heil wrote:
KH6HZ wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:

You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license...

It doesn't matter whether he's jealous or not, Mike. He can fill up his
years with getting on 75m and telling hams who have been in the game for
decades about his experiences at ADA in the 1950's.

Wow, lots of envy and hostility in that statement...

-- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left...

I don't intend to keep reminding him of his remaining time on the
planet. Any of us could easily go before Len does. All it takes is a
traffic accident (Roger Wiseman's death wish for me: failing brakes,
sharp curves, twisting road) or a sudden illness.

Or Robesin's predictions for "Slashed tires, bricks through windows,
and terrorized wives..."

The fact is that I've
already enjoyed 43 years in amateur radio.

Ahem, minus one year during your tour in Vietnam. Remember, no ham
radio for you...

-- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

If he gets busy and hones his skills, he could get it done. I made over
that number in my nearly sixteen years overseas though it wasn't really
that long since I was typically in the U.S. for two to three months
between assignments and usually burned a month or so of leave in the
U.S. or elsewhere each year. I've submitted nearly 30,000 QSOs to LOTW
but I still have years of contest logs from the paper logging days which
have yet to be entered into the computer logging database.

Get off the branch water and it might be possible for you to get it
done... unless you're taking time out to run for Director of the
Roanoke Division.

It'd be nice
to have a half million or so QSOs logged before departure time.

Better find a DXpedition.

If Len Anderson wants to pretend that he is part of some revolution, let
him play. He'll unbox his JA transceiver, hook it to a vertical antenna
and have all the fun he is capable of having.

Dave K8MN

No different than you unboxing your TN transceiver...

Dave Heil April 4th 07 06:50 AM

KH6HZ wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:
You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. �I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".
I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license...

It doesn't matter whether he's jealous or not, Mike. �He can fill up his
years with getting on 75m and telling hams who have been in the game for
decades about his experiences at ADA in the 1950's.

Ah, but I DID have those experiences, proven by several
publicly-accessible references and documented
licenses. :-)

I've seen little indication that anyone but you cares.

Does having been granted a Commercial radiotelephone
operator license 51 years ago NOT count?

Not count as what, Leonard?

Of course it
"doesn't count" sinc AMATEUR RADIO is the ONLY WAY
one can "get experience" according to the snipers and
general cat-callers.

It certainly doesn't count as experience in amateur radio, Len.
That's a plain and simple fact.

-- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left...

I don't intend to keep reminding him of his remaining time on the
planet. �Any of us could easily go before Len does. �All it takes is a
traffic accident (Roger Wiseman's death wish for me: failing brakes,
sharp curves, twisting road) or a sudden illness. �The fact is that I've
already enjoyed 43 years in amateur radio.

Practice safe and defensive driving, Sir Heil.

I've always done so.

I've enjoyed 54 years in MANY different radio services...and
51 years of those NOT paid for directly the US government.

That's great, Len. I'm happy for you. I hope you'll gain some
experience in amateur radio. Perhaps you'll learn the ropes and lose
that neophyte status.

-- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

If he gets busy and hones his skills, he could get it done. �I made over
that number in my nearly sixteen years overseas though it wasn't really
that long since I was typically in the U.S. for two to three months
between assignments and usually burned a month or so of leave in the
U.S. or elsewhere each year. �I've submitted nearly 30,000 QSOs to LOTW
but I still have years of contest logs from the paper logging days which
have yet to be entered into the computer logging database. �It'd be nice
to have a half million or so QSOs logged before departure time.

I don't recall that U.S. government regulations REQUIRE
all that CONTACT collection. [looking through Title 47
again...] Nope, NOTHING in the regulations about that...

You don't have to make any contacts at all, Len. It really won't bother me.

So, nearly a quarter million [transitory] CONTACTS via
amateur radio.

Way over that number, Leonard. All human radio contacts are transitory.

What does that prove? The capability of
making lots of [transitory] contacts?

The only kind of radio contacts there are, happen to be transitory.

Yes, but doing so
many is little more than accumulating some self-logged
contacts...

Self-logged? What other kind are there?

...that take a relatively long time to ascertain.

What, pray tell, does that mean?

There are collectors who have amassed great quantities
of pennies, string, and other items.

Great, Len. If you'd like to do one of those things, feel free.

If Len Anderson wants to pretend that he is part of some revolution, let
him play.

Tsk, tsk, I *AM* part of the revolution... :-)

Right.

He'll unbox his JA transceiver, hook it to a vertical antenna
and have all the fun he is capable of having.

Already done. :-)

Having all the fun you're capable of having? :-)

Marie, I know you want to give cake to the peasants, but
don't lose your head in excoriating them...

You aren't lopping off heads, Len. You're a beginner in amateur radio.
Trust me on this point: You'll get all the recognition you deserve.

Dave K8MN

John Smith I April 4th 07 02:17 PM

Dave Heil wrote:

You aren't lopping off heads, Len. You're a beginner in amateur radio.
Trust me on this point: You'll get all the recognition you deserve.

Dave K8MN

Standing in the midst of genderless midgets, he IS bound to get
attention! 8-)

JS

Dave Heil April 4th 07 03:50 PM

John Smith I wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:

You aren't lopping off heads, Len. You're a beginner in amateur radio.
Trust me on this point: You'll get all the recognition you deserve.

Dave K8MN

Standing in the midst of genderless midgets, he IS bound to get
attention! 8-)

I'll bet. His problem is where to find a bunch of genderless midgets.
Who knows, they might elect him their leader.

Dave K8MN

KH6HZ April 4th 07 04:04 PM

"Dave Heil" wrote:

I'll bet. His problem is where to find a bunch of genderless midgets.
Who knows, they might elect him their leader.

Follow the diamond-brick road....

Follow the diamond-brick road....

Follow, follow, follow, follow

Follow the diamond-brick road....

[email protected] April 5th 07 12:14 AM

On Apr 4, 11:50 am, Dave Heil wrote:
John Smith I wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:

You aren't lopping off heads, Len. You're a beginner in amateur radio.
Trust me on this point: You'll get all the recognition you deserve.

Dave K8MN

Standing in the midst of genderless midgets, he IS bound to get
attention! 8-)

I'll bet. His problem is where to find a bunch of genderless midgets.
Who knows, they might elect him their leader.

Dave K8MN

Speaking of genderless midgets, elections, and leaders, how's your run
for the Roanoke Division Directorship going?