RadioBanter

-   -   The First 13 Days of the Revolution (https://www.radiobanter.com/policy/116269-first-13-days-revolution.html)

AF6AY March 31st 07 07:09 PM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

On Mar 31, 4:30�am, wrote:
On Mar 30, 2:47 am, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 29, 5:52?pm, wrote:
On Mar 29, 10:19 pm, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 29, 3:08?am, wrote:
On Mar 29, 12:18 am, Dave Heil wrote:
AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 27, 5:19?pm, wrote:
You didn't serve in Korea.

? ?As far as I'm concerned, Heil hasn't shown us ANY proof
? ?that He was in southeast Asia during his military service.

I believe him. ?Then there was the American Embassy in Tanzania. ?I've
wondered about his proximity during the bombing.

* *Well, let's just say that Heil's PROOF of service is a tad
* *scant. *:-)

I saw his web page. *He's not one of the nuts that claims to have been
in Vietnam and at Woodstock simultaneously.

Heil has a web page all his own? Interesting...

You made up your classic tale of
what it is like to undergo an artillery barrage. ?

Did Len get it wrong? ?Tell us what it's like.

? ?I'd like to know what David "knows." ?I've been roughly
? ?200 yards from an artillery fall...which was 300 yards
? ?too close to the training group I was in.

Yeh, there's usuall one KIA on every FTX, but usually from a vehicle
accident or pushing a mast ito power lines or something usually
preventable. ?We had a round impact next to dmain - I think it was
moonsan during Winter Haze. ?They really shouldn't let those guys play
with those things. ?They could hurt someone.

* *Right! *The cadre we had were mostly career officers of
* *the red (artillery) and were NOT happy about THEM being
* *so close to the fall zone.

Many officers lacked a sense of humor.

Ahem...the bunch of us doing PIP training were in FULL
AGREEMENT with those two first johns! :-)

Your smugness is legendary.

? ?It must be his training at the Fruenze Military Academy. ?:-)

Did they win the war?

* *Yes, they did! * [see private e-mail]

Not in my long-time account, and I just checked my hotmail account -
it was inactive and I had to start it up again. *No messages.

Roger that. Please let me know in private e-mail what
the correct account is...

? ?Well, we've had Major Dud in here expostulating up a storm
? ?about his "USMC career." ?

Curtailed career with no explanation whatsoever... ?VA hospital,
rehabilitation, and disability pension, but was never injured, save
for some grit that got in his eye once. ?Hmmmm?

* *Heh...but he finally got some RANK. *I looked in on his
* *home page. *A much newer flight suit, but less hair and
* *more pudgyness. *Still the familiar scowl. *He must think
* *that makes him look like a "tough guy." *:-)

When you're that short, you've got to use every angle to get a little
respect. *Have you visited any of his "other" web pages?

No. I don't expect anything different than his AOL home
page. :-)

? ?We've had Heil telling all sorts of
? ?things about "being in a country AT war." ?Those all blend
? ?together, don't they?

So who hasn't? ?Most of the people I actually know have been
deployed. ?I don't actually know Jim, but I'm told he has served in
other ways.

* *Serving is serving. *Who knows, he could have been a bus
* *boy at an O Club somewhere in PA when going to collitch.
* *Bus boys sometimes do serving.

For all we know Jim is blind or in a wheelchair and had a perfectly
legitimate reason for not serving. *Is Jim blind or in a wheelchair?

I have NO idea. I've only seen his brother's picture that
came up in a Search for other information of different
topics.

? ?Did David actually OPERATE any radios (other than a BC
? ?receiver) in Vietnam? ?I must have missed one of his brags
? ?about that because I don't recall him giving any information
? ?on that. ?I really can't believe half of what he says in here.

All I can recall about his retelling of his Vietnam period was being
PO'd at not being permitted to be a ham over there.

* *Really? *I thought he ran the Vietnam MARS stations all
* *by himself! * I was mistaken. * :-)

That was Robesin - eavesdropping on phone patches with the wives...

From Oki. :-)

Back in '55 there was a regular "soap opera" on the Okinawa
SSB radio circuit over the second voice channel. Between
1 AM and 2 PM local (Japan and Oki) time, a Major in Tokyo
would call up his Captain nurse girlfriend in Okinawa and
generally babble all about how she ought to marry him when
he got rid of his current wife. Not bad technique he had but
I have no idea what happened afterwards. That lasted for about
a month and I doubt the Major (who must have had some
comms authority) was aware that 20 to 30 guys were listening
in at various places on the circuit. Made the midnight shift a
bit entertaining, dull as it normally was locally. :-)

* *Hilversum's PCJ is world famous and Eddie Starz was still
* *alive in 1965. *Terrific linguist, could handle most of the
* *languages himself! *"Peace, Cheer, Joy" is what he called
* *PCJ. *Difficult for me to get Holland directly so I tune for
* *their Netherlands Antilles repeater station.

I imagine that's where my interest in radio came from. *Hey, that old
radio had tubes!

Sunnuvagun! :-)

? ?But, David is passing a brick about my being a "newcomer
? ?to radio" (after 54 years of that) and I guess we are supposed
? ?to let him do that. ?[the pain must be excrutiating for him]

Yikes! ?That's one rough gall stone!

* *He's a big guy, ruff and tuff...he can take it.

He should seek medical help.

I nominate "doctor robeson" since he is up on all that medical
stuff and has all those certificates and training, etc. :-)

Anyway, I've passed the 20 year mark in amateur radio, and in ham
years I'm still wet behind the ears... ?according to the coded
elitists.

* *Nobody "better" than the coded elitists. *Ask any one of them.

* *Sigh...there'l be no peace for them until the last coder's key
* *is pried from their cold, dead fingers. *I'll be helping with the
* *pry bar when it happens. *:-)

I've already got one; don't need another. *For all I care they can be
buried with them. *Hopefully it's not one of those $400 jewels and the
grave robbers leave them alone. *RIP, I say!

Well, some of those keys have beautiful mechanical and plating
workmanship. Saw one at the local HRO outlet in Burbank, CA,
the other day...imported from Sweden! :-) I got a kick out of
that "imported" remark...being of Swedish descent and Burbank
having more-than-average Scandinavians who once worked at
Lockheed Aircraft. So nicely made that I doubt the morse code
on it had any Swedish accent. :-)

73, Len AF6AY

AF6AY April 3rd 07 06:34 PM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

On Mar 29, 6:24�pm, Dave Heil wrote a typical
warm, wonderful "welcome" message of:
KH6HZ wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:

You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. *I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license...

It doesn't matter whether he's jealous or not, Mike. *He can fill up his
years with getting on 75m and telling hams who have been in the game for
decades about his experiences at ADA in the 1950's.

Ah, but I DID have those experiences, proven by several
publicly-accessible references and documented
licenses. :-)

Tsk, that seems to **** off some "club call" collectors
and civilian government service "careerists." :-)

Does having been granted a Commercial radiotelephone
operator license 51 years ago NOT count? Of course it
"doesn't count" sinc AMATEUR RADIO is the ONLY WAY
one can "get experience" according to the snipers and
general cat-callers.

-- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left...

I don't intend to keep reminding him of his remaining time on the
planet. *Any of us could easily go before Len does. *All it takes is a
traffic accident (Roger Wiseman's death wish for me: failing brakes,
sharp curves, twisting road) or a sudden illness. *The fact is that I've
already enjoyed 43 years in amateur radio.

Practice safe and defensive driving, Sir Heil.

I've enjoyed 54 years in MANY different radio services...and
51 years of those NOT paid for directly the US government.

-- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

If he gets busy and hones his skills, he could get it done. *I made over
that number in my nearly sixteen years overseas though it wasn't really
that long since I was typically in the U.S. for two to three months
between assignments and usually burned a month or so of leave in the
U.S. or elsewhere each year. *I've submitted nearly 30,000 QSOs to LOTW
but I still have years of contest logs from the paper logging days which
have yet to be entered into the computer logging database. *It'd be nice
to have a half million or so QSOs logged before departure time.

I don't recall that U.S. government regulations REQUIRE
all that CONTACT collection. [looking through Title 47
again...] Nope, NOTHING in the regulations about that...

So, nearly a quarter million [transitory] CONTACTS via
amateur radio. What does that prove? The capability of
making lots of [transitory] contacts? Yes, but doing so
many is little more than accumulating some self-logged
contacts that take a relatively long time to ascertain.
There are collectors who have amassed great quantities
of pennies, string, and other items.

If Len Anderson wants to pretend that he is part of some revolution, let
him play.

Tsk, tsk, I *AM* part of the revolution... :-)

*He'll unbox his JA transceiver, hook it to a vertical antenna
and have all the fun he is capable of having.

Already done. :-)

Marie, I know you want to give cake to the peasants, but
don't lose your head in excoriating them...

73, Len AF6AY

[email protected] April 4th 07 01:29 AM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

myname @juno.com

[email protected] April 4th 07 02:27 AM

On Apr 2, 1:35 pm, wrote:
On 29 Mar 2007 18:58:44 -0700, wrote:

On Mar 29, 10:38 pm, Dave Heil wrote:
AF6AY wrote:
On Mar 29, 3:08?am, wrote:
On Mar 29, 12:18 am, Dave Heil wrote:

You bleated something about Korea. ?
You bleated something about running for the Roanoke Division
Directorship. ?How's your nomination coming?
He may have only 1 nomination vote. shrug

I've not announced that I'm running for any ARRL office. If or when I
do, you'll not have a chance to vote for a candidate from the Roanoke
Division. I understand your error. You're a newcomer to amateur radio.

Apparently not. Len understands that he cannot vote for you.

Gee I thought Len could Vote for Dave if I he wnated to file some kind
of statemetement declaring that area his real home area something like
that

I don't know anything about that. Maybe Dave the keeper of the rules
can expand on it.

[email protected] April 4th 07 02:35 AM

On Mar 29, 11:24 pm, Dave Heil wrote:
KH6HZ wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:

You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license...

It doesn't matter whether he's jealous or not, Mike. He can fill up his
years with getting on 75m and telling hams who have been in the game for
decades about his experiences at ADA in the 1950's.

Wow, lots of envy and hostility in that statement...

-- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left...

I don't intend to keep reminding him of his remaining time on the
planet. Any of us could easily go before Len does. All it takes is a
traffic accident (Roger Wiseman's death wish for me: failing brakes,
sharp curves, twisting road) or a sudden illness.

Or Robesin's predictions for "Slashed tires, bricks through windows,
and terrorized wives..."

The fact is that I've
already enjoyed 43 years in amateur radio.

Ahem, minus one year during your tour in Vietnam. Remember, no ham
radio for you...

-- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

If he gets busy and hones his skills, he could get it done. I made over
that number in my nearly sixteen years overseas though it wasn't really
that long since I was typically in the U.S. for two to three months
between assignments and usually burned a month or so of leave in the
U.S. or elsewhere each year. I've submitted nearly 30,000 QSOs to LOTW
but I still have years of contest logs from the paper logging days which
have yet to be entered into the computer logging database.

Get off the branch water and it might be possible for you to get it
done... unless you're taking time out to run for Director of the
Roanoke Division.

It'd be nice
to have a half million or so QSOs logged before departure time.

Better find a DXpedition.

If Len Anderson wants to pretend that he is part of some revolution, let
him play. He'll unbox his JA transceiver, hook it to a vertical antenna
and have all the fun he is capable of having.

Dave K8MN

No different than you unboxing your TN transceiver...

Dave Heil April 4th 07 06:50 AM

KH6HZ wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:
You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. �I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".
I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license...

It doesn't matter whether he's jealous or not, Mike. �He can fill up his
years with getting on 75m and telling hams who have been in the game for
decades about his experiences at ADA in the 1950's.

Ah, but I DID have those experiences, proven by several
publicly-accessible references and documented
licenses. :-)

I've seen little indication that anyone but you cares.

Does having been granted a Commercial radiotelephone
operator license 51 years ago NOT count?

Not count as what, Leonard?

Of course it
"doesn't count" sinc AMATEUR RADIO is the ONLY WAY
one can "get experience" according to the snipers and
general cat-callers.

It certainly doesn't count as experience in amateur radio, Len.
That's a plain and simple fact.

-- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left...

I don't intend to keep reminding him of his remaining time on the
planet. �Any of us could easily go before Len does. �All it takes is a
traffic accident (Roger Wiseman's death wish for me: failing brakes,
sharp curves, twisting road) or a sudden illness. �The fact is that I've
already enjoyed 43 years in amateur radio.

Practice safe and defensive driving, Sir Heil.

I've always done so.

I've enjoyed 54 years in MANY different radio services...and
51 years of those NOT paid for directly the US government.

That's great, Len. I'm happy for you. I hope you'll gain some
experience in amateur radio. Perhaps you'll learn the ropes and lose
that neophyte status.

-- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

If he gets busy and hones his skills, he could get it done. �I made over
that number in my nearly sixteen years overseas though it wasn't really
that long since I was typically in the U.S. for two to three months
between assignments and usually burned a month or so of leave in the
U.S. or elsewhere each year. �I've submitted nearly 30,000 QSOs to LOTW
but I still have years of contest logs from the paper logging days which
have yet to be entered into the computer logging database. �It'd be nice
to have a half million or so QSOs logged before departure time.

I don't recall that U.S. government regulations REQUIRE
all that CONTACT collection. [looking through Title 47
again...] Nope, NOTHING in the regulations about that...

You don't have to make any contacts at all, Len. It really won't bother me.

So, nearly a quarter million [transitory] CONTACTS via
amateur radio.

Way over that number, Leonard. All human radio contacts are transitory.

What does that prove? The capability of
making lots of [transitory] contacts?

The only kind of radio contacts there are, happen to be transitory.

Yes, but doing so
many is little more than accumulating some self-logged
contacts...

Self-logged? What other kind are there?

...that take a relatively long time to ascertain.

What, pray tell, does that mean?

There are collectors who have amassed great quantities
of pennies, string, and other items.

Great, Len. If you'd like to do one of those things, feel free.

If Len Anderson wants to pretend that he is part of some revolution, let
him play.

Tsk, tsk, I *AM* part of the revolution... :-)

Right.

He'll unbox his JA transceiver, hook it to a vertical antenna
and have all the fun he is capable of having.

Already done. :-)

Having all the fun you're capable of having? :-)

Marie, I know you want to give cake to the peasants, but
don't lose your head in excoriating them...

You aren't lopping off heads, Len. You're a beginner in amateur radio.
Trust me on this point: You'll get all the recognition you deserve.

Dave K8MN

John Smith I April 4th 07 02:17 PM

Dave Heil wrote:

You aren't lopping off heads, Len. You're a beginner in amateur radio.
Trust me on this point: You'll get all the recognition you deserve.

Dave K8MN

Standing in the midst of genderless midgets, he IS bound to get
attention! 8-)

JS

Dave Heil April 4th 07 03:50 PM

John Smith I wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:

You aren't lopping off heads, Len. You're a beginner in amateur radio.
Trust me on this point: You'll get all the recognition you deserve.

Dave K8MN

Standing in the midst of genderless midgets, he IS bound to get
attention! 8-)

I'll bet. His problem is where to find a bunch of genderless midgets.
Who knows, they might elect him their leader.

Dave K8MN

KH6HZ April 4th 07 04:04 PM

"Dave Heil" wrote:

I'll bet. His problem is where to find a bunch of genderless midgets.
Who knows, they might elect him their leader.

Follow the diamond-brick road....

Follow the diamond-brick road....

Follow, follow, follow, follow

Follow the diamond-brick road....

[email protected] April 5th 07 12:14 AM

On Apr 4, 11:50 am, Dave Heil wrote:
John Smith I wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:

You aren't lopping off heads, Len. You're a beginner in amateur radio.
Trust me on this point: You'll get all the recognition you deserve.

Dave K8MN

Standing in the midst of genderless midgets, he IS bound to get
attention! 8-)

I'll bet. His problem is where to find a bunch of genderless midgets.
Who knows, they might elect him their leader.

Dave K8MN

Speaking of genderless midgets, elections, and leaders, how's your run
for the Roanoke Division Directorship going?

AF6AY April 5th 07 06:40 AM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

From: on Tues, Apr 3 2007 6:35 pm

KH6HZ wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:

You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license...

It doesn't matter whether he's jealous or not, Mike. He can fill up his
years with getting on 75m and telling hams who have been in the game for
decades about his experiences at ADA in the 1950's.

Wow, lots of envy and hostility in that statement...

That's all I expect from the Robust Oberst. :-)

But then, we are speaking of "Mister DeeEcks" of Department of
State (Retired)...who BECAME DX Out Of Africa and Finland under
State's generous "A DX of One" program to help hams worldwide
get a rare one. Hard to beat that...and he got PAID to do it!

Me, I just did (like you did) what I was told to do and also
be proficient at "destroying the enemy" in my military service.
That I lucked out on my military assignment wasn't any doing
of mine. But, I DID take advantage of learning, observing
all that went on, asking questions to study more...and making
friends with a lot of good people, both military and civilian.

I dunno why Mister DeeEcks thinks I should "get on 75m" when
there is already an established net on 20m of ex-RCA employees
who get together every morning. I worked with some of them
in real life (as opposed to the imaginary life spent staring
at front panels while gabbing with relative strangers). :-)

-- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left...

I don't intend to keep reminding him of his remaining time on the
planet. Any of us could easily go before Len does. All it takes is a
traffic accident (Roger Wiseman's death wish for me: failing brakes,
sharp curves, twisting road) or a sudden illness.

Or Robesin's predictions for "Slashed tires, bricks through windows,
and terrorized wives..."

Robesin is the Public Affairs Officer for his CAP unit in TN.
Some "public affairs" of his must be kinda 'private.' :-)

Wow, if Robesin is typical of CAP Public Affairs, the CAP
is in a HEAP of trouble!

The fact is that I've
already enjoyed 43 years in amateur radio.

Ahem, minus one year during your tour in Vietnam. Remember, no ham
radio for you...

We really don't know how long he was there. [Robesin syndrome?]

According to a couple websites, he was a rock musician - guitarist
for ten years with several bands. Those aren't "ham bands." :-)
That occupied some of the 22 years between first being licensed
(1963) and being sent to the Finland Embassy (1985). He got his
Vanity call of K8MN in 1977 and there's 8 years between that and
his first Helsinki posting.

-- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

If he gets busy and hones his skills, he could get it done.

I still don't understand this NECESSITY of "logging thousands
of contacts"...just to log thousands of contacts?

What does one DO with all those logs? I would suggest just
recycling those logs to save real logs from being turned into
paper pulp to "archive" ham logs. Putting it all into CD R/W
discs for archival would require using Chinese-manufacture
CD blanks whose plastic is made from non-renewable petroleum.

I made over
that number in my nearly sixteen years overseas though it wasn't really
that long since I was typically in the U.S. for two to three months
between assignments and usually burned a month or so of leave in the
U.S. or elsewhere each year. I've submitted nearly 30,000 QSOs to LOTW
but I still have years of contest logs from the paper logging days which
have yet to be entered into the computer logging database.

1985 to 2000 is just FIFTEEN years. Wow, all that FREE TIME
(paid for?) between "assignments." Not a bad gig, 11 months
of "work" a year. Very "European."

Get off the branch water and it might be possible for you to get it
done... unless you're taking time out to run for Director of the
Roanoke Division.

He ought to lay off the Marlboros, too...not to mention the
brannvin. Of course, another storm might come up and the
OTHER tower fall over...thus taking more time away from all
that "logging."

It'd be nice
to have a half million or so QSOs logged before departure time.

Better find a DXpedition.

This time he gonna have to PAY for it out of his own pocket
(and pension check). :-)

Mr. Roarke might help him out on an expedition to Fantasy
Island? :-) "de blane! de blane!"

If Len Anderson wants to pretend that he is part of some revolution, let
him play. He'll unbox his JA transceiver, hook it to a vertical antenna
and have all the fun he is capable of having.

No different than you unboxing your TN transceiver...

My IC-746Pro is made in Japan. The companion SP-23 filter-speaker
is made in China. I haven't looked to see where the PS-125 (free)
12 VDC supply is made. My MFJ dry dummy load is made in
Starkville,
MS. My Heil Sound ProSetPlus is made (somewhat) in a suburb of
Chicago, IL. The vertical antenna I will probably get will be made
in Issaquah, WA, (on the Puget Sound). I dunno WHERE the wire I am
using for a temporary HF antenna was made. That is matched by an
LDG AT-100Pro Autotuner (powered by the IC-746Pro). The Diamond
discone I'm using for 10m through 23cm was made in Japan (very well
made at that) and it is held up by some thin-wall conduit pipe made
in the USA with a Cable Experts RG-8 coax cable bringing it into
the house office (I didn't check where the coax or UHF connector
fitting assembly happened...didn't know that was so IMPORTANT!).

No sweat...whatever I have, Davey Heil will PUT IT DOWN! :-)
He always does...

73, Len AF6AY

AF6AY April 5th 07 06:41 AM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

From: John Smith I on Wed, 04 Apr 2007
06:17:11 -0700

Dave Heil snarled:

You aren't lopping off heads, Len. You're a beginner in amateur radio.
Trust me on this point: You'll get all the recognition you deserve.

Standing in the midst of genderless midgets, he IS bound to get
attention! 8-)

Careful, JS, you are speaking to Mister DeeEcks, formerly from
the Government! [here to help? nah...]

He WAS DX!

Like that is the "only" function a US amateur "must" have...
"working DX on HF with CW." :-)

I've got to stay away from those rainbows...all those Little
People near them with little round pots.

73, Len AF6AY

John Smith I April 5th 07 12:52 PM

AF6AY wrote:

Careful, JS, you are speaking to Mister DeeEcks, formerly from
the Government! [here to help? nah...]

He WAS DX!
73, Len AF6AY

Len:

I am quite sure the problem is all on this end; the importance of
pointless bickering has always escaped me ...

Regards,
JS

AF6AY April 5th 07 05:49 PM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

On Apr 5, 3:52�am, John Smith I wrote:
AF6AY wrote:

* ...

* *Careful, JS, you are speaking to Mister DeeEcks, formerly from
* *the Government! *[here to help? *nah...]

* *He WAS DX!

Len:

I am quite sure the problem is all on this end; *the importance of
pointless bickering has always escaped me ...

It ain't "pointless bickering" in Heil's case. In the typical
"look at me, I am SOMEBODY" fashion of computer-modem
comms, the bickerer has to come out on top, regardless.

During Word War 3 prior to FCC 06-178, morsemen HAD
to be on top. It was almost a compulsion. Just about all
the old morse myths were brought out, dusted off, and
presented in all their "glory" despite being outmoded, out-
dated, too worn to use in the future. Morsemen were
intensely PROUD of their skill and were bound and
determined to shove it down everyone's throat...whether
anyone actually thought much of the mode or not. They
had rank, status, privilege all because of that morse skill
and hated to lose any of it. It was almost a fight for
survival of a species...it was THEM or no one...and to
hell with what any newcomer thinks or for the future of
US amateur radio. It was extremism in the defence of
their very-private playground. [de fence was up and
trying to keep off the encroaching voice modes]

Early on I had mentioned my military service assignment.
I thought it was adequate proof that "CW" wasn't up to
the task of hundreds of thousands of message relays
per month (teleprinter was used)...the necessity for an
entire military theater of operations doing 24/7 duty during
the Cold War. No, the morsemen HAD to try turning that
around to "my bragging" and a general big nothing during
Word War 3. Sure, I did brag some since I absolutely
lucked out on that assignment, even if the station was only
the third largest in the Army worldwide network. Even
being only third, pushing 220K messages relayed a month
24/7 is Big Business any way one slices it. The amateur
national network can't come close to that using RTTY and
certainly not via "CW." Manual "CW" even at 20 to 40
WPM just can't beat the old 60 WPM machinery (then
the only form of Data using electromechanical terminals).

That was in 1953 to 1956 and most of the "CW" super-
skilled hams in here were just being born (a few not yet
conceived). The military was ramping up its skills and
beginning to go 100 WPM teleprinter, 300 WPM "Data"
(that word not yet in vogue then), using Troposcatter
and hoping satellites could be put up without the launch
vehicles constantly exploding on the pad. All was
accomplished and more, no military OR commercial
service looking back to quaint old methods. Yet the
superskilled (self-imagined) hams HAD to stay with ALL
needing to be federally tested for "important" skill of
morse code! For a hobby activity yet. Morsemen had
done it, therefore "all could do it."

None of the Word War 3 fighting on morsemanship was
"pointless bickering" to the morsemen. They were the
"best radio operators" and HAD to tell everyone they
were. Years and years of them honing their twitchy-
fingered skills on the paddles made them a needed
resource in homeland defense and security of the nation,
the amateur radio SERVICE...and all should look up to
them, admire them, salute them as they entered a
room and other ossifer courtesy tenderred in utmost
respect and reverence.

So, on 17th February I decided to get in the amateur radio
hobby. Might be fun...except in here waging the on-going
gorilla fight in the post Word War 3 era. I became an
Extra Out Of The Box by test on February 25th, by law on
7 March. All the operating privileges of any OTHER Extra
are mine, no restrictions by law. Now Heil wants to drone
on that I'm such a "Beginner, a Neophyte" in ANY radio,
amateur or not. After 54 years of doing it in many radio
services? Amateurism is extra super-special most very
difficult to learn? No. It is for me and morsemanship,
something I will probably never use, but who really cares
except morsemen? The FCC gives the OPTION to any
amateur to use ANY allocated mode, any allocated band.

Ah, but Heil, Miccolis, Kelly, et al, say I "MUST" use "CW"
to "PROVE WORTH." Prove to whom? To them? Mais non,
mon ami, they be just little people, almost a protected
species of old and, with the protection they had gone, now
a dying breed. They continue their POINTLESS BICKERING
yet, trying to put down all those who do not agree with Their
magnificence and god-like skills. It is Them against the rest
of the radio world and they are losing. Let them bicker and
rant. It is all they have left in the wreckage of their fallen
towers and former imagined glory.

73, Len AF6AY

Dave Heil April 5th 07 06:54 PM

From: on Tues, Apr 3 2007 6:35 pm

KH6HZ wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:
You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".
I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license...
It doesn't matter whether he's jealous or not, Mike. He can fill up his
years with getting on 75m and telling hams who have been in the game for
decades about his experiences at ADA in the 1950's.

Wow, lots of envy and hostility in that statement...

That's all I expect from the Robust Oberst. :-)

There was envy expressed, Windy.

But then, we are speaking of "Mister DeeEcks" of Department of
State (Retired)...who BECAME DX Out Of Africa and Finland under
State's generous "A DX of One" program to help hams worldwide
get a rare one. Hard to beat that...and he got PAID to do it!

Most folks who work for an employer expect to be paid. Did you ever
work for any employer for free?

Me, I just did (like you did) what I was told to do and also
be proficient at "destroying the enemy" in my military service.

Have you ever destroyed an enemy, Leonard?

I dunno why Mister DeeEcks thinks I should "get on 75m" when
there is already an established net on 20m of ex-RCA employees
who get together every morning.

Oh, I just picked a band at random. You can tell your tales on 20m if
you choose.

I worked with some of them
in real life (as opposed to the imaginary life spent staring
at front panels while gabbing with relative strangers). :-)

If I'm to believe your statement, I never stared at a front panel and
chatted with relative strangers, I simply imagined that I did.

The fact is that I've
already enjoyed 43 years in amateur radio.

Ahem, minus one year during your tour in Vietnam. Remember, no ham
radio for you...

We really don't know how long he was there.

No, you really don't.

According to a couple websites, he was a rock musician - guitarist
for ten years with several bands. Those aren't "ham bands." :-)

....nor was there any claim that they were "ham bands."

That occupied some of the 22 years between first being licensed
(1963) and being sent to the Finland Embassy (1985).

Four of my years after licensing were spent completing high school.
I was never sent to the Finland Embassy. I was assigned to the American
Embassy.

He got his
Vanity call of K8MN in 1977...

I don't have a vanity callsign, Len.

...and there's 8 years between that and
his first Helsinki posting.

Call them "mytery years" if you like, Leonard. They can remain a
mystery to you.

-- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.
If he gets busy and hones his skills, he could get it done.

I still don't understand this NECESSITY of "logging thousands
of contacts"...just to log thousands of contacts?

I see part of your confusion, Leonardo. They aren't done just to log
thousands of contacts.

What does one DO with all those logs?

Ahhhh, another of life's eternal mysteries!

I would suggest just
recycling those logs to save real logs from being turned into
paper pulp to "archive" ham logs. Putting it all into CD R/W
discs for archival would require using Chinese-manufacture
CD blanks whose plastic is made from non-renewable petroleum.

There's no longer any requirement for you to maintain a log, Len.

I made over
that number in my nearly sixteen years overseas though it wasn't really
that long since I was typically in the U.S. for two to three months
between assignments and usually burned a month or so of leave in the
U.S. or elsewhere each year. I've submitted nearly 30,000 QSOs to LOTW
but I still have years of contest logs from the paper logging days which
have yet to be entered into the computer logging database.

1985 to 2000 is just FIFTEEN years. Wow, all that FREE TIME
(paid for?) between "assignments." Not a bad gig, 11 months
of "work" a year.

That "free time" isn't all "free time", Len. There are Washington
consultations regarding the previous and upcoming assignments. There
are visas to be obtained, medical exams, vaccinations to be obtained.
There are classes to be taken, sometimes four or five of them.

The "free time" can be either before or after those things. It is
called Home Leave and it is not charged to annual leave. Usually thirty
working days of Home Leave is mandated between assignments.

Very "European."

It's very American. The Home Leave is mandated by Congress. Most
Foreign Service employees spend most of their working lives overseas.

It'd be nice
to have a half million or so QSOs logged before departure time.

Better find a DXpedition.

This time he gonna have to PAY for it out of his own pocket
(and pension check). :-)

....at least that is your assumption. :-)

If Len Anderson wants to pretend that he is part of some revolution, let
him play. He'll unbox his JA transceiver, hook it to a vertical antenna
and have all the fun he is capable of having.

No different than you unboxing your TN transceiver...

My Heil Sound ProSetPlus is made (somewhat) in a suburb of
Chicago, IL.

Really? Fairview Heights has been moved from the St. Louis area to near
Chicago? You have made another in a long series of factual errors.

I use the Heil products here, Leonard. As you may know, with quality
microphones, what you get out of it is only as good as what you put into it.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil April 5th 07 06:56 PM

From: John Smith I on Wed, 04 Apr 2007
06:17:11 -0700

Dave Heil snarled:

You aren't lopping off heads, Len. You're a beginner in amateur radio.
Trust me on this point: You'll get all the recognition you deserve.

Standing in the midst of genderless midgets, he IS bound to get
attention! 8-)

Careful, JS, you are speaking to Mister DeeEcks, formerly from
the Government! [here to help? nah...]

He WAS DX!

Like that is the "only" function a US amateur "must" have...
"working DX on HF with CW." :-)

As you've been advised repeatedly, the only person making such a claim
is Leonard H. Anderson, now a neophyte in amateur radio.

Dave K8MN

[email protected] April 5th 07 10:51 PM

From: John Smith I on Wed, 04 Apr 2007
06:17:11 -0700

Dave Heil snarled:

You aren't lopping off heads, Len. You're a beginner in amateur radio.
Trust me on this point: You'll get all the recognition you deserve.

Standing in the midst of genderless midgets, he IS bound to get
attention! 8-)

Careful, JS, you are speaking to Mister DeeEcks, formerly from
the Government! [here to help? nah...]

He WAS DX!

Like that is the "only" function a US amateur "must" have...
"working DX on HF with CW." :-)

I've got to stay away from those rainbows...all those Little
People near them with little round pots.

73, Len AF6AY

I think Heil's out of band Frenchmen were on voice... that mode will
getcha in trouble every time!

[email protected] April 5th 07 11:18 PM

From: on Tues, Apr 3 2007 6:35 pm
KH6HZ wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:

You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license...

It doesn't matter whether he's jealous or not, Mike. He can fill up his
years with getting on 75m and telling hams who have been in the game for
decades about his experiences at ADA in the 1950's.

Wow, lots of envy and hostility in that statement...

That's all I expect from the Robust Oberst. :-)

That's good. That's all you'll ever get.

But then, we are speaking of "Mister DeeEcks" of Department of
State (Retired)...who BECAME DX Out Of Africa and Finland under
State's generous "A DX of One" program to help hams worldwide
get a rare one. Hard to beat that...and he got PAID to do it!

He never once did ham radio while at work. Just ask him.

Me, I just did (like you did) what I was told to do and also
be proficient at "destroying the enemy" in my military service.
That I lucked out on my military assignment wasn't any doing
of mine. But, I DID take advantage of learning, observing
all that went on, asking questions to study more...and making
friends with a lot of good people, both military and civilian.

Lots of night school, too.

I dunno why Mister DeeEcks thinks I should "get on 75m" when
there is already an established net on 20m of ex-RCA employees
who get together every morning. I worked with some of them
in real life (as opposed to the imaginary life spent staring
at front panels while gabbing with relative strangers). :-)

I like talking to strangers, as long as there not as strange as some
on RRAP.

-- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left...

I don't intend to keep reminding him of his remaining time on the
planet. Any of us could easily go before Len does. All it takes is a
traffic accident (Roger Wiseman's death wish for me: failing brakes,
sharp curves, twisting road) or a sudden illness.

Or Robesin's predictions for "Slashed tires, bricks through windows,
and terrorized wives..."

Robesin is the Public Affairs Officer for his CAP unit in TN.
Some "public affairs" of his must be kinda 'private.' :-)

Wow, if Robesin is typical of CAP Public Affairs, the CAP
is in a HEAP of trouble!

He must be screwing up - they've promoted him.

Two words... background investigation.

The fact is that I've
already enjoyed 43 years in amateur radio.

Ahem, minus one year during your tour in Vietnam. Remember, no ham
radio for you...

We really don't know how long he was there. [Robesin syndrome?]

Yikes! I hadn't considered that.

According to a couple websites, he was a rock musician - guitarist
for ten years with several bands. Those aren't "ham bands." :-)
That occupied some of the 22 years between first being licensed
(1963) and being sent to the Finland Embassy (1985). He got his
Vanity call of K8MN in 1977 and there's 8 years between that and
his first Helsinki posting.

Wonder why he selected Minnesota for a suffix?

-- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

If he gets busy and hones his skills, he could get it done.

I still don't understand this NECESSITY of "logging thousands
of contacts"...just to log thousands of contacts?

Compensation?

What does one DO with all those logs? I would suggest just
recycling those logs to save real logs from being turned into
paper pulp to "archive" ham logs. Putting it all into CD R/W
discs for archival would require using Chinese-manufacture
CD blanks whose plastic is made from non-renewable petroleum.

Mine are in my garage. That's where all my "important" papers are.

I made over
that number in my nearly sixteen years overseas though it wasn't really
that long since I was typically in the U.S. for two to three months
between assignments and usually burned a month or so of leave in the
U.S. or elsewhere each year. I've submitted nearly 30,000 QSOs to LOTW
but I still have years of contest logs from the paper logging days which
have yet to be entered into the computer logging database.

1985 to 2000 is just FIFTEEN years. Wow, all that FREE TIME
(paid for?) between "assignments." Not a bad gig, 11 months
of "work" a year. Very "European."

Europeans work far less than 11 months a year. That's why they have
so many trade restrictions with the USA... to level the playing field.

Get off the branch water and it might be possible for you to get it
done... unless you're taking time out to run for Director of the
Roanoke Division.

He ought to lay off the Marlboros, too...not to mention the
brannvin. Of course, another storm might come up and the
OTHER tower fall over...thus taking more time away from all
that "logging."

Heil had a tower failure?

It'd be nice
to have a half million or so QSOs logged before departure time.

Better find a DXpedition.

This time he gonna have to PAY for it out of his own pocket
(and pension check). :-)

Mr. Roarke might help him out on an expedition to Fantasy
Island? :-) "de blane! de blane!"

American Samoa might be a good gig.

If Len Anderson wants to pretend that he is part of some revolution, let
him play. He'll unbox his JA transceiver, hook it to a vertical antenna
and have all the fun he is capable of having.

No different than you unboxing your TN transceiver...

My IC-746Pro is made in Japan. The companion SP-23 filter-speaker
is made in China. I haven't looked to see where the PS-125 (free)
12 VDC supply is made. My MFJ dry dummy load is made in
Starkville,
MS. My Heil Sound ProSetPlus is made (somewhat) in a suburb of
Chicago, IL.

I don't know about that. Bob used to have his shop in Marissa,
Illinois, just south of my old address in the shadow of St Louis.
Later he opened small shop in Fairview Heights, where the sales tax is
7% because they have a shopping mall. He had mostly high-definition
TV at that location, so I don't know where he's manufacturing the
microphone line, or if he's "outsourced" it.

The vertical antenna I will probably get will be made
in Issaquah, WA, (on the Puget Sound). I dunno WHERE the wire I am
using for a temporary HF antenna was made. That is matched by an
LDG AT-100Pro Autotuner (powered by the IC-746Pro). The Diamond
discone I'm using for 10m through 23cm was made in Japan (very well
made at that) and it is held up by some thin-wall conduit pipe made
in the USA with a Cable Experts RG-8 coax cable bringing it into
the house office (I didn't check where the coax or UHF connector
fitting assembly happened...didn't know that was so IMPORTANT!).

No sweat...whatever I have, Davey Heil will PUT IT DOWN! :-)
He always does...

73, Len AF6AY

I'm partial to ICOM gear. But I've got a little bit of everything -
even radio shack.

AF6AY April 6th 07 04:22 AM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

From: on 5 Apr 2007 15:18:49 -0700

From: on Tues, Apr 3 2007 6:35 pm
KH6HZ wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:

It doesn't matter whether he's jealous or not, Mike. He can fill up his
years with getting on 75m and telling hams who have been in the game for
decades about his experiences at ADA in the 1950's.

Wow, lots of envy and hostility in that statement...

That's all I expect from the Robust Oberst. :-)

That's good. That's all you'll ever get.

I know. It never fails... :-)

But then, we are speaking of "Mister DeeEcks" of Department of
State (Retired)...who BECAME DX Out Of Africa and Finland under
State's generous "A DX of One" program to help hams worldwide
get a rare one. Hard to beat that...and he got PAID to do it!

He never once did ham radio while at work. Just ask him.

That's like asking Robesin something. :-)

Me, I just did (like you did) what I was told to do and also
be proficient at "destroying the enemy" in my military service.
That I lucked out on my military assignment wasn't any doing
of mine. But, I DID take advantage of learning, observing
all that went on, asking questions to study more...and making
friends with a lot of good people, both military and civilian.

Lots of night school, too.

Not in the Army...in civilian life...to satisfy personnel
departments with "credentials" while I had already done
the responsible design engineering. :-(

Herr Robust made some crack about "how many did I destroy?"

Ya know, He NEVER said anything about His military service
that could be pinned down to something substantial. I think
he's just one of those fakers who IMPLY things and then bluff
out on some (bogus) claims of "post traumatic stress."

I dunno why Mister DeeEcks thinks I should "get on 75m" when
there is already an established net on 20m of ex-RCA employees
who get together every morning. I worked with some of them
in real life (as opposed to the imaginary life spent staring
at front panels while gabbing with relative strangers). :-)

I like talking to strangers, as long as there not as strange as some
on RRAP.

Alas, some strangers ARE most strange indeed.

I don't intend to keep reminding him of his remaining time on the
planet. Any of us could easily go before Len does. All it takes is a
traffic accident (Roger Wiseman's death wish for me: failing brakes,
sharp curves, twisting road) or a sudden illness.

Or Robesin's predictions for "Slashed tires, bricks through windows,
and terrorized wives..."

Robesin is the Public Affairs Officer for his CAP unit in TN.
Some "public affairs" of his must be kinda 'private.' :-)

Wow, if Robesin is typical of CAP Public Affairs, the CAP
is in a HEAP of trouble!

He must be screwing up - they've promoted him.

Two words... background investigation.

Two more words... fails background.

The fact is that I've
already enjoyed 43 years in amateur radio.

Ahem, minus one year during your tour in Vietnam. Remember, no ham
radio for you...

We really don't know how long he was there. [Robesin syndrome?]

Yikes! I hadn't considered that.

He's a smoothie on "convincing" folks. Turns right around
and becomes snarly when someone argues the opposite of what
he's declared. Otherwise, same-o, same-o.

According to a couple websites, he was a rock musician - guitarist
for ten years with several bands. Those aren't "ham bands." :-)
That occupied some of the 22 years between first being licensed
(1963) and being sent to the Finland Embassy (1985). He got his
Vanity call of K8MN in 1977 and there's 8 years between that and
his first Helsinki posting.

Wonder why he selected Minnesota for a suffix?

That's an "in memoriam" Vanity callsign to honor his Elmer.

-- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

If he gets busy and hones his skills, he could get it done.

I still don't understand this NECESSITY of "logging thousands
of contacts"...just to log thousands of contacts?

Compensation?

Well, it's something. Something like collecting string, stamps,
dolls, paperweights, all sorts of different memorabilia and knick-
knacks.

What does one DO with all those logs? I would suggest just
recycling those logs to save real logs from being turned into
paper pulp to "archive" ham logs. Putting it all into CD R/W
discs for archival would require using Chinese-manufacture
CD blanks whose plastic is made from non-renewable petroleum.

Mine are in my garage. That's where all my "important" papers are.

My REALLY important papers are in my safety deposit box. Since
there's NO necessity to keep logs (except for the "new" modes
like SS) I think some jottings on scratch paper ought to suffice.

Words on the VEC QP say "it's a good idea for resolving inter-
ference complaints." I don't know how that can "resolve" them
since it would be kept by the person allegedly doing the RFI.
Such wouldn't stand up in court. But, lots of hams like to act
like "pros" at broadcast stations, so they keep logs. Last time
I did any broadcasting, the only thing noted in logs was when a
station was OFF the air beyond its normal, announced hours.

I made over
that number in my nearly sixteen years overseas though it wasn't really
that long since I was typically in the U.S. for two to three months
between assignments and usually burned a month or so of leave in the
U.S. or elsewhere each year. I've submitted nearly 30,000 QSOs to LOTW
but I still have years of contest logs from the paper logging days which
have yet to be entered into the computer logging database.

1985 to 2000 is just FIFTEEN years. Wow, all that FREE TIME
(paid for?) between "assignments." Not a bad gig, 11 months
of "work" a year. Very "European."

Europeans work far less than 11 months a year. That's why they have
so many trade restrictions with the USA... to level the playing field.

heh heh heh. That's one way to look at it.

Get off the branch water and it might be possible for you to get it
done... unless you're taking time out to run for Director of the
Roanoke Division.

He ought to lay off the Marlboros, too...not to mention the
brannvin. Of course, another storm might come up and the
OTHER tower fall over...thus taking more time away from all
that "logging."

Heil had a tower failure?

Yah. 2004. He's got TWO towers. One buckled somewhere in its
middle and it came down, elements of one beam punching a hole
in his roof. He has pictures of it on some personal web site.
Not a pretty sight.

On the same web site he's got a picture of a small bottle of
Finnish vodka. Swedes label the "hard" spirits 'brannvin,'
literally translates as 'burn wine.'

From the same pictures Heil appears to be a lefty, in one of
them twiddling a bug's paddles with the left, a package of
Marlboros at the ready by his right hand.

It'd be nice
to have a half million or so QSOs logged before departure time.

Better find a DXpedition.

This time he gonna have to PAY for it out of his own pocket
(and pension check). :-)

Mr. Roarke might help him out on an expedition to Fantasy
Island? :-) "de blane! de blane!"

American Samoa might be a good gig.

I think that might have been done. :-)

If Len Anderson wants to pretend that he is part of some revolution, let
him play. He'll unbox his JA transceiver, hook it to a vertical antenna
and have all the fun he is capable of having.

No different than you unboxing your TN transceiver...

My IC-746Pro is made in Japan. The companion SP-23 filter-speaker
is made in China. I haven't looked to see where the PS-125 (free)
12 VDC supply is made. My MFJ dry dummy load is made in
Starkville, MS. My Heil Sound ProSetPlus is made (somewhat) in a
suburb of Chicago, IL.

I don't know about that.

Heh heh heh...I was testing Heil again to see if he was paying
attention. :-)

Fairview Heights, IL, is just a few miles east of the Big Muddy
and East Saint Louis, IL. A few miles farther east and one cuts
north to go to Springfield. BTW, I heartily recommend going to
the Abraham Lincoln Museum in downtown Springfield...new, only
been open for a few years and is a GREAT experience for anyone
wanting to relive the times of his life and the American Civil
War era. Good parking a block away and minimal charge to enter.
Fabulous exhibits. You can take your own picture standing with
the Lincoln family in the rotunda (only place where they allow
photography...life-size mannikins with authentic clothing).

Note that I did NOT say where the LDG autotuner was made. Tsk,
I should have been given a "reminder" by know-it-all morsemen
on that! :-)

Bob used to have his shop in Marissa,
Illinois, just south of my old address in the shadow of St Louis.
Later he opened small shop in Fairview Heights, where the sales tax is
7% because they have a shopping mall. He had mostly high-definition
TV at that location, so I don't know where he's manufacturing the
microphone line, or if he's "outsourced" it.

Hi-Def TV? That must be a continuing thing then since
HDTV is just beginning to catch on in consumer electronics.

Heil Sound uses SOME off-shore made components, certainly
in accessories. The color, feel, shape of some of the bags
for mikes are the SAME as what H-P had for some of their
calculators 25 years ago (such as my olf HP-67). Adapters
for various mikes, headphones, headsets have distinctive
machining, plating, and plastic encapsulation of Asian
manufacture. Those are good, but the prices (allowing for
mark-up that is double their cost, easily) add the final
touch to be off-shore made.

No sweat...whatever I have, Davey Heil will PUT IT DOWN! :-)
He always does...

I'm partial to ICOM gear. But I've got a little bit of everything -
even radio shack.

My (now) ancient Icom R-70 is still doing just fine, gets to
sit in the line-up of my station...all 3 feet wide, foot and a
half high by foot and a quarter deep with room for other
goodies, no strain. New stuff is much more compact than old.

Whatever works for you and is reliable. But, Davey will PUT IT
DOWN, whatever it is. His are "better," whatever he's got. :-(

73, Len AF6AY

Dave Heil April 6th 07 07:31 PM

From: on 5 Apr 2007 15:18:49 -0700

Not in the Army...in civilian life...to satisfy personnel
departments with "credentials" while I had already done
the responsible design engineering. :-(

Herr Robust made some crack about "how many did I destroy?"

I don't recall asking anything about how many credentials or personnel
departments you destroyed, Windy. :-)

Ya know, He NEVER said anything about His military service
that could be pinned down to something substantial.

No, I don't believe I ever did. Now what?

I think
he's just one of those fakers who IMPLY things and then bluff
out on some (bogus) claims of "post traumatic stress."

I've never made any claims of military heroics. I've never claimed to
be a victim of "post traumatic stress". It bugs you that you don't
know. I take delight in that.

Ahem, minus one year during your tour in Vietnam. Remember, no ham
radio for you...

We really don't know how long he was there. [Robesin syndrome?]

Yikes! I hadn't considered that.

He's a smoothie on "convincing" folks. Turns right around
and becomes snarly when someone argues the opposite of what
he's declared. Otherwise, same-o, same-o.

I've not made much of an attempt to convince you of anything regarding
my military service, Len. You've said that you've not denigrated your
fellow military veterans. The facts show that you have.

Wonder why he selected Minnesota for a suffix?

That's an "in memoriam" Vanity callsign to honor his Elmer.

You still have it wrong. My call was not issued under the vanity
callsign program. I've had it for thirty years now.

Words on the VEC QP say "it's a good idea for resolving inter-
ference complaints." I don't know how that can "resolve" them
since it would be kept by the person allegedly doing the RFI.

as opposed to the word of the person complaining of RFI.

Such wouldn't stand up in court.

I think you're wrong on that, Leonard. Such things as a memorandum of
conversation or a carefull kept record of events can be used in court.

But, lots of hams like to act
like "pros" at broadcast stations, so they keep logs.

It has nothing to do with broadcast stations or acting like "pros", Len.
For decades, amateur radio operators were required by the FCC to
maintain logs. There is nothing keeping radio amateurs from maintaining
logs. They serve as a record of events for awards tracking, for
tracking propagation, for nostalgia and as a memorandum of
times/dates/frequencies used.

Last time
I did any broadcasting, the only thing noted in logs was when a
station was OFF the air beyond its normal, announced hours.

That's nice.

On the same web site he's got a picture of a small bottle of
Finnish vodka. Swedes label the "hard" spirits 'brannvin,'
literally translates as 'burn wine.'

Except it isn't Swedish vodka. It's there because the vodka's label
says "Strong 59".

From the same pictures Heil appears to be a lefty, in one of
them twiddling a bug's paddles with the left, a package of
Marlboros at the ready by his right hand.

I'm a left hander in some things, a right hander in others. I can use a
keyer paddle with either hand.

My Heil Sound ProSetPlus is made (somewhat) in a
suburb of Chicago, IL.

I don't know about that.

Heh heh heh...I was testing Heil again to see if he was paying
attention. :-)

Sure you were, "Anderson". :-) :-)

Fairview Heights, IL, is just a few miles east of the Big Muddy
and East Saint Louis, IL.

....but you thought it was near Chicago.

Note that I did NOT say where the LDG autotuner was made. Tsk,
I should have been given a "reminder" by know-it-all morsemen
on that! :-)

NOT saying likely saved you from another factual error.

Dave K8MN

[email protected] April 7th 07 02:40 AM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

On Apr 6, 3:34 pm, wrote:
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 18:31:56 GMT, Dave Heil

From: on 5 Apr 2007 15:18:49 -0700

Ya know, He NEVER said anything about His military service
that could be pinned down to something substantial.

No, I don't believe I ever did. Now what?

you start to wonder why people don't like or believ you at this point

Disgruntled Vietnam Vet is a long, long time to carry a grudge. Kerry
may have him beat...

[email protected] April 7th 07 02:51 AM

From: John Smith I on Wed, 04 Apr 2007
06:17:11 -0700

Dave Heil snarled:

You aren't lopping off heads, Len. You're a beginner in amateur radio.
Trust me on this point: You'll get all the recognition you deserve.
Standing in the midst of genderless midgets, he IS bound to get
attention! 8-)

Careful, JS, you are speaking to Mister DeeEcks, formerly from
the Government! [here to help? nah...]

He WAS DX!

Like that is the "only" function a US amateur "must" have...
"working DX on HF with CW." :-)

As you've been advised repeatedly, the only person making such a claim
is Leonard H. Anderson, now a neophyte in amateur radio.

Dave K8MN

Dave, like it or not, I think you've just admitted that Len is an
ARO. Take another chug of branch water and everything will be
allright!

[email protected] April 7th 07 02:56 AM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

On Mar 30, 8:29 am, "KH6HZ" wrote:
"AF6AY" wrote:
Wow, a collitch instructor stating a sentence that ends with:
...accumulate 230k+QSOs that others accumulted here have."

What exactly is a "collitch" instructor?

You might want to ask one. I suggest a Hawaiin CG lecturer who loans
his PO Box to miscreants.

Is it one of those secret jobs only
"professional" radio people know about?

Is it?

[email protected] April 7th 07 02:57 AM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

On Mar 30, 1:45 pm, "KH6HZ" wrote:
"AF6AY" wrote:
"Collitch" refers to the English skills (or lack thereof) of some
instructor that writes "...that others accumulated here have."

I'm not aware of any "Collitch" (or, College, for that matter) instructors
who post here, Gramps.

Who might they be?

Would you be a liar?

AF6AY April 7th 07 05:37 AM

From: John Smith I on Wed, 04 Apr 2007
06:17:11 -0700

Dave Heil snarled:

You aren't lopping off heads, Len. *You're a beginner in amateur radio.
Trust me on this point: *You'll get all the recognition you deserve.
Standing in the midst of genderless midgets, he IS bound to get
attention! *8-)

* *Careful, JS, you are speaking to Mister DeeEcks, formerly from
* *the Government! *[here to help? *nah...]

* *He WAS DX!

* *Like that is the "only" function a US amateur "must" have...
* *"working DX on HF with CW." *:-)

As you've been advised repeatedly, the only person making such a claim
is Leonard H. Anderson, now a neophyte in amateur radio.

Dave K8MN

Dave, like it or not, I think you've just admitted that *Len is an
ARO. *Take another chug of branch water and everything will be
allright!

Tsk, Brian, there ain't NO booze, branch water, or aqvavit to
make Davey say such a thing without the adjective of
"neophyte," "beginner" or whatever he needs to PUT DOWN
OTHERS he no like! :-)

73, Len AF6AY [Extra Out Of The Box!]

Dave Heil April 7th 07 06:25 AM

AF6AY wrote:

Tsk, Brian, there ain't NO booze, branch water, or aqvavit to
make Davey say such a thing without the adjective of
"neophyte," "beginner" or whatever he needs to PUT DOWN
OTHERS he no like! :-)

I'm sorry that you don't like it, Len, but you are a beginner or
neophyte in amateur radio. You're just getting started. You're just
getting your feet wet.

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it.

73, Len AF6AY [Extra Out Of The Box!]

...after a delay of seven long years. "Right out of the box"
never took place.

Dave K8MN

KH6HZ April 7th 07 10:51 AM

wrote:

"AF6AY" wrote:
"Collitch" refers to the English skills (or lack thereof) of some
instructor that writes "...that others accumulated here have."

I'm not aware of any "Collitch" (or, College, for that matter)
instructors
who post here, Gramps.

Who might they be?

Would you be a liar?

Nope. Unlike some other folks (like, say, someone who keeps claiming I had
12 club callsigns) my postings are always 100% factually correct.

KH6HZ April 7th 07 10:57 AM

wrote in message
What exactly is a "collitch" instructor?

You might want to ask one. I suggest a Hawaiin CG lecturer who loans
his PO Box to miscreants.

I do not know anyone in Hawaii who fits that bill. However, when I'm back in
Pataskala this July I can ask around and see if folk there know anyone in
the surrounding communities who does.

Not Dloyd April 7th 07 11:49 AM

"KH6HZ" wrote in message
wrote in message
What exactly is a "collitch" instructor?

You might want to ask one. I suggest a Hawaiin CG lecturer who loans
his PO Box to miscreants.

I do not know anyone in Hawaii who fits that bill. However, when I'm back

in
Pataskala this July I can ask around and see if folk there know anyone in
the surrounding communities who does.

Gee. Some folks refuse to let sleeping dogs alone. Perhaps they feel some
perverse sense of self gratification by dredging Old History into the front.

I wonder what would transpire should some of us expose the skeletons in
their closets?

The proverbial shoe would surely be less than comfy.

[email protected] April 7th 07 09:31 PM

What Revolution?

On Apr 3, 1:34�pm, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 29, 6:24?pm, Dave Heil wrote a typical
warm, wonderful "welcome" message of:

Well, Len, you're just reaping what you've sown.

KH6HZ wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:

You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. ?I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license...

It doesn't matter whether he's jealous or not, Mike. ?He can fill up his
years with getting on 75m and telling hams who have been in the game for
decades about his experiences at ADA in the 1950's.

* *Ah, but I DID have those experiences, proven by several
* *publicly-accessible references and documented
* *licenses. *:-)

Has anyone doubted that, Len?

* *Tsk, that seems to **** off some "club call" collectors
* *and civilian government service "careerists." * :-)

Is there something wrong with being in government service for a couple
of decades?

* *Does having been granted a Commercial radiotelephone
* *operator license 51 years ago NOT count? *

Count for what, Len?

What do you think it should count for, when the subject is amateur
radio?

Of course it
* *"doesn't count" sinc AMATEUR RADIO is the ONLY WAY
* *one can "get experience" according to the snipers and
* *general cat-callers.

Amateur radio is the only way to get *amateur radio* experience,
Len.

Do you think you know more about amateur radio than someone who has
been an active radio amateur for several decades?

-- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left...

I don't intend to keep reminding him of his remaining time on the
planet. Any of us could easily go before Len does. ?All it takes is a
traffic accident (Roger Wiseman's death wish for me: failing brakes,
sharp curves, twisting road) or a sudden illness. ?The fact is that I've
already enjoyed 43 years in amateur radio.

* *Practice safe and defensive driving, Sir Heil.

* *I've enjoyed 54 years in MANY different radio services...and
* *51 years of those NOT paid for directly the US government.

And a couple of weeks as a licensed radio amateur. That makes you an
amateur radio neophyte, Len. A beginner, novice, newcomer, wet-behind-
the-ears tyro.Not that there's anything wrong with that.

-- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

If he gets busy and hones his skills, he could get it done. ?I made over
that number in my nearly sixteen years overseas though it wasn't really
that long since I was typically in the U.S. for two to three months
between assignments and usually burned a month or so of leave in the
U.S. or elsewhere each year. ?I've submitted nearly 30,000 QSOs to LOTW
but I still have years of contest logs from the paper logging days which
have yet to be entered into the computer logging database. ?It'd be nice
to have a half million or so QSOs logged before departure time.

* *I don't recall that U.S. government regulations REQUIRE
* *all that CONTACT collection. *[looking through Title 47
* *again...] *Nope, NOTHING in the regulations about that...

Doesn't matter.

* *So, nearly a quarter million [transitory] CONTACTS via
* *amateur radio. *What does that prove? *

1) Experience
2) Operating skill
3) A certain level of activity.

I suspect that you are jealous of K8MN, Len.

The capability of
* *making lots of [transitory] contacts? *Yes, but doing so
* *many is little more than accumulating some self-logged
* *contacts that take a relatively long time to ascertain.

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

* *There are collectors who have amassed great quantities
* *of pennies, string, and other items.

Not the same thing at all.

If Len Anderson wants to pretend that he is part of some revolution, let
him play.

* *Tsk, tsk, I *AM* part of the revolution... *:-)

What "revolution", Len?

It's been about six weeks since the rules change, and
there hasn't been any tremendous increase in the number
of new hams nor a huge number of upgrades. Yes, there
have been more than in previous months but it's hardly
enough to be a "revolution".

He'll unbox his JA transceiver, hook it to a vertical antenna
and have all the fun he is capable of having.

* *Already done. *:-)

Let's see...you bought some manufactured equipment,
put together a basic station, and made a few contacts
using voice modes like SSB and FM. How "revolutionary"
is that?

Nothing wrong with it as long as you follow the rules and
good *amateur radio* practice, but it's hardly a
revolution.

* *Marie, I know you want to give cake to the peasants, but
* *don't lose your head in excoriating them...

Are you one of the peasants, Len? You act more
like you are one of the arrogant nobility.

Jim, N2EY

KH6HZ April 7th 07 10:10 PM

What Revolution?

wrote:

It's been about six weeks since the rules change, and
there hasn't been any tremendous increase in the number
of new hams nor a huge number of upgrades. Yes, there
have been more than in previous months but it's hardly
enough to be a "revolution".

March's final numbers are in.

Continuing with the trend in previous months, we saw a continued downward
trend in the total number of licensed amateurs. In fact, since Speroni has
been keeping statistics since 1997, the total number of licensed amateurs in
March 07 -- a month after the "no-code 'revolution'" -- is at a historic
low.

Also, for the first time since 1994, we saw an actual *decrease* in the
number of licensed Technican-class operators.

If these observations bear out into the future, all the "revolution" managed
to accomplish is give a bunch of no-code techs HF privileges, and did little
else to "bring new blood" into the hobby, like some people have claimed for
decades the code test was prohibiting.

73
kh6hz

[email protected] April 8th 07 12:06 AM

What Revolution?

On Apr 7, 5:10?pm, "KH6HZ" wrote:
wrote:
It's been about six weeks since the rules change, and
there hasn't been any tremendous increase in the number
of new hams nor a huge number of upgrades. Yes, there
have been more than in previous months but it's hardly
enough to be a "revolution".

March's final numbers are in.

Continuing with the trend in previous months, we saw a continued downward
trend in the total number of licensed amateurs. In fact, since Speroni has
been keeping statistics since 1997, the total number of licensed amateurs in
March 07 -- a month after the "no-code 'revolution'" -- is at a historic
low.

Here are some more numbers of current,
FCC issued amateur radio licenses held by
individuals:

As of February 22, 2007:

Novice - 22,896 (3.5%)
Technician - 293,508 (44.8%)
Technician Plus - 30,818 (4.7%)
General - 130,138 (19.9%)
Advanced - 69,050 (10.5%)
Extra - 108,270 (16.5%)

Total Tech/TechPlus - 324,326 (49.5%)

Total all classes - 654,680

As of April 6, 2007:

Novice - 22,396 (3.4%)
Technician - 288,621 (44.1%)
Technician Plus - 29,128 (4.4%)
General - 136,992 (20.9%)
Advanced - 68,408 (10.4%)
Extra - 109,591 (16.7%)

Total Tech/TechPlus - 317,749 (48.5%)

Total all classes - 655,136

That total-all-classes number wanders all over the place, btw. For
example, on April 1, 2007, it was
654,468.

Also, for the first time since 1994, we saw an actual *decrease* in the
number of licensed Technican-class operators.

Why should that be a surprise? A lot of Techs upgraded, and at least
some newcomers bypassed Tech altogether,

If these observations bear out into the future, all the "revolution" managed
to accomplish is give a bunch of no-code techs HF privileges, and did little
else to "bring new blood" into the hobby, like some people have claimed for
decades the code test was prohibiting.

That's a big *IF*. IMHO it's way too soon to tell. Six months or a
year is more like it, not a month or six weeks.

One thing that may happen is lots more new hams
as the word gets out. Another is that the word may
already be out, and the recent flurry of activity may
not last.

Time will tell.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Dee Flint April 8th 07 03:23 AM

What Revolution?

wrote in message
oups.com...

[snip]

One thing that may happen is lots more new hams
as the word gets out. Another is that the word may
already be out, and the recent flurry of activity may
not last.

Time will tell.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Trouble is unless people already know about amateur radio, they had no idea
what the requirements were and that they have recently changed. Changing
requirements does nothing to let people know that amateur radio exists and
why they might be interested.

Dee, N8UZE

[email protected] April 8th 07 04:32 PM

On Apr 7, 2:25 am, Dave Heil wrote:
AF6AY wrote:
Tsk, Brian, there ain't NO booze, branch water, or aqvavit to
make Davey say such a thing without the adjective of
"neophyte," "beginner" or whatever he needs to PUT DOWN
OTHERS he no like! :-)

I'm sorry that you don't like it, Len, but you are a beginner or
neophyte in amateur radio. You're just getting started. You're just
getting your feet wet.

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it.

73, Len AF6AY [Extra Out Of The Box!]

...after a delay of seven long years. "Right out of the box"
never took place.

Dave K8MN

That's a fine way for the future director of the Roanoke Division to
welcome a fellow amateur into the service. You're just the kind of
amateur we need in the leadership.

[email protected] April 8th 07 04:47 PM

What Revolution?

On Apr 7, 5:31 pm, wrote:
On Apr 3, 1:34?pm, "AF6AY" wrote:

On Mar 29, 6:24?pm, Dave Heil wrote a typical
warm, wonderful "welcome" message of:

Well, Len, you're just reaping what you've sown.

Jim, when life appears to be treating you unfairly, it isn't. You just
reap what you sow.

KH6HZ wrote:
"Dave Heil" wrote:

You're being disingenuous again, Leonard. ?I've stated that you are a
newcomer to *amateur* radio. Each time I've done so, you've tried to make
it appear that I've used the generic term "radio".

I think Grandpa Lennie is simply jealous of the fact that due to his waiting
54 years to get an amateur radio license...

It doesn't matter whether he's jealous or not, Mike. ?He can fill up his
years with getting on 75m and telling hams who have been in the game for
decades about his experiences at ADA in the 1950's.

? ?Ah, but I DID have those experiences, proven by several
? ?publicly-accessible references and documented
? ?licenses. ?:-)

Has anyone doubted that, Len?

Is that an admission that you believe it?

? ?Tsk, that seems to **** off some "club call" collectors
? ?and civilian government service "careerists." ? :-)

Is there something wrong with being in government service for a couple
of decades?

As long as it doesn't lead to a case of pompousness, as with Heil.

? ?Does having been granted a Commercial radiotelephone
? ?operator license 51 years ago NOT count? ?

Count for what, Len?

What do you think it should count for, when the subject is amateur
radio?

Welp, according to Heil, he was able to bypass military comms training
as he held an amateur license. He was DDA.

Of course it
? ?"doesn't count" sinc AMATEUR RADIO is the ONLY WAY
? ?one can "get experience" according to the snipers and
? ?general cat-callers.

Amateur radio is the only way to get *amateur radio* experience,
Len.

You've got plenty of that, Jim. Probably more than a 4 year old
Extra.

Do you think you know more about amateur radio than someone who has
been an active radio amateur for several decades?

What's to know? Please start a list.

-- and the fact that the actuarial
tables state he probably doesn't have 15 years left...

I don't intend to keep reminding him of his remaining time on the
planet. Any of us could easily go before Len does. ?All it takes is a
traffic accident (Roger Wiseman's death wish for me: failing brakes,
sharp curves, twisting road) or a sudden illness. ?The fact is that I've
already enjoyed 43 years in amateur radio.

? ?Practice safe and defensive driving, Sir Heil.

? ?I've enjoyed 54 years in MANY different radio services...and
? ?51 years of those NOT paid for directly the US government.

And a couple of weeks as a licensed radio amateur. That makes you an
amateur radio neophyte, Len. A beginner, novice, newcomer, wet-behind-
the-ears tyro.Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Right. Are you running for ARRL office as well? Sure sounds like it.

-- he will be unable to
accumulate 230k+ QSOs that others accumulated here have.

If he gets busy and hones his skills, he could get it done. ?I made over
that number in my nearly sixteen years overseas though it wasn't really
that long since I was typically in the U.S. for two to three months
between assignments and usually burned a month or so of leave in the
U.S. or elsewhere each year. ?I've submitted nearly 30,000 QSOs to LOTW
but I still have years of contest logs from the paper logging days which
have yet to be entered into the computer logging database. ?It'd be nice
to have a half million or so QSOs logged before departure time.

? ?I don't recall that U.S. government regulations REQUIRE
? ?all that CONTACT collection. ?[looking through Title 47
? ?again...] ?Nope, NOTHING in the regulations about that...

Doesn't matter.

Neither does half a million 13 second QSO's.

? ?So, nearly a quarter million [transitory] CONTACTS via
? ?amateur radio. ?What does that prove? ?

1) Experience
2) Operating skill
3) A certain level of activity.

I suspect that you are jealous of K8MN, Len.

He's merely annoying. He knows everything - just ask him.

The capability of
? ?making lots of [transitory] contacts? ?Yes, but doing so
? ?many is little more than accumulating some self-logged
? ?contacts that take a relatively long time to ascertain.

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

? ?There are collectors who have amassed great quantities
? ?of pennies, string, and other items.

Not the same thing at all.

Beer can tabs, navel lint, etc.

If Len Anderson wants to pretend that he is part of some revolution, let
him play.

? ?Tsk, tsk, I *AM* part of the revolution... ?:-)

What "revolution", Len?

It's been about six weeks since the rules change, and
there hasn't been any tremendous increase in the number
of new hams nor a huge number of upgrades. Yes, there
have been more than in previous months but it's hardly
enough to be a "revolution".

Must the revolution be in numbers? This revolution is in the
regulations.

He'll unbox his JA transceiver, hook it to a vertical antenna
and have all the fun he is capable of having.

? ?Already done. ?:-)

Let's see...you bought some manufactured equipment,
put together a basic station, and made a few contacts
using voice modes like SSB and FM. How "revolutionary"
is that?

He did it on HF without a single morse code exam.

Nothing wrong with it as long as you follow the rules and
good *amateur radio* practice, but it's hardly a
revolution.

Hmmmm? "Good Amateur Practice." Some of your Cronies have a hard
time with that one.

? ?Marie, I know you want to give cake to the peasants, but
? ?don't lose your head in excoriating them...

Are you one of the peasants, Len? You act more
like you are one of the arrogant nobility.

Len, nobility? He's merely your peer... your equal.

Jim, N2EY- Hide quoted text -

AF6AY April 8th 07 09:40 PM

What Revolution?

From: on 8 Apr 2007 08:47:20 -0700

Subject: What Revolution?

On Apr 7, 5:31 pm, wrote:
On Apr 3, 1:34?pm, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 29, 6:24?pm, Dave Heil wrote a typical
warm, wonderful "welcome" message of:

Well, Len, you're just reaping what you've sown.

Jim, when life appears to be treating you unfairly, it isn't. You just
reap what you sow.

Hmmm...despite the slightly-hidden pun in there ("sow" & ham),
I put them down as "tailors" busy, busy manufacturing things
out of whole cloth. It is (to me) more like "they rape what
they have sewn."

? ?Ah, but I DID have those experiences, proven by several
? ?publicly-accessible references and documented
? ?licenses. ?:-)

Has anyone doubted that, Len?

[yes, a few have, notably Heil who once said "you never did
that in your life!"]

Is that an admission that you believe it?

Tsk, Brian, IF and only IF he does, it will truly be His
Resurrection!

? ?Tsk, that seems to **** off some "club call" collectors
? ?and civilian government service "careerists." ? :-)

Is there something wrong with being in government service for a couple
of decades?

As long as it doesn't lead to a case of pompousness, as with Heil.

Heil's assignments were given by him as 1985 to 2000, a term
of 15 years, NOT "a couple of decades."

Hello? Can anyone see FACTUAL ERROR on Jimmie's part?

Does having been granted a Commercial radiotelephone
operator license 51 years ago NOT count?

Count for what, Len?

What do you think it should count for, when the subject is amateur
radio?

Welp, according to Heil, he was able to bypass military comms training
as he held an amateur license. He was DDA.

Is that the same as "DOA?" [Heil is dead in the water most
of the time with his attitude...]

Amateur radio is the only way to get *amateur radio* experience,
Len.

You've got plenty of that, Jim. Probably more than a 4 year old
Extra.

Right...according to these amateur professionals, AMATEUR
radio does NOT work the same as all other radio. It is
"different" and can never be compared to other radio. It's
experience is totally different. Uh huh...

Do you think you know more about amateur radio than someone who has
been an active radio amateur for several decades?

What's to know? Please start a list.

Jimmie should WRITE A BOOK, maybe a whole set of volumes
on his life and times in amateur radio, pioneering the
airwaves of the 1980s with his morse code modes. Here's
a suggested working title "200 Meters and Sideways."

If the ARRL doesn't resell it, he can work it up as a
promo of a recent motion picture...or get on a Jay Leno
show in another morse v. cell-phone-text contest.

And a couple of weeks as a licensed radio amateur. That makes you an
amateur radio neophyte, Len. A beginner, novice, newcomer, wet-behind-
the-ears tyro.Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Right. Are you running for ARRL office as well? Sure sounds like it.

Sigh. Another east coastie, warm and welcoming...but
demanding that I bow down in "respect" to their mighty
macho morsemanship and "years of national service" by
twiddling their paddles and beeping in the cause of
"homeland security."

Jimmie still thinks that amateur radio works "differently"
than all other radio. Perhaps he thinks that way out of
ignorance in NOT being acquainted with all other radio or
even just parts of all other radio? Maybe he was taught
that in his school (that still thinks it was "first" to
"invent" the "first electronic computer")?

I don't recall that U.S. government regulations REQUIRE
all that CONTACT collection. [looking through Title 47
again...] Nope, NOTHING in the regulations about that...

Doesn't matter.

Neither does half a million 13 second QSO's.

Yes it DOES matter, Brian. By all that "different" amateur
radio, those short QSOs result in life-long friendships
and mutual love between morsemen.

So, nearly a quarter million [transitory] CONTACTS via
amateur radio. What does that prove?

? ?1) Experience?
? ?2) Operating skill?
? ?3) A certain level of activity.?

? ?I suspect that you are jealous of K8MN, Len.?

He's merely annoying. He knows everything - just ask him.

Jimmie is merely annoying with his little "game" of adding
in question marks that were never written originally. I
just did the same thing to him. Pointless exercise. Done
to point out how petty and narrow-minded he is in his spite.

The capability of
making lots of [transitory] contacts? ?Yes, but doing so
many is little more than accumulating some self-logged
contacts that take a relatively long time to ascertain.

? ?I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.?

There are collectors who have amassed great quantities
of pennies, string, and other items.

? ?Not the same thing at all.?

Beer can tabs, navel lint, etc.

QSL cards over a whole wall...another wall filled with
certificates of great (amateur) accomplishments...yet
another wall filled with photographs (posed photo-ops)
of him with other ham notables...fourth wall stacked
with old, yellowing copies of QST going back longer than
he has lived. Marker lines on the floor so that "friends
and neighbors" know where to stand when "admiring his
accomplishments."

? ?If Len Anderson wants to pretend that he is part of some revolution, let
? ?him play.

Tsk, tsk, I *AM* part of the revolution... :-)

? ?What "revolution", Len?
? ?It's been about six weeks since the rules change, and?
? ?there hasn't been any tremendous increase in the number?
? ?of new hams nor a huge number of upgrades. Yes, there?
? ?have been more than in previous months but it's hardly?
? ?enough to be a "revolution".?

Must the revolution be in numbers? This revolution is in the
regulations.

Brian, it hasn't sunk into his morsemen's mind yet.

Morsemen's minds are too cluttered with beeps to get
the picture of more complex subjects...at least until
a Dave Sumner "editorial" explains it all to them in
QST.

? ?Let's see...you bought some manufactured equipment,?
? ?put together a basic station, and made a few contacts?
? ?using voice modes like SSB and FM. How "revolutionary"?
? ?is that??

He did it on HF without a single morse code exam.

On VHF first (the discone was up first), then on HF. :-)

What ****es Jimmie off is that I took and passed ALL
the test elements at one exam session...without asking
for His Permission, too!

"Extra out of the box!" Heil says I "didn't do it,"
yet I did. Sunnuvagun!

? ?Nothing wrong with it as long as you follow the rules and?
? ?good *amateur radio* practice, but it's hardly a?
? ?revolution.?

Hmmmm? "Good Amateur Practice." Some of your Cronies have a hard
time with that one.

His Cronies only know morsemanship. To them, morsemanship
is the ONLY "good amateur practice." Ptui.

Marie, I know you want to give cake to the peasants, but
don't lose your head in excoriating them...

? ?Are you one of the peasants, Len? ? ?You act more?
? ?like you are one of the arrogant nobility.?

Len, nobility? He's merely your peer... your equal.

ONLY in amateur radio, Brian...as far as all the privileges,
rank, status, etc., which must REALLY **** him off! :-)

Brian, like you, I've voluntarily served the US military;
Jimmie never did that. I've worked in radio-electronics
full-time since 1952; we don't know where Jimmie is
supposed to work or what it is he really does for a living.
You have a good family and children and I have a good wife
who was my high school sweetheart; we don't know anything
about Jimmie's personal life except that he has a younger
brother "into radio." Is Jimmie Greater or Lesser than
any of us? We don't know enough about Him to compare.

Jimmie PRETENDS to be a "Somebody." Like an "amateur radio
historian," pretending to be the olde-tymer, all the while
cribbing from OTHER sources of ham radio history. Jimmie
PRETENDS to be a real estate "expert" yet he has never dealt
up-close-and-personal with any real estate matters in my
city or neighborhood...yet he wants to imply He knows more
and is therefore the 'superior being' on that. Jimmie
PRETENDS to be a statistical archivist with his amateur radio
numbers posting...yet those numbers are the SAME as what the
ARRL posts plus his own commentary (7 years old) about the
"difference between Techs and Tech Plusses."

I don't PRETEND anything. I have opinions and am not scared
to voice them. My work experience AND radio licensing is
public record if anyone cares to look for it...and I DO have
documented evidence to prove that (unlike The Robesin).
But, some of the olde-tyme morsemen want to PUT DOWN those
that don't share their lofty, god-given opinions. They
don't take kindly to such folk and manage to pollute this
newsgroup with their "I am better than you" bragging. I
didn't decide to get into amateur radio on Their terms and
wouldn't want to personally associate with such narrow-
minded, arrogant persons. Amateur radio is, to me, much
more than morsemanship and something to enjoy by itself,
not a vehicle for morsepersons to engage in self-
aggrandizement.

73s, Len AF6AY

AF6AY April 8th 07 09:43 PM

The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

From: on 8 Apr 2007 08:32:35 -0700

Subject: The First Month of the Revolution in USA Amateur Radio

AF6AY wrote:
Tsk, Brian, there ain't NO booze, branch water, or aqvavit to
make Davey say such a thing without the adjective of
"neophyte," "beginner" or whatever he needs to PUT DOWN
OTHERS he no like! :-)

I'm sorry that you don't like it, Len, but you are a beginner or
neophyte in amateur radio. You're just getting started. You're just
getting your feet wet.

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it.

73, Len AF6AY [Extra Out Of The Box!]

...after a delay of seven long years. "Right out of the box" never took place.

FACTUAL ERROR by Heil!

"Extra Out Of The Box" is a colloquial phrase referring to
one who takes ALL test elements at one test session and
passes all of them. That is what I did on 25 Feb 07.

Four VE examiners in that session, all Amateur Extras who
cross-checked each other's scoring for accuracy. An ARRL
VEC exam team, their work was checked in Newington and
approved...then sent to the FCC who approved my application
and granted my Amateur Extra class license on 7 Mar 07.

Judge "Roy Bean" Heil doesn't like that. My license was
granted without HIS approval. Tsk, tsk. He should take
that to a higher court and DEMAND a retrial (until I am
proven "guilty")? Sure seems like it.

That's a fine way for the future director of the Roanoke Division to
welcome a fellow amateur into the service. You're just the kind of
amateur we need in the leadership.

Maybe the Roanoke Division is like that. I don't know. NOT
my territory. If that is the kind of "welcome" a new US
radio amateur gets there, it is a wonder they have ANY new
amateurs in that Division.

I care less of what another "Division" does. I am a resident
of California, the most populous of the USA and also with the
most US amateur radio licensees. I've not gotten Heil's
"treatment" of newcomers out here, but rather the opposite.
I enjoy that in-person and on the air. I'm not ready to visit
the land of the east coasties with their aloof, I-am-your-
superior-and-rule-over-you attitude. :-(

Fuggem say I.

73, Len AF6AY

AF6AY April 8th 07 09:45 PM

What Revolution?

From: "Dee Flint" on Sat, 7 Apr 2007 22:23:24
-0400

wrote in message

One thing that may happen is lots more new hams
as the word gets out. Another is that the word may
already be out, and the recent flurry of activity may
not last.

Time will tell.

Trouble is unless people already know about amateur radio, they had no idea
what the requirements were and that they have recently changed. Changing
requirements does nothing to let people know that amateur radio exists and
why they might be interested.

Excellent point, Dee!

Those whose entire life experience seems tied up in amateur
radio have, generally, lost the ability to look at it from
the outside. From them there is NO sign that they are
encouraging "civilians" to "enter their service." Or, rather,
"THEIR service" since they ARE tied up in it and are very
possessive about Their idea of What It Should Be.

The ARRL can do only so much. It is for their membership
of those Already In amateur radio. In my opinion, the
League has yet to do much and is too wrapped up in getting
high-fives for a job (not) well-done from those IN amateur
radio.

For a boost to the "civilians" (who might know something
about "radio"), there's a better chance of getting promotion
aimed at "civilians" through newsstand magazines. One example
is Popular Communications...sometimes derided by the IN crowd
in amateur radio because it is not solely concerned with ham
radio. [CB users might out-number hams by 5:1 to even 7:1,
hard to tell since CB isn't licensed] [neither are SWLs]

Hams beating their own drums IN amateur radio isn't doing a
thing for getting "civilians" interested. Those hams are
too insular, too wrapped up in themselves, to see their
negative effect on the hobby. But...they can't be told that
because their own egos cloud their mental visibility. :-)

73, Len AF6AY

Dave Heil April 9th 07 05:21 AM

What Revolution?

From: on 8 Apr 2007 08:47:20 -0700

On Apr 7, 5:31 pm, wrote:
On Apr 3, 1:34?pm, "AF6AY" wrote:
On Mar 29, 6:24?pm, Dave Heil wrote:

? ?Ah, but I DID have those experiences, proven by several
? ?publicly-accessible references and documented
? ?licenses. ?:-)

Has anyone doubted that, Len?

[yes, a few have, notably Heil who once said "you never did
that in your life!"]

Your statement is a falsehood, "Anderson". Your quote of me is
manufactured by you.

Is that an admission that you believe it?

Tsk, Brian, IF and only IF he does, it will truly be His
Resurrection!

Are you doing Eastertide funnies, Leonard?

And a couple of weeks as a licensed radio amateur. That makes you an
amateur radio neophyte, Len. A beginner, novice, newcomer, wet-behind-
the-ears tyro.Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Right. Are you running for ARRL office as well? Sure sounds like it.

Sigh. Another east coastie, warm and welcoming...but
demanding that I bow down in "respect" to their mighty
macho morsemanship and "years of national service" by
twiddling their paddles and beeping in the cause of
"homeland security."

I must have missed the demand that you bow down in respect or anything
else, Len. Where was that part. It is a fact that you're a brand new
amateur radio licensee.

What ****es Jimmie off is that I took and passed ALL
the test elements at one exam session...without asking
for His Permission, too!

I've seen no evidence that your claim is true. He's probably just noted
that you acted like a horse's patoot before you obtained an amateur
radio license and that you've carried that behavior into amateur radio.

"Extra out of the box!" Heil says I "didn't do it,"
yet I did. Sunnuvagun!

You can't have, Len. You announced it over seven years back and waited
for the regs to change before you took any amateur radio licensing
exams. That's not "right out" of anything. If someone tells me, "I'll
be right out", no one expects that to mean, "I'll be there in seven years."

Marie, I know you want to give cake to the peasants, but
don't lose your head in excoriating them...

? ?Are you one of the peasants, Len? You act more?
? ?like you are one of the arrogant nobility.?

Len, nobility? He's merely your peer... your equal.

ONLY in amateur radio, Brian...as far as all the privileges,
rank, status, etc., which must REALLY **** him off! :-)

You haven't had enough time in amateur radio to be equal to anyone but
another neophyte, Len.

Brian, like you, I've voluntarily served the US military;
Jimmie never did that.

....to your knowledge.

I've worked in radio-electronics
full-time since 1952; we don't know where Jimmie is
supposed to work or what it is he really does for a living.

It is apparent that not knowing bugs the hell out of you.

You have a good family and children and I have a good wife
who was my high school sweetheart; we don't know anything
about Jimmie's personal life except that he has a younger
brother "into radio."

It is also apparent that your lack of information on Jim's personal life
also bugs the hell out of you.

Is Jimmie Greater or Lesser than
any of us? We don't know enough about Him to compare.

It can be demonstrated that Jim has over 40 times as much experience in
amateur radio than you, Leonard. Chew on that for a while.

Jimmie PRETENDS to be a "Somebody."

I've never seen evidence that he is pretending anything, Len.

Like an "amateur radio
historian,"...

Jim seems very well versed in the history of amateur radio. He has been
able to point to a number of errors you've made in things which have
taken place in amateur radio. I've never seen a post where he refers to
himself as an "amateur radio historian".

...pretending to be the olde-tymer...

He's been a radio amateur for better than forty years. Here on Earth,
anyone who has done anything for forty years can be considered an old timer.

...all the while
cribbing from OTHER sources of ham radio history.

You've done some cribbing of your own, Leonard--and all about something
in which you were not a partcipant.

Jimmie
PRETENDS to be a real estate "expert" yet he has never dealt
up-close-and-personal with any real estate matters in my
city or neighborhood...yet he wants to imply He knows more
and is therefore the 'superior being' on that.

Jim's analogy of real estate zoning changes in your local area to your
attempts as an outsider to effect change in amateur radio licensing (all
the while insisting that it was not for your personal benefit) was an
apt one. You didn't like that one single bit.

Jimmie
PRETENDS to be a statistical archivist with his amateur radio
numbers posting...yet those numbers are the SAME as what the
ARRL posts plus his own commentary (7 years old) about the
"difference between Techs and Tech Plusses."

You say that Jim pretends, yet he has posted the data on a regular
basis. I can find no errors in the material he has submitted. You've
posted some numbers on an irregular basis. Were you PRETENDING to be a
statistical archivist?

I don't PRETEND anything.

Don't sell yourself short, "Lennie."

I have opinions and am not scared
to voice them.

It isn't about fear, Len. It should be about exercising restraint and
using civility. You just plain honk people off.

My work experience AND radio licensing is
public record if anyone cares to look for it...

....or if anyone cares.

...and I DO have
documented evidence to prove that (unlike The Robesin).

There is no one named "Robesin" who has posted here. If you mean Steve
Robeson, he hasn't submitted proof of his military service to you.
That's not the same as it not haven taken place. I've advised you
several times that there is a free site on which his Marine Corps
service is confirmed, this despite your statement that no such site
exists. Have you found it yet.

I have plenty of proof of my military service, but I'm not going to
submit it to you. You've squawked about that and you've insulted me
over my Vietnam service a number of times, that despite your claims that
you've never denigrated the military service of a fellow veteran.
You bleat something and proceed to exhibit behavior which is at odds
with your statements.

But, some of the olde-tyme morsemen want to PUT DOWN those
that don't share their lofty, god-given opinions.

I'm an old timer. I do not use Morse Code exclusively. I'm an amateur
radio operator. I PUT you DOWN because you continue to act like a
horse's ass.

They
don't take kindly to such folk and manage to pollute this
newsgroup with their "I am better than you" bragging.

No one here has done more "I am better than you" bragging, than Leonard
H. Anderson, a man who, up until a few weeks back, was not an amateur
radio op. There are bigger newsgroup polluters, but none can match your
word output.

didn't decide to get into amateur radio on Their terms and
wouldn't want to personally associate with such narrow-
minded, arrogant persons.

You really showed everyone. You put off entry into amateur radio for
decades (in terms of your declared interest) and by eleven years (in
terms of r.r.a.p. participation).

Amateur radio is, to me, much
more than morsemanship...

It'd have to be. You can't handle the use of Morse.

...and something to enjoy by itself...

So who is stopping you from enjoying it. Are you enjoying amateur radio?

...not a vehicle for morsepersons to engage in self-
aggrandizement.

No one here has done more self-promotion than Leonard H. Anderson.

73s, Len AF6AY

The term is "73", Len.

Dave K8MN

Dave Heil April 9th 07 05:39 AM

From: on 8 Apr 2007 08:32:35 -0700

AF6AY wrote:
Tsk, Brian, there ain't NO booze, branch water, or aqvavit to
make Davey say such a thing without the adjective of
"neophyte," "beginner" or whatever he needs to PUT DOWN
OTHERS he no like! :-)
I'm sorry that you don't like it, Len, but you are a beginner or
neophyte in amateur radio. You're just getting started. You're just
getting your feet wet.
Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it.
73, Len AF6AY [Extra Out Of The Box!]
...after a delay of seven long years. "Right out of the box" never took place.

FACTUAL ERROR by Heil!

"Extra Out Of The Box" is a colloquial phrase referring to
one who takes ALL test elements at one test session and
passes all of them. That is what I did on 25 Feb 07.

Please look at my direct quote of your words:

"Extra right out of the box". Please note the word "right" which
appears before the words "out of the box." If you hadn't written that
particular word, you might be able to make a case. The word "right"
exists however. Now you have a problem. Your quote comes from over
seven years in the past. Your passing of amateur radio exams was on
February 25th of this years. That's nor "right out" of anything.

Judge "Roy Bean" Heil doesn't like that.

I don't like your playing fast and loose with fact, Foghorn.

That's a fine way for the future director of the Roanoke Division to
welcome a fellow amateur into the service. You're just the kind of
amateur we need in the leadership.

Maybe the Roanoke Division is like that.

Do you know what geographical areas make up the Roanoke Division, Len?
As a new licensee and a new League member, you've probably not had much
time to learn about the various ARRL Divisions.

I don't know.

I have little trouble believing that.

NOT
my territory.

So you've apparently learned that you do not live in the Roanoke Division.

If that is the kind of "welcome" a new US
radio amateur gets there, it is a wonder they have ANY new
amateurs in that Division.

I think you'd find that folks who are warm and friendly receive a warm
and friendly welcome. Those who are not warm and friendly might not
receive a warm and friendly welcome. You may find that to be true in
your Division.

I care less of what another "Division" does.

I see a problem with your attitude, Len. You don't want to get off on
the wrong foot.

I am a resident
of California, the most populous of the USA and also with the
most US amateur radio licensees.

Okay, you know what state you're in. Do you know your ARRL Division
yet? Have you found out in which Section you reside?

I've not gotten Heil's
"treatment" of newcomers out here, but rather the opposite.

Give 'em time to get to know you, Len. They're probably just being polite.

I enjoy that in-person and on the air.

That's nice.

I'm not ready to visit
the land of the east coasties with their aloof, I-am-your-
superior-and-rule-over-you attitude. :-(

West Virginia has no coastline, Len. It is not a northern state. Some
try to call it a mid-Atlantic state, but it isn't on the Atlantic. Most
of the northern panhandle is northern in attitude. The bulk of the
state is southern in attitude and by inclination. West Virginia is the
northernmost state in the Roanoke Division of the ARRL.

If you ever come for a visit, I'll keep mum on your r.r.a.p. attitudes.
When you open your mouth and start talking, you're on your own. Keep
that massive wedgie I told you about in the back of your mind.

Fuggem say I.

....but not to their faces.

Dave K8MN