Old November 24th 03, 02:33 PM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Well since you brought up the auto manufacturers..... Obviously there are
some cases where we have no choice in the matter. But in my own personal
case, I will NEVER buy a new car from the auto manufacturers.... I will
however buy one at least one year old, and from a private party, not a
dealership.

There are other obvious cases as well where conceding in this issue is
almost unavoidable. Obviously if your situation requires you to have an
automobile, then purchasing fuel would be an at least occaisional
requirement. Still in those cases, I choose to support the locally owned
franchisee's as opposed to truly corporate owned gas stations.

--
Ryan KC8PMX

"Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that
person to use The Internet and they won't bother you for weeks."

"KØHB" wrote in message
link.net...
"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote

Screw Corporate Amerika! (before they screw you)

EXACTLY!!!!!! You've got it all figured out for sure!

Who the hell do General Motors and Ford and Mercedes think they are
anyhow --- we used to have hundreds of different auto manufacturers?

Let's
open a blacksmith shop in our village and build our own cars, like our
grandfathers did! And, yeah, quit buying computers from Dell and
Gateway --- we have sand in our neighborhood --- we can make our own

silicon
chips just as well as Intel does! Dole pineapples --- who needs them
anyhow, I bet we can grow perfectly good pineapples here in Minnesota.

Who
needs all this corporate crap anyhow?

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old November 24th 03, 07:29 PM
KØHB

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote

"Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that
person to use The Internet and they won't bother you for weeks."

"Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that
person to fish, and they'll sit out on the lake all day drinking
beer."

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old November 24th 03, 07:36 PM
Mike Coslo

Ryan, KC8PMX wrote:
Don't forget succumbing to the credit card problem. It's soooo easy to
live life large when you have 10 credit cards with a 20 thousand liimit
on each card.

One card with a 500 dollar limit here.... used for emergencies and the
occaisional on-line purchase.

I confess I have several, but one is a card which gives a discount on
gasoline - but ya have to pay it off!!! - and some others, but they get
paid off pronto.

I'll bet that P****s the companies off!

One of those nifty little life secrets I've found out is that if you
are willing to avoid spending credit money like a drunken sailor while
you are young, you will have much more money for your toys when you get
older.

Bingo.... keep money going into savings and then take the funds out when you
need to purchase, but that is an idealism that most cannot grasp.

A pity, that.

--
Ryan KC8PMX

"Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."

hehe, good one, Ryan!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old November 24th 03, 11:18 PM
N2EY

"KØHB" wrote in message hlink.net...
"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote

"Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that
person to use The Internet and they won't bother you for weeks."

"Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that
person to fish, and they'll sit out on the lake all day drinking
beer."

What's the downside?

I don't see any.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old November 25th 03, 07:05 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Ryan, KC8PMX wrote:
Don't forget succumbing to the credit card problem. It's soooo easy to
live life large when you have 10 credit cards with a 20 thousand liimit
on each card.

One card with a 500 dollar limit here.... used for emergencies and the
occaisional on-line purchase.

I confess I have several, but one is a card which gives a discount on
gasoline - but ya have to pay it off!!! - and some others, but they get
paid off pronto.

I'll bet that P****s the companies off!

I just feel that the credit cards "trap" a person..... not only with dealing
with paying the damned things off but as a way of thinking when purchasing.
"Gee, I don't have enough money in my wallet, but wait! I have my credit
cards!!"
Thats why I have the one card... with a lower limit.

One of those nifty little life secrets I've found out is that if you
are willing to avoid spending credit money like a drunken sailor while
you are young, you will have much more money for your toys when you get
older.

Bingo.... keep money going into savings and then take the funds out when

you
need to purchase, but that is an idealism that most cannot grasp.

A pity, that.

True, that.!

--
Ryan KC8PMX

"Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."

hehe, good one, Ryan!

Yeah, I like a good tagline and always looking for more! My favorite one is
below.

--
Ryan KC8PMX

"Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

Old November 25th 03, 07:06 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

Isn't the fishing the main excuse for drinking beer anyways?? Fishing is
something I used to do while drinking! LOL

--
Ryan KC8PMX

"Never take too life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."

"KØHB" wrote in message
news
"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote

Old November 26th 03, 05:08 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Ryan, KC8PMX" wrote:
Isn't the fishing the main excuse for drinking
beer anyways?? Fishing is something I used
to do while drinking! LOL

It's a proven fact that beer actually improves fishing - the fish caught,
and the ones that got away, are a _LOT_ bigger while one is drinking. If you
don't believe me, just ask any fisherman. ;-)

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old November 26th 03, 09:27 PM
Bill Sohl

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
t...
"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...
"N2EY" wrote

Would you want to go back to the kinds of cars we had back then?

In a heartbeat!!!!! Most wonderful car I ever owned is a 1962 Chev
Corvair Corsa convertible.

Woo-hoo, lemme have a 1969 Super-Bee! Alas, all I had was a 1973 Dart with

318. I would've loved to have a 340 Dart with the bumble bee stripe.

sigh

One other car that is probably my all time favorite is the 1973 European
Ford Capri. Not terribly fast, but wonderfully quick and pretty agile too.

had the 2000cc 4 cyl. model but I'd love to drop a modern Ford 3.8l V6 in
one, if I could find one in acceptable cond'n.

Personally, as much as I like "certain" older cars (I have several
antiques),
the reality is that today's vehicles are pretty incredible. Better gas
mileage,
far better handling and they do last much longer in terms of total
mileage and/or years of age. My first new car, a 1964 Chevy Impala
convertible with 283 V8 generally got 18mpg. My 2003 Chevy Silverado,
4x4, Extended cab with a 327 V8 gets about 16-17 on average.

The more recent new cars I've owned have all made it well beyond the
150K miles before being sold or junked. Several went 200K+.
The new cars can run at 75mph all day and not falter in the
heat of summer or cold of winter.

Yes, I love the car club and occasional jaunt alone in my '61 Triumph TR-3,
but
it is the time warp element that makes it the fun event...plus the always
positive comments from bystanders at stopping point...that driving the
TR-3 is. For my day-to-day commute, however, I stick to my new
truck.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. If you like it, drive it.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old November 26th 03, 09:46 PM
KØHB

"Bill Sohl" wrote

My 2003 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, Extended cab with a 327 V8 gets about 16-17

on average.

Your engine is too small.

My 2003 Silverado 2500HD turbo-charged 32-valve 6.6L V8 gets around 21-22
MPG on the highway, and 18MPG around town.

But my 1962 Corvair turbo-charged 12-valve H-6 got only around 13 MPG, but
it was a LOT more fun to drive, and the chicks dug it!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old November 26th 03, 09:53 PM
Bill Sohl

"KØHB" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Bill Sohl" wrote

My 2003 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, Extended cab with a 327 V8 gets about

16-17
on average.

Your engine is too small.

It has no problem towing a 5000 pound travel trailer around the northeast...
including the appalachians of PA.

My 2003 Silverado 2500HD turbo-charged 32-valve 6.6L V8 gets around 21-22
MPG on the highway, and 18MPG around town.

But my 1962 Corvair turbo-charged 12-valve H-6 got only around 13 MPG, but
it was a LOT more fun to drive, and the chicks dug it!

Like I originally said....for my daily commute, I'll take the truck.
Give me a nice two lane country road meandering about the hillsides
and I'll take the TR-3 (if it is a nice sunny and dry day). Rain and
the TR (or almost any vintage British sports car) are natural
opposites. :-) :-)

Cheers
Bill K2UNK