Old October 31st 03, 03:02 PM
Dwight Stewart

"N2EY" wrote:

OK fine. You wanna do migrant farm labor?

If I could still physically do it, I'd be thrilled to do so, Jim. My
grandmother owned a huge farm in North Carolina and I truly enjoyed going
there every summer during my teenage years to work. I worked side-by-side
with the hired laborers and did every single job they did. However, because
of the low wages for most of those jobs today, I certainly wouldn't do some
those jobs today (even if I could physically do so). However, a few farmers
in the area still pay well and they have no problems finding labor. If I
could do it, I wouldn't mind doing one of those jobs one summer just for the
fun of it.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old October 31st 03, 05:01 PM
Mike Coslo

Dwight Stewart wrote:
"N2EY" wrote:

OK fine. You wanna do migrant farm labor?

If I could still physically do it, I'd be thrilled to do so, Jim. My
grandmother owned a huge farm in North Carolina and I truly enjoyed going
there every summer during my teenage years to work. I worked side-by-side
with the hired laborers and did every single job they did. However, because
of the low wages for most of those jobs today, I certainly wouldn't do some
those jobs today (even if I could physically do so). However, a few farmers
in the area still pay well and they have no problems finding labor. If I
could do it, I wouldn't mind doing one of those jobs one summer just for the
fun of it.

Here lies the rub, Dwight! Although I disagree with a lot of your views
on race, you are spot on on this thread sub-subject.

The reason that this is "undesirable" work is simply because the
producers are allowed to get away with paying such low wages. If they
don't even pay minimum, how is a citizen even supposed to legally hold
the job?

Heck, even Wal Mart is doing it now. They've been caught using illegal
immigrant labor on contract for cleaning. (I can just hear Paul Harvey
"You couldn't have a better neighbor, I suppose *they* can't afford to
pay decent wages?

People picked crops as citizens long before it became "undesireable"
work that could only be filled by illegal immigrants.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old October 31st 03, 09:57 PM
Bill Sohl

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Dwight Stewart wrote:
"N2EY" wrote:

[...]

Why does WalMart have an obligation to "police" the pay scale of
a contractor's employees. As a homeowner, I "hire" contractors now
and then to do various jobs...it ain't my responsibility to know
how much Company X contractor pays its employees

People picked crops as citizens long before it became "undesireable"
work that could only be filled by illegal immigrants.

Heck, some folks PAY for the privilege of "pick your own" (enter
appropriate farm product name).

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old November 1st 03, 12:51 AM
Mike Coslo

Bill Sohl wrote:
"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Dwight Stewart wrote:

"N2EY" wrote:

[...]

For the same reason they might want a contractors employees tested for
drugs. For the same reason you might not want to invest in an
organization that has practices you don't like. Wal Mart has
accountants, the accountants know - or should know - the hours needed to
do a certain function, therefore they should have an idea what it should
cost to contract out a service. If a bid comes in below what it should
cost, the contract company is either not doing the job it should, is
using illegal help, or is so incredibly efficient that the hiring
company should have the contracting company do some seminars on how they
got so efficient.

You might want to think about your practice of apathy toward
subcontractors. One way that they can charge lower prices is to not
carry insurance. I recently had tree work done, and we got several
quotes. We asked the lowest couple quotes to provide proof of insurance.
Guess what? No insurance. So I do want to know a few things about those
who I hire. YMMV. For myself I won't try to stand up for something illegal.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old November 1st 03, 03:30 AM
N2EY

In article .net, "Bill Sohl"
writes:

Heck, some folks PAY for the privilege of "pick your own" (enter
appropriate farm product name).

But they get to keep what they pick.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old November 1st 03, 03:38 AM
Kim W5TIT

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Dwight Stewart wrote:
"N2EY" wrote:

[...]

No, the damned rub is in how much our products would cost if the jobs
migrant and transient workers do were paid at much higher pay
scales!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that I want to see anyone suffering...

However, I doubt you'd find the workforce needed to do the jobs even *with*
a higher payscale... Physical labor is an art these days.

Kim W5TIT

Old November 1st 03, 04:43 AM
Mike Coslo

Kim W5TIT wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Dwight Stewart wrote:

"N2EY" wrote:

[...]

But where do we stop? As I noted to Jim, there are new jobs "going away"
from America, like those in some IT fields. Don't expect it to stop
there. The companies can pay much less for the help in India, and I
guess we are to be happy that our software may cost less. I'd pay a
little more for tech help I can understand. Anymore, it is getting
really hard to make out what the tech help is telling me.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old November 1st 03, 06:25 PM
Kim W5TIT

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
. ..
Kim W5TIT wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

Dwight Stewart wrote:

"N2EY" wrote:

[...]

Well, the fact that jobs are moving away from this country is not new--it's
been going on since I was in High School. And, while I don't like it, I'm
not going to get all bent out of shape over it--because there's not a damned
thing that's ever been done about and there will never be. The only way to
stop it from happening is to have the "rest of the world's" standard of
living raised. Or, ours lowered. It seems to me that as jobs have moved
out of this country (industries, we should say); they are slowly replaced by
others. That is to say that it seems almost a natural transition that has
been happening for at least two generations now. Sure, there are great
numbers of people displaced by the practice--but the economy and job markets
have recovered in every instance.

Personally, I could never figure out why the computer industry was as it was
in this country. When one considers that the technology of computers and
its resulting industry can literally be transported over phone lines, how in
the world is it that there was such a glut of computer, and telecom for that
matter, in this country? Some tech support person from across the ocean can
access my computer and help me fix it.

Consider this. I've been toying with the idea over the last few years that
it will the "menial" (as was put by someone else--I don't agree with the
term) jobs that will gradually grow to the higher paid jobs in this
country...because there will be less and less people who *will* do them.
The "services" of a migrant worker or a fast food person, or a municipal
worker or construction worker will become so highly needed, that they will
be able to demand a pretty penny for their work. Everyone will want the
sit-down-in-the-AC jobs and no one will want to work outside--where the meat
of our lives comes from.

Kim W5TIT

Old November 1st 03, 06:33 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Kim W5TIT" wrote in message
Personally, I could never figure out why the computer industry was as it

was
in this country. When one considers that the technology of computers and
its resulting industry can literally be transported over phone lines, how

in
the world is it that there was such a glut of computer, and telecom for

that
matter, in this country? Some tech support person from across the ocean

can
access my computer and help me fix it.

What I object to is that they put people in customer service who speaks the
language so poorly that their help is worthless. I had this happen while I
was trying to cancel one of those "free internet trial subscriptions." It
took at least 15 minutes to get them to understand that I wanted it totally
canceled.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old November 1st 03, 11:46 PM
JJ

Kim W5TIT wrote:

Consider this. I've been toying with the idea over the last few years that
it will the "menial" (as was put by someone else--I don't agree with the
term) jobs that will gradually grow to the higher paid jobs in this
country...because there will be less and less people who *will* do them.
The "services" of a migrant worker or a fast food person, or a municipal
worker or construction worker will become so highly needed, that they will
be able to demand a pretty penny for their work.

And when this happens your taco and a coke at Taco Bell will cost you $15.