Old November 25th 03, 07:05 AM
Ryan, KC8PMX

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
Ryan, KC8PMX wrote:
Don't forget succumbing to the credit card problem. It's soooo easy to
live life large when you have 10 credit cards with a 20 thousand liimit
on each card.

One card with a 500 dollar limit here.... used for emergencies and the
occaisional on-line purchase.

I confess I have several, but one is a card which gives a discount on
gasoline - but ya have to pay it off!!! - and some others, but they get
paid off pronto.

I'll bet that P****s the companies off!

I just feel that the credit cards "trap" a person..... not only with dealing
with paying the damned things off but as a way of thinking when purchasing.
"Gee, I don't have enough money in my wallet, but wait! I have my credit
cards!!"
Thats why I have the one card... with a lower limit.

One of those nifty little life secrets I've found out is that if you
are willing to avoid spending credit money like a drunken sailor while
you are young, you will have much more money for your toys when you get
older.

Bingo.... keep money going into savings and then take the funds out when

you
need to purchase, but that is an idealism that most cannot grasp.

A pity, that.

True, that.!

--
Ryan KC8PMX

"Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die."

hehe, good one, Ryan!

Yeah, I like a good tagline and always looking for more! My favorite one is
below.

--
Ryan KC8PMX

"Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you
still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs."

Old November 27th 03, 05:28 PM
N2EY

In article , "Ryan, KC8PMX"
writes:

I just feel that the credit cards "trap" a person..... not only with dealing
with paying the damned things off but as a way of thinking when purchasing.

A problem with any new technology (credit cards are simply a financial
technology) is that new forms of thinking and acting have to be developed by
those who use the technology.

In a cash-only environment, I cannot spend money I don't have yet. With checks,
I can sometimes play games with 'getting to the bank before they do', but
that's pretty limited. With true credit cards, a new level of thinking and
discipline are needed to avoid digging oneself into a hole.

I think of credit cards as "instant debt" cards, which helps me avoid using
them! Instead, I use debit cards.

The "human nature/psychology" factor is a real thing, though. It's a different
thing to count out several hundred dollars in cash and hand it over, compared
to simply flashing the plastic.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old November 27th 03, 06:14 PM
JJ

Ryan, KC8PMX wrote:

..

I just feel that the credit cards "trap" a person..... not only with dealing
with paying the damned things off but as a way of thinking when purchasing.
"Gee, I don't have enough money in my wallet, but wait! I have my credit
cards!!"
Thats why I have the one card... with a lower limit.

Only if you allow it to "trap" you. Charge only what you can pay off at
the end of the billing cycle. It is really stupid to pay the interst on
a credit card. I see my credit card as a handy way not to have to pay
cash or write checks and have a good record of my purchases, but *never*
go into debt with it, always pay the full balance. If you can't pay the
full balance you are buying more than you need.