Old December 28th 03, 10:25 AM
JEP

Check your local newstand or magazine rack in stores, many carry QST.
You can purchase it without membership, or check you local library, they
may carry it and you can read it for free.

Popular Communications (Never met a radio they didn't like)
CQ
QST
Monitoring Times

These should be easily found at any decent newstand. Don't you have any
bookstores there??

Borders?
BDalton?

BDK

Better check your local book seller your self. Barnes & Noble and
Books a Million around here and no QST.
NO QST anywhere.
CQ always did suck.
Pop Comm--ditto--SUCKS.
Monitoring Times is kinda OK.
73 & Ham Radio are gone.
Guess Mother Earth News it is ;-(
Old December 28th 03, 10:55 AM
Gray Shockley

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 4:25:03 -0600, JEP wrote
(in message ) :

[...]

If I were interested in ham radio, I'd have a ham radio license.

But I'm a SWL and so I could care less about QST, CQ, 73 and Ham Radio. It's
"interesting" to see so many x-posts to r.r.s about ham radio.

About 45 years ago I used ta listen to hams and decided that I didn't want to
be one nor continue listening to them. Most of my closest friends are hams
but they've given up on "converting" me (even when I help them with tech
"stuff").

The great majority of hams are nice people and they sure do justify more than
their hobby when there's an emergency. But why they think that SWLer's are
interested in /their/ hobby still puzzles me.

There are times when there are mutual interests. When a ham goes feral and
starts broadcasting as a pirate and a felon, this can connect both hobbies
and such as that makes me not want to just automatically killfool all the ham
newsgroups.

But look at this SUBJ: "Why you don't like the ARRL".

And - of the four newsgroups - two are for SWLers and CBers.

May I ask for as little more care when deciding to what many newsgroups one
posts to?

Thanks,

Gray Shockley
-----------------------
DX-392 DX-398
RX-320 DX-399
CCradio w/RS Loop
Torus Tuner (3-13 MHz)
Select-A-Tenna
-----------------------
Vicksburg, MS US

Old December 28th 03, 12:38 PM
Dwight Stewart

"Gray Shockley" wrote:

And - of the four newsgroups - two are
for SWLers and CBers.

May I ask for as little more care when
deciding to what many newsgroups one
posts to?

Sadly, we don't always have much control over where messages are
cross-posted, Gray. Since some Hams are CB'ers and others SWL's, the
discussion itself may have actually started in one of those non-ham
newsgroups. In other cases, it is trolls (in any one of the newsgroups)
trying to belittle Ham radio and it's operators (posted to a number of
newsgroups in an effort to get the widest possible audience for that). In
still other cases, the discussion started in a ham radio newsgroup, with
other newsgroups added by participants who mainly frequent those other
newsgroups. Whatever the case, you're certainly not alone - we get our share
of messages relating to other topics posted in the Ham radio newsgroups as
well.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old December 28th 03, 03:14 PM
KØHB

"Steve Robeson K4CAP" wrote

Ah, yes...the "if they can't argue the argument, make fun of it"

mantra.

..... it provides for a structured occupancy of the bands.

It's hard NOT to make fun of declarations such as the above!!!!!!

Stand At Ease, Gunny!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old December 28th 03, 04:00 PM
Brian

(Steve Robeson K4CAP) wrote in message ...
Subject: Why You Don't Like The ARRL
From:
(Brian)
Date: 12/26/03 3:01 PM Central Standard Time

How many amateur radio services do we really need? How many do you
really want?

One radio service with a TIERED license structure, Brain.

It is a "TIRED" radio structure. If you want Merit Badges, join the
BSA (or CAP). There is no need to have class distinctions between
hams artificially created by the FCC. Allow the ham to distinguish
himself or herself, based upon actual achievements.

Obviously you do not concur with the FCC's "Basis and Purpose" of the
Amateur Radio Service, espeically those that establish the service as one of
"self-training".

I do. -Espeically- "self-training." Obviously you believe that once
you obtain the "Amateur Extra" license that all learning must stop.
There is nothing more to be learned!

You couldn't be more wrong. Again.

A "single license" concept does not support that premise, Brain.

It does. Unless you believe that once you obtain Amateur Extra that
all learning stops because ther is nothing new to be learned.

A tiered one does.

No more than a one license ARS.

Was that too difficult for you?

Trying hard to keep your position at the top of the hill is sooo
transparent.

Steve, K4YZ

Allow the ham to show the world his real achievements, not some
government supported and forced Merit Badge system of false
achievements.

Brian, N0iMD
Old December 28th 03, 05:28 PM
Kim W5TIT

From: "KØHB"
Date: 12/26/03 8:00 AM Central Standard Time

"Steve Robeson K4CAP" wrote

those who want something for nothing

Ah, yes, when they can't make a reasoned argument they trot out the old
"something for nothing" mantra.

Ah, yes...the "if they can't argue the argument, make fun of it"

mantra.

Sorry, but that just doesn't stand up in the light of day, Steve.

Sure it does, Hans. The present system was set up in such a way as

encourage licensees to pursue a program of self study.

The alternatives I have seen here lately suggest that potential new
licensees are either idiots for whom we must dilute the test to it's least
common denominator, or that we must hang a seriously big carrot out in

front to
get them to get involved. THAT doesn't stand up in the light of day,

Hans.

The current licensing strucure has already PROVEN that the tests are
reasonable (when the material is sequestered) and that it provides for a
structured occupancy of the bands.

There was no "ghettos" from Incentive Licensing, Hans. Yes, there

were
hundreds of disenfranchised Amateurs who were, in fact, cheated out of
something they had already been using. That was indeed unfair to say the

very
least.

As for "free upgrades", the FCC already unleased THAT genie with

thier
last round of "restructuring" with no help at all from the ARRL.

73

Steve, K4YZ

Know what would solve a *lot* of discontent with the current licensing
system(?)--at least from the perspective of those who think the current
system lends itself to "dumbed" down hams; which is absurd by the way, there
a loads of dumbed down long-licensed hams.

Keep the written exam, nix all CW or alternative mode testing, and increase
the license fee to at least that of the GMRS fee of $75.00 (not sure for how
long that $75.00 is good for).

Kim W5TIT

Old December 28th 03, 05:33 PM
Carl R. Stevenson

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
t...
Yes you did miss it, IMO! What other Morse code pro/con advocacy groups
are there? NCI is the one standing around when the change happened, it
happened their way, and now all we hear is some people's personal
beliefs when they should be at least putting together a plan for the
aftermath of the ARS, post Element one. The two I have seen I'm not
overwhelmed with.

So I will be yapping about what I percieve to be a *grave* error in
omission.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Mike,

Why the (at least implied) premise that there will be an "aftermath" when
Morse testing finally, completely goes away?

What sort of doom and gloom scenario are you envisioning?

How is this any different than the dire predictions of the end of ham
radio when spark gave way to CW, AM to SSB, etc.???

All of these predictions have failed to come to pass ...

There IS no "vacuum" to be filled, or anything necessary to "replace,"
Morse testing when it goes ... it's simply unecessary, so it logically
follows that it is not necessary to "find something to replace it."

73,
Carl - wk3c