Old December 31st 03, 07:30 PM
JEP

Only if you are pre 1960 and still consider 11 meters as a ham band.

Radioman wrote in message ...
I'm talking about HAMS that really use a radio to transmit a signal.
Doesnt matter what band. How many transmit a signal at least once a
week? Most don't.

If that HAM is active on CB, does that count? It's a radio signal.

Old December 31st 03, 07:31 PM
JEP

Thats why I say good riddance to ARRL and QST.

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message igy.com...
"JEP" wrote in message
om...
Just my point. I don't want to belong to ARRL just as I don't care to
belong to AARP, NRA, AAA, Skinheads, etc. I just want to read their
magazine when it has something that interests me. I wouldn't buy it
every month as most of the time it has useless drivel about some
clowntest or whether someone died or some such crap. ARRL and QST have
a short time left as the active Ham population lessens.

Well then you can't expect the magazine to be sold at outlets when you only
buy it once in a while. They've got to recoup the costs of printing and
distributing and the "once in a while" buyer just doesn't provide that.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old December 31st 03, 07:37 PM
JEP

Check the figures yourself then check how many are really active. Yes
you can but NRA and AARP rags on the stand. AAA no. I quoted no data,
I made an observation. Get you head out the sand and look around. See
all of your old buddies just hanging around the club meeting doing
nothing? is field day as well attended as it was in the 60's? Are new
folks welcomed? Is help provided?
If so then consider yourself lucky.

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message hlink.net...
"JEP" wrote in message
om...
Just my point. I don't want to belong to ARRL just as I don't care to
belong to AARP, NRA, AAA, Skinheads, etc.

Can you "just buy" the magazines of AARP, NRA, AAA, etc.
without joining? I am always amazed at people that want the "benefits"
of an organization's efforts, in this case the publication, but don't want
to support the organization by joining. I see the same thing at times
in the antique car hobby. People that bitch about the club rules
at a car show, or otherwise want technical help from club officials
but won't part with the few bucks it takes to join.

I just want to read their
magazine when it has something that interests me. I wouldn't buy it
every month as most of the time it has useless drivel about some
clowntest or whether someone died or some such crap. ARRL and QST have
a short time left as the active Ham population lessens.

Is it lessening? News to me.

If they took a
real survey as to how many real active ham there are they would find
the number far less than they think. I'm not talking about members,
I'm talking about HAMS that really use a radio to transmit a signal.
Doesnt matter what band. How many transmit a signal at least once a
week? Most don't.

Please provide your survey data.

Look at your local HAM clubs, talk to the members(if you can wake them
up). Most show up and act disgusted with the club, Ham radio, life in
general. New folks are never there. Ya I know about your Skywarn in
Flint, MI. Great service! Could be run on CB, NEXTEL, GMRS.

Could be but isn't...there in lies the difference.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

Old December 31st 03, 08:10 PM
Dave Heil

JEP wrote:

Thats why I say good riddance to ARRL and QST.

That'll show 'em...

Dave K8MN
Old December 31st 03, 08:13 PM
Dave Heil

JEP wrote:

Check the figures yourself then check how many are really active. Yes
you can but NRA and AARP rags on the stand. AAA no. I quoted no data,
I made an observation. Get you head out the sand and look around.

See all of your old buddies just hanging around the club meeting doing
nothing?

Yep, that's the same thing they were doing twenty or thirty years ago.
They show up though.

is field day as well attended as it was in the 60's?

Yep.

Are new folks welcomed?

Yep.

Is help provided?

Yep.

If so then consider yourself lucky.

I don't know about lucky. Fortunate, maybe, that my experience over
forty years in amateur radio hasn't been the unpleasant one you've
obviously been forced to endure.

Dave K8MN

Old December 31st 03, 11:32 PM
Dan/W4NTI

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
JEP wrote:

Thats why I say good riddance to ARRL and QST.

That'll show 'em...

Dave K8MN

I bet it will Dave....maybe they should cut off their noses also, eh?

Dan/W4NTI

Old December 31st 03, 11:33 PM
Dan/W4NTI

Good points....now allow me to add some from the other side.

No, lets make it just one.

Know many new guys that DONT KNOW IT ALL?

Dan/W4NTI

"JEP" wrote in message
om...
Check the figures yourself then check how many are really active. Yes
you can but NRA and AARP rags on the stand. AAA no. I quoted no data,
I made an observation. Get you head out the sand and look around. See
all of your old buddies just hanging around the club meeting doing
nothing? is field day as well attended as it was in the 60's? Are new
folks welcomed? Is help provided?
If so then consider yourself lucky.

"Bill Sohl" wrote in message

hlink.net...

Old December 31st 03, 11:56 PM
N2EY

In article .net, "Bill Sohl"
writes:

Personally I think good true conservative idea is to allow people on
the air with no licencing requirements whatsoever, then cull out the
ones that violate the rules.

Wrong. A true conservative desires the least practical government
intervention in life.

A true liberal desires the least practical government intervention in life as
well.

The devil is in the details of what "least practical government intervention"
really means.

Just one example: The government used tax dollars to rescue Chrysler about 20
years ago. It turned out to be a good gamble because Chrysler paid back all of
the money with interest, and in the end it cost the taxpayers nothing.

Now - was the bailout a "liberal" move to save workers' jobs and try to manage
the economy? Some "conservatives" would say that companies that get in trouble
should be allowed to fail in a 'free market' and not propped up with tax
dollars.

OTOH, was the bailout a "conservative" move to save investors' money? Or to
give some help to an industry bedeviled with safety, pollution and economy
regulations *and* the double whammy of foreign competiton and two oil crises?

Some "liberals" would say that Big Business should not be propped up with tax
dollars. (Ma's Diner wouldn't get such a bailout)

Clearly a "free-for-all" no license approach
to ham radio wouldn't cut it and, as such, I and other conservative
minded individuals do support ham licensing.

Most "conservatives", anyway. The exact same is said by most "liberals".

Where we depart from
the current approach is in the recognition that the "incentives" of
today's licensing do NOT dovetail with the knowledge needed
to pass the higher level license exams.

Not perfectly, anyway.

73 es HNY de Jim, N2EY