Old January 10th 04, 09:34 PM
Len Over 21

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

I believe that's the beauty of the Orion, it's never "ancient." The latest
upgrade is just a download away. I feel for the poor slob who finally

breaks
down and buys a '7800 just before the '7800 Pro or Pro II comes out.

TT just keeps making it better and better. The rig is now about eight
months old and I've downloaded about ten firmware releases in that time.

"FIRMWARE releases?!?"

Gosh, you must be equipped with a Star Trek Transporter! :-)

Oh, you mean SOFTWARE updates, right?

Let's see, that's more than one per month.

I would think that Orion could have stabilized the programming by
now. No new band changes have happened in eight months... :-)

Gosh, Orion must "not be interested in radio" if they can't get
their software routines stabilized by now...

LHA
Old January 13th 04, 06:17 PM
Dave Heil

"KØHB" wrote:

"Bert Craig" wrote

Not to mention, support a product made in the USA.

Ya mean like an AMC Gremlin, or an MFJ (anything they make), or Budweiser
beer?

No, more like a Dodge Viper, a GE refrigerator or a Rolling Rock beer.

I'll do my part for the hillbilly economy and support Jack Daniels. You and
Dave can support TenTec.

I'm getting something which lasts and which produces no unpleasant after
effects. It also costs several magnitudes less than the '7800.

Dave K8MN (Don't feel obligated to use my callsign)
Old January 13th 04, 06:18 PM
Dave Heil

N2EY wrote:

Dave Heil wrote in message ...
I also like my real analog meter better than a digital
simulation.

My Southgate Type 7 has *two* real analog meters. Nice
easy-to-read round 3-1/2 inch ones.

Also Made In USA.

Do you refer to it as your (get ready for it) two meter rig?

Dave K8MN
Old January 13th 04, 06:26 PM
Bert Craig

"Dave Heil" wrote in message
"KØHB" wrote:

"Bert Craig" wrote

Not to mention, support a product made in the USA.

Ya mean like an AMC Gremlin, or an MFJ (anything they make), or

Budweiser
beer?

No, more like a Dodge Viper, a GE refrigerator or a Rolling Rock beer.

Well said, Dave. On a more personal AR level...more like an Elecraft K2/100,
a Palstar AT1500C transmatch, and...oops, I don't drink. hihi

I'll do my part for the hillbilly economy and support Jack Daniels. You

and
Dave can support TenTec.

I'm getting something which lasts and which produces no unpleasant after
effects. It also costs several magnitudes less than the '7800.

Here here.

Dave K8MN (Don't feel obligated to use my callsign)

73 de Bert
WA2SI

Old January 13th 04, 06:33 PM
Dave Heil

Len Over 21 wrote:

Brian, "real" radios are ANALOG.

When this comes back to bit you down the line, reflect upon the fact
that only you have made such a statement here.

Real he-men morsemen don't use digital.

How would you know, kindly old gent?

Digital is for techno-weebs who "don't have any interest in radio!"

Dave (who is interested in radio because he learned morse) can
download FIRMWARE for his Orion!

You never quite get things right. Dave is interested in radio. Dave
has been a licensed radio amateur for four decades. Dave knows morse.
Dave can and does download firmware for his Orion. You too can download
Orion firmware but it won't do much for you unless you buy an Orion.

Dave K8MN
Old January 13th 04, 06:49 PM
Dave Heil

Len Over 21 wrote:

In article , Dave Heil
writes:

I believe that's the beauty of the Orion, it's never "ancient." The latest
upgrade is just a download away. I feel for the poor slob who finally

breaks
down and buys a '7800 just before the '7800 Pro or Pro II comes out.

TT just keeps making it better and better. The rig is now about eight
months old and I've downloaded about ten firmware releases in that time.

"FIRMWARE releases?!?"

Yes, firmware releases.

Gosh, you must be equipped with a Star Trek Transporter! :-)

No, just a PC with an internet connection.

Oh, you mean SOFTWARE updates, right?

No, I don't. I mean firmware updates.

Let's see, that's more than one per month.

- Version 1.325 - initial release
03/26/03 Version 1.326
03/27/03 Version 1.327
03/28/03 Version 1.328
03/31/03 Version 1.329
04/01/03 Version 1.330
04/02/03 Version 1.331
04/03/04 Version 1.332
04/04/03 Version 1.333
04/06/03 Version 1.334
04/07/03 Version 1.335
04/08/03 Version 1.336
04/10/03 Version 1.337
04/11/03 - 04/13/03 Version 1.338
04/14/03 - 04/16/03 Version 1.339
04/26/03-05/06/03 Version 1.340
05/12/03-05/14/03 Version 1.341
05/19/03-05/22/03 Version 1.342
05/27/03 Version 1.343
06/03/03 Version 1.344
06/06/03 Version 1.345
06/11/03 Version 1.346
06/13/03 Version 1.347
06/25/03 Version 1.348
07/08/03 Version 1.349
07/10/03 VERSION 1.350
07/29/03 Version 1.351
08/07/03 Version 1.352
08/11/03 Version 1.353
08/12/03 Version 1.354
08/15/03 Version 1.355
08/19/03 Version 1.356
08/21/03 Version 1.357
08/22/03 Version 1.358
08/25/03 Version 1.359
09/12/03 Version 1.360
09/16/03 Version 1.361
09/25/03 Version 1.362
10/06/03 Version 1.363
10/22/03 Version 1.364
10/23/03 Version 1.365
11/14/03 Version 1.366
12/19/03 Version 1.367

Well, it certainly looks like more than one per month, doesn't it old
fellow?
Interestingly, the manufacturer lists the above list under "Firmware
Revision History".

I would think that Orion could have stabilized the programming by
now. No new band changes have happened in eight months... :-)

Really? I seem to recall adding 60m capability to the Orion. Weren't
you paying attention? Were you under the impression that "band changes"
were the only things which could be modified in the Orion?

Gosh, Orion must "not be interested in radio" if they can't get
their software routines stabilized by now...

"Orion" isn't? It would seem that the Ten-Tec folks would show their
lack of interest by not issuing any updates at all. You may resume your
nap, Leonard.

Dave K8MN
Old January 13th 04, 07:16 PM
KØHB

"Dave Heil" wrote

No, more like a Dodge Viper, a GE refrigerator or a Rolling Rock beer.

If you'd drink Rolling Rock beer, then you'd probably drive an AMC
Gremlin, wear a badge laden jumpsuit to a hamfest, and date Moms Mabley.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old January 13th 04, 07:25 PM
Dave Heil

"KØHB" wrote:

"Dave Heil" wrote

No, more like a Dodge Viper, a GE refrigerator or a Rolling Rock beer.

If you'd drink Rolling Rock beer, then you'd probably drive an AMC
Gremlin, wear a badge laden jumpsuit to a hamfest, and date Moms Mabley.

C'mon, Hans. They don't make Gremlins any longer, I've never parachuted
into the Dayton fleamarket and Moms Mabley has been dead for years.

In honesty, I did buy a Chevy Vega back in '73 (much to my regret), have
worn a navy blue, velvet cap with scrambled eggs on the bill and my call
embroidered on the front (a gift from old salt K3FK) and I once went out
with a female jailer from Savannah who kept talking about cuffs,
shackles and body slams.

Those things aside, the Orion is built in the U.S. and is one fine
transceiver.

Dave K8MN
Old January 13th 04, 07:57 PM
KØHB

"Dave Heil" wrote

Those things aside, the Orion is built in the U.S. and is one fine
transceiver.

Yes it is, and yes it is. Did you see ON4UN's review in the current
NCJ? Very complimentary.

But Rolling Rock beer ranks about .001 on a scale of 1 to 10, where "4"
is "barely drinkable". (Yes, that means it needs to improve 1000-fold
be be a "1".)

73, de Hans, K0HB