Old October 20th 04, 06:19 AM
Robert Casey

Ya think a spy would apply for a license in ANY radio service, Jim?

Depending on the situation, a ham license could be a good
"cover story" for a spy with transmitting equipment. The
FCC did shut down all ham bands during WW2...

Old October 20th 04, 09:57 AM
N2EY

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

Ya think a spy would apply for a license in ANY radio service, Jim?

Depending on the situation, a ham license could be a good
"cover story" for a spy with transmitting equipment. The
FCC did shut down all ham bands during WW2...

During WW1, too. In fact, during WW1, all amateur radio equipment had to be
disabled - receiving as well as transmitting.

In 1940, more than a year before Pearl Harbor, all US hams were required to
either take a loyalty oath or turn in their licenses.

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old October 20th 04, 09:19 PM
Len Over 21

In article , Robert Casey
writes:

Ya think a spy would apply for a license in ANY radio service, Jim?

Depending on the situation, a ham license could be a good
"cover story" for a spy with transmitting equipment. The
FCC did shut down all ham bands during WW2...

Search for KGB Colonel Rudolph Abel on the 'web. You will learn
that he posed as an artist in NYC and had an HF receiver-
transmitter in his apartment for his "hobby of amateur radio."
According to arresting investigators. After WW2.

Abel was traded for Francis Gary Powers, the U-2 pilot downed
over Russia, tried and imprisoned there. Powers later worked for
Lockheed in Burbank then the NBC Western Hq there, living in
Roscoe Canyon in Sun Valley (northern extension of Roscoe Blvd,
see Mapquest), not exactly a neighbor but nearby to me.

Old October 21st 04, 12:58 AM
William

PAMNO (N2EY) wrote in message ...

-------------
-------------

From: N2EY )
Subject: Excellent ARRL proposal

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.policy
Date: 2004-01-25 12:31:04 PST

In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message

In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:
go thru to get on the air. There were neighborhood radio clubs which
didn't allow full voting memberships to Novices and Techs . . .

And in the mid-60s there were still some who did similar things. Indeed, there
were Advanceds who looked down on Generals, Generals who looked down on
Conditionals, Conditionals who looked down on Techs, and Techs who looked down
on Novices. Etc.

And it wasn't just kids vs. adults, either.

Yessir, It's 2004 and it's **still** out there. Guy was up late last
year for the vote on approving his membership application into The
Group (the 43rd & Kingsessing "Group" we're both familair with yes?)

You mean the one where the attendance sheet looks like the DXCC Honor Roll?

and somebody asked "what license class does he have?" His sponser:
"Uhhh . . Advanced." Then he ducked. Immediate 180dBA noise level from
the Back Benchers, "what the hell is this guy's problem?"

Well, what IS his problem?

That group is heavily focused on DX and contesting - particularly DX
contesting.
They're "a bit competitive"....

Anything less than an Extra is a big competitive disadvantage in DX contesting.
Like not being able to work split. So why doesn't the guy get one? Even if he
only works 'phone, all he need do is pass element 4. And he's had almost 4
years.

No, wait, that's not a good reason. Those writtens are really tough. More than
4 years ago, (Jan 19, 2000, to be exact) a certain verbose nonham here said he
was going for Extra "right out of the box". But no ham license of any class
yet.
And this nonham says he's a "radio PROFESSIONAL"....

Maybe he should apply to The Group. I'd like to attend that meeting....

Then as now, they were few - but noisy.

Maybe it was different where you were, Dan.

It's all just cycles Dan and the 1968 maneuver was not the first cycle
by any means and welcome to the current cycle. There will be others.

Circle Game.

Dit-dit!

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old October 21st 04, 05:22 AM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

Subject: operator's licence vs. station licence
From: (William)
Date: 10/20/2004 6:58 PM Central Standard Time

From: N2EY )

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.policy
Date: 2004-01-25 12:31:04 PST

In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message

In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:
[...]

I just KNOW there was a reason you posted the SAME post under two different
threads, but I'll be darned if I know what it is.

And I'm trying to figure out how some club meeting int the 1960's has
anything to do with what's going on today.

Some generic club, with generic members, making generic comments that may
or may not be germane.

Whew.

Steve, K4YZ

Old October 21st 04, 01:28 PM
William

From:
(William)

From: N2EY )

View this article only
Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.policy
Date: 2004-01-25 12:31:04 PST

In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:

(N2EY) wrote in message

In article ,

(Brian Kelly) writes:
[...]

1. You are blind.

2. The club meeting was in 2003.

3. Kelly related the story for a reason.

4. Jim agreed with the "what IS his problem" remark.

5. Do your homework next time before shooting off your mouth.

6. Get back to me if you have something useful to add.
Old October 21st 04, 03:04 PM
Steve Robeson K4CAP

From: (William)
Date: 10/21/2004 7:28 AM Central Standard Time
(Steve Robeson K4CAP) wrote in message

I just KNOW there was a reason you posted the SAME post under two

different
threads, but I'll be darned if I know what it is.

And I'm trying to figure out how some club meeting int the 1960's has
anything to do with what's going on today.

Some generic club, with generic members, making generic comments that

may
or may not be germane.

Whew.

Steve, K4YZ

1. You are blind.

2. The club meeting was in 2003.

3. Kelly related the story for a reason.

4. Jim agreed with the "what IS his problem" remark.

5. Do your homework next time before shooting off your mouth.

I see it, Brain.

It STILL does not prove anything. Most of the comments were about your
scumbag buddy and HIS not taking a test that HE said he was going to take...but
hasn't.

1. I am not blind. I can SEE THROUGH your rants just fine.

2. You still refer to some club wherein some persons made some comments
that are completely relevent to that CLUB in particular, NOT Amateur Radio in
general. I am assuming it was the Franklin Radio Club or other such east coast
club.

3. Yes, he did.

4. Jim ACKNOWLEDGED Brian's remark which again pertained to the club in
particular, not Amateur Radio in general.

5. No homework was needed. I had 115 countries confirmed as a
General/Advanced, so I KNOW that getting the Extra, while helpful in some
regards, was not NECESSARY to DXing. I recommend that before running YOUR
mouth off YOU do your OWN homework.

For once.

Steve, K4YZ