Old November 26th 04, 09:30 AM
N2EY

In article . net, "KØHB"
writes:

One of those petitions asked that they
allow amateurs to retain their calls when moving because many hams had
become 'connected' to their call signs, almost as a 'name', and did not
wish to surrender the call when moving. Finding no regulatory,
enforcement, nor "good operating practice" reason that a ham shouldn't
keep their callsign, they ruled in favor of the petitioner.

Yep.

There's also another factor: availability of callsigns in the new area.

There was a time, back when the ARS was much smaller, that FCC would try to
give "corresponding" calls when someone moved. W1ICP was W0ICP, for example.
But that became "impractical".

I got N2EY (sequentially issued) when I moved from EPA to WNY in 1977. By the
time I moved back (1979), the FCC was not reissuing "abandoned" 1x2 calls.
Something about their computer system.

What it meant in my case was that if I'd asked for a 3-land call, I could have
gotten a sequentially-issued 3-land 1x2. But N2EY would not have been reissued
to anyone. So there would be one less Extra with a 1x2, and I decided to keep
N2EY.

Did I do the wrong thing?

I guess it's no problem when you are running a full gallon and
have the Internet right there at the operating position, Hans.

Whether I'm running a "full gallon" or 100mW (which is closer to what I
normally run) doesn't make it any easier to devine the source of a CQ.
And what does the internet have to do with it?

If you have internet access in the shack, you could look up a callsign heard
and see what state the ham is in. Not a new idea, though - there used to be
this thing called a "callbook"

73 de Jim, N2EY
Old November 26th 04, 01:49 PM
Dee D. Flint

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article . net, "KØHB"
writes:

One of those petitions asked that they
allow amateurs to retain their calls when moving because many hams had
become 'connected' to their call signs, almost as a 'name', and did not
wish to surrender the call when moving. Finding no regulatory,
enforcement, nor "good operating practice" reason that a ham shouldn't
keep their callsign, they ruled in favor of the petitioner.

Yep.

There's also another factor: availability of callsigns in the new area.

This is a more restrictive issue than most realize. There are only 2028
possible 1x2 callsigns and only 2028 possible 2x1 callsigns in each
district. As of this point in time, most districts have none available for
sequential issue and only a few available for vanity calls.

Even the 1x3s, of which there are 52,728 possible combinations per district,
are no longer available for sequential issue.

Actually the number of callsigns is slightly smaller since there are certain
suffixes that for various reasons are not made available for the general ham
population.

There was a time, back when the ARS was much smaller, that FCC would try

give "corresponding" calls when someone moved. W1ICP was W0ICP, for

example.
But that became "impractical".

I got N2EY (sequentially issued) when I moved from EPA to WNY in 1977. By

the
time I moved back (1979), the FCC was not reissuing "abandoned" 1x2 calls.
Something about their computer system.

What it meant in my case was that if I'd asked for a 3-land call, I could

have
gotten a sequentially-issued 3-land 1x2. But N2EY would not have been

reissued
to anyone. So there would be one less Extra with a 1x2, and I decided to

keep
N2EY.

Did I do the wrong thing?

Absolutely not IMHO. I've moved several times: from 8 land to 9 land to 0
land and back to 8 land. It would make no sense to me to keep changing my
call sign. And if one were restricted to sequentially issued calls, all
that was available by the time I moved into each of these areas were the
2x2s beginning with A. I don't happen to like them.

I guess it's no problem when you are running a full gallon and
have the Internet right there at the operating position, Hans.

Whether I'm running a "full gallon" or 100mW (which is closer to what I
normally run) doesn't make it any easier to devine the source of a CQ.
And what does the internet have to do with it?

If you have internet access in the shack, you could look up a callsign

heard
and see what state the ham is in. Not a new idea, though - there used to

be
this thing called a "callbook"

73 de Jim, N2EY

Don't need internet access even today. There are callbooks available on CD
ROM for a non-internet connected computer. Besides that, what's wrong with
just asking the guy (or gal)? In addition, if one is hunting states for WAS
or whatever, monitor the contests that include section as part of the report
and jump in when you find one. Or call CQ specifically for the states of
interest.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old November 26th 04, 07:30 PM
N2EY

In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article . net, "KØHB"
writes:

One of those petitions asked that they
allow amateurs to retain their calls when moving because many hams had
become 'connected' to their call signs, almost as a 'name', and did not
wish to surrender the call when moving. Finding no regulatory,
enforcement, nor "good operating practice" reason that a ham shouldn't
keep their callsign, they ruled in favor of the petitioner.

Yep.

There's also another factor: availability of callsigns in the new area.

This is a more restrictive issue than most realize. There are only 2028
possible 1x2 callsigns and only 2028 possible 2x1 callsigns in each
district. As of this point in time, most districts have none available for
sequential issue and only a few available for vanity calls.

If hams were required to change callsigns when moving across district lines,
It's highly probable that there would usually be *no* 1x2s or 2x1s available in
most districts, because they'd all be tied up by current holders or in the 2
year period.

Even the 1x3s, of which there are 52,728 possible combinations per district,
are no longer available for sequential issue.

The "no longer available for sequential issue" thing is, I think, due solely to
an FCC decision. IIRC, their computers are not set up to do it. Yet.

Besides, it generates vanity revenue.

Actually the number of callsigns is slightly smaller since there are certain
suffixes that for various reasons are not made available for the general ham
population.

Exactly.

[...]

If everyone had to change with every move, even those would probably be all
tied up.

If you have internet access in the shack, you could look up a callsign
heard
and see what state the ham is in. Not a new idea, though - there used to
be
this thing called a "callbook"

73 de Jim, N2EY

Don't need internet access even today. There are callbooks available on CD
ROM for a non-internet connected computer.

My point was simply that even thr Ancient Ones in the BPC times had ways of
finding the rare states.

Besides that, what's wrong with
just asking the guy (or gal)?

Ya gotta work him first.

In addition, if one is hunting states for WAS
or whatever, monitor the contests that include section as part of the report
and jump in when you find one. Or call CQ specifically for the states of
interest.

I've found that in CW SS, section-hunting is usually (not always) a waste of
time. Except for the very rare/difficult ones (NT, NL, AK, PAC [from EPA]),
I've found that simply working everything you can hear will get you 70+
sections. Getting the really rare ones is a different game, of course, but
relatively few are "really rare".
And the rare ones are often easily found by the size of the pileup on them.

In SS 2004, the Type 7 and I worked all states except Hawaii. 100 homebrew
watts, inverted V at 37 feet, paper logs and a bug.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old November 26th 04, 07:41 PM
KØHB

"N2EY" wrote

In SS 2004, the Type 7 and I worked all states except Hawaii. 100
homebrew
watts, inverted V at 37 feet, paper logs and a bug.

Ah yes, "a boy and his radio", not a net-connected, cluster-spoon-fed,
computer-dependent robo-station tended by a jumpsuited sycopant "if
they're not a W6 they can't be in California" techno-control-geek with
thick glasses.

There's hope for radiosport after all!

73, de Hans, K0HB/4ID

Old November 26th 04, 11:30 PM
N2EY

In article . net, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

In SS 2004, the Type 7 and I worked all states except Hawaii. 100
homebrew watts, inverted V at 37 feet, paper logs and a bug.

Ah yes, "a boy and his radio", not a net-connected, cluster-spoon-fed,
computer-dependent robo-station

Can I use that description?

tended by a jumpsuited sycopant "if
they're not a W6 they can't be in California" techno-control-geek with
thick glasses.

Well, I don't own any jumpsuits but I did have to get glasses last year...

There's hope for radiosport after all!

CQWW, anyone?

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old November 27th 04, 12:33 AM
KØHB

"N2EY" wrote
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

Ah yes, "a boy and his radio", not a net-connected, cluster-spoon-fed,
computer-dependent robo-station

Can I use that description?

No, because some W4 will 'remember' reading it first in CQ or QST and
publicly smear your name as a plagiarist without first checking her
facts. I've seen it happen.

73, de Hans, K0HB/4ID

PS: I hereby grant to N2EY permission for royalty-free use of my
description "net-connected, cluster-spoon-fed, computer-dependent
robo-station©" for any non-commercial purpose.

Old December 6th 04, 12:13 PM
N2EY

In article . net, "KØHB"
writes:

"N2EY" wrote
writes:

"N2EY" wrote

Ah yes, "a boy and his radio", not a net-connected, cluster-spoon-fed,
computer-dependent robo-station

Can I use that description?

No, because some W4 will 'remember' reading it first in CQ or QST and
publicly smear your name as a plagiarist without first checking her
facts. I've seen it happen.

bwaahaahaa

73, de Hans, K0HB/4ID

PS: I hereby grant to N2EY permission for royalty-free use of my
description "net-connected, cluster-spoon-fed, computer-dependent
robo-station©" for any non-commercial purpose.

Just sent in my SS logs. Perhaps I'll include the above in my online soapbox...

btw, have been considering using CT for next year. Since it's DOS-based,
cobbling together a computer to run it in the shack would be a no-cost exercise
for me (have quite a computer boneyard here!) Do you still recommend CT, Hans?
(saw your call on the website).

Or will that revoke my permission to use your description? ;-)

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old November 27th 04, 01:10 AM
Dee D. Flint

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

Even the 1x3s, of which there are 52,728 possible combinations per

district,
are no longer available for sequential issue.

The "no longer available for sequential issue" thing is, I think, due

solely to
an FCC decision. IIRC, their computers are not set up to do it. Yet.

Besides, it generates vanity revenue.

No, it was not due to an FCC decision. They used them up.

Figuratively speaking, I was there, as they say, at the point in time when
they ran out. Sequentially available 1x3s ran out in most districts in '92,
'93, or '94 (some districts were slower than others and some may have gone
on slightly longer). My call is my original one issued in 1992 and as you
can see from the fact that it is N8UZE that they were already close to the
end of the 1x3s in district 8 by then. My daughter's call sign, issued in
1993, is N8ZNW. The pattern of issue was first to use W calls, then K
calls, and finally N calls. Slightly off topic, 2x3 calls being issued at
this time are still in the K sequence.

For a while, I followed the call sign usage just out of curiosity to see
when they would run out.

The biggest reason that I did not change my call sign upon getting my Extra
was that district 8 was out of 1x2 call signs by the time I passed my Extra
test in late 1992 (upgraded license was issued in early 1993). I had no
interest in Extra class call signs in the 2x1 or 2x2 format.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old November 27th 04, 12:52 PM
N2EY

In article , "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

The "no longer available for sequential issue" thing is, I think, due

solely to
an FCC decision. IIRC, their computers are not set up to do it. Yet.

Besides, it generates vanity revenue.

No, it was not due to an FCC decision. They used them up.

Well, they went through them. See below.

Figuratively speaking, I was there, as they say, at the point in time when
they ran out. Sequentially available 1x3s ran out in most districts in '92,
'93, or '94 (some districts were slower than others and some may have gone
on slightly longer). My call is my original one issued in 1992 and as you
can see from the fact that it is N8UZE that they were already close to the
end of the 1x3s in district 8 by then. My daughter's call sign, issued in
1993, is N8ZNW. The pattern of issue was first to use W calls, then K
calls, and finally N calls. Slightly off topic, 2x3 calls being issued at
this time are still in the K sequence.

For a while, I followed the call sign usage just out of curiosity to see
when they would run out.

What I was trying to describe is that while FCC may have issued all of the
1x3s, they're not all in use. Once upon a time, when, say, W8ZZZ was reached,
FCC would go back to W8AAA and "fill in the gaps". This was done sequentially -
you didn't get a choice.

Of course that sort of thing takes resources and also reduces the demand for
vanity calls.

The biggest reason that I did not change my call sign upon getting my Extra
was that district 8 was out of 1x2 call signs by the time I passed my Extra
test in late 1992 (upgraded license was issued in early 1993). I had no
interest in Extra class call signs in the 2x1 or 2x2 format.

Works for me!

73 de Jim, N2EY

Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
There is no International Code Requirement and techs can operate HF according to FCC Rules JJ General 159 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
ATTN: Tech Licensee USA Morse Code Freedom Day is August 1st Dwight Stewart Policy 300 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement Scott Unit 69 Policy 9 August 1st 03 02:08 AM