Old April 21st 05, 01:48 AM
bb

Meanwhile, the cardinals are gathering in Newington
to elect a new poop to lead the morsemen into the
righteous path of the true hamreligion...via the
"history" of radio as only they have sterilized it.

I almost read my last QST. Not enough pretty girls selling "SOMEthing"
other than radios.

Old April 21st 05, 01:53 AM
KØHB

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

"Actually, what is being discussed is freedom of choice of modes
in a hobby in a free society. There is absolutely nothing prohibiting
someone who wants to take full advantage of CW's many
advantages from becoming skillful in the mode."
--- CAM in RRAP

Extended to all modes? Get rid of those darn satellite mode questions on the
tests! I personally have no use for that!

Good point, and I agree. If we are going to have incredibly difficult
satellite questions on the Extra written exam, like the following verbatim
example.....

Q: Which of the following types of communications may space stations
transmit?

A. Automatic retransmission of signals from Earth stations and other space
stations
B. One-way communications
C. Telemetry consisting of specially coded messages
D. All of these choices are correct

.....then there ought to be similarly incredibly difficult CW questions on
the Extra written exam, like:

Q: Which of the following alphanumeric characters corresponds to the Morse
sound "di-dah"

A. A
B. B
C. C
D. All of these choices are correct

After all, fair is fair, and the CW mode ought to have test questions just
like all other modes. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll bet you like those schools where the students determine the curriculum!

Not at all Mike. You've persuaded me that there ought to be test questions for
Morse just like there are test questions for each other mode. We seem to be in
complete agreement on the matter.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 21st 05, 01:58 AM
bb

Dee Flint wrote:
"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

cl wrote:
"bb" wrote in message
oups.com...

cl wrote:

[snip]

I disagree. It took a great effort.

What is a great effort? Many times it is a matter of perspective.

In other
words what we expect versus reality may make something seem like a

"great
effort."

It took a big bite out of my life when I should have been paying
attention to other things. But I wanted it, so...

For some - it may! One argument I've heard, is that those

musically
inclined
pick it up quicker than others, yet I knew some who "were"

musically
inclined and claimed to have a hell of a time with it. Reason? I

don't know.
I can't get inside their head.

Steve can. He can even have them incarcerated with a simple phone
calls.

The biggest problem with most is "laziness".

Was that your problem? If you hadn't been so lazy you could

have
learned the code in under a week?

Eh - I had the code down in 2 weeks for the Novice exam. AND I'm

now
an
Extra. Been licensed since the early 80s.
Yeah, I probably could have learned it in under a week, if I

pushed
myself.

That wasn't my point. My point is that everyone is different, and

the
length of time it takes to learn 5WPM varies greatly. The time it
takes to learn 20WPM could be lifetimes. Not everyone is even

capable
of 13WPM.

Check out the book "The Art and Skill of Radiotelegraphy." Basically

anyone
without a handicap can master 20wpm with the proper training tools if

they
are truly motivated to do so. Keep in mind that we all talk faster

than
that. We even talk faster than that when we spell out words

phonetically!

When the ARRL advocates telepathy, I'll pay attention. Communication
at the speed of thought!

Most anyone will tell you - it isn't good to do such. Besides, at

that time,
I was chasing rug rats - so study time was premium.

I've been told that is absolutely no excuse. Nothing in your

personal
or professional life can be more important than learning the code.

No one has ever said that.

You're wrong. Larry Roll said that. Many of our regulars either
backed him up or were silent.

Old April 21st 05, 02:00 AM
Mike Coslo

Mike Coslo wrote:

bb wrote:

Mike Coslo wrote:

bb wrote:

Dee Flint wrote:

Most of the computer programs let you select a pitch you like. Of

course

you would have to arrange with the VE team well in advance of the

test to

have one set up at that pitch for her testing.

Dee, not everyone has a ham-husband to tell them all of the
modifications that the VE may make to an examination

Brian, Dee is a VE.....

Steve is a VA.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Hey, are you going to Dayton this year? I have a batch of what

promises

to be an awesome Red Ale which should be ready to drink about that
time......

Which day(s) are you going? I work Saturday.

I should be there al three days.

Brian, I just sampled a bottle, and it is awesome IMHO. It is a big
beer, has an excellent head and is pretty well balanced between malt and
hops. Good carbonation. It is a little darker than I expected. The
alcohol content is a bit more than I expected, so it isn't a session
beer, but more like an after dinner beer. Another month and it might be
worth entering in a competition...... Yumm

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old April 21st 05, 02:01 AM
KØHB

"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

When the ARRL advocates telepathy, I'll pay attention. Communication
at the speed of thought!

Start practicing now, Brian, 30 minutes a day, and you'll be up to 5 WPM in just
a few weeks!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 21st 05, 02:03 AM
bb

K=D8HB wrote:
"Dee Flint" wrote in message

We each must choose our activities based on our personal

priorities.

Thank you very much, Captain Obvious.

The "Miss Manners" agenda should be plied on Robeson, not wasted on me.

But do not whine and cry to change the requirements simply because

it's not
high enough on your priority list
to put some time into it.

I wouldn't characterize it as "whine and cry" (unless I wanted to

prejudice the
audience). Seems more like "this is my opinion on the matter".

Besides if you haven't time to study code 15 minutes
per day, you don't have time to study the theory either.

Is that kinda like when you told your child "if you haven't got room

for more
green beans, then you don't have room for dessert either"

"You can't have your pudding if you don't eat your meat."

As you said, a person must get started to learn anything.
The first ones are difficult for all of us. Like anything else it

takes time
to get good.

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something,
learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is
full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant
without having come by their ignorance the hard way."
---Bokonon in "Cat's

Cradle"

"Actually, what is being discussed is freedom of choice of modes
in a hobby in a free society. There is absolutely nothing prohibiting
someone who wants to take full advantage of CW's many
advantages from becoming skillful in the mode."
--- CAM in RRAP

Sunuvagun!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Actual discussion on Morse Testing? Boy does that bring back memories!

bb

Old April 21st 05, 02:12 AM
bb

Mike Coslo wrote:
K=D8HB wrote:

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

[...]

Wow, talk about prejudicing the audience! This assumes that those of

us
who support Morse testing simply do it because we had to.

That is one conclusion.

With my
problems with it, that would make me the meanest SOB in the valley.

The actuarial tables got you a promotion.

Perhaps, just perhaps, some of us believe that it is a good idea

simply
because it is a good idea, a mode that cant be performed by picking

up a
mic and talking, or typing on a keyboard, and needs to be learned?

It the explaining of why it is a good idea where you run into trouble.

"Actually, what is being discussed is freedom of choice of modes
in a hobby in a free society. There is absolutely nothing

prohibiting
someone who wants to take full advantage of CW's many
advantages from becoming skillful in the mode."
--- CAM in RRAP

Extended to all modes? Get rid of those darn satellite mode

questions
on the tests! I personally have no use for that! For a strict

appliance
operator who is going to buy everything they use and have someone

else
install it? No one should have to do anything they don't want to do!
Ditch all those unneeded questions.

The Miccolis argument goes farther. He's advocated dropping all
requirements testing. Why don't you go over the deep end, too?

Sunuvagun!

Huzzanga!

- Mike KB3EIA -

You can add all the CW quesstions, within reason, that you want. Let
CW stand with the other modes in the written test. And drop the code
test.

Old April 21st 05, 02:17 AM
bb

K=D8HB wrote:

You probably get the drift.
=20
73, de Hans, K0HB

Don't be so sure.

Old April 21st 05, 02:19 AM
Mike Coslo

KØHB wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[...]

Ahh, appearing to agree with me to discount my point!

I could ace the entire test if asked is dih-dah meant "A". But that
isn't the point.

You did of course leave out my point that you can argue yourself out of
any testing via your argument......

such as....

Extended to all modes? Get rid of those darn satellite mode questions on the tests!
I personally have no use for that! For a strict appliance operator who is going
to buy everything they use and have someone else install it? No one should have
to do anything they don't want to do! Ditch all those unneeded questions.

0 question test.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old April 21st 05, 02:20 AM
bb

K=D8HB wrote:
"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

When the ARRL advocates telepathy, I'll pay attention.

Communication
at the speed of thought!

Start practicing now, Brian, 30 minutes a day, and you'll be up to 5

WPM in just
a few weeks!
=20
73, de Hans, K0HB

I can already read Steve's mind at 20WPM. ;^)