Old April 20th 05, 01:42 AM
bb

cl wrote:
"bb" wrote in message
oups.com...

cl wrote:

A whole bunch snipped.

Those who defy wanting to learn the code jump at any chance to

perpetuate
rumors of code being eliminated.

Similarly, those who promote Morse Code will latch on to any idea,

no
matter how wrong, to claim the Code Exam remains valid.

Leave it in, take it out, the riff raff is already invading the

bands.

My comments with respect to the NPRM were, "What I fear most about
changing the Morse Code exam requirements is a lack of enforcement, and
what I fear most about maintaining the status quo is a lack of
enforcement."

You're right, it will take a while, even if
they were to decide to write a NPRM to do such. If these people

jumped into
Alligator infested waters as fast as they do rumors, the

population
would
take a sudden drop. I'm not a "lover" of code, but I have hold a

license
which required code.

Ditto.

5 WPM is not impossible to learn. It only takes a few
minutes a day and about 2 weeks at least to get enough to pass a

test. 2
weeks is not long,

It may be impossible for some. I learned it over a considerably

longer
period of time with frequent practice.

you probably drove longer on a permit before being
allowed to drive on your own. Probably studied the book longer

too!
It takes
little effort.

I disagree. It took a great effort.

For some - it may! One argument I've heard, is that those musically

inclined
pick it up quicker than others, yet I knew some who "were" musically
inclined and claimed to have a hell of a time with it. Reason? I

don't know.
I can't get inside their head.

Steve can. He can even have them incarcerated with a simple phone
calls.

The biggest problem with most is "laziness".

Was that your problem? If you hadn't been so lazy you could have
learned the code in under a week?

Eh - I had the code down in 2 weeks for the Novice exam. AND I'm now

an
Extra. Been licensed since the early 80s.
Yeah, I probably could have learned it in under a week, if I pushed

myself.

That wasn't my point. My point is that everyone is different, and the
length of time it takes to learn 5WPM varies greatly. The time it
takes to learn 20WPM could be lifetimes. Not everyone is even capable
of 13WPM.

Most anyone will tell you - it isn't good to do such. Besides, at

that time,
I was chasing rug rats - so study time was premium.

I've been told that is absolutely no excuse. Nothing in your personal
or professional life can be more important than learning the code.

Most recommendations are
15 minutes to a half hour a day. That hardly makes it possible in a

week. I
used the words " "AT LEAST" 2 WEEKS". Some are faster learners than

others,
that is a given. BUT my point was, you have to get started to learn
ANYTHING. You can't absorb it through osmosis. Back to the timing

thing, I
hope someone from the military can step in to tell us how much time

they
were given to get the code down. I think they had to "Cram".

They've finally left the group. They were paid to learn the code, and
they kept getting paid even if they failed. Of course, insteading of
doing intercept comms, they were peeling potatoes.

Maybe you never
will use it again.

Perhaps. I've found little use for it so far. Maybe once I'm an

old
fart, have loads of time, and wax nostalgic for things that never

were,
I'll take it up and enjoy it, and demand that all learn it.

Probably the same age bracket as me. I do listen to call signs now

and then
on the scanner to pick out the services they represent - if I don't
immediately know who the service is. I do listen some times to code

on the
H.F. Bands.

I don't dislike the code. It was difficult for me to make the few
QSO's that I did make as a novice. I'd like to pick it up again
someday.

There are many things you learn in life and may never use
again, unless you plan to play on Jeopardy. Many people learned

the
skeletal
system in health class, microorganisms in Biology class. It

doesn't
mean
they use it now. Probably forgot it as soon as they graduated.

But,
it was
"required". It's not a big deal people. Once you get past the "do

have to"
and start doing it, you'll amaze yourself at how fast and easy it

can
be.

Indeed. I never had the "do I have to?" attitude as there was no
code-free license when I became a ham. Yet it took me about 9

weeks of
daily practice.

And you stuck with it!!!!!!!! You didn't quit, and it got you where

you
wanted to be. OR had to be - for your class of license. 2 weeks, 9

weeks, so
what... you did it. A milestone to be proud of. No one can fault you

for
that effort.

My ex-wife certainly can.

DO use code now and then, but not daily like many others do.

Everyone
has
their own thing. Some are into Packet, RTTY, AMTOR, etc, I'm

not...
To each
his own. But we all had to learn "something" about those modes to

pass an
exam.

cl

Use it all you want. I'm against the Code Exam as an unnecessary
government requirement.

Funny thing is, we're all arguing pros and cons and in the end, it

won't
matter. WE do not have control. So, if we're going to debate the

issues we
have no control over, may as well keep it clean. Hardly any of us

know the
other and it isn't worth making enemies over. Certainly not worth

name
calling.... Whether I'm right or wrong, I do value opposing view

points.
Everyone has a right to his/her own opinion. It sure will be

interesting to
see how it all unfolds. I think in the end, we both know the answer

to that.
Pro or con, it is a matter of time. May be a year, may be 5, but it

will
come to pass.

cl

I don't think that's 100% correct. You and me don't write the FCC
regulations, but the FCC looked to the ARRL to put forth modern exam
requirements. The ARRL movers and shakers wrung their hands and bit
"thier" knuckles and said that there was no concensus. So the FCC
plowed ahead with modernization, and the ARRL came up with reductions
in the Morse requirements lickety split. Amazing, all that.

So in the end, if more folks has been exposed to viewpoints other than
the ARRL's, there just might have been a concensus.

Just my opinions, of course, but by tomorrow I'll probably be labeled a
liar, a homosexual, and maybe even a horse thief.

Old April 20th 05, 12:47 PM
cl

"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

snipped

My comments with respect to the NPRM were, "What I fear most about
changing the Morse Code exam requirements is a lack of enforcement, and
what I fear most about maintaining the status quo is a lack of
enforcement."

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You may have a valid concern!

[...]

I agree. As I've said, I learned the code well enough in 2 weeks to pass the
exam but it didn't / doesn't make me a "CW" king. Time isn't really the
factor here. My main point was (and I do know others who learned code
quickly), you "have to start". I've heard people spout out - I can't learn
those dashes and dots. Problem is, they never even tried. Maybe as kids -
they may have had a set of cheap walkie talkies with the code on them or
perhaps seen some code characters listed or heard them somewhere on tv or
so. Did they "really" try to learn it? Nine chances out of ten - I'm willing
to bet - NO. You have to "try". If you can't do it alone, seek out the help
of one who has or any of the courses available and give it a chance. I will
admit, some of the courses I have heard - sucked. They tended to turn me
away from the desire to listen. One reason, one of the course tapes had an
"echo" to it. Try listening to that for a while. If you were ever in a sub
and heard sonar for 8 hours a day or more, you'd have felt right at home.
So, yes - some things "can" drive you away from wanting to learn it.
If one method doesn't do it, find one that will. If you're interested
enough, you'll do what it takes to get through it.

Time used to be a factor at one time as a license had to be upgraded in a
certain time, so it sort of placed those who were lagging - in a bit of a
turmoil. I guess that was the FCC's way of saying - you can do it if you put
your mind to it. They kind of pushed you along or out of the way.

Most anyone will tell you - it isn't good to do such. Besides, at

that time,
I was chasing rug rats - so study time was premium.

I've been told that is absolutely no excuse. Nothing in your personal
or professional life can be more important than learning the code.

Hmmmmmm....... the only other one I can think of more important, is eating!

[...]

So could my ex wife, but then again, with her being divorced for the third
time in few years, I could care less what her opinion was of me. I gave my
50% and thats all I was worried about. I have no guilt - there.

[...]

Not by me, I don't have a problem with opposing view points. You could be
right, I could be wrong. It is good to debate.
Name calling doesn't get it done. That is what kills me, many do that
because they can't do a good debate. So what if we keep opposing each new
point made, who cares? Just makes more to chat about.

As to the ARRL, at one point - "I" thought and perhaps I read it somewhere -
the FCC was getting fed up with the ARRL always trying to influence them.
I'm not sure what is going on there anymore. The ARRL ****ed me off a long
time ago and ever since then, it didn't matter to me whether they sank or
swam. The local representative was one of the most cocky - arrogant people
to walk the face of the earth. He was "supposed" to be at the Hamfest to
meet people and to discuss things. He blew off most of those who approached
him. Instead - always turning to his friend to talk to him. Well excuse US
for the interruption......... With representation like that, who needs them?
That wasn't the only issue. Their arrogance got the best of me and some
others I know - a few times. I don't follow them anymore - like a dog on a
leash. Funny, my brother just got an invitation the other day - to join.
First one he got in a long time. I said - must need some money! The ARRL
doesn't speak for me. Actually, I don't think they speak for themselves
anymore. In the end, unless we continue to get government protection, big
business will win. Money talks and bull **** walks.

cl

Old April 20th 05, 11:51 PM
Dee Flint

"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

cl wrote:
"bb" wrote in message
oups.com...

cl wrote:

[snip]

I disagree. It took a great effort.

What is a great effort? Many times it is a matter of perspective. In other
words what we expect versus reality may make something seem like a "great
[...]

Check out the book "The Art and Skill of Radiotelegraphy." Basically anyone
without a handicap can master 20wpm with the proper training tools if they
are truly motivated to do so. Keep in mind that we all talk faster than
that. We even talk faster than that when we spell out words phonetically!

Most anyone will tell you - it isn't good to do such. Besides, at

that time,
I was chasing rug rats - so study time was premium.

I've been told that is absolutely no excuse. Nothing in your personal
or professional life can be more important than learning the code.

No one has ever said that. We each must choose our activities based on our
personal priorities. But do not whine and cry to change the requirements
simply because it's not high enough on your priority list to put some time
into it. Besides if you haven't time to study code 15 minutes per day, you
don't have time to study the theory either.

Most recommendations are
15 minutes to a half hour a day. That hardly makes it possible in a

week. I
used the words " "AT LEAST" 2 WEEKS". Some are faster learners than

others,
that is a given. BUT my point was, you have to get started to learn
ANYTHING.

The book "Morse Code: The Essential Language" states that the AVERAGE
person is going to need 30 hours of study and practice to get to 5wpm.
Natural there are the "wunderkind" like my daughter who got it in a couple
of weeks and there are others who need many months.

As you said, a person must get started to learn anything.

[snip]

I don't dislike the code. It was difficult for me to make the few
QSO's that I did make as a novice. I'd like to pick it up again
someday.

The first ones are difficult for all of us. Like anything else it takes
time to get good.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old April 21st 05, 12:41 AM
KØHB

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

We each must choose our activities based on our personal priorities.

Thank you very much, Captain Obvious.

But do not whine and cry to change the requirements simply because it's not
high enough on your priority list
to put some time into it.

I wouldn't characterize it as "whine and cry" (unless I wanted to prejudice the
audience). Seems more like "this is my opinion on the matter".

Besides if you haven't time to study code 15 minutes
per day, you don't have time to study the theory either.

Is that kinda like when you told your child "if you haven't got room for more
green beans, then you don't have room for dessert either"

As you said, a person must get started to learn anything.
The first ones are difficult for all of us. Like anything else it takes time
to get good.

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something,
learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is
full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant
without having come by their ignorance the hard way."
---Bokonon in "Cat's Cradle"

"Actually, what is being discussed is freedom of choice of modes
in a hobby in a free society. There is absolutely nothing prohibiting
someone who wants to take full advantage of CW's many
advantages from becoming skillful in the mode."
--- CAM in RRAP

Sunuvagun!

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 21st 05, 01:06 AM
Mike Coslo

KØHB wrote:

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

[...]

Wow, talk about prejudicing the audience! This assumes that those of us
who support Morse testing simply do it because we had to. With my
problems with it, that would make me the meanest SOB in the valley.

Perhaps, just perhaps, some of us believe that it is a good idea simply
because it is a good idea, a mode that cant be performed by picking up a
mic and talking, or typing on a keyboard, and needs to be learned?

"Actually, what is being discussed is freedom of choice of modes
in a hobby in a free society. There is absolutely nothing prohibiting
someone who wants to take full advantage of CW's many
advantages from becoming skillful in the mode."
--- CAM in RRAP

Extended to all modes? Get rid of those darn satellite mode questions
on the tests! I personally have no use for that! For a strict appliance
operator who is going to buy everything they use and have someone else
install it? No one should have to do anything they don't want to do!
Ditch all those unneeded questions.

Sunuvagun!

Huzzanga!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old April 21st 05, 01:30 AM
KØHB

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

"Actually, what is being discussed is freedom of choice of modes
in a hobby in a free society. There is absolutely nothing prohibiting
someone who wants to take full advantage of CW's many
advantages from becoming skillful in the mode."
--- CAM in RRAP

Extended to all modes? Get rid of those darn satellite mode questions on the
tests! I personally have no use for that!

Good point, and I agree. If we are going to have incredibly difficult satellite
questions on the Extra written exam, like the following verbatim example.....

Q: Which of the following types of communications may space stations transmit?

A. Automatic retransmission of signals from Earth stations and other space
stations
B. One-way communications
C. Telemetry consisting of specially coded messages
D. All of these choices are correct

......then there ought to be similarly incredibly difficult CW questions on the
Extra written exam, like:

Q: Which of the following alphanumeric characters corresponds to the Morse sound
"di-dah"

A. A
B. B
C. C
D. All of these choices are correct

After all, fair is fair, and the CW mode ought to have test questions just like
all other modes. Thanks for pointing that out.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 21st 05, 01:48 AM
Mike Coslo

KØHB wrote:

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[...]

I'll bet you like those schools where the students determine the
curriculum!

Especially important is that those who do not know the material MUST
determine what the material is that they must learn. That is always the
smartest way to do things. The students must educate the teachers.

- Mike KB3EIA -
Old April 21st 05, 01:53 AM
KØHB

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message

[...]

Not at all Mike. You've persuaded me that there ought to be test questions for
Morse just like there are test questions for each other mode. We seem to be in
complete agreement on the matter.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 21st 05, 02:12 AM
bb

Mike Coslo wrote:
K=D8HB wrote:

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

[...]

That is one conclusion.

With my
problems with it, that would make me the meanest SOB in the valley.

The actuarial tables got you a promotion.

Perhaps, just perhaps, some of us believe that it is a good idea

simply
because it is a good idea, a mode that cant be performed by picking

up a
mic and talking, or typing on a keyboard, and needs to be learned?

It the explaining of why it is a good idea where you run into trouble.

"Actually, what is being discussed is freedom of choice of modes
in a hobby in a free society. There is absolutely nothing

prohibiting
someone who wants to take full advantage of CW's many
advantages from becoming skillful in the mode."
--- CAM in RRAP

Extended to all modes? Get rid of those darn satellite mode

questions
on the tests! I personally have no use for that! For a strict

appliance
operator who is going to buy everything they use and have someone

else
install it? No one should have to do anything they don't want to do!
Ditch all those unneeded questions.

The Miccolis argument goes farther. He's advocated dropping all
requirements testing. Why don't you go over the deep end, too?

Sunuvagun!

Huzzanga!

- Mike KB3EIA -

You can add all the CW quesstions, within reason, that you want. Let
CW stand with the other modes in the written test. And drop the code
test.

Old April 21st 05, 01:21 AM
Dee Flint

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Dee Flint" wrote in message

We each must choose our activities based on our personal priorities.

Thank you very much, Captain Obvious.

But do not whine and cry to change the requirements simply because it's
not high enough on your priority list
to put some time into it.

I wouldn't characterize it as "whine and cry" (unless I wanted to
prejudice the audience). Seems more like "this is my opinion on the
matter".

It's still whining and crying no matter how you sugar coat it.

Besides if you haven't time to study code 15 minutes
per day, you don't have time to study the theory either.

Is that kinda like when you told your child "if you haven't got room for
more green beans, then you don't have room for dessert either"

If you don't have room for good food then you don't have room for junk.
However I did not have to tell my children this because I never served
dessert unless there was company and sometimes not even then. I eat too
much junk during the day at work so try to avoid compounding the problem at
home.

As you said, a person must get started to learn anything.
The first ones are difficult for all of us. Like anything else it takes
time to get good.

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something,
learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is
full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant
without having come by their ignorance the hard way."
---Bokonon in "Cat's Cradle"

I only object to those who wish to change the rules without having the
experience to judge for themselves whether they should be changed. You and
I do not agree on the code test but I respect your opinion as you have
experience in the field (but do not agree with it). When and if the
majority of experienced hams say it should go, then I have no problem with
that. So far that doesn't happen to be the majority opinion among the
experienced hams.

"Actually, what is being discussed is freedom of choice of modes
in a hobby in a free society. There is absolutely nothing prohibiting
someone who wants to take full advantage of CW's many
advantages from becoming skillful in the mode."
--- CAM in RRAP

Sunuvagun!

Actually people who are not required to learn something at a basic level too
often bypass the activity altogether because they perceive it to be harder
than it is. Therein lies the loss. We will be left with only 25+wpm CW
people on the bands in that mode and everyone else will be too intimidated
to get on. Only the extremely motivated will even bother to try. We will
lose the "casual" CW operator who ragchews at the 13wpm level or so.

I'd like to see people learn a much wider range of "basics" in life not just
ham radio than they do now. For example, personally I believe that everyone
should have a year of art class and a year of a musical instrument, among
other things, to be well rounded. Yet we insist on eliminating more and
more basics in all areas. How is a person to have any idea what they want
to do with their life when they have not had an opportunity to gain some
basic skill in a wide range of areas? Similarly how is a person to have any
real idea as to whether they might like code and wish to pursue it if they
do not have a minimal, basic skill level?

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE