Old April 20th 05, 01:58 AM
KØHB

"cl" wrote in message
o.verio.net...

I hope someone from the military can step in to tell us how
much time they were given to get the code down. I think
they had to "Cram".

Navy RM "A" School, the basic school which trained Navy Radiomen, was 13-weeks
long. Morse practice was 3 hours per day, 4 days per week, but students could
come in after-hours for additional practice. Graduation requirement was to be
able to copy 5-letter coded groups at 18WPM for 10 minutes, with 3 uncorrected
errors allowed.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 20th 05, 02:21 AM
bb

K=D8HB wrote:
"cl" wrote in message
o.verio.net...

I hope someone from the military can step in to tell us how
much time they were given to get the code down. I think
they had to "Cram".

Navy RM "A" School, the basic school which trained Navy Radiomen, was

13-weeks
long. Morse practice was 3 hours per day, 4 days per week, but

students could
come in after-hours for additional practice. Graduation requirement

was to be
able to copy 5-letter coded groups at 18WPM for 10 minutes, with 3

uncorrected
errors allowed.

And they had a choice of Morse Code or Farnsworth Code, and could vary
the pitch.

Hi!

What was the wash-out rate? What happened to the wash-outs?

Old April 20th 05, 02:32 AM
KØHB

"bb" wrote in message
oups.com...

What was the wash-out rate?

I don't have any statistics, but it was fairly small, probably on the order of
8-10%. Most washouts were for academic reasons. Very few failed because of the
code.

What happened to the wash-outs?

They were transferred to the fleet, where most of them were immediately snapped
up by the Chief Radioman as undesignated strikers. Since we were chronically
short of operators, any training at all was an asset, and a "second chance" is a
great motivator. Usually these turned out to be above average sailors.

73, de Hans, K0HB
Master Chief Radioman, US Navy

Old April 20th 05, 10:00 PM

From: "K=D8=88B" on Tues,Apr 19 2005 6:32 pm

"bb" wrote in message
roups.com...

What was the wash-out rate?

I don't have any statistics, but it was fairly small, probably on the

order of
8-10%. Most washouts were for academic reasons. Very few failed

because of the
code.

Riiiiiight. :-)

What happened to the wash-outs?

They were transferred to the fleet, where most of them were

immediately snapped
up by the Chief Radioman as undesignated strikers. Since we were

chronically
short of operators, any training at all was an asset, and a "second

chance" is a
great motivator.

Geez, yeah...times were TOUGH during the Second World War!

Usually these turned out to be above average sailors.

Morsemen ALWAYS excell at anything they do. Just ask one.

73, de Hans, K0HB
Master Chief Radioman, US Navy

Dankie-shoe-in, 73, 88, and 103,

ex-RA16408336, Microwave Radio Relay Operations and Maintenance
(MOS 281.6) SUPERVISOR (E-5), US ARMY.

Old April 20th 05, 11:46 PM
KØHB

wrote in message
oups.com...

Geez, yeah...times were TOUGH during the Second World War!

I'll take your word for it, Old Timer. My experience ran from the late 50's to
the early 80's.

ex-RA16408336, Microwave Radio Relay Operations and Maintenance
(MOS 281.6) SUPERVISOR (E-5), US ARMY.

73, de Hans, K0HB
Master Chief Radioman (E-9), US Navy

Old April 20th 05, 04:45 PM

K=D8HB wrote:
"cl" wrote in message
o.verio.net...

I hope someone from the military can step in to tell us how
much time they were given to get the code down. I think
they had to "Cram".

Navy RM "A" School, the basic school which trained Navy Radiomen, was

13-weeks
long. Morse practice was 3 hours per day, 4 days per week, but

students could
come in after-hours for additional practice. Graduation requirement

was to be
able to copy 5-letter coded groups at 18WPM for 10 minutes, with 3

uncorrected
errors allowed.

156 hours worth of in-class code parctice and a pretty stiff exam.
Sounds familaiar. I didn't clock it but the 156 hours total is probably
in the realm I needed to get from zero to 20WPM. Which in my case was
stretched out over years between the 5/13/20 WPM exams.

I've heard some weird tales about how the Signal Corps used Draconian
methods to quickly pound Morse into the heads of their WW2 radio ops.
Stories about eight-hours-per-day seven days per weeks drills for 2-4
weeks or some such, nasty punishments for those who "didn't get it",
etc. Have you ever heard any of these tales?
=20
73, de Hans, K0HB

w3rv

Old April 21st 05, 01:02 AM
KØHB

wrote in message
ups.com...

I've heard some weird tales about how the Signal Corps
used Draconian methods to quickly pound Morse into
the heads of their WW2 radio ops.Stories about
eight-hours-per-day seven days per weeks drills for 2-4
weeks or some such, nasty punishments for those who
"didn't get it", etc. Have you ever heard any of these tales?

I think the operative word is "tale" (civilian "legend"). I don't go back that
far, but seems to me a draftee kid who drew Signal Corps billet would recognize
a cushy job when he saw it and such "motiviation" wouldn't be needed.

73, de Hans, K0HB

Old April 21st 05, 07:07 AM

K=D8HB wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

I've heard some weird tales about how the Signal Corps
used Draconian methods to quickly pound Morse into
the heads of their WW2 radio ops.Stories about
eight-hours-per-day seven days per weeks drills for 2-4
weeks or some such, nasty punishments for those who
"didn't get it", etc. Have you ever heard any of these tales?

I think the operative word is "tale" (civilian "legend"). I don't go

back that
far,

I realize that but you were "in the business" not too long after WW2 so
I thought maybe you'd heard some "insider's war stories" from that era.

but seems to me a draftee kid who drew Signal Corps billet would

recognize
a cushy job when he saw it and such "motiviation" wouldn't be needed.

Maybe for those who knew what was up then. But a helluva lot of
conscipts are historically cluless no matter what era and want out at
any cost and WW2 days were desperate times.

.. . who knows . . ?

=20
73, de Hans, K0HB

w3rv

Old April 21st 05, 09:01 PM
robert casey

a cushy job when he saw it and such "motiviation" wouldn't be needed.

Maybe for those who knew what was up then. But a helluva lot of
conscipts are historically cluless no matter what era and want out at
any cost and WW2 days were desperate times.

I had thought that WW2 was a popular war, in that most everyone
saw the need to do that war. Not like Vietnam, which seemed
to be a pointless quagmire, to be avoided at all costs.