Old June 14th 05, 01:46 AM
John Smith

I think most of those groups progressive and open to change--this alone
would make classification as a cult difficult...

However, the ARRL with un-moving devotion to its "principles" and the
staunch "unwillingness" to change is what makes it more appropriate to
such classification... rather bizarre really--when at its core is
technology--and a technology which is RAPIDLY changing and adapting to
new discoveries, methods, devices, etc...

"new" and "remarkable" become "old" and "common" in only a matter of
months in this field...

Warmest regards,
John

wrote in message
oups.com...
John Smith wrote:
N2Ey:

I stand corrected, ARRL is NOT a valid religion...

Nope, more of a cult actually--"Cult of the ARRL." grin

Then the following are all cults, too:

- Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and similar organizations
- US Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, Coast Guard
- AMA, ANA, and similar organizations
- IEEE and similar organizations
- No-Code International and similar organizations

And many others.

Old June 14th 05, 05:08 PM

John Smith wrote:
I think most of those groups progressive and open to change--this alone
would make classification as a cult difficult...

Try selling the NRA on the idea that the Second Amendment should be
repealed.

Try selling NCI on the idea that *some* code testing is OK.

However, the ARRL with un-moving devotion to its "principles" and the
staunch "unwillingness" to change is what makes it more appropriate to
such classification...

The ARRL is as "open to change" (if not more so) as any of the
organizations named.

Is devotion to principles a bad thing? Or are principles, traditions,
and
standards to be tossed aside merely because they're old?

rather bizarre really--when at its core is
technology--and a technology which is RAPIDLY changing and adapting to
new discoveries, methods, devices, etc...

Such as?

The ARRL has been pushing for a revision of the rules to classify
signals by bandwidth rather than content, and to free up old
technical limitations. What other group has put forth such a
proposal?

While I don't agree with all the proposed revisions, the general
concept is a valid one. Why should an FSK signal of 900 Hz bandwidth be
permitted on a frequency because it's RTTY, but an FSK signal of
500 Hz bandwidth be prohibited from the same frequency because it's
digitized voice?

US amateur radio is and has long been wide open for new discoveries,
methods, devices, etc.. Particularly on VHF/UHF, where there's lots of
bandwidth. You cannot blame the license requirements for lack of
innovation, because the requirements for full VHF/UHF privileges have
included no code test and only a minimal written test for 14+ years.

The real "cult" or "religion" to watch for is the mindset that all
change is good, new is better than old, ending is better than
mending, and similar marketing buzzphrases.

That mindset is geared to three goals:

- selling more product, regardless of whether it's really better
- attracting investment capital
- destroying the existing structure without an adequate replacement

The boom-dot-bust mess of 2000 proves the game doesn't last forever.

"new" and "remarkable" become "old" and "common" in only a matter of
months in this field...

Which field?

Radio broadcasting in the USA uses AM (developed more than a century
ago)
and FM stereo multiplex (developed a half century ago). Satellite radio
may
cut into their market but it's a long way from replacing standard
broadcasting.

TV broadcasting is only now beginning the widespread change to HDTV,
after a half-century of NTSC.

In any technology, there is usually rapid progress when the technology
is
new, then as the technology matures, the changes become more
evolutionary
than revolutionary.

Suppose FCC just dumps Element 1 tomorrow. Will we see a techno-
revolution in ham radio? Not likely - it didn't happen after the Tech
lost its code test.

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 14th 05, 05:56 PM

John Smith wrote:
Michael:

It is weird, just to think it is the only book (well, there are a couple
of more, most mention a "God") which stands between a lot more crime and
immense degradation of society and not...

... as even I can see if there is no creator to answer to--then I am
free to murder anyone possessing great wealth and property and take it
for myself...

... of course I still wouldn't do that--but just because I want to "be a
nice guy." And, having studied human nature, I am afraid how long that
alone could stop me... perhaps till there was ten million dollars on the
table and I thought I could get away with it? evil-grin

It's called "civilization", John. Also "mutual benefit".

You don't need a Book to figure out that stealing is wrong, all you
need
is common sense. Theft does not create anything - only productive work
does.

A farmer does not need robbing bandits in order to live. But the
bandits
need the farmer - otherwise there's nothing for them to steal.

A society composed solely of farmers and other producers can exist. A
society composed solely of thieves cannot exist, because there would
be nothing to steal, and they'd all starve.

I think drug dealers, extortionists, bank robbers, serial killers,
rapists, child molesters, etc. may have already figured this out
though...

Nothing new about those kinds of folks - they have existed throughout
history. The smart ones figure out how to do their thing without what
they are doing becoming too apparent.

too bad really... looking back, the world did seem a quite a
bit safer when they were still living in "ignorance"...

When was that?

When people who didn't believe a certain way about a certain Book
were tortured and killed for their beliefs?

When wars were fought over interpretations of stories in a Book?

When "believers" argued that it was morally acceptable for some
people to literally own other people as property?

When more than half the population was rendered legally inferior
because of gender?

(lots more examples...)

IMHO, more wars, destruction, death and mayhem have been created by
organized religious/ideological zealotry than any atheistic thief or
tyrant could imagine.

There's a limit to what a bank robber will do to rob a bank, because
if the bank robber is killed or caught, his actions are obviously
pointless because he doesn't get the reward (money).

But there's no limit to what some religious zealots will do, because
even if they are killed or caught, they think they will get the
post-death reward, and there's no way to know if that's true or not.

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message

John Smith wrote:

bb:

Or, have they torn those pages out of the bible, much in the
same way
gays have torn out the pages calling homosexuality an
abomination?

Which pages of the Bible do we follow, John?

Consider the first chapters of Genesis, where two different
creation stories are told. Both of them cannot be literally
true.

Weird, eh? The OT has more contradictory stuff in it than just about
anything I've ever read.

Only if you take it to be *literally* true.

Take Genesis, for example. The two creation stories contradict
each other. I think that's intentional - it tells us *not* to
take the stories literally. They're about ideas, rather than
history.

The idea that the descendants of Adam and Eve should be punished
for a crime they didn't commit doesn't make any sense if you
view it as a legal thing, like locking up someone today because
her Great Great Granddad robbed a bank. But if you look at it
from the standpoint that something people do today (like pollution)
will impact many future generations, it's a clear warning to think
beyond the moment.

Or read the story of Lot and his family's escape from Sodm and
Gomorrah. Not just the pillar of salt thing but his actions
towards his daughters and their actions towards him.

Kreepy and Kinky is all I can say on the matter. Yuck!

Yep.

Abominations? Plenty of them in the Bible - like eating pork,
or any scavengers (that means lobster too), or even rabbits.

Who decides which abominations "modern Christians" have to avoid?

I believe that the New Testament would be a good starting place. A lot
less of the thou shalts and shalt nots.

Yet the business about homosexuality being an abomination is straight
out
of the OT.

Except for the Sermon on the Mount, which is a number of direct
commands, most of which are routinely ignored by those who consider
themselves the most righteous!

What commands? The Sermon doesn't say "Thou shalt" or "Thou shalt not",
does it? Rather He explains how things work - the rewards for those
who follow His example.

73 de Jim, N2EY

Old June 14th 05, 06:12 PM

From: Mike Coslo on Sun 12 Jun 2005 21:28

John Smith wrote:
bb:

Pray tell, you mean the "newer christians" can't read--so remain
ignorant to the passages which speak of wine and caution of consuming
too much? But, do encourage one to partake in a moderate fashion?

Or, have they torn those pages out of the bible, much in the same way
gays have torn out the pages calling homosexuality an abomination?

The "New Christians" also tore out the Sermon on the Mount pages.

There is ONLY the Sermon on the Antenna Mount.

The Reverend has extolled that. Code is holy, code is righteous,
thou shalt have a code test for all privileges below 30 MHz.

Yea, verily, thou shalt beep lest ye lose the holy spirit of
ham.

Yanno, we used to have mental heath facilities where there were able to
help these people...

What was once insane is now required.

The first amateur license test did not require code testing.
Then the insanity began. It is only partly cured today.

Consider yourself a partly-cured ham.

Old June 14th 05, 06:40 PM
John Smith

N2Ey:

Oh my gawd. Just that simple huh?

Well, my gawd man, go explain that to the thieves, rapists, child
molesters, and murders--we need that cure now!

Perhaps you can set up a clinic where you can demonstrate how well your
theories will work...

John

wrote in message
ups.com...

Old June 14th 05, 07:41 PM
John Smith

N2EY:

Well, if you are going to use cw, a code test should be administered, if
not, none need be given... I certainly do not use cw... and no young
guys I have helped into the hobby are going to be using it... in the
future cw will go silent... that is inevitable...

John

wrote in message
oups.com...
John Smith wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 14th 05, 10:56 PM

John Smith wrote:
N2EY:

Well, if you are going to use cw, a code test should be administered, if
not, none need be given...

Apply that same argument to ssb...and AM...and FSK...and VHF/UHF.

Apply it to the VE rules, band edges, and almost any other regulations.

If your argument is valid for the use of code, then it's valid for the
use of almost everything else in amateur radio.

I certainly do not use cw...

So? I certainly do not use much of what I had to learn to get
my license. But I learned it just the same. Was that wrong?

and no young
guys I have helped into the hobby are going to be using it...

What if they do? What if they discover, on their own, how much
fun it is, despite your efforts otherwise?

in the future cw will go silent... that is inevitable...

In the future all modes will go silent.

It seems to me, John, that you do not answer questions nor
engage in dialogue, but simply repeat the same basic
mantras. Some could call that "cult-like behaviour".

Is there a reason for your top-posting and non-answers?

Just curious

wrote in message
oups.com...
John Smith wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 15th 05, 01:15 AM
John Smith

N2EY:

I have asked the young men why they have no interest in getting a ham
license, it is because of the limitations placed on the no code
license--and the fact they are not interested in learning code to chat
with someone DX--a task which can be accomplished much easier and
reliably over the net with instant messaging, IRC chat, etc... that is
REAL. THAT is dropping the numbers of hams and putting bands in danger
of being lost... that is holding our numbers at such low levels the FCC
begins to find us more a bother than anything else...

Now we are just debating if and how we are going to save amateur radio
from the men who would require a code requirement onto the hobbies
death...

You are right, I repeat the mantra like a prayer...

John

wrote in message
oups.com...
John Smith wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...
John Smith wrote:
[...]

wrote in message
oups.com...

Old June 15th 05, 01:37 AM

From: on Tues 14 Jun 2005 09:08

John Smith wrote:
I think most of those groups progressive and open to change--this alone
would make classification as a cult difficult...

Try selling the NRA on the idea that the Second Amendment should be
repealed.

Tsk, tsk, tsk. THIS newsgroup is NOT about owning personal
firearms. This newsgroup seems devoted to Michael Jackson. :-)

Try selling NCI on the idea that *some* code testing is OK.

No Code International was found for the express purpose of
ELIMINATING the morse code test. Why should they "change" and
do like you wish them to do?

However, the ARRL with un-moving devotion to its "principles" and the
staunch "unwillingness" to change is what makes it more appropriate to
such classification...

The ARRL is as "open to change" (if not more so) as any of the
organizations named.

Total and complete bull****, . The ARRL is about as
hidebound to the status quo as is possible for the olde-tyme
league leaders to be and still be human. That is abundantly
clear in their publications, periodicals, and whatnot output in
at least the last half century!

The league WILL support the law as it is written. It must. That
is PC. Beyond that, the league sits on their collective olde-tyme
duffs, trying to keep the status at the quo of the core membership.
the Believers.

The ARRL has been pushing for a revision of the rules to classify
signals by bandwidth rather than content, and to free up old
technical limitations. What other group has put forth such a
proposal?

What "other group" is there in the USA posing as "representative
of 'all' amateurs?" [ain't none]

What has the mighty league DONE in all its "pushing" since 1979?
It couldn't defeat Access BPL. It couldn't get a whole band at
60 m. It couldn't stop the IARU (and NCI) led REVISION of S25
at WRC-03. It couldn't stop the FCC restructuring ELIMONATION
of 13 and 20 WPM morse code test rates. It couldn't stop the
FCC in cutting the number of new amateur radio license classes
in HALF. CHANGE is happening but the league has become impotent
and represents only the olde-tyme, settled-in-their-ways core
membership. For a quarter of a century the ARRL had done
little but brag about how good they are, yet still hasn't
increased their membership percentage of all licensed U.S. radio
amateurs.

US amateur radio is and has long been wide open for new discoveries,
methods, devices, etc.. Particularly on VHF/UHF, where there's lots of
bandwidth. You cannot blame the license requirements for lack of
innovation, because the requirements for full VHF/UHF privileges have
included no code test and only a minimal written test for 14+ years.

Then WHERE is 's "leading the way" examples in
amateur radio above 30 MHz? WHERE are his state-of-the-art
innovations...beyond his "admired by neighbors" vacuum tube
HF transmitter designed and built in the 1990s?

Remember that is this double-degreed, ivy-covered
"radio engineer" of "much experience" in communications. [?]

The real "cult" or "religion" to watch for is the mindset that all
change is good, new is better than old, ending is better than
mending, and similar marketing buzzphrases.

Poor Believer. All radio amateurs desiring below-30-MHz
privileges "MUST" test for morsemanship...because it is the
FIRST mode in radio and all MUST keep the tradition and other
assorted maxims. Coupled (tightly) with the mighty League as
a "potent representative" of "all hams," all that non-believers
have clear visibility to the CULT FOLLOWING of the MORSE SECT.

Suppose FCC just dumps Element 1 tomorrow. Will we see a techno-
revolution in ham radio? Not likely - it didn't happen after the Tech
lost its code test.

WHERE is demonstrating ANYTHING in this "techno-
revolution?" A vacuum tube HF transceiver "designed" and built
in the 1990s? :-)

Poor Believer. 2 out of 5 U.S. radio amateurs are Technician
Class licensees and they don't worship morsemanship! It must be
a virtual hell for the arrogant and elite morsemen who don't get
the respect and admiration they insist they deserve...tsk, tsk.

Old June 15th 05, 02:18 AM
bb

John Smith wrote:
... people who play a musical instrument well, I can appreciate and have
a liking for... those with a code key in their hand I attempt to
avoid...

... thank gawd they can't force us to suffer it... frankly, I don't
know of many places where they can practice it in public... other
citizens would get angry and ask 'em to leave... it would kinda be like
masturbating in public, everyone knows you do it, just don't do it in
front of them!!! tongue-in-cheek

John

A public nuisance. Hi! ;^)