Old April 2nd 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
bob bob is offline

Default Telephone scanners

I'm disabled and lay in bed most of the day. Looking for a new 'toy' to play
with. And yes, I already know it's illegal, etc., So only flame if it's a
funny one.

I'm in a large apartment complex and no outdoor antennas are allowed, but
just this building would be interesting. I also want a scanner that has
computer set up. And capable of listening in on regular phones and cell
phones. Budget is around $500.

I'm in San Diego CA. USA and was wondering if anyone can tell me where to
look and what I want. Or if a guy wants to build one, or I have to buy it in
another country, or whatever.

Thanks, Bob

Old April 2nd 07, 11:34 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"bob" wrote in message
t...
I'm disabled and lay in bed most of the day. Looking for a new 'toy' to
play with. And yes, I already know it's illegal, etc., So only flame if
it's a funny one.

I'm in a large apartment complex and no outdoor antennas are allowed, but
just this building would be interesting. I also want a scanner that has
computer set up. And capable of listening in on regular phones and cell
phones. Budget is around $500.

I'm in San Diego CA. USA and was wondering if anyone can tell me where to
look and what I want. Or if a guy wants to build one, or I have to buy it
in another country, or whatever.

Thanks, Bob

The days of listening to cell phones is long past. Almost no analog left.
There are still some old style cordless phones you could hear, but they
would be getting rare now. The digital ones keep getting cheaper, so as
people replace old phones they often end up with one you can't hear with a
scanner.
--
"Liberalism is a mental disorder."
Michael Savage

Old April 3rd 07, 12:30 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

About 6 years agoI lived in an apartment complex and was able to
listen to many phone conversations. I used a telescoping whip on my
scanner (about $10 from RS).

Scan 46-47 mhz, 49-50mhz, & 900-920mhz

Good luck! (I lost interest in listening to cordless calls when they
became mostly foreign languages), but I did hear some nice phone sex
conversations.

Since you say you live in a complex, I would use headphones.

Old April 3rd 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Mon, 02 Apr 2007 19:30:45 GMT, "bob" wrote:

I'm disabled and lay in bed most of the day. Looking for a new 'toy' to play
with. And yes, I already know it's illegal, etc., So only flame if it's a
funny one.

I'm in a large apartment complex and no outdoor antennas are allowed, but
just this building would be interesting. I also want a scanner that has
computer set up. And capable of listening in on regular phones and cell
phones. Budget is around $500.

I'm in San Diego CA. USA and was wondering if anyone can tell me where to
look and what I want. Or if a guy wants to build one, or I have to buy it in
another country, or whatever.

Thanks, Bob

hey bob .......

it's what the other posts said about cellfones and most cordless
phones. the era of scanners and listening to all that stuff is
pretty much history, especially there on the west coast.

instead try wardriving for wireless wi-fi APs from your apartment
( instead of scanners ) or FTA / pay satellite channel hacking.

you can probably have as much or more fun doing those things
from your apartment as you would have been able to do using a scanner.
you'd probably be " stunned " at what you'll see when using a
lan packet sniffer on your neighbors wi-fi APs ..... prolly way better
than listening to cellfones because most people think they
have privacy during their web access adventures ah aha ha hah a
!! trippy ..........

look up " hacking wi-fi public access APs " in google .....
type FTA satellites into google or check
out alt.satellite.expressview for more info on these subjects.
plenty of " slightly naughty " technical entertainment remains,
it's just in new and different areas .........

http://www.cs.wright.edu/~pmateti/In...elessHacks.htm

k.........................
Old April 3rd 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

I'm gonna disagree with that! Where I am there are always lots of analogue
cordless phones on the go. I have turned it on now and there are active
conversations on 3 of the 8 frequencies. And it's not unusual to get
something on all 8.

I agree it's day will come but it's still alive at the moment. Not that it's
great listening...

--
Protected by www.Spamjab.com {1ClyzYGhYG9yw5arEQ}
"Alex Clayton" wrote in message
t...

Old April 3rd 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
bob bob is offline

Thanks everyone. I guess that idea is shot down. And none of you guys had a
funny flame?

Bob

Old April 4th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

"Rob Cullen" wrote in message
I'm gonna disagree with that! Where I am there are always lots of analogue
cordless phones on the go. I have turned it on now and there are active
conversations on 3 of the 8 frequencies. And it's not unusual to get
something on all 8.

I agree it's day will come but it's still alive at the moment. Not that
it's great listening...

They must do things differently in the UK I guess. The last time I looked
for a new cordless phone here the cheapest ones they had at most of the
stores were digital. Did not even see any of the old style at most places,
and that was a while back. Guess they are a lot slower over there with
changes.
--
GUN CONTROL: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and
strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman

Old April 6th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Alex Clayton wrote:

They must do things differently in the UK I guess. The last time I looked
for a new cordless phone here the cheapest ones they had at most of the
stores were digital. Did not even see any of the old style at most places,
and that was a while back. Guess they are a lot slower over there with
changes.

Silly boy! Digital cordless phones have been on sale in the UK for
years. We have them after our analogue one died. No doubt the reason
that there are still plenty of analogue cordless phones around is
that they are still working. Surely only a fool buys a new product
simply because it is new rather than because they need it

Charlie.

--
2E0WYM
www.wymsey.co.uk
Old April 6th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

www.devilfinder.com How to listen in on cell phones

There is a bunch of information there.They say it is illegal to listen
in on cell phone convesations,but that is a bunch of crap.If you have a
receiver that can listen in on cell phones (governments and Military
have such devices) then you have RIGHT to listen in on cell phones.

I don't own a receiver that can listen in on cell phone
conversations,but if I did,I would listen in all I want to.
cuhulin

Old April 6th 07, 11:07 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Well almost certainly a troll but just in case you're not....

We are talking about the UK now. And listening to anything that is not
'public service' (broadcast and CB basically) and that you're not the
intended recipient of is an offence under section 48 of the wireless
telepgraphy act 2006:

48 Interception and disclosure of messages

(1) A person commits an offence if, otherwise than under the
authority of a designated person-

(a) he uses wireless telegraphy apparatus with intent to obtain
information as to the contents, sender or addressee of a message (whether
sent by means of wireless telegraphy or not) of which neither he nor a
person on whose behalf he is acting is an intended recipient