Old December 14th 07, 10:35 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

Default Longest distance for Scanner Reception

"xx" wrote in message

"Kilgore Trout Jr." wrote in message
Wait for sun spot max, you'll get lots of sporadic e, I've heard
transmissions from england & ireland on the vhf low band!

When's the next sun spot max?

We are at the very bottom of the solar sunspot cycle right now.
Long distance HF radio communications should improve steadily for the

next
four years or so. You can check on the current solar conditions he
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SolarCycle/
Keep in mind that most of the frequency bands found on a typical scanner

are
too high to be greatly affected by the solar cycle.

During the second world war, I understand that American amateurs (or
possibly CB) were picking up German inter-tank communications from North
Africa on the 27Mcs band and were relaying information back to the allied
troops in N. Africa.

I was around during the big war and remember going into my neighbor's house.
They had this big Zenith floor model which had a shortwave band. I remember
hearing 'action' in English (must have been our's). Sounded like a plane
going down.

HankG

Old December 14th 07, 11:57 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner, rec.radio.scanner

On Dec 14, 6:35 pm, "HankG" wrote:
"xx" wrote in message

[...]

I live in the New Brunswick area, and my Bearcat 210Xlt has picked up
transmissions from Quebec! (Or so I assume, for whoever is talking
speaks french.) Thats around 800 km!
Old December 15th 07, 12:42 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

a écrit dans le message de news:
On Dec 14, 6:35 pm, "HankG" wrote:
"xx" wrote in message

[...]

I could pick up CHIPS and Mexican Military on my Bearcat
when I was in Dallas. This must have been around the mid
90's. Of course, back then, with the solar flare-up waning
off, you could still pick up CHIPS (california highway
patrol) who inccidently transmits on FM or I woulnd't have
been able to recieve them.
--
"...To build may have to be the slow and
laborious task of years. To destroy can be

Sir Winston Churchill

And, 500,000 Patagonian Pygmies nod their heads
in total agreement.
http://tinyurl.com/2b2bk7
http://tinyurl.com/2b2bk7
http://tinyurl.com/2b2bk7

Old December 16th 07, 03:25 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner, rec.radio.scanner

On Dec 14, 6:35 pm, "HankG" wrote:
"xx" wrote in message

[...]

in total agreement.http://tinyurl.com/2b2bk7http://tiny...rl.com/2b2bk7- Hide quoted text -

The problem is, i'm using the two-foot long telescoping antenna that
came with the radio, so it wouldn't have been possible to pick up
transmissions from no more than a couple hundred miles!
Old December 16th 07, 11:32 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

On Dec 14, 6:35 pm, "HankG" wrote:
"xx" wrote in message

[...]

It *could*. I've hooked up my old Starlite Shortwave
radio to a magnetic mount CB antenna and could pickup
stations in Africa. just depends on how strong the
signal is and the conditions?

Old December 17th 07, 01:24 AM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.scanner

On Dec 14, 6:35 pm, "HankG" wrote:
"xx" wrote in message
[...]

Not necessarily.

Longest distance MW, AM broadcast you ever had ??? Michael Shortwave 39 February 26th 09 04:14 AM
The Longest Call Sign ZBM2 Policy 0 July 10th 07 03:16 AM
The Longest Call Sign ZBM2 General 0 July 10th 07 03:14 AM
Your longest-lasting SW receiver? Buzzygirl Shortwave 46 April 11th 06 05:45 PM
Outdoor Scanner antenna and eventually a reference to SW reception Soliloquy Shortwave 2 September 29th 03 04:04 PM