Old December 16th 20, 05:35 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default What is the best handheld scanner on the market today?

On Thursday, July 9, 2009 at 6:14:13 AM UTC-7, Golan Klinger wrote:
The Other Guy wrote:
Uniden BCD396XT, without a doubt.

I always get nervous when someone uses a phrase like, "without a doubt"
when discussing a subjective matter. The BCD396XT is a cracking scanner,
I'm sure we'd all agree, but the OP said he listens to cellular and he
won't be able to do that with a Uniden. So, I respectfully counter with
the Icom IC-R20 (unblocked) and/or the AOR AR-8200 Mark III. They are
worthy of a look by anyone who wants to buy a serious scanner.
--
Golan Klinger
Dark is the suede that mows like a harvest.

Old December 16th 20, 05:37 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

The Other Guy wrote:
Uniden BCD396XT, without a doubt.

I always get nervous when someone uses a phrase like, "without a doubt"
when discussing a subjective matter. The BCD396XT is a cracking scanner,
I'm sure we'd all agree, but the OP said he listens to cellular and he
won't be able to do that with a Uniden. So, I respectfully counter with
the Icom IC-R20 (unblocked) and/or the AOR AR-8200 Mark III. They are
worthy of a look by anyone who wants to buy a serious scanner.
--
Golan Klinger
Dark is the suede that mows like a harvest.

Golan: You're misquoting the movie line. The correct word is "swathe," not "suede."
Old March 6th 21, 04:44 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

For 2021, I would assume the Uniden SDS-100 is the best handheld "digital" scanner out there. My locality is still mostly analog (Washington State Patrol went digital two years ago). My BC-200XLT (handheld) and my BC-8500XLT still run fine. One of these days, I've got to repair my now non-functioning backlight on the 8500.
Old March 6th 21, 08:58 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 07:44:38 -0800 (PST), Ken Layton posted for all of us to
digest...

For 2021, I would assume the Uniden SDS-100 is the best handheld "digital" scanner out there. My locality is still mostly analog (Washington State Patrol went digital two years ago). My BC-200XLT (handheld) and my BC-8500XLT still run fine. One of these days, I've got to repair my now non-functioning backlight on the 8500.

From others more knowledgeable than me the SDS-100, which I own, is the best
for my location. Your location probably had different needs. Are you thinking
of upgrading or just want a new scanner?

--
Tekkie
Old March 7th 21, 03:29 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 11:58:22 AM UTC-8, Tekkie© wrote:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 07:44:38 -0800 (PST), Ken Layton posted for all of us to
digest...

For 2021, I would assume the Uniden SDS-100 is the best handheld "digital" scanner out there. My locality is still mostly analog (Washington State Patrol went digital two years ago). My BC-200XLT (handheld) and my BC-8500XLT still run fine. One of these days, I've got to repair my now non-functioning backlight on the 8500.

From others more knowledgeable than me the SDS-100, which I own, is the best
for my location. Your location probably had different needs. Are you thinking
of upgrading or just want a new scanner?

--
Tekkie

I was thinking of upgrading to a digital scanner. Our county dispatch radio system had a bond issue approved by voters two years ago to switch the entire Thurston County ( in Olympia, Washington) to digital. This would mean police, fire, search & rescue, public works, dogcatcher, and city buses would go digital. There's a big fly in the ointment though. They didn't count on all the businesses closed for a year and no tax revenue coming into the government coffers because of the corona. So the county may not have the money to convert.

Old March 8th 21, 09:28 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 18:29:59 -0800 (PST), Ken Layton posted for all of us to
digest...

On Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 11:58:22 AM UTC-8, Tekkie© wrote:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 07:44:38 -0800 (PST), Ken Layton posted for all of us to
digest...

For 2021, I would assume the Uniden SDS-100 is the best handheld "digital" scanner out there. My locality is still mostly analog (Washington State Patrol went digital two years ago). My BC-200XLT (handheld) and my BC-8500XLT still run fine. One of these days, I've got to repair my now non-functioning backlight on the 8500.

From others more knowledgeable than me the SDS-100, which I own, is the best
for my location. Your location probably had different needs. Are you thinking
of upgrading or just want a new scanner?

--
Tekkie

I was thinking of upgrading to a digital scanner. Our county dispatch radio system had a bond issue approved by voters two years ago to switch the entire Thurston County ( in Olympia, Washington) to digital. This would mean police, fire, search & rescue, public works, dogcatcher, and city buses would go digital. There's a big fly
in the ointment though. They didn't count on all the businesses closed for a year and no tax revenue coming into the government coffers because of the corona. So the county may not have the money to convert.

I would hold off until the county gets their act together. The twists and turns
are numerous. I think Uniden will be making scanners for awhile and may
possibly come up with something 'newer and better'...

A bond issue probably means they have the money in their hands. See if they
spend it correctly. Don't worry about the tax money, they will get it from you.
;-(

In the meantime I would make an investment in RadioReference.com to keep
current.

Good luck Ken, keep us informed and help bring this group back.

--
Tekkie
Old April 3rd 21, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 12:28:07 PM UTC-8, Tekkie© wrote:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 18:29:59 -0800 (PST), Ken Layton posted for all of us to
digest...

On Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 11:58:22 AM UTC-8, Tekkie© wrote:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 07:44:38 -0800 (PST), Ken Layton posted for all of us to
digest...

For 2021, I would assume the Uniden SDS-100 is the best handheld "digital" scanner out there. My locality is still mostly analog (Washington State Patrol went digital two years ago). My BC-200XLT (handheld) and my BC-8500XLT still run fine. One of these days, I've got to repair my now non-functioning backlight on the 8500.
From others more knowledgeable than me the SDS-100, which I own, is the best
[...]

Here's an update. I decided to rebuild the Metro West Pro Pack 1200 battery pack for my Uniden BC200 XLT. I bought six of the AA solder tab 2000 mah NiMH batteries on ebay to replace the original 1200 mah batteries that were inside the battery pack. The new batteries are smaller in diameter than what Metro West had inside the battery pack. Even with smaller diameter batteries, it's still a snug fit (I was a bit sloppy in soldering the batteries together). I ended up using a Dremel tool with cutoff wheel to cut the old Metro West battery pack case open. Once I got the case open, it was not too hard to stuff the new batteries in it. Before sealing it up, I checked the + and - terminals on the battery pack for signs of life. I measured 7.5 volts output, so evidently the new batteries were sent to me charged up (they arrived with the terminals insulated with tape and each battery individually wrapped in a plastic bag).

To close up the rebuilt pack, I wrapped a couple of 8" zip ties around the middle of it. Then I ran a bead of silicone glue only down the sides of the battery pack case. After that dried, I cut the zip ties off and finished putting some silicone glue where the zip ties were.

I've been running the scanner off that rebuilt battery pack for three days now, six hours a day, WITHOUT having recharged it yet! I'm glad I rebuilt that battery pack because now I get some decent run time. The batteries I bought on ebay were shipped from Battery Concepts of San Marcos, California ( www.batteryconcepts.us ).

Ken Layton
Olympia, Wash.
Old April 5th 21, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 09:10:19 -0700 (PDT), Ken Layton posted for all of us to
digest...

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 12:28:07 PM UTC-8, Tekkie© wrote:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 18:29:59 -0800 (PST), Ken Layton posted for all of us to
digest...

On Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 11:58:22 AM UTC-8, Tekkie© wrote:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 07:44:38 -0800 (PST), Ken Layton posted for all of us to
digest...

For 2021, I would assume the Uniden SDS-100 is the best handheld "digital" scanner out there. My locality is still mostly analog (Washington State Patrol went digital two years ago). My BC-200XLT (handheld) and my BC-8500XLT still run fine. One of these days, I've got to repair my now non-functioning backlight on the

8500.
From others more knowledgeable than me the SDS-100, which I own, is the best
[...]

Very good, new life. I might have one of those around here *somewhere*

--
Tekkie
Old April 29th 21, 04:25 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

On Monday, April 5, 2021 at 1:27:20 PM UTC-7, Tekkie© wrote:
On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 09:10:19 -0700 (PDT), Ken Layton posted for all of us to
digest...

On Monday, March 8, 2021 at 12:28:07 PM UTC-8, Tekkie© wrote:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 18:29:59 -0800 (PST), Ken Layton posted for all of us to
digest...

On Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 11:58:22 AM UTC-8, Tekkie© wrote:
On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 07:44:38 -0800 (PST), Ken Layton posted for all of us to
digest...

For 2021, I would assume the Uniden SDS-100 is the best handheld "digital" scanner out there. My locality is still mostly analog (Washington State Patrol went digital two years ago). My BC-200XLT (handheld) and my BC-8500XLT still run fine. One of these days, I've got to repair my now non-functioning backlight on the

8500.
From others more knowledgeable than me the SDS-100, which I own, is the best
[...]

Another update: I ended up with a total run time of six days at 6 hours per day on that rebuilt battery pack (2000 mah nickel metal) before it needed to be recharged. It took 6 hours on the Metro West charger to recharge the new battery pack. I'm very happy with my BC200XLT. Now I can take it with me again and not have to worry about a dead battery.

handheld scanner Peter Vollan Scanner 9 November 21st 05 10:31 AM
FO: GRE PSR-275 handheld scanner Cybermaster Scanner 0 April 12th 05 07:44 PM
Number one Scanner on the market? Bill Scanner 5 January 13th 05 03:03 AM
Best Handheld Scanner Made Today? Dan Richman Scanner 3 February 6th 04 02:43 PM
Best Handheld Scanner?? carter Scanner 5 September 15th 03 10:07 AM