Old June 23rd 03, 02:30 PM
Arthritic old man

Default US Cops???

My brother-in-law was asked if he had any guns . He replied Doesn't everyone
! :0 WRONG ANWSER they had him pull over . All of the kids 6 of them, got
out of the car . Don was talking to the cop and turned around and all of
the kids had their hands up on the car top and feet spread ready to be
searched.
They spent 5 hours that day having the car dismantled. LOL

Old June 23rd 03, 03:26 PM
Dan/W4NTI

LOL !!

Dan/W4NTI

"Qdarts" wrote in message news:3ef67956_4@newsfeed...
Also don't wear your laundry on top of your head and you will be better

off!

"Dan/W4NTI" wrote in message
Just don't speak French and you will do fine.

Dan/W4NTI

"Alexander S. Wood" wrote in

message

"Dr. John" wrote in message
Seems justifiable based on his past experience. Paranoia, meet

cynicism.

John

Given what I hear from the American contributors to this and other

NG's,
I'll be exercising a little "paranoia" of my own when I holiday in

your
fine
country later this year. We might be forgiven for getting the idea

that
possessing either off-white skin, a foreign passport, or failing to

wear
"I
love George Bush" T-Shirts in public places were all capital offences.

UK readers should be assured that "real" Americans bear little

resemblance
to those heard loudest on these NG's. They're really quite human

friendly
folk. - Dunno about American cops though......

--
Alec Wood M1BNK
Teesside UK

Interested in Ham Radio....have a look at www.ukradioamateur.org

Old June 23rd 03, 06:23 PM
Alexander S. Wood

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
"WG" wrote:

snip

Good grief, what did you ask the officer? I can't think of a simple
question which would solicit that type of response.

I can. How's about "Excuse me officer, can you tell me the way to the
nearest Mosque?"

--
Alec Wood M1BNK
Teesside UK

Interested in Ham Radio....have a look at www.ukradioamateur.org

Old June 23rd 03, 06:52 PM
WG

I was a traveling photographer in 1988 and was looking for a place to stay.
All of the hotels and motels on the Canadian side were full so my partner
and I decided to try to stay across the line. His car had all of the camera
equipment in it. To make a long story short I got through and he got carded
so I went to ask him about the camera equipment. I asked the inspector if I
could talk to him and he hit the deck with his semi-auto leveled at me. When
the guys in the booth and the office saw this on the video monitors 3
shotguns and a second semi-auto were leveled at me. I learned that you don't
say anything and don't get out of your car. This was back in the days when
Canadian Customs didn't even carry guns but I found out that the US sure
did.
One other thing about the last trip across on Friday going into the US one
of the cars one lane over from me stopped a little too close to the
inspector as he was searching the car in front and out came the gun. That
made for a tense few moments.

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
"WG" wrote:

No I didn't ask if he was a Ham because I know
that if you try to do anything besides answer
the questions they will take you off to one side
and strip your car down then after about 1 hour
they will let you put it back together. One time
I asked a question to a customs officer and ended
up looking down the barrel of a shotgun on the US
side.

Good grief, what did you ask the officer? I can't think of a simple
question which would solicit that type of response.

Coming into Canada 2 years ago I made a comment to
the Canadian Customs Inspector about having a nice
trip and got yellow carded. After being personally
searched they then had us go out to our car and
watch as they striped it down. (snip)

You don't have very much luck with police and customs officers, do you?
I've crossed into and out of Canada probably more than a hundred times,

all
without any experiences like this. My vehicle was only search once, and

then
each section only glanced at for a few seconds.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

Old June 23rd 03, 08:58 PM
Dave VanHorn

I work for a company based in Vancouver, and my wife's family is scattered
all over the vancouver area, and several places on Pt Roberts, so I'm
through the Blaine and Pt Roberts crossings fairly frequently. I've NEVER
had any problems with the border guys on either side, and my car has been
called a porcupine more than once.

Three dual banders, Doppler DF rig, and two GPS antennas. I've trimmed down
recently.

On one trip, I ran over 7500 miles, and a ton of border crossings before
anyone even noticed that the car had no plates on it. (new car) I did
have the piece of paper taped to the window, about credit card size, on the
passenger side, which nobody bothered to look at..

Old June 23rd 03, 09:05 PM
Larry

Lots of police are hams. Check out the IPRC.
Larry
W5wlb
(retired police)

Old June 24th 03, 12:09 AM
Dan/W4NTI

I really don't know what to say about all the horror stories. My wife and
her daughter and I drove through to Alberta and entered in North Dakota. No
problem what so ever. Came back into Montana, again no problems at all.

And as far as conversations. Had a nice chat with both sides of the custom
folks. No guns drawn or strip searches resulted. Oh well.

Maybe it was the mini van that saved us.

Dan/W4NTI

Old June 24th 03, 07:31 AM
WG

I have crossed at the peace arch many times before over the past few years
with no troubles but this time was different. The things I am wondering
about is why were the police so close to the Canadian side with a road block
and what did my radios have to do with anything. You had to go through the
search to line up for the Canadian customs check and that is very odd.

Old June 24th 03, 07:36 AM
John Dyson

"Alexander S. Wood" wrote:

"John Dyson" wrote in message
"Alexander S. Wood" wrote:

"Dr. John" wrote in message
Seems justifiable based on his past experience. Paranoia, meet

cynicism.

John

Given what I hear from the American contributors to this and other NG's,
I'll be exercising a little "paranoia" of my own when I holiday in your

fine
country later this year. We might be forgiven for getting the idea that
possessing either off-white skin, a foreign passport, or failing to wear

"I
love George Bush" T-Shirts in public places were all capital offences.

It is worrisome when an 'I love George Bush' T-Shirt would cause
problems. That might SOMETIMES have a different meaning than
'I love Bill Clinton' also :-).

I didn't say wearing one would cause trouble - what I said was NOT wearing
one when out in public would.

That is really a weird claim, and is the reason why I tried to interpret
it in the way that I did. Perhaps you should try to 'understand' the
situation instead of making such a wierd claim? I do fully understand
the extremely biased hate-mongering media, and also fully recognize that
the hate-mongering media is taking further advantage of the populace whose
education about America is mostly based upon Hollywood nonsense. It
would be good to avoid being fearful of a slight amount of American
patriotism. It is the Americans who are the victims of disinformation
that leads to observations like 'not wearing certain T-Shirts might
cause a certain problem.'

The true 'chauvinism' is that which is being perpetrated against the
US by the biased and dishonest media that misleads the non-US public
against the US. The US DEFINITELY has some faults, but a knowledge
base that comes from Hollywood and disgustingly misleading anti-US
press (and also anti-centrist/anti-rightwing) isn't really a knowledge
base, but is a stupidity base. Using a 'European' viewpoint when
interpreting US politics could lead to really wierd conclusions... For
example, the often Xenophobic European right-wing has little in
common with the majority of the US right-wing (which doesn't tend
to be as Xenophobic.)

John
Old June 24th 03, 01:55 PM
Dwight Stewart

"WG" wrote:

I was a traveling photographer in 1988 and was looking
for a place to stay. All of the hotels and motels on
the Canadian side were full so my partner and I decided
to try to stay across the line. His car had all of the
camera equipment in it. To make a long story short I
got through and he got carded so I went to ask him
about the camera equipment. I asked the inspector if I
could talk to him and he hit the deck with his semi-auto
leveled at me. When the guys in the booth and the office
saw this on the video monitors 3 shotguns and a second
semi-auto were leveled at me. I learned that you don't
say anything and don't get out of your car. This was
back in the days when Canadian Customs didn't even carry
guns but I found out that the US sure did. (snip)

Well, I just don't know what to say about your story, WG. As I've said,
I've traveled back and forth across the border many times with no problems
whatsoever. Why you have had more problems is beyond me.

By the way, what do you photograph? I've been a professional photographer,
on the side, for many years. In fact, photography will likely be my main job
(major source of income) after I retire. My main interests are split between
fashion photography and travel photography (with some experience in almost
everything else along the way).

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

COPS! Not Diversified Gareeb Policy 0 September 13th 04 05:43 AM
Arkansas Cops A-OK with Linears and Exports Nicolai Carpathia CB 0 July 12th 04 03:41 PM
COPS kathy Antenna 5 November 6th 03 04:59 PM