Old October 1st 03, 12:21 AM
Frank

GeorgeF om...

^ With BPL coming Morse Code might be the only way left to
^ communicate on HF.

So you think CW will come through the interference fairly well? I guess
everything will if the range is close enough, like within a few blocks
perhaps. You're probably already aware of it but ARRL conducted some field
experiments in areas where the power companies are testing BPL. I didn't read
the report but I recall hearing that the interference was about S9 in those
areas.

Frank

Old October 1st 03, 02:17 AM
CW

"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c3873d$fff5f5d0$0125250a@preimuffyaouanyy.. .
Jack ...

the other data types
require another, often more expensive, piece of hardware.

Yes, but I can afford it.

So am I still correct that the advantages of CW a

- Narrower bandwidth. The bandwidth is effectively even narrower because
overlapping adjacent signals can still be distinguished by the human ear.

- Greater effective range.

- Less equipment than other data types, which also have greater

bandwidth.

- Can be used without a microphone and without a key. Just open the box

and
short a couple of contacts.

You forgot one:
Imminent extinction.

Old October 1st 03, 02:19 AM
CW

Now that was about a lame argument.

"GeorgeF" wrote in message
news:3F796A01.8010004@licensed4funREMOVEBEFOREFLIG HT.com...

With BPL coming Morse Code might be the only way left to communicate on

HF.

Sorry I'm not a ham and I don't want to see CW go. It call BASICS!
Once you start forgetting about the basics then you start developing a
backwards nation.

Just look at school, they don't teach the basics any more they just
throw the kids on computers. Do you know a single McDonalds employee
who can make change in their head???

CW isn't hard to learn, not even a ham and I can receive 15 WPM and
actually enjoy it....

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

Old October 1st 03, 10:36 AM
Frank

CW IWpeb.647553$uu5.104967@sccrnsc04...

^ You forgot one:
^ Imminent extinction.

Not true. You're being childish.

Frank

Old October 1st 03, 07:17 PM
Jibbs

What is the USA waiting for?? Will we be the only country in the world
with a morse code requirement??

Ireland and Singapore have become the latest countries to
remove the requirement for Amateur Radio applicants to pass a Morse code
examination for HF access.

In addition, Switzerland, Belgium, the UK, Germany, Norway, the
Netherlands, Austria, New Zealand and Australia have moved to drop their
Morse requirements.

Yet the USA will surely be the last to join the rest of the world in doing what
is obvious to everyone else.

Old October 1st 03, 08:20 PM
GeorgeF

Jibbs wrote:

In addition, Switzerland, Belgium, the UK, Germany, Norway, the
Netherlands, Austria, New Zealand and Australia have moved to drop their
Morse requirements.

So what? If all these countires jumped off bridges would that mean we
would be nuts for not jump too? What these counties do are their own
business and who wants to be put in the same class as Germany anyway!

Yet the USA will surely be the last to join the rest of the world in doing what
is obvious to everyone else.

Oh I hope not, I hope the USA never joins the rest of the world. We
don't need a 80, 40, 20, and 15 meter CB bands. God forbid that we have
something happen here far worse than 9/11 which renders Voice
communications useless and we need to go back to basices. After all its
a lot easier to build a CW rig than a voice rig in the event of a
national emergency. Once you stop teaching/learning the basics then
you'll gradully become a less educated national. Just look at workers
in McDonalds, when the computer quits working they can't make sales.....

George
http://www.MilAirComms.com

Old October 1st 03, 09:56 PM

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 15:20:10 -0400, GeorgeF in rec.radio.scanner -
om :

Yet the USA will surely be the last to join the rest of the world in doing what
is obvious to everyone else.

Oh I hope not, I hope the USA never joins the rest of the world. We
don't need a 80, 40, 20, and 15 meter CB bands. God forbid that we have
something happen here far worse than 9/11 which renders Voice
communications useless and we need to go back to basices.

Like terrorists stab everyone who has a radio transmitter in the throat with a pen,
or even worse? Perhaps a laryngitis epidemic?

After all its a lot easier to build a CW rig than a voice rig in the event of a
national emergency.

That is why I have a 50,000 volt spark gap rig in storage. LOL

Once you stop teaching/learning the basics then
you'll gradully become a less educated national. Just look at workers
in McDonalds, when the computer quits working they can't make sales.....

Well, considering McDonalds isn't set up for paper & pen transactions I would
say that is understandable. How does your ebay business do when your computer
takes a ****?

Old October 2nd 03, 12:21 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c3873c$96939df0$0125250a@preimuffyaouanyy.. .
Spurious Noise yI5eb.34774$Ms2.224@fed1read03...

^ Just FYI:
^ CW Bandwidth = wpm X 4 (e.g., 40 WPM = 160 Hz)
^ From the ARRL License Manual 1976:
^ "With proper shaping, the necessary keying bandwidth is equal to 4
^ times the speed in words per minute for International Morse Code;
^ e.g. at 25 words per minute, the bandwidth is approximately 100
^ cycles."

Thank you. SSB is about twice that right? And isn't SSB the narrowest

voice
emission?

Frank

An SSB signal is about 3000 cycles/sec (i.e. Hertz) or 30 times as wide. AM
and FM are even wider.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Old October 2nd 03, 12:23 AM
Dee D. Flint

"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c3873d$fff5f5d0$0125250a@preimuffyaouanyy.. .
Jack ...

^ CW is an unmodulated transmission ...

^ Radioteletype (RTTY and AFSK) also use unmodulated carriers. On HF
^ bands, most use unmodulated Lower Sideband. As with CW, the receiver
^ reinserts the carrier, causing the AF-shifted beat note.

And CW requires only the transceiver and key while the other data types
require another, often more expensive, piece of hardware.

So am I still correct that the advantages of CW a

- Narrower bandwidth. The bandwidth is effectively even narrower because
overlapping adjacent signals can still be distinguished by the human ear.

- Greater effective range.

- Less equipment than other data types, which also have greater

bandwidth.

- Can be used without a microphone and without a key. Just open the box

and
short a couple of contacts.

Frank

Pretty close. Some of the other digital modes are narrower but as you
state, you need more hardware such as a computer. In addition each of the
other digital modes has its own unique set of advantages and disadvantages
in on air operation.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

TRADE SX73!!! Mark Oppat Boatanchors 0 November 17th 04 01:54 AM
TRADE SX73!!! Mark Oppat Boatanchors 0 November 17th 04 01:54 AM
WWII radios for trade Ian Riden Boatanchors 0 June 7th 04 08:48 PM
Sell Or Trade BC3000XLT DeWayne Scanner 1 September 18th 03 11:05 PM
4-1000A amps for TRADE, pickup near Denver, CO M Dittmar Boatanchors 0 July 12th 03 11:42 PM