Old September 13th 04, 12:10 PM
Jim

Default Scanner (Icom PCR-1000) purchasing in Japan...question

Would that unit be compatible with English language software?
Thanks.
Old September 13th 04, 03:25 PM
Matt

Probably would be, but why buy Icom? The PCR1000 is deaf and has very poor
software control and support - I bought onebased on the glowing reports
about it. Still have it, but use it only for local high powered stations -
use my winradio for other freqs that actually require a little bit of
sensitivity.
I am not sure of the price differences now, but when I bought my PCR1000 and
my Winradio (1500E), the winradio was actually cheaper, had (and still does)
better performance, and the software support is miles ahead of Icom. Have a
think about going Winradio - better radio and at last look, better priced.

Matt

om...

Old September 13th 04, 08:19 PM
Jim Hackett

PCR-1000 deaf? You must have gotten a bad one. Being as I also own a R-75,
FRG8800, Sat800, VR-5000, and many other "lesser" radios, I believe I have
an idea of what a "good" radio is capable of. A Winradio for less than
$400? I only paid $359 for my PCR a couple months ago. Incidentally, Talk
PCR is an XLNT software package for the 1000. Best of all, it's free!

"Matt" wrote in message
Probably would be, but why buy Icom? The PCR1000 is deaf and has very

poor
software control and support - I bought onebased on the glowing reports
about it. Still have it, but use it only for local high powered

stations -
use my winradio for other freqs that actually require a little bit of
sensitivity.
I am not sure of the price differences now, but when I bought my PCR1000

and
my Winradio (1500E), the winradio was actually cheaper, had (and still

does)
better performance, and the software support is miles ahead of Icom. Have

think about going Winradio - better radio and at last look, better priced.

Matt

om...

Old September 14th 04, 01:43 AM
SamSez

"Matt" wrote in message
Probably would be, but why buy Icom? The PCR1000 is deaf and has very poor
software control and support - I bought onebased on the glowing reports
about it. Still have it, but use it only for local high powered stations -
use my winradio for other freqs that actually require a little bit of
sensitivity.
I am not sure of the price differences now, but when I bought my PCR1000 and
my Winradio (1500E), the winradio was actually cheaper, had (and still does)
better performance, and the software support is miles ahead of Icom. Have a
think about going Winradio - better radio and at last look, better priced.

Matt

"Jim" wrote in message
om...
Would that unit be compatible with English language software?
Thanks.

Having compared both, even if the 1500E was cheaper [which I've never seen to be
the case], I'd still take the 1000 any day.

Old September 14th 04, 03:00 AM
Jim

Just when I thought I got the scanner narrowed down to buy, you tell me it is
a poor choice. I hate you!!! *grin*

Are you really shure Winradio is a better choice than Icom?

Old September 14th 04, 08:50 AM
Matt

Everyone has their own opinions and you will always have some people swear
black and blue that their favourite is the absolute best, but these have
been my experiences resulting in my comments that the winradio ****s on the
icom. I own (still) the PCR1000 and the Winradio 1500E, and the PCR1000
comes out but rarely whereas the winradio is almost permanently connected to
the computer and up and running.
I have not found that either of the computer controlled scanners are as good
as say a 780XLT in terms of sensitivity, and the main drawback is that they
must have a computer connected to them in order to operate. They both cover
a pretty big chunk of the spectrum - the winradio up to about 1.5 GHz and
the icom to about 1300 MHz I think (been quite a while since I used it
last). As such, there are compromises made in the performance - if you got
yourself a dedicated HF receiver and a dedicated VHF/UHF scanner, you will
get better performance than the computer controlled scanners.
Another thing to check out is all the additional software that is available
for the winradio. There are heaps of extra add ons for the winradio,
andregular updates to the controlling software, whereas, in the time that I
have owned the icom (7 years), there has been(although I haven't checked for
a while) maybe one update and no extra little plugins. Have a look at the
winradio homepage and you will see what I mean.(www.winradio.net)

Matt

Old September 15th 04, 03:27 AM
Panzer240

"Matt" wrote in
:

Another thing to check out is all the
additional software that is available for the winradio. There are heaps
of extra add ons for the winradio, andregular updates to the controlling
software, whereas, in the time that I have owned the icom (7 years),
there has been(although I haven't checked for a while) maybe one update
and no extra little plugins. Have a look at the winradio homepage and
you will see what I mean.(www.winradio.net)

While I have never had my hands on the Winradio and there fore cannot
speak as to relative merits of the two, I do have a PCR-1000. While it is
true that ICOM's support for this receiver is shalle we say....
underwhelming, There is a hard disk full of sotware that is either
designed for it or works just fine with it. From alternative control
programs to trunk tracking software, to signal analysis software and
decoders for esoteric modes ( you can even read pager data streams if you
wish). Software for the PCR-1000 is definitely NOT and issue.

Now if only I could find a good CHEAP Winradio 1550e for sale, i would be
happy to compare them and report LOL.

--
Panzer

Old September 15th 04, 10:19 AM
Matt

"Panzer240" wrote in message
"Matt" wrote in
:

[...]

Hmmm, cheap winradio - well, not sure if you will see one in the secondhand
market as few people will sell theirs. My winradio is about 6 or 7 years
old now and still continues to be used, and about the only way I would sell
it is if I could get near to replacement cost for a 1550E (unlikely at
that).
I have noticed more software for the PCR1000 floating around the net, but in
my opinion it isn't as useable or functionable as the winradio software
which offers the same and more - there are trunking modes that only winradio
is said to be able to track (sorry, not into that part of the hobby, so
unable to provide more specific information).
According to the online shopping page, the 1550E is US$600 - not sure how
that compares with the PCR1000 prices in the states, but at the time that I
bought my winradio and PCR1000, the winradio was the cheaper of the two (OK,
it was 6-7 years ago now). Have just had a look around the winradio site,
and I reckon I would love to have one of the 3700E models that are the site,
but the price kind of puts me off it ($3000).

Matt

Old September 15th 04, 02:08 PM
SamSez

"Matt" wrote in message

[...]

Or, there are fewer on the second hand market as there are far fewer sold in the
first place?

Or, as the price is higher, and there are rarely [never?] company sponsored
price incentives, they are less likely to wind up as an unwanted impulse
purchase?

Old September 15th 04, 03:37 PM
JER1538A

NO SENSE BUYING ANY RADIO ANYMORE WITHOUT APCO25 DIG. DECODING IN IT !!!