Old January 1st 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Default help me get started please

Hi,

This year, Santa brought be a Radio-Shack PRO-97 scanner. While this
scanner is getting great reviews on the net, its user's manual assumes
a far more knowledgeble user than myself. Is there a website, or
article or book I could turn to to learn 1) scanning/radio basics and
2) a more gradual step-by-step explanation on how I can use my new
scanner?

Thanks,

VS

Old January 2nd 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Tom Hughes

Ditto on the previous replies.
Get Win 97
Way so easy

ps.com...

Old January 2nd 06, 12:37 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
daviddd

Don Starr's Win97 for the Pro-97, the best software
hand's down!
daviddd

Old January 2nd 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner
mucker

Hi. I'm new to scanning myself and have found the best of learning is to
tinker with the options, read the manual and get hold of a database with
up-to-date frequencies.

Scanning for frequencies can be very hit and miss, so entering known
frequencies into your scanner's channel memories will make huge difference.
(It easy to scan a channel of frequencies rather than a band of
frequencies!). By the way, how you organise your frequencies in the channel
memories is down to personal taste, but I have mine organised by type of
service and location.

Here in the UK this frequency database http://www.mckernan.it/proma/ is
very useful.

Also, an antenna upgrade is often very worthwhile. In the 3 weeks since I've
had my scanner I've purchased a centre loaded telescopic whip and a discone.
The whip makes a noticable difference and the discone mounted in my loft
brings in transmissions very load and very clear.

In general, the web is a very good source. There should be a yahoo group you
can join for your area/state/country, where folks share frequencies and
hints on using your particular model.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Old January 3rd 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner

Hi,

Win97 does get great reviews. The only problem is that I do not
Windows - only GNU/Linux.

:-((

Old January 3rd 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.radio.scanner
Bill Crocker

I'm pretty certain that Win97 will run under some of the Windows emulators
on Linux.

Bill Crocker

oups.com...

Old January 3rd 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

I tried with Wine but since Win97 is not really "installed" but only
unzipped Wine is missing dlls. I will try some other emulators though,
the DVD version of Knoppix if I remember correctly has more emulators.
My impression is that Win97 is a rather simple piece of code (to which,
alas, we are not given access...) and that an emulator should make the
hack. if not, however, are there any other decent applications out
there?

Old January 3rd 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.radio.scanner

well, I checked again and I looks like I got my install problems mixed
up with another recently "wined" applications. Here is the error
message I got when I wined Win97:

-----

Font metrics: 99.1% done
X Error of failed request: BadValue (integer parameter out of range
for operation)
Major opcode of failed request: 45 (X_OpenFont)
Value in failed request: 0x1400e9d
Serial number of failed request: 11383
Wine failed with return code 1

-----

Any ideas as to how to go about fixing that one?

Help! IC-706MKIIg has started turning itself off! Dave Equipment 11 March 12th 12 04:59 PM
Getting Started Jennie Shortwave 6 October 11th 04 11:18 PM
Getting started in MW DXing Michael Holme Shortwave 19 July 18th 04 06:49 AM
Help! IC-706MKIIg has started turning itself off! Dave Equipment 0 April 27th 04 02:59 AM
Trouble getting started Gavin Jacobs Shortwave 6 December 30th 03 10:12 AM