Old August 13th 06, 02:54 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default eBay terminology question

about half the stuff I buy on eBay has a notable problem, like the Pansonic
DR-49 I just got today that had a DEAD S-meter. I took apart the radio and
the S-meter had been worked on by a previous owner without success.
the sellers response to my notification is that it was sold as-is and I
should speak to the post office and leave him alone.
the auction said the radio WORKED GREAT, now how can a radio with a DEAD
S-meter be said to work great.

my main question is does "sold as-is" mean "you're screwed, I can lie as
much as I want ! " when in an auction ?

after all if an auction says I am getting something and I don't get it then
how can that be justified ?

Old August 13th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Yes... it does.

Basically when something says "as-is", bid only as much as you can afford to
lose.

Old August 13th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

mike maghakian wrote:
about half the stuff I buy on eBay has a notable problem, like the Pansonic
DR-49 I just got today that had a DEAD S-meter. I took apart the radio and
the S-meter had been worked on by a previous owner without success.
the sellers response to my notification is that it was sold as-is and I
should speak to the post office and leave him alone.
the auction said the radio WORKED GREAT, now how can a radio with a DEAD
S-meter be said to work great.

my main question is does "sold as-is" mean "you're screwed, I can lie as
much as I want ! " when in an auction ?

after all if an auction says I am getting something and I don't get it then
how can that be justified ?

Feel free to note the dead S-meter on your feedback. Of course, there
is the retaliatory negative feedback. Basically, ebay exists for the
seller.

Old August 13th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

here is the response the seller gave me when I emailed him about the broken
meter and broken whip antenna and the contacts needing work and I told him
if he didn't make an adjustment I would have to leave a negative:

YOU DONT HAVE TO WAIT FOR MONDAY TO LEAVE ME A NEGATIVE FEEDBACK YOU CAN DO
IT NOW ,,, YOU OPENED UP THIS ITEM HOW THE HELL DO I KNOW YOU DIDNT BREAK
THIS RADIO,,, EVEN WHEN YOU TELL THE US POSTAL SERVICE (WHICH I MAY ADD IM
GOING TO REPORT THIS TO THEM SO YOU CAN NOT PUT IN YOUR INSURANCE
CLAIM )THEY WONT LIKE IT AND NEITHER WOULD E-BAY LIKE IT JUST LIKE I DONT
LIKE TO BE BULLIED AROUND SO YOU DO WHATEVER YOU LIKE AND NOW I WILL DO WHAT
IS RIGHT FOR MYSELF. THE UNITED STATES POST OFFICE, AND E-BAY HAVE A GREAT
LIFE

I have just left him a negative and his rating is now below 97%

Old August 13th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

mike maghakian wrote:

about half the stuff I buy on eBay has a notable problem, like the Pansonic
DR-49 I just got today that had a DEAD S-meter. I took apart the radio and
the S-meter had been worked on by a previous owner without success.
the sellers response to my notification is that it was sold as-is and I
should speak to the post office and leave him alone.
the auction said the radio WORKED GREAT, now how can a radio with a DEAD
S-meter be said to work great.

Does it play? Does it SOUND OK? If so, then it works great! Since you've stated
that about half the stuff you buy has a notable problem one would think by now
that you'd ask a helluva LOT of questions of the seller rather than simply
accepting at face value the statements in the ad.

You seem to have a lot of issues with eBay. You're always whining about prices,
shill bidders, etc., etc., etc.

And why, oh why is that Drake R7 still in your collection? You said you sold it,
but there it is, still in your 'collection'. How many others are no longer
there?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old August 13th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

why are you so always so annoying to other people.

I will post new pictures when I have a chance.

we all aren't bums with lots of time like you

Old August 13th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

mike maghakian wrote:

why are you so always so annoying to other people.

Oh, I don't know. Some folks just hate the truth, I guess.

I will post new pictures when I have a chance.

New pictures? Just take down the old!

we all aren't bums with lots of time like you

Yeah, some of you are just bums regardless of how much time you have or don't
have.

Oh yeah, you never did answer my question about the Gilfer modified R7. I had
asked if that sticker, or whatever it was denoting the modified selectivity's
was removable without messing up the old lettering.

Thanks for responding!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old August 13th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

mike maghakian wrote:

the sticker could be removed without any residual effects, but I consider
the sticker part of history !!!!!

Well it may be part of history but I was just wondering if it could be easily
removed if someone wanted to return it to original condition without screwing up
the face of the receiver.

Thanks,

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old August 13th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Brenda Ann wrote:
--
Say no to institutionalized interference.
Just say NO to HD/IBOC!
"mike maghakian" wrote in message
. ..
here is the response the seller gave me when I emailed him about the
broken meter and broken whip antenna and the contacts needing work and I
told him if he didn't make an adjustment I would have to leave a negative:

YOU DONT HAVE TO WAIT FOR MONDAY TO LEAVE ME A NEGATIVE FEEDBACK YOU CAN
DO IT NOW ,,, YOU OPENED UP THIS ITEM HOW THE HELL DO I KNOW YOU DIDNT
BREAK THIS RADIO,,, EVEN WHEN YOU TELL THE US POSTAL SERVICE (WHICH I MAY
ADD IM GOING TO REPORT THIS TO THEM SO YOU CAN NOT PUT IN YOUR INSURANCE
CLAIM )THEY WONT LIKE IT AND NEITHER WOULD E-BAY LIKE IT JUST LIKE I DONT
LIKE TO BE BULLIED AROUND SO YOU DO WHATEVER YOU LIKE AND NOW I WILL DO
WHAT IS RIGHT FOR MYSELF. THE UNITED STATES POST OFFICE, AND E-BAY HAVE A
GREAT LIFE

I have just left him a negative and his rating is now below 97%

If I were you, Mike, I would forward that e-mail to ebay security. Sounds
like a threat of reprisal to me.

http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/

Ebay doesn't care. I had a problem with this jerk
Lawrence K. Cozzi
using email address

I put an URL in my feedback to further explain the problem. He
complained to ebay and got the negative feedback dropped. I complained
to ebay that I should get a chance to leave the negative feedback
without the URL, but they said their system can't handle that. Obvious
bull**** on their part.

Cozzi indicated the item worked fine, but when I got it, there were
obvious problems. So the story goes, he was selling it for a friend,
who said it was working fine. Now this part I believe since if you look
at his posts, they are all related to big block Fords. THat is, he is
clueless regarding radio. His friend provided the address for the part
I needed to fix the device, which is pretty interesting considering it
was supposed to be working fine.