Old September 23rd 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default WYLF in Penn Yan, NY

Well last night I decided to fool around on MW just for the heck of it.
I was tuning around and found a station on 850, weak but definitely
listenable. Eventually I heard an ID: it was WYLF out of Penn Yan, NY.
Penn Yan is on the other (i.e., the western) side of NY State, not far
from Lake Ontario. Not exactly DX, but I looked this station up in the
FCC database and its nighttime power is a humble 0.045 KW. During the
day they get to crank it up to 1 KW.

Steve

Old September 23rd 06, 02:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Steve wrote:

Well last night I decided to fool around on MW just for the heck of it.
I was tuning around and found a station on 850, weak but definitely
listenable. Eventually I heard an ID: it was WYLF out of Penn Yan, NY.
Penn Yan is on the other (i.e., the western) side of NY State, not far
from Lake Ontario. Not exactly DX, but I looked this station up in the
FCC database and its nighttime power is a humble 0.045 KW. During the
day they get to crank it up to 1 KW.

Perhaps they forgot to cut the power. I've read some things of late that
indicate that some of those stations fail to cut their power at night for
whatever reason, sometimes apparently if they have some local sports games on
they will keep the power up to keep the local populace happy. The FCC apparently
turns a blind eye.

At any rate an interesting catch, and an interesting town name as well, almost
has an Asian sound to it.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 23rd 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

dxAce wrote:
Perhaps they forgot to cut the power. I've read some things of late that
indicate that some of those stations fail to cut their power at night for
whatever reason, sometimes apparently if they have some local sports games on
they will keep the power up to keep the local populace happy. The FCC apparently
turns a blind eye.

Indeed, WYLF was fined $11,000 in 2005 for violations including
excessive power. (not only was it running excessive power at night, but
it was also running too much during the day! - nighttime power
violations are common but daytime violations are quite rare)

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2005/DA-05-680A1.html

The owner of a daytime-only station recently sent a message to several
AM DX mailing lists indicating that there is in fact a FCC "blind eye"
towards stations that stay on daytime facilities to carry Friday-night
high-school football games. I would be very surprised if anyone at the
Commission would acknowledge such a policy, but I'm coming to believe
such a policy does exist - as the FCC would have very little trouble
finding night power violations on any given Friday night!

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old September 23rd 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Oh. Of course, what this means is that Friday evenings between local
sunset and whenever the football games end (say, 8-9pm local time at the
station?) can be a VERY productive time to put some smaller AM stations
in your log. Especially as they're likely to be running lots of local
advertising and mentioning the names of the schools frequently.

Old September 23rd 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Steve wrote:

Well last night I decided to fool around on MW just for the heck of it.
I was tuning around and found a station on 850, weak but definitely
listenable. Eventually I heard an ID: it was WYLF out of Penn Yan, NY.
Penn Yan is on the other (i.e., the western) side of NY State, not far
from Lake Ontario. Not exactly DX, but I looked this station up in the
FCC database and its nighttime power is a humble 0.045 KW. During the
day they get to crank it up to 1 KW.

My two daytimers here on 850 are WCPT, Crystal Lake, IL running 2500 W, and
WGVS, Muskegon, MI running 1000 W.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 23rd 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I used to chat with a woman via the now defunct chat room that used to
be at the Cork,Ireland,Examiner online newspaper thingy.She lives in
Muskegan,Michigan.(I have wimmins all over the World) She divorced her
hubby and she said he took all of her silverware with him.She has two
boys.That was between five to six years ago.She wound up getting
friendly with a guy in Alaska.
cuhulin

Old September 23rd 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Doug Smith W9WI wrote:

[...] I would be very surprised if anyone at the
Commission would acknowledge such a policy, but I'm coming to believe
such a policy does exist [...]

That would be admitting to either negligence or being complicit in a
crime or otherwise expose themselves to liability -- in other words,
it ain't gonna happen.

--
Eric F. Richards

"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- Myron Glass,
often attributed to J. R. Pierce, Bell Labs, c. 1940
Old September 23rd 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hello,Penn Yan.Ever heard of Painted Post before? I am busy watching an
old,old Shirley Temple movie on tv and doggy is buried down between my
knees,as usual.
cuhulin

Old September 23rd 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

www.thinkprogress.org www.devilfinder.com USS Cole Pascagoula
Mississippi

klintoon is angry because he got caught with Monica Lewinsky's blue
dress.klintoon is angry because he was IMPEACHED! klintoon is angry
because the World found out about his hiv prison blood scandal,Arkansas
and Arizona hiv prison blood.(about the same time,that PIG,elizabeth
dole [[PIG of what's his name Viagara dog fornicator,dole POS! Viagara]]
resigned from the American red cross,[Eff her!!!!] klintoon is angry
because he knows the World Hates his and hitlery Bitch!!! klintoon's
guts! klintoons are angry because they Know they are a sad bunch of Jerk
Offs!!!!!
Hey,klintoons,,, Get Angry WIth ME!!!!!!!!!
cuhulin

Old September 24th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

Hello,Penn Yan.Ever heard of Painted Post before? I am busy watching an
old,old Shirley Temple movie on tv and doggy is buried down between my
knees,as usual.
cuhulin

Nothing new there, you sick pervert. Get help.

http://snipurl.com/w380

mike

--
No, Mr. Chavez---Bush isn’t the devil. I’ve seen the devil’s work. He’s
competent.

Shakespeare's Sister
September 20, 2006