Old December 16th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default No Code Arrives!

You are confused about the First Class Radiotelephone Operator License now
being the Radiotelephone Operator Permit. The wallet card you refer to was
probably the Restricted Radio Telephone Operator Permit. However, there was
a wallet card called a license verification card that come along with the
First and Second Class licenses.

Here's a link to the straight scoop on all the commercial operator licenses:
http://wireless.fcc.gov/commoperators/

GROL certainly still exists and the FCC very much has records. Duplicates
should be available but it won't be the blue certificate you were originally
issued. They are no longer issue the nice certificates but are printed on
paper similar to the amateur licenses.
----------------------
Lost, Stolen, Mutilated, or Destroyed Licenses
You may apply for a duplicate license by submitting FCC Forms 159 (Fee
Processing Form) and 605 according to the instructions printed on the 605
application.

A fee is required. Current information on the fee amount and filing location
can be found in the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau Fee Filing Guide, FCC
Form 1070Y, or by calling the FCC's Consumer Center toll free at
1-888-CALL-FCC (225-5322). The WTB Fee Filing Guide and FCC Form 1070Y are
also available from the fax-on-demand system by dialing (202) 418-0177 from
the handset of a fax machine.

-----------------------------

When the rules changed some time back, all holders of First and Second Class
Commercial Radiotelephone Licenses were issued lifetime General Radio
Operator Licenses.

You can still get a commercial radiotelegraph operator license.!

wrote in message
oups.com...

Brenda Ann wrote:
They already do that with what was once the First Class Radiotelephone
Operator License (now the Radiotelephone Operator Permit). This is a
wallet
sized card that literally anyone who can sign their name (or an X) can
have.

This is not the same thing as a General Radiotelephone Operator License,
which all First and Second Class Radiotelephone Operator License holders
were issued when the former licenses were abolished. As far as I know,
the
GROL has also now been abolished. I can't even get a new copy of my
GROL,
as the FCC tells me they no longer issue them. So much for spending the
time
and effort to study and receive a First Phone....

About ?20? years ago GROL were given a one time oppertunity to get a
life time license,
on the yuckiest cheap paper you can imagine. When I asked the FCC
engineer I knew
he told me if I lost it it wouldn't be replaced. Last time I asked he
told me he thought
they (FCC) no longer had any records as to who held what commercial
license. He
retired about 5 years ago and died soon after from a massive stroke.

I am sure you could find an image on the web, clean it up and insert
your data
and no one would ever know, or really no one would even care.

Terry

Old December 16th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 09:39:20 -0600, Brian Hill Has Frothed:

"helmsman" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 21:32:01 -0500, He'sDoneItAgain
wrote:

Looks like "no-code" is finally here...

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-269012A1.pdf

All the CBer's should be happy.

The ham bands sound like LIDville nowadays. Have you not been listening
and
the most dysfunctional newsgroups on Usenet are amateur topic groups. I
feel
sorry for the good hams that have to put up with the ****. They should
make
the test to where anyone with a IQ of less than 120 can not apply. I
remember listening to some pretty sharp guys on the ham bands when I was
kid. Learned a lot about propagation and antennas etc.. just listening to
them. Now days you gotta dig for a good QSO. They should set a part of
the
hf bands for just CW operators and you can't operate unless you have a CW
license and they should have a test to see if your a retarded LID and if
so
you get the jackoff spectrum. I mean why not?

BH

You ever listen to some of the licensed imbeciles on the phone portion of
80 meters? I swear to ****ing god it's like listening to a CB.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Oh yea! Plow what the heck are you doing over here? I didn't know you were a
radio buff.

BH

Old December 16th 06, 05:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
BDK BDK is offline

In article . com,
says...
He'sDoneItAgain wrote:
Looks like "no-code" is finally here...
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-269012A1.pdf

maybe mr davies can check in the great liberty net now

That might make me listen again if he did, IMO, it hasn't been nearly as
fun since "Raincoat Charlie" used to key up and say something like,
"Break break for the white trash, trailer livin', Hitler worshipping,
cracker net!" Vic and the regulars would go off the deep end, and after
a little while, he would start up again, "Break BREAK for the Jew
Hating, KKK, hillbilly retardate net!!" I thought Harvey, who sounded
dead anyway, was going to have a stroke or something. Vic was asking for
his call, again and again. Was he really expecting him to give one?

A couple of times, either the "deliberate jammer" or the "illegally
operating station" would say something that would set Vic and his
minions off like my dogs do when the UPS guy bangs on the door.

I would be on the floor when someone would bait them into going to
attack mode. It was great.

BDK
Old December 16th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
BDK BDK is offline

In article , says...
cbx wrote:
Yeah, certain ethnic groups could not cut the code, so the FCC did the

Frankly, it was my experience that certain ethnic groups were unable to
handle code was not the problem.

Rather, once members of certain ethnic groups obtained licenses, they
were made to "feel uncomfortable" by certain members of the amateur
community. Being white myself, I was ashamed for some of these
operators ...

Regards,
JS

Yep, I heard them say things to people who they thought were white that
made me cringe. When I did listen on the ham bands, the Extras and
Advanced hams were some of the worst, both in the racial crap, they
broke the rules deliberately, and seemed to think they were somehow
right because the had a ticket for 50-60 years. I know one who used to
ignore calls and deliberately talk over calls he didn't "know" on 2
meters. He got a letter warning him about it, and then whined about
being "picked on".

And yes, I passed the damn code almost 35 years ago. It did nothing but
turn me off from upgrading to a General. A few contacts and I was done,
I cant think of many more unpleasant things to listen to than CW. I
gave the novice rig back to the guy I was buying it from, and tossed the
license in a drawer. I don't even know my old call.

Sadly, as this point, I don't care about HF anymore.

BDK
Old December 16th 06, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

He'sDoneItAgain wrote:
Looks like "no-code" is finally here...

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-269012A1.pdf

This sentence summarizes it very well: This change eliminates an
unnecessary regulatory burden that may discourage current amateur radio
operators from advancing their skills and participating more fully in
the benefits of amateur radio.

It's about 30 years too late, but a start in the right direction. Next
we have to eliminate the current test and replace it with something
that actually tests for skills that are important. A test that
combines knowlege of theory with the skills to safely setup and
courteously operate a station. Once potential ham passes that single
test he is granted full operating privileges on all amateur bands.
Currently licensed hams would be grandfathered in with full operating
privileges.

Old December 16th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

cbx wrote:
Yeah, certain ethnic groups could not cut the code, so the FCC did the
most illogical thing, they eliminated the code.

Which groups are those. Please provide an independent source.

Same reason our
schools now place in the 2nd 50 places in the world since 1964.

Nonsense.

You can **** and moan and say it's not politically correct, but
sometimes truth hurts.

Old December 17th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 16 Dec 2006 10:45:27 -0800, wrote:

This sentence summarizes it very well: This change eliminates an
unnecessary regulatory burden that may discourage current amateur radio
operators from advancing their skills and participating more fully in
the benefits of amateur radio.

It's about 30 years too late, but a start in the right direction.

I agree with all the above, including the time frame for when this
change should probably have been made to begin with.

Next
we have to eliminate the current test and replace it with something
that actually tests for skills that are important. A test that
combines knowlege of theory with the skills to safely setup and
courteously operate a station. Once potential ham passes that single
test he is granted full operating privileges on all amateur bands.

This approach would produce one class of license, one test, all or
nothing. I'm not sure that's in the best interests of the ARS. There
is something to be said for having an entry-level license and letting
people work their way up as their skills and experience increase.

Put another way, while there are 8-year olds who have made Extra,
they're the exception rather than the norm. We need to attract young
people to ham radio. Hitting 'em with a written test like the one for
Amateur Extra right out of the starting gate probably isn't going to
accomplish that.

Currently licensed hams would be grandfathered in with full operating
privileges.

So you're going to hand Extra privileges to everyone who currently has
a Novice, Technician, General, or Advanced? Well...I currently hold a
General class ticket, and would stand to gain significant additional
band segments on which to operate if I were to be grandfathered in at
Extra-level privileges. Nevertheless, I have to disagree with that.
The fact that the code test is being dropped does not affect the other
technical qualifications for holding a ticket.

John D. Kasupski, KC2HMZ
Tonawanda, New York
http://kc2hmz.net

Old December 17th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

Looks like "no-code" is finally here...

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-269012A1.pdf

All the CBer's should be happy.

Nahhh, they STILL couldn't pass the written!

Old December 17th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2006-12-16 08:32:48 -0500, dxAce said:

.

They did a LONG time ago, Steve. That's how the multiple choice with
published answers came about.

Even that will go by the wayside and they'll simply sign an 'X' at the
bottom of
a form.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

I seriously doubt that.

Old December 17th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On 2006-12-16 13:45:27 -0500, said:

He'sDoneItAgain wrote:
Looks like "no-code" is finally here...

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-269012A1.pdf

This sentence summarizes it very well: This change eliminates an
unnecessary regulatory burden that may discourage current amateur radio
operators from advancing their skills and participating more fully in
the benefits of amateur radio.

It's about 30 years too late, but a start in the right direction. Next
we have to eliminate the current test and replace it with something
that actually tests for skills that are important. A test that
combines knowlege of theory with the skills to safely setup and
courteously operate a station. Once potential ham passes that single
test he is granted full operating privileges on all amateur bands.
Currently licensed hams would be grandfathered in with full operating
privileges.

There ARE more relevent modes today than morse. Then again, there will
ALWAYS be folks doing morse on the air so what's the problem????