Old July 6th 07, 05:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Freeplays Outperform SONY 7600GR

Incredible but true. At 6 PM ET my SONY 7600GR could barely pick up
Detroit's WJR-760, but my Freeplay Lifeline delivered a crisp, clear
audio. I'm visiting Gambier, Ohio, about 200 miles from Detroit. A
few minutes ago my Freeplay Plus easily delivered Toronto's CHWO-740
while that station was inaudible on the SONY. Even SW stations sound
better on the Freeplays. BTW, these were side by side tests.

It's been been my experience that Freeplay makes rugged, great-
sounding radios. I realize the 7600GR has a number of enthusiasts,
but I've owned both the G and GR versions of this set and I'm quite a
bit underwhelmed.

Old July 7th 07, 05:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Jul 6, 11:09 am, Sky Captain wrote:
On Jul 6, 6:44 am, "Frank" wrote:

Your talking about the "AM Broadcast" band only, not shortwave.

"Sky Captain" wrote in message

oups.com...

Incredible but true. At 6 PM ET my SONY 7600GR could barely pick up
Detroit's WJR-760, but my Freeplay Lifeline delivered a crisp, clear
audio. I'm visiting Gambier, Ohio, about 200 miles from Detroit. A
few minutes ago my Freeplay Plus easily delivered Toronto's CHWO-740
while that station was inaudible on the SONY. Even SW stations sound
better on the Freeplays. BTW, these were side by side tests.

It's been been my experience that Freeplay makes rugged, great-
sounding radios. I realize the 7600GR has a number of enthusiasts,
but I've owned both the G and GR versions of this set and I'm quite a
bit underwhelmed.- Hide quoted text -

On shortwave the 7600GR has digital frequency readout, double
conversion, and PLL. However, both Freeplay models tend to be
sensitive to SW signals and feature much larger speakers, which
produce a more pleasant sound. This is especially true of the
Freeplay Plus, my everyday listening shortwave radio.- Hide quoted text -

Sky Captain,

While the "Freeplay Plus" Radio may do very well
or even better than the Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio
on the AM/MW Band.

It's Analog Mechanical Tuning would simply not be
as easy to use as the Sony's Digital Tuning for
Shortwave Listening (SWL).

* Two Shortwave Bands covering 3.0 to 18.1 MHz :
Would require a 'fine tuning touch' to pick-out many
of the Broadcasters that you could easily Key-in on
the Sony by using the Digital Frequency Display.

Naturally the "Freeplay Plus" Radio with a larger
speaker would be the better Radio to 'Listen To'.
But the Sony with a set of self-powered Speakers
would easily be it equal or better : Especially for
FM Stereo Radio Listening.

* "Freeplay Plus" Radio
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/wind-up...lus-radio.aspx
http://www.rwonline.com/reference-ro...freeplay.shtml
http://www.amazon.com/Freeplay-Corpo.../dp/B0000YCFCC
http://www.freeplayenergy.com/sectio...lus_manual.pdf

Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...able/0360.html
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=1627439
http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...7231&langId=-1

RigPix Info for the Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio
http://www.rigpix.com/sony/sony_icfsw7600gr.htm

eHAM Reviews of the Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1534

Medium Wave Circle and Radio Netherlands
Review of the Sony ICF-SW7600GR Radio
http://www.mwcircle.org/res-receiver-sonysw7600gr.htm

i would simply like using the sony more
because it offers greater utility ~ RHF
Old July 7th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 6, 2:44 pm, Joe Analssandrini wrote:
On Jul 6, 12:14 am, Sky Captain wrote:

Incredible but true. At 6 PM ET my SONY 7600GR could barely pick up
Detroit's WJR-760, but my Freeplay Lifeline delivered a crisp, clear
audio. I'm visiting Gambier, Ohio, about 200 miles from Detroit. A
few minutes ago my Freeplay Plus easily delivered Toronto's CHWO-740
while that station was inaudible on the SONY. Even SW stations sound
better on the Freeplays. BTW, these were side by side tests.

It's been been my experience that Freeplay makes rugged, great-
sounding radios. I realize the 7600GR has a number of enthusiasts,
but I've owned both the G and GR versions of this set and I'm quite a
bit underwhelmed.

Dear "Sky Captain,"

I'm not doubting your experience but I have to say that it doesn't
correspond with mine. I do not own one of the newer Freeplay
"Lifeline" models, but I do own three Freeplay radios: their original
AM/FM (only) Solar-powered/crank model and two of the Freeplay
original models - both the 'A" (SW 3-12 MHz) and the 'B' (SW 6-18 MHz)
and, while these are good performers within their limits, they by no
means equal the performance of any of my Sony ICF-SW7600Gs or 'GRs on
SW, FM, or (and especially) MW. My Sonys even outperform, in every
respect but sound quality (and the broadcast sound quality via the
Sony can easily be improved if desired) my GE Superadios (I, II, and
III).

As a matter of fact, in my own personal experience, I have never owned
or tried a portable radio that performs as well natively (no
additional antennas/external items) on MW as does the Sony ICF-SW7600G/
GR models.

Please note that I am not a MW DXer, but I do listen to distant
stations (including AM 740 Toronto for their great music) from time-to-
time and generally, when I do so, I use one of my Sonys.

Obviously your experience is different than mine. Yet I cannot help
but wonder if your Sonys are performing correctly. Were they purchased
new? From whom? (Just curious.)

Best,

Joe

Hi Joe,

First, let me say I've read your posts for a long time and have
tremendous respect for your contributions to the shortwave hobby, as
well as your technical knowledge, civility, and politeness--qualities
that seem to be in short supply on this board.

That said, I notice you don't own one of the newer Freeplay models.
While the the Lifeline may be hard to find, the Plus can be purchased
from both Universal and CCrane. Although both sets were designed as
emergency radios, they deliver great audio with pretty decent
sensitivity to weak SW signals. Of course, neither has direct digital
frequency readout or PLL, but the Plus does have a SW fine tuning
knob. I recommend you buy the Plus and use it with an ac adapter;
you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Regarding my Sony 7600GR, it's just a mediocre radio with a number a
bells and whistles built in. To answer Telamon's concern, I do have
the DX (news) switch on. I've checked and rechecked all the controls
and everything seems to be working correctly, but SW signal
sensitivity is weak. Also, there is an annoying background hum,
especially when I listen to a strong station, like EWTN. Actually my
G version performed much better but was plagued with a major problem:
it kept turning itself on and off on its own. I bought the G from EEB
in Vienna, Va in 1996 and the GR from Universal in 2005. I've never
had any problems with either company. I don't doubt your experiences
with Sony have been much more positive; I can only share my own story.

Thanks again for all you do, Joe.

Old July 7th 07, 12:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Sky Captain wrote:

Regarding my Sony 7600GR, it's just a mediocre radio with a number a
bells and whistles built in. To answer Telamon's concern, I do have
the DX (news) switch on.

Oops Captain, that's the tone switch.
Check the ATT-switch!
Or adjust the attenuation wheel (minimum).
You find both of them on the left-hand side of your 7600GR.

I've checked and rechecked all the controls
and everything seems to be working correctly, but SW signal
sensitivity is weak. Also, there is an annoying background hum,
especially when I listen to a strong station, like EWTN.

Rechecking the AM mode or trying a different one might help.

gr, Hein

Old July 7th 07, 12:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The 7600G[R] is a small radio and so has a small internal loop. Its
AM reception can be vastly improved by putting it next to a MW loop
(like the Terk loop). It's not bad, but it can be improved, as can
even the vaunted 2010 by a MW loop.

But the selectivity of the 7600GR, and the ability to use a sideband
to get away from adjacent channel interference, make it better for
DX than even the large good radios like the GE Superradios, once you
add the loop.

It's also improved if you don't have the attenuation switch on. WJR
ought to sound like a local on every radio.

(The 2010 is even better because its synch detection is quieter and
works discreetly on weak signals.)
--
Ron Hardin

Old July 8th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Jul 7, 12:28 am, Sky Captain wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your kind comments. I considered buying a Freeplay" Plus
model when I received the latest C. Crane catalog but, frankly, I just
cannot justify the purchase. I already own three crank-only (all made
in South Africa) Freeplays (no internal batteries at all) and, while
they perform well for what they are, they by no means equal the
performance on MW or FM of my GE Superadios, my Sonys, or my Grundig
Satellit 800. (On SW, my Freeplays are mediocre at best.)

Being that the Sonys are the quickest and most convenient radios in my
house, they are the ones I turn to first for casual listening.
Obviously, for more serious listening to MW or SW, I turn to either
the Satellit 800 or, far more often, to my AOR AR7030 Plus. But, most
of the time, the Sonys perform perfectly well for that which I wish to
hear at most times (and that includes moderately-distant MW stations
once in a while).

I am quite surprised at your mention of hum with the ICF-SW7600GR. I
use NiMH rechargeable batteries with these radios and have never heard
any hum on any band. I own a Radio Shack AC Adapter (#273-1758 with
#273-1705 adapt-a-plug) and have never heard hum with that either. (I
DID hear hum - and a great deal of it - when using Universal Radio's
MW 41-680 adapter with this radio.)

I am also surprised at your mention of weak shortwave sensitivity.
While there are a number of compact shortwave radios that are more
sensitive off the whip than is the '7600GR, this radio is generally
not bad. It has a superior dynamic range than most other compact
portables - that is why it can handle a more significant antenna
without overloading better than most other comparable radios - but,
with portables, that means it cannot have "maximum" sensitivity off
its own whip. Nonetheless, even without an auxiliary antenna, I have
been able to hear major European stations, which are transmitting
primarily to the East Coast of NA, from Southern California when I
have vacationed there in late August and early September.

I bought two '7600GRs in 2005 from Amazon. I found their construction
quality and performance to be identical with that of my previous
'7600s (3 GRs and 2 Gs). So, at least from my point of view, their
quality has not slipped. And as you already have owned a 'G model for
quite a long time, it is obvious that you are familiar with the radio
and are not operating it in an incorrect manner.

I can only conclude that you have been the victim of some very bad
luck - and that is a shame. I find the Sony ICF-SW7600GR (as well as
the G) to be excellent performers on all frequencies to which they
tune, especially in view of their low price. And I have found their
mechanical construction to be absolutely first-rate. The only major
"fly in the ointment" is musical sound quality through the internal
speaker. That, of course, is a shame as it has been shown, especially
by Eton, that good sound can be obtained from compact portable radios.
The Sony has a couple of other design flaws but these are more
acceptable, again in view of the radio's low price.

I can understand that you have had problems with your early sample
'7600G. This was quite common and very regrettable, especially in view
of the fact that Sony did nothing at all for those purchasers who
bought poorly-made units.

It is most unfortunate that you appear to have gotten a "bad example"
of a Sony ICF-SW7600GR as well!

What can I say? At least you have one radio (and hopefully more) that
allows you to hear the stations you desire. It's too bad you've had
these bad experiences with your Sonys. I can certainly understand how
even one bad experience can put a sour taste in your mouth regarding
the products of a particular company (it has happened to me!).

I do not know if Universal Radio will do anything for you at this late
date - but it might be worth a telephone call by you, especially since
their number is toll-free. They are a good outfit and just might be
willing and able to help you as it is my belief that your radio is
definitely not operating the way it should. Believe me, the design of
this radio (and its construction, at least in my experience with seven
different units) is excellent and you should be getting much better
performance than you are.

That said, of course I would not expect you to run out and buy another
one "just to compare." A bad taste is a bad taste. Two times $150.00
(actually in 1996 the 'G model cost considerably more!) and not
getting your money's worth is pretty upsetting! And third time for you
might just possibly NOT be the charm!

I really wish there were something I could say that would make you
feel better or that would offer something better than "call Universal
Radio" as a solution, but I'm afraid there is not.

I do wish you the very best of luck and I hope that somehow you can
have your ICF-SW7600GR put into proper working order. If you are able
to do so, I'll bet you'll be pleased and amazed with this radio.

Please keep us all informed of your experiences.

Best,

Joe

Old July 8th 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Back in the 1990s, I saw a Freeplay radio sitting on a shelf at the
Hudson's discount store in Brandon,Mississippi.(Brandon is about
fourteen miles East of doggy's couch) If I halfway remember, I think the
Hudson's store price tag/label on that radio was $45.00.I left that
radio sitting there.Mainly because it was made in China.Had it been made
in Africa, yes, I do believe I would have bought that radio.
cuhulin

MW reception Sony 7600GR vs Sony pocket radio Barry Carlton Shortwave 4 December 22nd 09 08:32 AM
FS Sony ICF 7600GR as new RiKk Shortwave 6 February 16th 05 12:41 AM
Sony 7600GR or... Bill Shortwave 2 November 3rd 04 01:02 AM
FS sony 7600GR Mwin33 Shortwave 2 July 7th 04 07:05 PM
$135 Sony 7600GR or $370 Grundig 800 or used $210 Sony 2010 Rambler Shortwave 7 October 15th 03 12:14 PM