Old August 12th 07, 07:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Sony ICF-S10MK2 -- Anyone here use it?

Do you recommend it for MWDX, or is it just inexpensive? Is it
selective and sensitive enough for DX? Audio good enough for solid QRZ?
Will an external outdoor antenna overload it?

-j
Old August 12th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 12, 2:46?am, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
Do you recommend it for MWDX, or is it just inexpensive? Is it
selective and sensitive enough for DX? Audio good enough for solid QRZ?
Will an external outdoor antenna overload it?

-j

I have a handful of these - from Maryland I pick up most of the 50KW
AMs at night up to 1000 miles (WHO and WWL). Considering the
possibility of HD/IBOC being approved for nighttime (but, that seems
less likely now that Mexico has objected, as HD/IBOC violates
international treaties, and Canada may follow-suit), I wouldn't spend
too much for a good AM DXing radio. Ther radio is an excellent, cheap
but good quality radio. For more on the HD/IBOC violations got he

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com/

Old August 13th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I just bought one two weeks ago to try out. First, it is a $10 radio, so it
won't match up to larger radios like the GE Super Radio. It is the best $10
portable I have own. On AM, for some reason it is a
more effective at night than daytime. At night, it pulls in tons of
stations up to 500 or so miles away and holds it own.
I suspect under good conditions it may pull in stations 1000 miles away. In
the daytime, it actually is respectable with stations up to 50 miles from
me. Two stations I consider DX material at 100 miles and 250 miles away it
is mediocre...though a SelectAntenna would likely pull them in strong used
with this radio. That being said, the GE Super Radio does a fair job on
these distant stations without help. On the FM side, it is somewhat
impressive for a $10 radio. It outdoes some of my other FM radios that cost
$40 or so. Decent FM reception, slightly below the GE Super Radio though.
So in summary, for $10 it is worth the price and does decent AM DX at night,
and worthwhile for daytime stations upto 50 miles away. FM is pretty decent.
A very good carry around portable for ball games and stuff.
. ..

Old August 13th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article 5dNvi.1059$9x4.598@trndny09, snow
wrote:

I just bought one two weeks ago to try out. First, it is a $10 radio, so it
won't match up to larger radios like the GE Super Radio. It is the best $10
portable I have own. On AM, for some reason it is a
more effective at night than daytime.

IIRC, that's because when the sun isn't hitting it, the ionoshpere is a
better reflector of radio waves. I think it's called the "F layer". I'm
too lazy to wiki it right now, and I'm sure someone here will correct
my errors. :-) [When i was in high school, i read the RAHB; i admit i
haven't kept up.]

[...]

THanks for the input!
-j
Old August 13th 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article . com,
wrote:

On Aug 12, 2:46?am, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
Do you recommend it for MWDX, or is it just inexpensive? Is it
selective and sensitive enough for DX? Audio good enough for solid QRZ?
Will an external outdoor antenna overload it?

-j

I have a handful of these - from Maryland I pick up most of the 50KW
AMs at night up to 1000 miles (WHO and WWL). Considering the
possibility of HD/IBOC being approved for nighttime (but, that seems
less likely now that Mexico has objected, as HD/IBOC violates
international treaties, and Canada may follow-suit), I wouldn't spend
too much for a good AM DXing radio. Ther radio is an excellent, cheap
but good quality radio. For more on the HD/IBOC violations got he

http://hdradiofarce.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the ideas and link.
-j

Old August 13th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article .com, RHF
wrote:

On Aug 11, 11:46 pm, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
Do you recommend it for MWDX, or is it just inexpensive? Is it
selective and sensitive enough for DX? Audio good enough for solid QRZ?
Will an external outdoor antenna overload it?

-j

JDaR,

Read the RadioIntel Report/Review -by- Dr Phil
RADIO INTEL = http://www.radiointel.com/

"The Sony ICF-S10MK2 is an "FM/AM 2-Band Pocket Radio"
GOTO = http://www.radiointel.com/review-sonys10mk2.htm
Question - "Can this inexpensive Radio be used to pursue the
hobby of AM Distance Reception (AM DX) ?"

imho - it is design as a low cost am/fm pocket radio
and it is simply that ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Small world! Reading that review is what prompted me to ask the group
for some hands-on opinions.

Thanks for providing the links -- I'm sure someone else here will also
be interested to read that review...

-j
Old August 14th 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Improving the AM/MW DX-Ability of the Sony ICF-S10MK2 Pocket Radio - Think AM/MW Loop Antenna

In article . com, RHF
wrote:

On Aug 13, 9:43 am, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
In article .com, RHF

wrote:
[...]

-j- Hide quoted text -

JDaR,

Improving the AM/MW DX-Ability of the Sony ICF-S10MK2
Pocket Radio - Think AM/MW Loop Antenna !
.
They cost more than the Sony ICF-S10MK2 AM/FM Pocket
Radio, but using it with the small Terk or RadioShack or
Slect-A-Tenna AM/MW Loop Antenna does greatly improve
the DX-Ability of this Radio.
.
READ - Two Popular AM/MW Loop Antennas
Select-A-Tenna -versus- Terk AM Advantage
http://www.radiointel.com/review-2loop.htm
-presented by RadioIntel.Com = http://www.radiointel.com/
.
Terk AM Advantage Loop Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/2774.html
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-an...advantage.aspx
.
Select-A-Tenna Model 541-M AM/MW Loop Antenna
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mwant/4316.html
http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-an...ire-model.aspx
.
Although it is no longer being made the RadoShack # 15-1853
AM (MW) Signal Booster Passive Loop Antenna can still be
found on eBay : Tunes the AM/MW Band 520 - 1710 KHz
http://cgi.ebay.com/_W0QQitemZ140146732774
.
SEARCH eBAY -for- Radio*Shack AM Loop Antenna
AM LOOP ANTENNA = http://tinyurl.com/2jhcrp
.
.
hope this helps - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}

Very helpful ideed... thank you!

Any favorite links to homebrew MW tunable iductive loops?

once again, thanks for the help,

-j

snip .

/ \
.......!.......

Old August 14th 07, 05:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article , craigm
wrote:

JoanD'arcRoast wrote:

In article .com, RHF
wrote:

[...]

This is a $10 radio. I have one and do NOT use it. It is terrible.

The radio generates its own noise which limits the useful sensitivity on AM.

The dial markings provide very little detail. You don't really know what
frequency you are receiving unless you get an ID from the station.

The AM band does not cover up to 1700 kHz.

The stiffness and the backlash in the tuning make it a bit time consuming to
accurately tune in a station.

Is it sensitive enough? - No. When compared to a Rf-2200 or 7600GR, the
ICF-S10MK2 falls a distant third. Stations that are barely audible on the
$10 radio are load and clear on the 2200.

When compared to a Sony ICF-SW10 and Realistic DX-380, the ICF-S10MK2 still
falls in 3rd place.

There are much better radios for MW DX.

If you are serious about DX, then start with a decent radio.

The comparisons were made during daytime hours with no additional antenna
other than what the radio has built in. Batteries are new.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have a Drake R8 here at home, but I was
looking for something cheap to take backpacking with a loop...

-j
Old August 14th 07, 06:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

JoanD'arcRoast wrote:

Any favorite links to homebrew MW tunable iductive loops?

once again, thanks for the help,

I don't know about favorite; but, this like, containing other links,
should get you started ... http://www.mindspring.com/~loop_antenna/

Regards,
JS
Old August 14th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 12, 2:46 am, JoanD'arcRoast wrote:
Do you recommend it for MWDX, or is it just inexpensive? Is it
selective and sensitive enough for DX? Audio good enough for solid QRZ?
Will an external outdoor antenna overload it?

-j

I would spend a few more $$ and look for a receiver with a digital
tuner. The tiny inaccurate dial on that radio would be a real PITA to
use with a loop. Move upsacle to something like a Degen DE1103 and
enjoy dxing the MW band with or without a separate loop.