Old October 5th 07, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Oops ! - It Happen on eBay Again - Oh No I Paid Too Much !

Oops ! - It Happen on eBay Again - Oh No I Paid Too Much !

RL Drake R8B Ham and Shortwave Receiver NEW IN BOX

Note the Seller Claimed - From an estate, this item was
purchased brand new by the deceased, and never opened.

Bidders :12

Total Bids : 28

Date : Oct-04-07

Closing-Final Price : US $1,725.00

eBay Item # 170153827646

just for the fum of it ~ RHF

Date : Oct-04-07

Closing-Final Price : US $1,725.00

eBay Item # 170153827646

just for the fum of it ~ RHF
.

It could be true...unlikely but possible.

I was given a Kenwood R2000, with the VHF adapter, by a retiring
coworker.

Her dad ordered it back in ?1983? and died of a massive coronary
before it arrived.
Her mom just put it in the basement and forgot about it. Her mom died
and she and
her sisters were cleaning up and found a box from Universal Radio. She
knows I
am "into", mild understatement if ever there was one, radios. I pulled
off the shipping
invoice and tried to explain that they could sell it on Ebay, but she
disagreed saying
that she wanted me to keep it because she knew I would take care of it
and use it.

The Lithium back cell was dead, so I jumpered in a "AAA" just to get
it running. I
expected some minor issues due to electrolytic capacitors "unforming"
after 24
years. but it fired right up and works great.

I was also given a new in the box HT-202 2M HT several years ago after
another
coworkers dad died right after passing his Tech and buying the HT.

So such things do happen, but not often.

And no I am not putting up on Ebay.

You simply can't have too many R2000s!

Terry

Date : Oct-04-07

Closing-Final Price : US $1,725.00

eBay Item # 170153827646

just for the fum of it ~ RHF
.

Here is another one that the eBay Seller claims :
"This is an unusually pristine nearly mint Drake R8B
communications receiver."
-and then states- There is a lot of BS offered in the
auctions for R8B receivers. One recent auction offered
an R8B that was supposedly "new" acquired by a 3rd
party and sold for $1700.00. {the former post}

DRAKE R8B SHORTWAVE/COMMUNICATIONS RECEIVER
Buy-It-Now Price $1500.oo {eBay # 200160024363}

Will it last a Day - tic toc, Tic Toc. TIC TOC ! ~ RHF
Old October 6th 07, 10:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"RHF" wrote:

[snippage]
Here is another one that the eBay Seller claims :
"This is an unusually pristine nearly mint Drake R8B
communications receiver."

Laughing at "pristine nearly mint"
The definition of pristine is
*having its original purity; uncorrupted or unsullied*

So this radio is perfect, but not really?

Old October 6th 07, 10:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Oct 6, 2:17 am, "Sanjaya" wrote:
"RHF" wrote:

[snippage]

Here is another one that the eBay Seller claims :
"This is an unusually pristine nearly mint Drake R8B
communications receiver."

Laughing at "pristine nearly mint"
The definition of pristine is
*having its original purity; uncorrupted or unsullied*

So this radio is perfect, but not really?

Sanjaya - It could have been 'minty' -a la- Radio-Mart ) ~ RHF

Date : Oct-04-07

Closing-Final Price : US $1,725.00

eBay Item # 170153827646

just for the fum of it ~ RHF
.

Golly What Could It Be ? { eBay Auction # 220159613446 }

"CURIOUS WINDER PATNET MACHINE, RADIO ANTENNA"
Old October 13th 07, 12:32 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.swap

I don't know, RHF. I've got an R8B I purchased directly from Drake,
one of the very last. Both Drake and Universal discontinued sales a
week or two after I bought mine. Mine is NOT NEW IN BOX but has sat
on a table in my bedroom getting occasional use. I've got the VHF
unit, Drake installed when new, and one of Mike's metal tuning knobs.
I've got the service manual and the IR remote thingie (never used) and
some programming software. I've got more than $1725 in the radio and
were I to sell it, I'd love to get $1725 or more, but I wouldn't
consider it a "rip-off."

Most of my casual listening is on an Eton E1 to local FM (NPR) or C-
SPAN (XM). At least once a week I listen on the R8B. It's nice for
me to own such a great radio, and were I cruising eBay, I'd not
consider $1725 too much.

I've got an almost real NEW IN BOX ICF2010, just opened twice, once by
Craig at Kiwa to install his casual FM and serious SW mods, and once
by me to check the work. I've got about $500 in that radio and, if I
were to sell it, I'd home for $500 to $700. It isn't for sale
either. Someday, my bride might sell it at MY estate sale.

Your general point that eBay can be a buyer's rip off is correct.
Maybe the buyer of this R8B paid too much. He might have put that
$1725 towards a BRAND NEW WITH WARRANTY 756PROIII or something
similar, but he might have wanted to grab the R8B while available.

Old October 15th 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 4, 9:45?pm, RHF wrote:

RL Drake R8B Ham and Shortwave Receiver NEW IN BOX

Note the Seller Claimed - From an estate, this item was
purchased brand new by the deceased, and never opened.

snip

Closing-Final Price : US $1,725.00

eBay Item # 170153827646

just for the fum of it ~ RHF

"Note the Seller Claimed - From an estate, this item was
purchased brand new by the deceased, and never opened".

Stange but in this case true. I have personal knowledge of the
seller. The original owner bought large quantities of gear, and in
many cases never opened the boxes, including two TenTec transceivers.

73 John KC0G

Old October 15th 07, 02:10 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have paid too much for a lot of things before.

Whew, I need to give doggy some breath mints.Talk about dog breath! She
was washing my face all over again like she does several times a day and
night.
Let me turn that electric fan on.
cuhulin