Old October 16th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Getting Started

Hello,

I'm new to this and have tons of questions. I've read a few FAQ's but
need some specific help. I live in Massachusetts, west of Boston on a
pond.
1. In general, will living on a pond have any negative effects on my
reception? I've been told from the wireless phone company that the
reflections of waves off the water causes some of my cell phone signal
issues.
2. I'd like to listen to eastern Europe stations - after I get
something set up is it reasonable for me to assume I will be able to
get these stations? And if so, can I get them consistently - every day/
night?
3. I have a Grundig Yachtboy 400. Is this enough of a radio?
4. I see lots of big old rigs - do I need one of these? They do look
like a lot of fun!
5. My Yacht boy has only a small jack for an external antenna (no BNC)
- so how do I rig up a good antenna?
6. What would be a good antenna? I'd prefer some inside the house rig
- even if it's more money. I was looking at Grove's AOR LA380 ANT44DS
loop antenna. Is this a good antenna / solution?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Paul

Old October 16th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

pmf@rustyskydotcom wrote:
Hello,

I'm new to this and have tons of questions. I've read a few FAQ's but
need some specific help. I live in Massachusetts, west of Boston on a
pond.
1. In general, will living on a pond have any negative effects on my
reception? I've been told from the wireless phone company that the
reflections of waves off the water causes some of my cell phone signal
issues.

Your pond should not affect short wave reception at all. Short wave is
nominally 3 to 30 megaHz (MHz) while cell phones are 800 MHz and up,
depending on your provider and the system in use in your area; BTW, it
sounds like the cellphone folks might be blowing a little smoke... :-)

2. I'd like to listen to eastern Europe stations - after I get
something set up is it reasonable for me to assume I will be able to
get these stations?

Yes

And if so, can I get them consistently - every day/
night?

No, not reasonable to assume. It won't necessarily be "consistently -
every day/night" due to short wave propagation -- sun spots, coronal
mass ejections (CMEs) and other radio propagation variables. This won't
be consistent like your normal, local AM/FM outlets. However (and
generally speaking), you should be good to go most of the time.

3. I have a Grundig Yachtboy 400. Is this enough of a radio?

Yes

4. I see lots of big old rigs - do I need one of these? They do look
like a lot of fun!

No and yes. No, you don't -need- one and yes, they are a lot of fun!

5. My Yacht boy has only a small jack for an external antenna (no BNC)
- so how do I rig up a good antenna?

See answer below.

6. What would be a good antenna? I'd prefer some inside the house rig
- even if it's more money. I was looking at Grove's AOR LA380 ANT44DS
loop antenna. Is this a good antenna / solution?

You will get a wide and varied response to this question --sort of like
asking what's more fun, blonds, brunettes or redheads. Generally
speaking, my opinion is a 10 or 20 foot random length simple wire
antenna outside is better than an indoor antenna -- but again, I am sure
you will receive many and varied opinions!

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Paul

You're welcome!

help me get started please [email protected] Scanner 9 January 3rd 06 09:54 PM
Getting started in Electronics [email protected] Shortwave 5 December 29th 05 03:46 AM
Getting Started Jennie Shortwave 6 October 11th 04 11:18 PM
HOW DO I GET STARTED? reignman General 2 April 1st 04 02:08 AM
How to Get Started? Taj Haslani Shortwave 1 August 31st 03 04:02 PM