Old March 27th 08, 01:42 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Kaito KA2100 vs Sony ICF-SW7600 vs Sangean ATS909/ATS505 vsGrundig G5

On Mar 26, 10:00 pm, Igor wrote:
I plan on buying a portable shortwave receiver, and am only
considering models that I can purchase new. So far, the ones that have
caught my attention are the Kaito KA2100, Sony ICF-SW7600, Sangean ATS
909, Sangean ATS 505, and the Grundig G5.

I'd like to hear from people who own one or more of these sets.
Obviously, I'm not looking for a feature/spec comparison, as I can do
that on my own. What I want are opinions on build quality, ease of
use, real-life effectiveness, etc.

TIA.
--
A search engine that doesn't spy on you -http://clusty.com/

http://www.radiointel.com/review-etone5.htm

GENERAL USE TESTS & COMPARISONS WITH OTHER RADIOS

After using the E5 for several days I am very impressed with this
little radio. It is the most sensitive radio in this size I have ever
tested (matched by the DE1103/KA1103 of course). I plugged in the
supplied SW wire antenna and my reception improved noticeably. It
gives a real boost to weak daytime SW signals...with it the E5 will pull
in most of what's available on any SW portable radio...yes it really is
that good! I tuned in AFRTS and a few Hams and can verify that SSB
performance was solid and stable. The Local /DX switch often improved
things substantially in this mode. I have other more sophisticated
radios which make tuning SSB a bit easier and allow more control over
SSB reception, but for a small travel portable the E5 acquitted itself
very nicely in SSB mode.

Comparing it with my trusty Sony 7600GR, the E5 proved slightly more
sensitive on AM & SW and noticeably more sensitive and selective on
FM. But before anyone exaggerates this comparison let me put it into
perspective.

Tuning for extremely faint daytime AM and SW signals...ones which I
could barely hear at all, there was just a SLIGHT superiority in the
E5. For example, WWV on 15 MHz was coming in weakly one afternoon...it
was just at the threshold of audibility where I could hear the tone
reliably enough to set a clock by it. As this signal faded in and out
of the noise, it remained a bit longer on the E5 than on the 7600GR.
The difference was slight, but always in favor of the E5. Listening
for the beeps which occur exactly on each minute there were several
times I heard it on the E5 while the 7600GR had only hiss. As the
signal faded in a bit more it became more equal on the two radios...so
as signal levels rise a bit the two radios become closer.

Old March 27th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I have a 7600GR & a G-5. The 7600 is better built but the G-5 sounds
considerably better. If your primary intrest is DX, the 7600 has an
edge (although the G-5 is every bit as sensitive). The G-5 is much
better for general all around listening. I put my 7600 back in the box
to keep for later and use the G-5 bedside, and to take along in the
motor home. I also have an E-100 for a pocket radio, that works better
than you would expect.
On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 19:00:48 -0700, Igor
wrotF:

I plan on buying a portable shortwave receiver, and am only
considering models that I can purchase new. So far, the ones that have
caught my attention are the Kaito KA2100, Sony ICF-SW7600, Sangean ATS
909, Sangean ATS 505, and the Grundig G5.

I'd like to hear from people who own one or more of these sets.
Obviously, I'm not looking for a feature/spec comparison, as I can do
that on my own. What I want are opinions on build quality, ease of
use, real-life effectiveness, etc.

TIA.

adder

Old March 27th 08, 08:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008 22:28:16 -0400, "Unrevealed Source"
wrote:

I have had, and still have, many portable radios. I am VERY pleased with
the G5, in all respects.

Jeff

A few of the reviewers at eHam
(http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6815) have reported
quality-control issues with the G5. One guy even says he got 3 bad
G5's in a row! Have you had any such experiences with your G5? (This
question also goes for the other Jeff who responded.)
--
A search engine that doesn't spy on you - http://clusty.com/

Old March 27th 08, 09:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

I plan on buying a portable shortwave receiver, and am only
considering models that I can purchase new. So far, the ones that have
caught my attention are the Kaito KA2100, Sony ICF-SW7600, Sangean ATS
909, Sangean ATS 505, and the Grundig G5.

I'd like to hear from people who own one or more of these sets.
Obviously, I'm not looking for a feature/spec comparison, as I can do
that on my own. What I want are opinions on build quality, ease of
use, real-life effectiveness, etc.

TIA.

UPDATE: I'd also like to hear comments from anyone who has used the
Kaito KA1103.
--
A search engine that doesn't spy on you - http://clusty.com/
Old March 28th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Kaito KA2100 vs Sony ICF-SW7600 vs Sangean ATS909/ATS505 vs Grun

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 00:15:01 GMT, m II wrote:

rainguy wrote:

From what I've read, the Sangean 909 is inferior to the other 3.

I haven't found that to be the case. I tried the 7600 before buying and
found the sync function didn't do anything. That and the lack of real
tuning knob pushed me towards the 909. I liked it well enough to get a
dx-398 from Radio shack to keep it company.

http://www.radiointel.com/portwars.htm

http://members.verizon.net/~vze20h45...ats909faq.html

mike

All right..........another 909/398 vs 7600g(r) debate!! In true SNL
(original version) I must respond: Mike you ignorant slut!

I have the RatShack 398 and 7600G and have found that their weaknesses
are almost complementary. For instance, I like the 40 Hz tuning of
SSB on the 398 vs the clarifier on the Sony - they each work but the
398 is a bit 'easier' for me to use. Agree with you on the tuning
knob, do miss it on the 7600G. Memory is much better in the 398 and
it has the variable attenuator. However there have been many
instances in which I've found the 7600 picks up a station with better
clarity & less noise than the 398 - using the same external antenna.
For general listening with an external antenna they are often the
same, again the weak signals have been better received on the 7600G.
On the whip the 7600G wins as I've found the 398 nearly deaf, likewise
if only using a 20 foot (or so) wire the Sony still wins. The sound
is different on each and I believer 'better' or 'worse' is truly a
personal preference - for me the Sony is 'clearer' and I can better
discern the spoken word. Synch on the 7600G I have works okay -
though it often helps I can't say it makes the difference between
copying a station or not. As far as bang for the buck, a bit more
compactness and battery economy the 7600G wins from my perspective.

Greenhornet
Old March 29th 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

All right..........another 909/398 vs 7600g(r) debate!! In true SNL
(original version) I must respond: Mike you ignorant slut!

I want the ring back.

mike
Old March 29th 08, 02:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"m II" wrote in message news:yZlHj.2697$pb5.1556@edtnps89...
wrote:

All right..........another 909/398 vs 7600g(r) debate!! In true SNL
(original version) I must respond: Mike you ignorant slut!

I want the ring back.

mike

The KA2100 doesn't have ssb
vangellis

Old March 29th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I own all the radios being discussed in this thread, so I thought I'd
add my impressions:

1. The G5, E5, and the 1103 are basically the same radio in in
slightly different boxes. Very sensitive off the whip, decent audio,
which is even better if listening through earphones. They are tiny,
but I have no problem even with my fat, puffy, little fingers. I'm
also really impressed by the selectivity/audio tradeoff on the narrow
filter. The DE1102 is also similar, but even smaller.

2. For DXing the Sony 7600G or GR gets the nods. Handles external
antennas much better and the selectable sync really helps dig out DX
in crowded band conditions. The lack of a tuning knob is a drag. It
does resolve USB/LSB better that the previous radios.

3. The Radio Shack DX-398 is the same as the Sangean ATS-909. Not very
sensitive off the whip, but handles externals like a desktop receiver
does. Smaller tuning resolution increments allow good SSB
clarification. These radios do eat AA batteries like candy.

4. The KA2100 is the N American version of the Redsun RP2100. I was
lucky enough to acquire one of these just last week. It really rocks!
Awesome sensitivity, big numerals on the digital display, large enough
speaker to deliver quality audio - which is helped by the inclusion of
separate and contiuous bass and treble controls. Probably the best FM
reception of any portable I own. Also, ties with the 7600GR for best
MW reception. It's larger than the other radios in this thread, but
still portable. While it does not receive SSB-clarified signals, an
after-market BFO is available and can be attached to the IF out
receptacle.

Some folks also include the old Grundig Yacht Boy-400 in these
comparisons, but I think it's clearly inferior.

http://www.radiointel.com/portwars.htm

Mike Bryant
Louisville, KY