Old April 30th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Kaito KA2100 external SW antenna impedance?

I'm getting a KA2100 .
Has anyone installed an external SW antenna for it?
I'm wondering how much signal it can take... and the impedance of the PAL
connection
(I have an F to PAL adapter, F connector coax and will get a balun if
needed).

Old May 1st 08, 12:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

Default Kaito KA2100 Radio's External SW Antenna Impedance ? [PAL ConnectorInfo]

On Apr 30, 3:10*pm, "Sanjaya" wrote:

- I'm getting a KA2100 .

Nice choice in a very good 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio.
Same Radio as the Redsun RP2100
[Kaito KA2100 & CCRadio SW]

- Has anyone installed an external SW antenna for it?

Usually use a "PAL" to "F" Connector Adapter with RG-6
Quad-Shield {TV Type} Coax Cable.
RadioShack Catalog # 278-265 = http://tinyurl.com/bcbfw

-Or- a short So-239 Plug to PAL Connector 'adapter' Cable*
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...table/1052.jpg
* Universal-Radio.Com Item # 1052

ABOUT - The PAL Connector plus PAL-to-F Adapters
and a lot more . . .
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...1f34e5bbcaecb8

- I'm wondering how much signal it can take...

I use the same Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL) Antennas
with the Redsun RP2100 [Kaito KA2100 & CCRadio SW]
as i do with the Grundig Satellit 800-M and Eton E1 Radios
and the Icom IC-R75 and Kenwood R-5000 Receivers.

The Redsun RP2100 [Kaito KA2100 & CCRadio SW] has
a very useful, effective and fuctional RF Gain Control :
Just Use It As Needed.

- and the impedance of the PAL connection

The Issue is not so much the Impedance of the type of
Connector as the type of Coax Cable being used with
that Connector. The 25~100 Feet of Coax Cable is
going to have a greater impact on the Impedance that
the Radio's Antenna Input 'sees'; then any 2" Connector.

The "F" and PAL Connectors are mainly used with
RG-59 and RG-6 Coax Cable so 'figure' 75 Ohms
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RG-59
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RG-6

So 'consider' The External Shortwave Antenna Input
to be Low Impedance "LO-Z" : 40 Ohms ~ 120 Ohms

-vice- High Impedance "HI-Z" 300 Ohms ~ 800+ Ohms
Designed for the Twin Terminals of most Radios.

- (I have an F to PAL adapter, F connector coax
- and will get a balun if needed).

Since most of the time a Coax Cable will be being
used with the PAL Connector pluged into the Radio :
The -if- a Long Wire {Random Wire} Antenna is being
used a 9:1 Matching Transformer should be used
between the Antenna and Coax Cable.

A Dipole or Loop Antenna 'connected' to the Coax
Cable would not be required -but- a 4:1 Matching
Transformer could also be used between these types
of Balance Antennas and Coax Cable.

- Sanjaya,

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}
Old May 1st 08, 01:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"RHF" wrote...

[snips]

Since most of the time a Coax Cable will be being
used with the PAL Connector pluged into the Radio :
The -if- a Long Wire {Random Wire} Antenna is being
used a 9:1 Matching Transformer should be used
between the Antenna and Coax Cable

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF

Yes, very much. Thank you.
Old May 1st 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Sanjaya schrieb:

I'm getting a KA2100 .
Has anyone installed an external SW antenna for it?
I'm wondering how much signal it can take... and the impedance of the PAL
connection
(I have an F to PAL adapter, F connector coax and will get a balun if
needed).

There is a resistive matching network at the antenne input to give an
impedance of between 50 and 75 ohms, so no extra un-un is needed. In
stronger signal locations, however, I would strongly suggest using a
preselector or tuned antenna, as the set is quite sensitive to 2nd order
intermod.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
Weniger Meer ist mehr Mehr.
Old May 1st 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Good post RHF - my Redsun RP2100 works beautifully with my DX! Pro. It
came from China with a PAL to coax adapter. The DX1 is 50 Ohms and
delivers a huge signal to the RP2100 which handles it beautifully, but
as RHF says, needs judicial use of the RF control.
Good DX and happy listening.

South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
Icom IC-7700, Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8. ERGO software
Sony 7600D, GE SRIII, Redsun RP2100
BW XCR 30, Sangean 803A.
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro Mk II, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop.
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

On May 1, 1:14*am, RHF wrote:
[...]

*.
Are You Interested in building a better Shortwave Listening*
(SWL) Antenna ? {SWL Group} =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
*.
RHF's Standard "Shortwave Radio Listener (SWL) Antennas Group"
Reference Message Signature-Line =http://tinyurl.com/25zbrghttp://grou...1dac3b4a1798e0
*.
* Remember 55.5% of Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL)
is the Shortwave Antenna =http://tinyurl.com/ogvcf
*.
RHF's Radio Shack in Twain Harte, California -USA-
SHACK INFO =http://tinyurl.com/2skmxm
Shortwave Radio / Receiver and SWL Antenna Info
*.
-=2SKMXM=-
-=25ZBRG=-
SWR3:SWL:INFO
*.

Old May 1st 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
RHF wrote:

SNIP
hope this helps - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}

SNIP

It didn't help.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 1st 08, 05:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

RHF wrote:

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}

Thank you for your many shortwave related postings. I, for one, am
getting sick of the attacks on you. It would appear not all the children
went back to school last fall.

What is the best PASSIVE loop design you've come across?

mike
Old May 1st 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Apr 30, 6:06*pm, Stephan Grossklass
wrote:
Sanjaya schrieb:

I'm getting a KA2100 .
Has anyone installed an external SW antenna for it?
I'm wondering how much signal it can take... and the impedance of the PAL
connection
(I have an F to PAL adapter, F connector coax and will get a balun if
needed).

- There is a resistive matching network at the antenne input
- to give an impedance of between 50 and 75 ohms, so no
- extra un-un is needed. In stronger signal locations, however,
- I would strongly suggest using a preselector or tuned antenna,
- as the set is quite sensitive to 2nd order intermod.
-
- Stephan
- --
- Home:http://stephan.win31.de/
- Weniger Meer ist mehr Mehr.

SGk - Is Right.

Except for AC Mains "Noise Isolation" there is no need
for an 1:1 UnUn at the back of the Radio : Especially
-if- you are using Battery Power and a Balance Antenna
like a Dipole {Windom} or a {Horizontal} Loop.

However -if- you are using AC Mains to Power the Radio
-and- a Long Wire {Random Wire} Antenna -then- using
a 9:1 Matching Transformer 'between' the Coax Cable
feed-in-line and the single Wire Antenna along with a
Ground Rod is the recommended method of getting the
Maximum Signal from your Antenna to the Radio with
the least Noise.

iane ~ RHF
Old May 2nd 08, 03:41 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ZGbSj.3523$XI1.631@edtnps91, m II wrote:

RHF wrote:

hope this helps - iane ~ RHF {pomkia}

Thank you for your many shortwave related postings. I, for one, am
getting sick of the attacks on you. It would appear not all the children
went back to school last fall.

No thanks from me. Get lost news group retard.

What is the best PASSIVE loop design you've come across?

The only passive loop design he has come across is from me, which was
forgotten nanoseconds after he read the post.

Go knock back a few more beers Mikey.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 2nd 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,

wrote:
Sanjaya schrieb:

[...]

The problem here is you are an idiot and so what you post is just crap.
Read at your own risk.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California