Old August 4th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default CCrane Radio Plus

Is this radio really as good as they say? The price has been reduced
and I am thinking of getting one. Would there be a better choice?
Mainly interested in AM listening.

Thanks
Old August 4th 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 02:27:20 UTC, Scott Nelson
wrote:

Is this radio really as good as they say? The price has been reduced
and I am thinking of getting one. Would there be a better choice?
Mainly interested in AM listening.

Thanks

For $10 more, you can have the CCRadioSW. It has the built in Twin
Ferrite core antenna and has the best MW I have heard. I bought one
and am very pleased with it.

Old August 4th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

--

I have both the CCRadio and the CCRadioSW and the CCRadio OUTPERFORMS
the CCRadioSW on the medium (AM) band. The CCRadioSW has better

The built-in Twin Ferrite core antenna in the CCRadioSW is a joke as
far as I am concerned. It's NOT anything comparable to the stand-
alone Twin Ferrite core antenna that C Crane offers.
Old August 4th 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

If you are gonna spend that kind of money for MW, just go to Epay and try
for a GE Superadio II. Mine blows the balls off any of my other radios,
including the RP-2100. (CC-SW is the same unit) Mine picks up AM740 Toronto
during the day here in central Pa. Unheard of! Nothing else I have comes
close.

Rich

Old August 4th 08, 06:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 16:19:10 UTC, wrote:

wrote:
[...]

I also have an RF-2200 and the CCRadioSW/RP-2100 equals its
performance. I bought the radio on recommendation from John Plimmer,
one of the good guys on this group. I am in South Florida and listen
to NE stations all the time: Philly, NYC, Boston, DC, and others and
they come in very clear. I can understand that the "built in" twin
ferrite is not the same as the standalone, but it is very sensitive
and it allowed me to pick up Saudi Arabia on 1521 right next to
Buffalo, NY on 1520.

Old August 4th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

Then again, being in S. Florida, you were certainly in a good position to get a
null on Buffalo, and get decent reception of Saudi Arabia.

Old August 4th 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

Ace,
I am only one mile from the beach, but down here we are swamped by
Cuban stations on the AM band! If not Cuban, then Miami Cuban stations
all over the dial. I have not yet been able to pick up any European
MW stations due to all the "interference"! Maybe I will do as John
suggested and take the radio to the beach at night, of course I will
have to avoid the beach patrol that keeps people off the beach after
8pm!
Old August 4th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
[...]

Get some sand coloured fatigues, and dig in.

Old August 4th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Aug 4, 7:45*pm, "Count Floyd" For $10 more, you can have the
CCRadioSW. *It has the built in Twin
Ferrite core antenna and has the best MW I have heard. *I bought one
and am very pleased with it.
--

I also have an RF-2200 and the CCRadioSW/RP-2100 equals its
performance. *I bought the radio on recommendation from John Plimmer,
one of the good guys on this group. *I am in South Florida and listen
to NE stations all the time: Philly, NYC, Boston, DC, and others and
they come in very clear. *I can understand that the "built in" twin
ferrite is not the same as the standalone, but it is very sensitive
and it allowed me to pick up Saudi Arabia on 1521 right next to
Buffalo, NY on 1520.- Hide quoted text -

Hey! your my biggest fan = thanks for marking my card.......
Enjoy your RP2100, it's the best MW DX radio portable I've ever owned,
and that's many.

Great catch getting Saudi Arabia 1521 over Buffalo - congratulations
and well done.
Surely if you take your radio to the beach you are going to get some
astonishing reception. The really faint far off DX starts to come in
some 40 minutes before official sunset, so you should try that and
expect the unexpected and some pleasant surprises.

Good luck and have fun

JP
Old August 5th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 21:27:20 -0500, Scott Nelson
wrote:

Is this radio really as good as they say? The price has been reduced
and I am thinking of getting one. Would there be a better choice?
Mainly interested in AM listening.

Thanks

I have two, a CCRadio and a CCRadio Plus. There used to be a problem
with the display burning out, but that's been fixed. If you buy from
CCrane, they will service it if there are problems.

It's fine for AM listening, but I couldn't tell you if it is better
than other receivers. It has a built-in 8-inch ferrite AM antenna, and
accepts an external AM antenna and ground wire.

I also have the GE SuperRadio, which is a lot cheaper but has a better
speaker setup, altho it has an analogue dial that isn't too accurate.
Still, it has an 8-inch ferrite antenna and receives AM well. It
accepts external AM or FM antennas for longer reception.

Another option would be either of these radios with the Select-a-tenna
tuner coil which really pulls in distant AM stations, but only if they
are reasonably in the clear, frequency-wise.

bob
k5qwg