Old October 25th 08, 03:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Grundig S350 or the S350 Deluxe ?¿

Hey there! I'm considering purchasing a Grundig. It will be my first SW
radio, and so I don't have a whole lot of experience. Was in the Signal
Corps in army and have always liked dx'ing, altho I didnt know it was called
that. Anyhow...what is the difference between the s350 and the deluxe, and
is it worth the extra $$$ ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rob

Old October 25th 08, 04:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Rob H wrote:
Hey there! I'm considering purchasing a Grundig. It will be my first SW
radio, and so I don't have a whole lot of experience. Was in the Signal
Corps in army and have always liked dx'ing, altho I didnt know it was
called that. Anyhow...what is the difference between the s350 and the
deluxe, and is it worth the extra $$$ ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rob

Rob. you may want to pass on this one. had one here for
a week and took it back. can't hold a freq. drifts like
crazy. lot of decent receivers out there, some for less.
you might want to read the reviews on eHam.com. good
place to start. but, every one remembers there first radio.
hope you pick yourself a good one to start with. check
the used list at Universal.com. good people there.

Drifter...
Old October 25th 08, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Rob H" wrote in message
Hey there! I'm considering purchasing a Grundig. It will be my first SW
radio, and so I don't have a whole lot of experience. Was in the Signal
Corps in army and have always liked dx'ing, altho I didnt know it was
called that. Anyhow...what is the difference between the s350 and the
deluxe, and is it worth the extra $$$ ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rob

Rob,

I have an S350 amd it work very well. It does drift but a minor adjustment
gets it right where it started. Supposedly the S350 Deluxe eliminates the
drifting issue. Whatever. Outside of being able to lock in stations with
the Deluxe I don't think there is a bit of difference between the S350 and
the S350 Deluxe. For the price it's not a bad unit.

Oz

Old October 25th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Oz" wrote in message

I have an S350 amd it work very well. It does drift but a minor
adjustment gets it right where it started. Supposedly the S350 Deluxe
eliminates the drifting issue. Whatever. Outside of being able to lock
in stations with the Deluxe I don't think there is a bit of difference
between the S350 and the S350 Deluxe. For the price it's not a bad unit.

The S350 Deluxe has a larger speaker for better sound, and the above
mentioned fix for the drifting. I use my S350's mainly for AM/FM
listening, and drifting is not much of an issue there. They can be found
for $50 - $60 on eBay.

Old October 25th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Hot damn - a real shortwave post!!

I must agree with Drifter on this radio. I've bought literally dozens
of different SW portables over the past few years (so many that
relatives are threatening to put me way), and the S350 is probably the
most disappointing. It drifts and it's single conversion circuitry
allows so many false images through that you'll be left practically
guessing as to whether the station you're hearing is really on the
frequency listed or whether you are indeed listening to an image. It
has a non-standard antenna receptacle that leaves you with little
choice but to connect an external to the antenna rod via an alligator
clip. I tried the Deluxe model, and while it did have less drift, the
problems with images seemed just as annoying. The audio, however, is
impressive on both versions, due to the larger speaker.

Drifter is also right that there are plenty of better alternatives. I
suggest looking at an Eton E5 (also packaged as the G5 or Grundig 5).
It's an extremely sensitive radio, much smaller than the larger S350,
but with far more functions, including the possibility of listening to
SSB signals from hams, utilities, and even a few non-satellite
military comms. The E5 is also sold in a slightly less ergonomic (but
cheaper) package and called the Degen DE1103. Both have surprisingly
good audio for a radio almost small enough to fit in a shirt pocket.
If you can't find these at a local store, check eBay where a number of
reliable vendors are selling them directly new from mainland China.
The E5 goes for around $100 and the 1103 goes for about $75, which
includes shipping.

Good luck!

Mike
Louisville, KY

Old October 25th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Oct 24, 7:32*pm, "Rob H" wrote:
Hey there! I'm considering purchasing a Grundig. It will be my first SW
radio, and so I don't have a whole lot of experience. Was in the Signal
Corps in army and have always liked dx'ing, altho I didnt know it was called
that. Anyhow...what is the difference between the s350 and the deluxe, and
is it worth the extra $$$ ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rob

The Redsun RP2100 is a better portable Radio for
Shortwave Radio Listening (SWL)
http://www.radiointel.com/review-redsunrp2100.htm

-aka- C.Craine SW Radio
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/shortwa...cradio-sw.aspx

~ RHF
Old October 26th 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 24, 9:32 pm, "Rob H" wrote:
Hey there! I'm considering purchasing a Grundig. It will be my first SW
radio, and so I don't have a whole lot of experience. Was in the Signal
Corps in army and have always liked dx'ing, altho I didnt know it was called
that. Anyhow...what is the difference between the s350 and the deluxe, and
is it worth the extra $$$ ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rob

Buy yourself a Sony ICF-SW7600GR which is manufactured in Japan. It is
far superior to the s350 "Grundig" which is just another made in China
piece of junk. Grundig once stood for quality and fine workmanship but
that ended when the Chinese acquired the right to badge their junk
with the name.

The Sony ICF-SW7600GR is the product of great craftsmanship with
outstanding performance and will last you a lifetime.

In short, it is the polar opposite of the s350.

A.W.S.
President
Gay, Lesbian, Transgendered Shortwave Club
Old October 26th 08, 05:20 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Oct 24, 7:32 pm, "Rob H" wrote:
Hey there! I'm considering purchasing a Grundig. It will be my first SW
radio, and so I don't have a whole lot of experience. Was in the Signal
Corps in army and have always liked dx'ing, altho I didnt know it was called
that. Anyhow...what is the difference between the s350 and the deluxe, and
is it worth the extra $$$ ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rob

I have both the S350 and the S350 deluxe as well as the CCRadio-SW. I
would pass on the Grundig and go with the CCRadio-SW. It might cost a
little more, but you will be much happier with it.

Problem with the S350 - drifting is terrible.
Problem with the S350 Deluxe - when the frequency lock kicks it makes
it hard to tune to an adjacent station. Both models are very
sensitive, but on both models it it hard to tune in stations,
especially on shortwave.

The CCRadio-SW is possibly slightly more sensitive on both MW and SW,
plus much more sensitive on FM, is easy to tune, and has better sound,
and more features. Well worth the extra cost. The CCRadio-SW is a
radio you would probably be satisfied with for many years.
Old October 29th 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The hottest SW for the money right now is the CCrane SW or Kaito KA- 2100
(same)

http://www.justechn.com/2007/09/01/ccrane-ccradio-sw

http://www.ccrane.com/radios/shortwa...cradio-sw.aspx

http://www.ciao.com/C_Crane_CCRadio_SW__15537105

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6603

I've got an E1, R-75, R 8, R71A, Sony 2010's etc etc but this one and the
new Grundig 750 and Grundig G5/Eton E5 are the ones I use the most for
portables.

You won't be sorry if you buy this one!

"Rob H" wrote in message
Hey there! I'm considering purchasing a Grundig. It will be my first SW
radio, and so I don't have a whole lot of experience. Was in the Signal
Corps in army and have always liked dx'ing, altho I didnt know it was
called
that. Anyhow...what is the difference between the s350 and the deluxe, and
is it worth the extra $$$ ?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rob

Grundig S350 -or- Eton S350 DL AM/FM {Shortwave} "Superadios" - The Good and The Bad . . . RHF Shortwave 1 April 11th 06 06:51 AM
Eton S350 DL -=V=- Grundig S350 : Audio Quality and Sound Output ? RHF Shortwave 0 October 27th 05 02:54 AM
S350 DL (deluxe) now available jamulc Shortwave 22 June 26th 05 11:09 PM
FS: Grundig S350 Chris Dorn Shortwave 0 February 25th 04 04:47 PM
Grundig S350 'Super Radio' Tecsun BCL-2000 [Was: Tecsun BCL-2000 Preview (Grundig S350) Gary Shortwave 1 February 16th 04 11:16 PM