Old November 23rd 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Can't wait for ibiquitys inflated Christmas sales figures this year!!

"Rfburns" wrote in message
Bob, Bob, Bob. You're pathetic! Digital doesn't mean better. I'm
embarrased at you!

For audio/video, it does. Do you think that 100 year old AM technology
can't be improved? Or are you one of those "tubes 4ever" people?

Look, I have loads of tube radios here. More than you can imagine.
Philcos, Zeniths, an E. H. Scott. I listen to them every day, mainly
things that I broadcast myself. Yes, they sound (mostly) very nice. But
if you think digital is not better then you are simply a luddite.

I'm not claiming that the current AM HD system is the best we can do.
Clearly it is not. But at least someone is *trying* to bring AM into the
21st century. We should not be cheering at its failure.

Old November 24th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bob Campbell wrote:
"Rfburns" wrote in message
Bob, Bob, Bob. You're pathetic! Digital doesn't mean better. I'm
embarrased at you!

For audio/video, it does. Do you think that 100 year old AM technology
can't be improved? Or are you one of those "tubes 4ever" people?

Look, I have loads of tube radios here. More than you can imagine.
Philcos, Zeniths, an E. H. Scott. I listen to them every day, mainly
things that I broadcast myself. Yes, they sound (mostly) very nice.
But if you think digital is not better then you are simply a luddite.

I'm not claiming that the current AM HD system is the best we can do.
Clearly it is not. But at least someone is *trying* to bring AM into
the 21st century. We should not be cheering at its failure.

You can easily build survival radios that transmit and receive AM or CW.
Therefore, we should therefore maintain a vital analog presence, at
least below 30 MHz.

Old November 24th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 23, 10:21 pm, Dave wrote:
Dave wrote:
Bob Campbell wrote:
"Rfburns" wrote in message
[...]

Dave - You're exactly right. AM radio should stay as it is. It's
simple, works extremely well through marginal conditions and receivers
are easy to make are cheap to build. Too bad the FCC is too stupid to
understand this or too compromised by influences from big business.
(Probably the latter)

I'm so tired of people ignorantly flapping their gums about digital
this and digital that. Not every service should become digital.
Someday Bob will understand this. Shame on you Bob.
Old November 24th 08, 09:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 23, 1:55*pm, "Hall Monitor2" wrote:
wrote in message

On Nov 23, 7:18 am, Rfburns wrote:

On Nov 23, 3:45 am, wrote:

On Nov 22, 7:27 pm, Telamon

wrote:
In article
,

Rfburns wrote:
On Nov 22, 7:07 pm, wrote:
On Nov 22, 4:41 pm, Telamon

wrote:

The last time I looked a few months ago there was still no news
of HD
integrated chips on the web sites of the semiconductor
manufactures that
made press releases to that effect. All I can find are press
releases
that claim future development. I can not find any progress on
those
developments so as far as I know they are all vaporware.

No new HD integrated chips = no new low power designed radios.

If anyone has a link to samples, actual production, or data
sheets of HD
integrated chips please post a link to them.

SiPort SP1010
chiphttp://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=210102036

But, it looks like the electric chair for Mr.
RFBurns:http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_11027673

I understand that SiPort test engineer Jing Hua Wu flipped out when
told to work on HD radio chips. To quote him - "HD radio is junk
technology. It's a worthless endeavor and I won't do it." The he got
a gun and the rest is history.

Can't blame him for not wanting to do it myself.

The news links you are posting are secure. I can't get to it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

The short story is a test engineer at SiPort killed 3 other employees:
CEO, operations manager, and HR. The reality is the project can go
forward without these people. No flames please. I know the chip
business. This doesn't kill the project presuming the money still
flows.

I worked in one chip company where a designer got hit by a car and
pretty much that killed the design due to temporary amnesia. He
recovered nicely though.

None of this matters as HD radio is dead anyway. Thank God.

Oh, HD is crappy technology for sure. However, they can still deliver
the new chipset. [Silicon Valley is full of "living dead" companies
and technologies. People throw good money after bad in an attempt to
save the initial investment. Venture Capitalists don't understand
technology. They just throw darts. Of course, the one good dart pays
for all the crap they finance and then some.]

It's a shame the radio biz doesn't spend more time on content creation

rather than useless technology.

You are assuming they don't?

Actually, useless is to kind to describe HD since it screws up
conventional radio bandwidth. HD is harmful technology. *

It's called progress.
(I take it your talking about AM HD.)

How is it "useless" to allow multiple streams of programming on the same
station? *That's not useless to me...more channels, more choices.

The bandwidth that it might "screw up" isn't being used for anything anyway.
Like most digitization, is is finding ways to use resources more
efficiently.

The same channel? Now that might be useful. No, IBOC is not on
channel, it used adjacent channels. In the old days, you would get in
trouble if you station had sidebands exceeding your alotted BW. Much
engineering effect went into good bandlimiting.

Programming? Does propping up some right wing loon reading faxes from
the Heritage Society count as programming? Were up to 3rd tier
wingnuts like Rusty Humphries. WIth HD we can get 4th tier wingnuts.
Maybe the Joe the Plumber show.

Old November 24th 08, 09:38 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 23, 2:06*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On Nov 23, 7:18*am, Rfburns wrote:
On Nov 23, 3:45 am, wrote:

On Nov 22, 7:27 pm, Telamon

wrote:
In article
,

*Rfburns wrote:
On Nov 22, 7:07 pm, wrote:
On Nov 22, 4:41 pm, Telamon

wrote:

[...]

rather than useless technology. Actually, useless is to kind to
describe HD since it screws up conventional radio bandwidth. HD is
harmful technology.

Well unless someone went around and erased all the hard drives the
design is still around. TSMC must still have the masks so the design can
still be produced for whomever ends up owning it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

This is supposed to be some new low power design, not the current
technology.

You really need the schematics to keep the product alive. Most chips
get tweaks during their lifetime. The mask shop doesn't necessarily
get the layout data. What you send to the mask shop goes through
considerable processing. Polygons are reduced by detecting overlapping
shapes. The layer itself gets sized to compensate for the process.

In any event, the people needed to produce the product (design and
test) are still there.
Old November 24th 08, 09:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 23, 12:35*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On Nov 22, 7:27*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*Rfburns wrote:
On Nov 22, 7:07 pm, wrote:
On Nov 22, 4:41 pm, Telamon

wrote:

[...]

Why would anyone flame this news? This is terrible. Do you know why the
test engineer went berserk? I can't believe the reason stated. If it was
me I would just quit and work somewhere else. I have actually done this
in the past so it's not just words.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

The flame comes from pointing out that the CEO, HR, and operations
person are not really needed. [Hey, I'm sorry they died, but the
product will live.] In most technology companies, the brass doesn't
understand the technology, at least in anything but the most cursory
simplistic level. However, they don't have to understand what is
happening. If you don't produce something that works, you get fired.

One of the chip companies I worked at had a revision nomenclature that
went A B C F I R E D. If you don't get it working by the D rev, you
are history. Most chips need at least one rev, maybe two. I don't
believe I did anything that required three revs.
Old November 24th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

None of this matters as HD radio is dead anyway. Thank God.

No, far from it. The technology will improve like every other technological
advance, and is here to stay.

Old November 24th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The same channel? Now that might be useful. No, IBOC is not on
channel, it used adjacent channels. In the old days, you would get in
trouble if you station had sidebands exceeding your alotted BW. Much
engineering effect went into good bandlimiting.

While they are "on the sides" it's still on channel.

Programming? Does propping up some right wing loon reading faxes from
the Heritage Society count as programming? Were up to 3rd tier
wingnuts like Rusty Humphries. WIth HD we can get 4th tier wingnuts.
Maybe the Joe the Plumber show.

Where on HD are they programming 4th tier wingnuts?

Old November 25th 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 24, 8:37 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On Nov 23, 12:35 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On Nov 22, 7:27 pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

Rfburns wrote:
On Nov 22, 7:07 pm, wrote:
On Nov 22, 4:41 pm, Telamon

wrote:

[...]

I can get to the story at EE Times.

http://www.zimbio.com/pilot?ID=xplkM...ooting/news&UR
L=http%3A%2F%2Feetimes.com%2Fnews%2Flatest%2FshowA rticle.jhtml%3Bjsession
id%3D%3FarticleID%3D212100913

The test engineer that did the shooting was laid off or fired and came
back later that day for a meeting with the CEO, a VP, and the head of
HR. They were probably going over his termination compensation package.
He killed them at that meeting and not because he was told to work on HD
chips.

http://www.zimbio.com/pilot?ID=Hpv-N...ooting/news&UR
L=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mercurynews.com%2Fci_11027673%3 Fsource%3Dmost_viewed

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

No - Trust me on this. The poor soul flipped out because of HD
radio. Really!