Old May 3rd 09, 06:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default HCJB Stuff

Put out a query on our local radio stations 'Trading Post' program to see if
anyone in the area had any HCJB memorabilia.

Woman called me and has a hat (unworn), posters from the early 80's and some
station literature.

Have to see what it all looks like tomorrow.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old May 3rd 09, 10:12 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 3, 1:52�pm, dxAce wrote:
Put out a query on our local radio stations 'Trading Post' program to see if
anyone in the area had any HCJB memorabilia.

Woman called me and has a hat (unworn), posters from the early 80's and some
station literature.

Have to see what it all looks like tomorrow.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Steve,

Keep us posted on what you find. I was just thinking about how much
HCJB used to be everywhere on the dial back when I was a kid. I sure
miss their programming.

Mike
Old May 4th 09, 12:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 3, 6:32�pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:

Voice of the Andes was like WWV to me,
another beacon of a signal,
always used as a reference on the drifty old analog dial.

Yeah, Bob, I think it was the first station I heard when my parents
gave me my first SW portable back 1967. HCJB English religious
programming was the strongest signal, as I remember. It was enough to
really stoke my curiosity. I found a DX column in some popular tech
magazine at the library and was ordering my first WRTH from Gilfer by
1968.

Listening to HCJB's current limited lineup of Spanish (along with some
Portuguese and German) programming just isn't the same.

Like Steve, I think some of the old pennants would be really cool.

Mike
Old May 4th 09, 12:31 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
Mike wrote:

On May 3, 6:32?pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:

Voice of the Andes was like WWV to me,
another beacon of a signal,
always used as a reference on the drifty old analog dial.

Yeah, Bob, I think it was the first station I heard when my parents
gave me my first SW portable back 1967. HCJB English religious
programming was the strongest signal, as I remember. It was enough to
really stoke my curiosity. I found a DX column in some popular tech
magazine at the library and was ordering my first WRTH from Gilfer by
1968.

Listening to HCJB's current limited lineup of Spanish (along with some
Portuguese and German) programming just isn't the same.

Like Steve, I think some of the old pennants would be really cool.

As a teenager I came across a busted SW tube radio, did a little work on
it and put up a horizontal long wire in the backyard. The first time it
fired up I had HCJB on it all the way from Quito Ecuador. I was floored.
I could not believe I had a radio that got a signal from that far away.
I had family members listen and nobody else thought it was that big a
deal.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old May 4th 09, 12:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 3, 7:31*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*Mike wrote:
[...]

Ventura, California- Hide quoted text -

Good post Telamon. I flipped the first time I heard them also, great
show and real quality programming. I couldn't believe I was hearing
this station "from the Andes".....though I wasn't quite sure exactly
where it was so I checked out their QTH on my wall map.

Of course I just had to write them being a newbie, with a very excited
written letter and a post card of Cincinnati and one from my village
and within a month I got my QSL card along with a handwritten letter
from a fella in the station telling me to be on the look out - - that
I would be receiving something else from the station.

I received a box, in between a small and medium size package that had
all kinds of goodies in them. From what I remember, there was a small
calendar and a big calendar. Literature on the history of the station
and Quito, Ecuador itself. Three pennants, two small ones and one
extremely big one IMO - like the pennants of baseball teams. Either
two or three pens and a little pad of stationary from the station, I
think I may be missing one other thing but I can't think of it.

Old May 4th 09, 02:23 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Bushcraftgregg" wrote in message
[...]

Somewhere in my skunkworks, I still have an HCJB pennant and program guide.
I can't remember the name of the program (it was a DX specific program), but
I do know that it is no longer run on HCJB, they stopped it a few years
after I got the pennant. I also have a nice tape sent at the same time of
music of the Andes. I wish my brain still worked, and I could remember the
name of the person I corresponded with at the time.. it's hell getting
older.

Old May 4th 09, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

Somewhere in my skunkworks, I still have an HCJB pennant and program
guide. I can't remember the name of the program (it was a DX specific
program), but I do know that it is no longer run on HCJB, they stopped it
a few years after I got the pennant. I also have a nice tape sent at the
same time of music of the Andes. I wish my brain still worked, and I could
remember the name of the person I corresponded with at the time.. it's
hell getting older.

Found it.. it was Ralph Kurtenbach that I had corresponded with and who sent
the goodies.

Old May 5th 09, 03:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article
,
Bushcraftgregg wrote:

On May 3, 7:31*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article
,

*Mike wrote:
[...]

I've never mailed reports for QSL cards. It must be nice to have those
physical reminders of the good times in the past.

HCJB always had this corny serial called unshackled. I ended up
listening to a number of them just to hear that organ music.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old May 5th 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In article ,
"Brenda Ann" wrote:

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

Somewhere in my skunkworks, I still have an HCJB pennant and program
guide. I can't remember the name of the program (it was a DX specific
program), but I do know that it is no longer run on HCJB, they stopped it
a few years after I got the pennant. I also have a nice tape sent at the
same time of music of the Andes. I wish my brain still worked, and I could
remember the name of the person I corresponded with at the time.. it's
hell getting older.

Found it.. it was Ralph Kurtenbach that I had corresponded with and who sent
the goodies.

You think that guy might still be around? You ought to see if you can
find him and write him a letter.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

QSL - HCJB Australia Tebojockey Shortwave 0 April 12th 05 07:00 AM
HCJB new schedule Mike Terry Shortwave 0 September 29th 04 06:59 PM
HCJB Australia A04 N8KDV Shortwave 7 April 3rd 04 06:47 PM
HCJB A04 N8KDV Shortwave 0 March 25th 04 11:58 AM
A04 HCJB N8KDV Shortwave 0 March 19th 04 09:51 PM