Old May 17th 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Eduardo - help me get this straight.....

On May 16, 8:33�pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
"PocketRadio" wrote in message

On May 16, 6:58 pm, wrote:

In previous groups you've agreed that AM hd is, in your words,
"dreadful". You've also made many other negative leaning statements
concerning iBiquity digital but we won't go into these right now.

Now that you've made your real feelings public, how can you defend
digital radio at all in its current dismal state? Really Eduardo,
you seem to be playing both sides as it suits you. Have I missed
something?

Eduardo is just a silly bean-counter that is close to retirement, and
couln't really give a **** about radio, anymore.

I'm principally a programmer, not an accountant. And I could have retired at
any time in the last 10 years, but doing projects ranging from Mega 98.3 in
Argentina to the Recuerdo network in the US are way too much fun.

As to "giving a ****" you might trywww.americanradiohistory.comto see how
much I care about radio.

Univision is into HD
Radio, so Eduardo is just drinking Bob "the Scammer Booble" Struble's
Cool-Aid. ...

You told us that your are a VP in charge of research. Boy, I am
jealous - I wish Vicki was under me!
Old May 17th 09, 09:32 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 16, 6:58 pm, wrote:

[...]

jealous - I wish Vicki was under me!- Hide quoted text -

That "almost" made me laugh. ;-)
Old May 17th 09, 10:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 16, 11:57*pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

On May 16, 8:29 pm, "David Eduardo" wrote:
wrote in message

?

FM HD sounds good, and has practical applications such as narrowcasting,
ethnic services, etc. And it really does not interfere with any other
usable
service... so why not let it continue? It's likely that the recession has
reduced or eliminated HD's chances of long term viability, but it does
not
hurt to leave it on.

You've got to admit you've had a change of heart. *Going from a hard-
core proponent to a very reduced and subdued "FM HD sounds good" is
nothing short of amazing. *And, in your case, trashes any credibility
you might have had. *But it's good that you've become honest.

I said previously that the current economy was likely going to set HD back
enough so that it would lose its window of opportunity. There is a
contraction in the economy at all level; consumers will not buy new home
radios nor will they buy new cars with HD. By the time the economy recovers,
we will be that much closer to WiMax and other delivery systems.

There are plenty of things on the "old" agenda that are not going to happen
due to the economy, and HD is just one of them.

To refute your "FM HD sounds good" statement * - The difference in
sound quality is insignificant. *Especially when you consider that the
vast majority of radio listeners today couldn't correctly chose
whether they were hearing an analog or digital signal. *In fact, I'd
be willing to wager that you couldn't either. *I'd invite you over and
do a fascinating demonstration to prove it to you but you scare me,
therefore, I won't and you probably wouldn't anyway.

We have done the same comparisons ourselvs, so no thanks. The issue is that
a station music do separate processing for the digital stream to the HD
gear, or there will be no gain and considerable destruction of the digital
audio. When done right by good engineers, there is a considerable difference
that anyone can hear. First in noticability is that since the noise floor is
much lower, more dynamic range can be preserved. Second, the nasty 75 us FM
analog preemphasis curve does not apply to digital, so there is another area
of gain.

The extra channels and services point is dead. *Consumers are
saturated and don't care and most broadcasters don't have the
resources to support them - thank God.

Oddly, there is a rush to rent Hd2s by services ranging from Hindia and
other Indian languages to missing formats like contemporary Hispanic
Christian and Tejano, and they are driving receiver sales.

As a good friend of mine recently said. *I'd rather see radio
completely fail then to see iBiquity digital succeed. *I'm going to
continue, in my small and limited way, to see that iBiquity fails big
time.

Since the investments are already made, and nearly all viable Top 100 market
FMs have HD, they will stay in place, and we will se what the end game is..
AM, as a band, is dead, so, short of having AM radios spit out gold coins,
nothing is going to help AM stations...- Hide quoted text -

Eduardo - though you were an asshole with me yearssssss ago in here
(under another monicker), telling me I didn't hear a station that
apparently you could never log, though it was proven I DID hear the
station.ahem I will ask you this question and you can look into your
crystal ball and give me the answer for the archives.

Are you trying to say or are others, that there will be "literally" no
AM radio stations? I will paint the picture so there is no
misunderstanding in what I am asking. Will there be day, and if yes -
- when in approx. years - - that I will literally turn on the switch
to my GE P-780 (Thank you Brenda Ann) and there will be just simply
nothing but static?

Old May 17th 09, 10:26 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 17, 4:51*am, dxAce wrote:
wrote:

On May 16, 6:58?pm, wrote:
[...]

I only saw reference to David Gleason, nothing about David Eduardo.

'Eduardo' is a fabrication of Gleason's. He began using that schtick circa 2000
and claims now to be Hispanic.

LMFAO- Hide quoted text -

Steve, not to doubt you, because I vaguely remember the threads or
something close to it. But can you give the link (via archives) when
that soap opera went down? (the Eduardo is a fabrication of Gleason's
thing) I would like to refresh my memory. If you can't, no problem.

Old May 17th 09, 10:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bushcraftgregg wrote:

On May 16, 6:58?pm, wrote:
[...]

Heck, I can't recall exactly. One would have to search the archives.

Old May 17th 09, 01:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Bushcraftgregg" wrote in message
Are you trying to say or are others, that there will be "literally" no
AM radio stations? I will paint the picture so there is no
misunderstanding in what I am asking. Will there be day, and if yes -
- when in approx. years - - that I will literally turn on the switch
to my GE P-780 (Thank you Brenda Ann) and there will be just simply
nothing but static?

That could someday be the case during the day, but I doubt it. There will
always be non-profits that will stay on the air since they don't count ad
revenues. Among these will be public radio stations, religious stations,
etc., and if the band were that empty, you can bet there would be an uptake
on pirate activities.

Old May 17th 09, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

I only saw reference to David Gleason, nothing about David Eduardo.

'Eduardo' is a fabrication of Gleason's. He began using that schtick circa
2000
and claims now to be Hispanic.

Eduardo is my second given name, my baptismal name, and I pretty much
started using it as a way of not using my last name on BBS posts, Usenet and
now the Internet... dating back to The Well in the mid.80's.

Old May 17th 09, 06:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

David Eduardo wrote:

"dxAce" wrote in message

I only saw reference to David Gleason, nothing about David Eduardo.

'Eduardo' is a fabrication of Gleason's. He began using that schtick circa
2000
and claims now to be Hispanic.

Eduardo is my second given name, my baptismal name, and I pretty much
started using it as a way of not using my last name on BBS posts, Usenet and
now the Internet... dating back to The Well in the mid.80's.

'Eduardo', as usual, you are full of ****! Nobody, except yourself, ever
baptized you 'Eduardo'.

Old May 17th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Bushcraftgregg" wrote in message

Eduardo - though you were an asshole with me yearssssss ago in here
(under another monicker), telling me I didn't hear a station that
apparently you could never log, though it was proven I DID hear the
station.ahem I will ask you this question and you can look into your
crystal ball and give me the answer for the archives.

I've always used "david" and either my last name or other given name to
post. I don't use monikers, even in gladiator forums like
alt.politics.immigration.

Are you trying to say or are others, that there will be "literally" no
AM radio stations? I will paint the picture so there is no
misunderstanding in what I am asking. Will there be day, and if yes -
- when in approx. years - - that I will literally turn on the switch
to my GE P-780 (Thank you Brenda Ann) and there will be just simply
nothing but static?

AM has lost nearly all it's audience, with the under age 50 group giving
less than 10% of its radio listening to the band, Since advertisers put a
brick wall at 49 or 55 years of age for campaigns, there is rapidly, even
without the recession, falling revenue.

The viable format on AM, news/talk, is moving to FM. When the significant
news talkers in markets like Chattanoga, TN, are both on FM, it means there
is nothing to make people go to AM for. And it is now absolutely proven that
when the same format is moved to FM, the desirable younger 35-54 demos will
listen, and a lot. So AM will be left with a few niche religious and ethnic
and brokered options, and sputter on for many years, but with essentially no
audience. In smaller markets, where there are not enough ethnic or preaching
options, many will go dark.

At some point, the band will clear out enough to be reorganized with fewer,
higher powered stations, perhaps. But as the existing marketable listeners
age and the formats move to FM, overall AM listening will hit under 5% in
the next 5 to 7 years and then nobody will listen. In many markets, already,
AM use is nearly that low... Scrantoon /NE PA is now around 8% AM use.

DO I HAVE THIS STRAIGHT? Channel Cop CB 1 April 9th 08 05:25 PM
FS: Wm. Nye Co. Straight Key Bill Golden Equipment 0 March 8th 08 05:54 AM
FS: Wm. Nye Co. Straight Key Bill Golden Swap 0 March 8th 08 05:54 AM
FS:STRAIGHT KEY DAVID Swap 0 February 4th 04 07:00 PM
let me get this straight...................... CB 10 December 13th 03 09:01 AM