Old May 21st 09, 08:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default (OT) Earthquake in LA--5.0

On May 19, 9:19*pm, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,
*"David Eduardo" wrote:

wrote in message
www.devilfinder.com
Long Beach California Below Sea Level

N'Awlins is about six feet below Sea level.
The lowest point below Sea level in Los Angeles County is about nine
feet below Sea level at Wilmington.There are some other Cities in
America that are at least partially below Sea level.
cuhulin

Parts of the area in CA from La Quinta through Indio, Coachella, and around
the Salton Sea are at or below sea level. It's amusing to see my GPS showing
below sea level readings. Like being at the Dead Sea.

I'm currently 12 feet above sea level. If I go downstairs I'll only be
about 2 feet above.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

***arf * arf*** that was funny.:-)
Old May 21st 09, 08:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 20, 8:47*am, dave wrote:
Telamon wrote:

I'm currently 12 feet above sea level. If I go downstairs I'll only be
about 2 feet above.

You should probably think about moving pretty soon.

I wished no one in RRS lived in California or any of the surrounding
fault areas. Because when it goes down, I mean "really" goes down, it
will be unlike anything just about any of us has seen.
Old May 21st 09, 08:55 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On May 21, 12:31*am, Telamon
wrote:
In article ,

*dave wrote:
Telamon wrote:

I'm currently 12 feet above sea level. If I go downstairs I'll only be
about 2 feet above.

You should probably think about moving pretty soon.

I'm in no hurry. I figure with the global cooling going on there is
nothing to worry about.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Move to SW Ohio Telamon.:-) IMO it is one of the safest areas to live
in. Until recently, last summer, when we actually had those hurricane
winds it was. From what I have been told that was only a taste test. I
couldn't believe that day. I could actually "see" the wind. To many of
you that live in those areas I am sure that isn't a big deal, but it
gave me much respect for the wind that I never had before. My antennas
never flinched.patting my back

Old May 21st 09, 10:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"Bushcraftgregg" wrote in message
On May 19, 1:54 pm, Bob Dobbs wrote:
wrote:

There is a Long Beach,Mississippi too,

My first pirate (WLBM 1530) was there in the early 60s, used a rooftop
two turn loop around the eaves, had an FM station on an "S" shaped
folded dipole but never settled on a constant frequency and was on the
verge of airing a pirate TV ch2 when I became a hippie instead. We used
to hang out at the Merry Mansion over by Cowan Rd before Camille got it.

--

Operator Bob
Echo Charlie 42

That's a pretty good pirate story there.

Got a better one, and an FCC letter to show for it.

1973, I was 18. I set up a 20 watt FM pirate in a small town about 25 miles
outside of Portland, OR. There was a large ridge between me and the city,
so virtually no signal got out of there toward Portland, and not much got
into the area FROM Portland.

The TX was a homebrew redesign of a 220 MHz AM ham rig. The coils were
simple to rewind. The oscillator stage was at ~12 MHz IIRC, and all had to
do to make it FM (it was a variable oscillator to start with) was to add a
varactor diode and bias network.

I built my own stereo modulator for it using Compactron tubes. It wasn't the
most stable, since it was a free running 19 KHz oscillator, but it did work.

Range on the setup, including a home-made 1/4 wave vertical dipole on my
roof, was ~ 15 miles, and could be heard much further away at the top of a
mountain about 26 miles distant, on a Sony stereo boom box (one of the very
earliest such). Don't know what the range on a decent car radio would have
been, since the car I drove back then didn't have a radio in it.

I had a deal with a local record shop where they would loan me a new LP in
exchange for a public radio style sponsorship plug. It worked out really
well, and I had a good listenership (remember that signal problem mentioned
above?).

It all came crashing in one day when the local FCC field engineer stopped by
(probably didn't help that I was dissing the FCC fairly heavily) to shut me
down. Seems that I was interfering with the channel 12 TV reception (nearly
non-existant at the best of times) of a neighbor. Two guys came to my door
and asked me if I had a pirate radio station. After admitting I did, they
asked to see it. I showed them the setup, and they asked if I had a
microphone (stupid question, since I obviously did, and they could see it
there on the boom at the console). I said yes, and they said "open it, and
tell your listeners you're going off the air by order of the FCC." I got on
and made my spiel, then they said, "now, turn it off, and LEAVE it off!"

They didn't even confiscate anything (amazing, that was, especially since
hanging on the window frame above my console was my 3rd. class phone license
with broadcast endorsement, which wasn't even cancelled, and I went on to
gain a 1st class phone license a few years later), but I did get a nice
letter from them a few weeks later. Paraphrasing: You done it. Don't do it
again, or we'll slam your butt in jail or fine you $20G, or both!..

It was fun. It wasn't my last pirate. I even had one in Portland on AM a
year later. Cat and mouse with Uncle Charlie.. it's the American way.

Old May 21st 09, 10:37 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

[...]

Congrats! You've actually owned more radio stations than 'Eduardo' ever did!

Old May 21st 09, 12:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
dave wrote:

Telamon wrote:

I'm currently 12 feet above sea level. If I go downstairs I'll only be
about 2 feet above.

You should probably think about moving pretty soon.

I'm in no hurry. I figure with the global cooling going on there is
nothing to worry about.

There is no cooling going on. In fact, the warming will kick into high
gear as soon as the sunspots start going back up. The ice is melting
faster than ever.
Old May 21st 09, 12:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Bushcraftgregg wrote:
On May 20, 8:47 am, dave wrote:
Telamon wrote:

I'm currently 12 feet above sea level. If I go downstairs I'll only be
about 2 feet above.

You should probably think about moving pretty soon.

I wished no one in RRS lived in California or any of the surrounding
fault areas. Because when it goes down, I mean "really" goes down, it
will be unlike anything just about any of us has seen.

Don't be ridiculous. We have spent many billions retrofitting in the
past 15 years. Even when we had 40 billion dollars in damage, we only
lost about 75 lives.
Old May 21st 09, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Ahhhhhhhnold knocks California Voters.
http://www.libertypost.org/cgi-bin/r...?ArtNum=264802

Ahhhhhhhhhhnold once said he would like to be prez of U.S.A.
How many of y'all would vote for that?
Ahhhhhhhhhhhnold was born in Austria.
cuhulin

Old May 21st 09, 10:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"dxAce" wrote in message

It was fun. It wasn't my last pirate. I even had one in Portland on AM a
year later. Cat and mouse with Uncle Charlie.. it's the American way.

Congrats! You've actually owned more radio stations than 'Eduardo' ever
did!

I have never owned an illegal, law-breaking pirate station. I have owned a
bunch of legal, licensed AM and FM stations... even one commercial SW
license I chose to surrender.

OT - Earthquake harvey[_2_] Shortwave 4 May 2nd 08 04:04 AM
(OT) Earthquake dxAce Shortwave 16 April 20th 08 06:14 AM
(OT) Earthquake rtc[_3_] Shortwave 1 April 19th 08 02:39 AM
(OT) Earthquake [email protected] Shortwave 0 August 11th 05 05:20 PM
Earthquake Burr Patterson, Jr. Shortwave 6 November 4th 04 01:12 AM